IGNORED

Pearson & Fleming : OUT

Marina's Rolls Royce

9 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Win every game- hahahaha! When have we ever done that?

Everyone's fault bar the Manager.

Sorry- I question him. Just about every Manager has a better track record over the same time scale.

When was the last time we won at Barnsley, Marina? I’m pretty sure every other manager in the last decade has failed to do that. 

I don’t know what your expectations are, but our inconsistencies are as clear as the lack of balance in our squad.

We have no option but to wait it out until the summer at which point we simply must strengthen. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I agree with all of that. My worry is Pearson had the last few months of last season to assess the squad. With that in mind he signed King Simpson James Atkinson and Tanner. Now Tanner been injured so that has been unlucky. What have the 3 older players brought to the side?

James certainly tries to be an organiser but he doesn’t have the mobility needed for this level. So how much do you trade off for leadership? 

King I liked more than James but his body just isn’t up to it anymore. Ok so you say a punt to help here and there but think that has failed because he has been missing for far too many games. 

Simpson another punt who just did not work at all. Talk about dressing room influence but couldn’t last the season. That is not a good look for Nigel. 

Then we have Atkinson. Now unfortunately Baker’s injury I think thrust Atkinson into a situation he wasn’t quite ready for. I still think can be a good player. However, for a big lad, he isn’t really a big lad. He doesn’t play big which contributes to your point of not being able to win a header. Adding to that, he is quite slow on the turn. So that is a worrying combination and yet it is the example of the type of player Pearson will sign with some money behind him. So having no money to fix the entire squad is 1 thing but how has he spent the money he has had? Not very well and judging by his comments about Atkinson over the season, I think Nigel himself has been a bit surprised. 

I don’t want to come off as having a blind hatred for NP because I don’t. I think he came into a horrible situation. That said, think we needed(still need) someone fresher. I look at him in interviews and during the game. He is pretty calm. Now a calm head can usually be a positive but I get the feeling his heart just really isn’t in for the fight anymore.

Something isn’t working anyway. For all the situation, we don’t have back to back wins this season. We still concede the same type of goals. We still concede late often enough. Some of this will be the squad but the squad has enough about it to win 2 in a row or to have 3 wins and a draw in a 5 game stretch. Think the squad has been let down as much as NP has been let down by the squad

Think James has been ok, don't think King was brought in to play too often and not convinced Simpson was either. It's all ifs and buts but there's clearly been something wrong with the club culture and I'm guessing they were brought in to address it. I think Atkinson has looked good, but it's his first season in the championship, same with Tanner.

Equally I'm not blindly defending Pearson, I just think that we're making the same mistakes we have for the last few seasons now. I'd have liked to see Pearson address them, I just think in fairness to him we are struggling for personnel. There's been talk of signing championship players but we're going to struggle to pay for them. My main concern is the tactical decisions he makes mid game than anything else. Can't help but feel he's the right person to rebuild the club, but not the right person to manage the team. Wouldn't be against moving him upstairs and having someone come in to run the team and work with Pearson long term.

• Like 2

I think keep NP.  He needs money and to be able to shape his own team.

I do wonder what Richard Gould is like as a CEO, does he get frustrated quickly and want to pull the trigger but someone holds him back or is he an SL type of guy and give a manager all the time in the world?

Full time last night and I was thinking... it really isn't working. Win a game, lose a game, then draw a game, then lose.    

But, after a snooze, I am thinking we need to give him a dozen games next season and the summer transfer window to see what he can do.

My biggest concern is our inconsistencies in play, how we can play the odd game looking like a player away from being a top half side to a team that look like the met for the first time in the pub that morning is baffling.

But the books need balancing, Championship status needs to be maintained and we are seeing academy players step up.

I'm pleased it isn't my job to try and sell season tickets for next season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Depressingly he did target the defence and stated he was "building from the back" but due to our financial situation all that was available was Atkinson and Tanner. Both players are really ones for the future.

I think losing Baker has been massive but he knew his injury record when he signed him and to put so much pressure on a player that has that injury record is a bit silly.

Anyway I'm still NP in, mainly because he doesn't have the ability to address things game by game he can only address things in transfer windows where he is hamstrung by our financial situation so that's been 2 chances where he hasn't really had a good  chance.

While you’re right in pointing out the gamble in resigning Baker because of his injury record, im not sure anyone could have ever had the foresight to not sign him for the reasons he’s actually been ruled out. 

Looking at the squad, him and Kalas would definitely be the first choice pairing in a 4. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That’s all very loyal, but your last paragraph is the interesting one.  When I look at what Steve Cooper has done at Forest it becomes only too clear that there are managers out there that can have a transformative effect on a club.  Of course we can’t know whether another manager might have done better, but it is hard to believe that any other manager would have done much worse.  What we saw last night is a team that appeared in the space of a few days to have forgotten the basics, and that is very worrying indeed.  Pearson has had over a year now, and yet the state of play on the field remains much the same: inconsistent, frequently error-riddled and at times downright embarrassing.  I think it’s absolutely fair that people should question where we’re going.  Is Pearson the right man to take us forward?  I really, really don’t know.

And would Steve Cooper or someone like him been up for the challenge here, that frankly goes beyond what's happening on the pitch?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

That is a completely fair point. We do though have 6 experienced pros in that team.  Our defence this season has been worse than anyone could have imagined and it shows no real sign of improving at all. It’s very hard to feel positive right now when Massengo is off, Scott maybe as well.  Pearson cannot improve the defence or our ability to pass the ball and his signing record is average at best so far.  

I appreciate the signings haven’t been breathtaking. But who’s to say what influence the likes of King and James have had on Scott and the rest of the youngsters. 

It’s still too early doors to be calling for Nige’s head in my opinion. Especially when you consider where we’re at as a club in terms of how tolerant we are when allowing a manager to build. 

Nige is proven. We haven’t had a proven manager since Coppell. There have been some green shoots, but you’ve gotta take the rough with the smooth. 

Admittedly last night was abhorrent, but the sooner we get used to the fact we’re going to have performances like that while we’re in transition, the better. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

While you’re right in pointing out the gamble in resigning Baker because of his injury record, im not sure anyone could have ever had the foresight to not sign him for the reasons he’s actually been ruled out. 

Looking at the squad, him and Kalas would definitely be the first choice pairing in a 4. 

Starting to feel like Kalas is dining out on his season with Webster. Undoubtedly a good tackler but his positional awareness, leadership and ability in the air are poor these days. Taylor Moore is undoubtedly not good enough but he was crucified by some last season when he'd actually been thrown under the bus by Kalas ball watching, take the goals against Norwich as an example. Was the same at the Euros as well. Strange one as there's clearly a class defender there but it's becoming harder and harder to see it.

Rip it up and start again at the back. Pring and Tanner at full back but the mess that is our centre backs needs a complete refresh bar Atkinson and possibly Cundy. If Klose can be a regular player next season I'd keep him too.

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I agree with all of that. My worry is Pearson had the last few months of last season to assess the squad. With that in mind he signed King Simpson James Atkinson and Tanner. Now Tanner been injured so that has been unlucky. What have the 3 older players brought to the side?

James certainly tries to be an organiser but he doesn’t have the mobility needed for this level. So how much do you trade off for leadership? 

King I liked more than James but his body just isn’t up to it anymore. Ok so you say a punt to help here and there but think that has failed because he has been missing for far too many games. 

Simpson another punt who just did not work at all. Talk about dressing room influence but couldn’t last the season. That is not a good look for Nigel. 

Then we have Atkinson. Now unfortunately Baker’s injury I think thrust Atkinson into a situation he wasn’t quite ready for. I still think can be a good player. However, for a big lad, he isn’t really a big lad. He doesn’t play big which contributes to your point of not being able to win a header. Adding to that, he is quite slow on the turn. So that is a worrying combination and yet it is the example of the type of player Pearson will sign with some money behind him. So having no money to fix the entire squad is 1 thing but how has he spent the money he has had? Not very well and judging by his comments about Atkinson over the season, I think Nigel himself has been a bit surprised. 

I don’t want to come off as having a blind hatred for NP because I don’t. I think he came into a horrible situation. That said, think we needed(still need) someone fresher. I look at him in interviews and during the game. He is pretty calm. Now a calm head can usually be a positive but I get the feeling his heart just really isn’t in for the fight anymore.

Something isn’t working anyway. For all the situation, we don’t have back to back wins this season. We still concede the same type of goals. We still concede late often enough. Some of this will be the squad but the squad has enough about it to win 2 in a row or to have 3 wins and a draw in a 5 game stretch. Think the squad has been let down as much as NP has been let down by the squad

Got to say, I agree with this. The signings have been dreadful & the reluctance to sign a RB in January was negligent. The two best signings were already at the club in Weimann & Baker with the latter a huge gamble based on previous availability record.

I get he has slashed the budget but the inability to make us difficult to beat by tightening us up Is hard to believe. We are so easy to score against & whilst we are better going forward to his credit, the insistence on flogging Martin every week is bordering on plain stubbornness.

I was so excited by the appointment & whilst we can certainly be critical of Ashton and the Lansdowns for allowing the shit show that he inherited, in my opinion we should be doing better than we are. Maybe I’m blinkered as to how good some of our squad are but we could  be 5 points clear of drop zone on actual games played with 8 to go. Thank god for points deductions. 

I’ve stayed patient but don’t understand the free pass NP still gets. If we get another 6 points from last 8 I would be amazed & even more so given mounting injuries. 

Since Leicester, NP hasn’t achieved anything anywhere & if we could afford the change then I’d make it as don’t think he will here. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think that’s a pretty accurate analysis of things … the only issue I’d have is I don’t think he’s given up the fight yet.

Every time we produce a dismal performance, I listen to his post match interview and it calms me and leaves me thinking we have the right man in place. He says the right things, his analysis is spot on and he gives me an assurance that he’ll work to fix it.

However, how much longer will that confidence last?

We can’t just go on producing ****shows like last night. Just to take one playing ‘issue’ - why can’t he recognise that Martin can’t play 3 games a week in the only area where we are (very arguably) ‘overloaded’ in this unbalanced squad of ours. Martin is not a leader, not a Fammy in our own box heading away corners, so when running on empty not only is he powder puff in attack, he contributes little to nothing to the team. There is no justification for his inclusion in the team when he is knackered, it’s embarrassing for us, and it must be to him also.  

Enough talking now though, on to the ‘high performance centre’ and drill, drill, drill - like they’ve never experienced before. Sharpen their minds and bodies. They may lack skills, fitness, be tactically dumb, but it shouldn't be difficult from 30 odd players to pick out 11 winners and fighters and put them on the pitch to play for the shirt.

Lummydaze, it is indeed worrying more than 12 months into his tenure we’re back to the very start point of a creating a football team and echoing what was being said throughout last season. Depressing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

Nige is proven. We haven’t had a proven manager since Coppell. There have been some green shoots, but you’ve gotta take the rough with the smooth. 

Proven to do what?

He won League One with Leicester, and eventually the Championship, once he'd been given a squad that was too strong to fail. He then nearly relegated that team again and it turned out to be good enough to win the Premier League without him. Since then he's failed at Derby, failed in Belgium and ultimately failed at Watford (though I would accept that he was very unlucky, looked like succeeding when he was sacked and was also unwell).

He's experienced, yes, and not many achieve league titles, but he's not a serial winner. He's got as many promotions from this division as Danny Wilson has, and fewer than Ian Holloway.

1 hour ago, Akira said:

Jeez, it's the same old posters that literally have a meltdown if we lose one game. 

Gets tiring having to defend and highlight the difficulties Pearson has had, which were imbedded deep within the squad/club long before he arrived. The season is a marathon, not a sprint, and we all knew we needed to survive til the summer, which looks like he has now done, so he can clear out a lot of the shite, and if possible, bring fresh faces in. 

He's played loads of youngsters, which will always lead to inconsistent, poor results. They're young, they'll learn, in time. It also gives Pearson chance to see who can handle the pressure, perform well etc. 

The call for his head whenever we lose a game is down right embarrassing. Who in earth do we think we are? Seriously, we've got a manager in charge who is trying to instil the right attitude, which for too long has previously stunk at this club. It's never going to happen overnight, especially if he can't get rid of the deadwood/bad eggs. 

There isn't a single manager out there that would be able to perform better given the shit state the club was in when Pearson joined, along with having zero money to spend due to FFP. 

I am surprised at the reaction. It’s annoying to lose, but we’re almost certainly safe and have very little to play for. I understand people’s concerns regarding improvement - although we’re clearly far better offensively now.

I think perhaps, lots of people thought the ‘answer’ (whilst we had Johnson/Holden) was an experienced manager rather than inexperienced ‘head coach’. We’ve now got one, and he (ignoring context) has a worse record statistically than the head coaches. That’s obviously going to worry people. 

I have faith in Pearson, it’s clearly a huge piece of work to make us competitive again. I am enjoying going to games again, I hadn’t really been that bothered for the last couple of years. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Full time last night and I was thinking... it really isn't working. Win a game, lose a game, then draw a game, then lose.    

But, after a snooze, I am thinking we need to give him a dozen games next season and the summer transfer window to see what he can do.

My biggest concern is our inconsistencies in play, how we can play the odd game looking like a player away from being a top half side to a team that look like the met for the first time in the pub that morning is baffling.

But the books need balancing, Championship status needs to be maintained and we are seeing academy players step up.

I'm pleased it isn't my job to try and sell season tickets for next season.

Good post.

My concern isn’t with Pearson, though I accept progress has been limited, but with the whole scouting network.

I have no idea who is happy with the status quo there, NP, Gould, the owner or the chairman but it doesn’t fill me with much confidence for the summer.

There is limited capacity to change it around, King, O’Dowda, Cundy, Klose & Martin are all out of contract, though there are others we badly need to shift as well, but it is the identification of the new signings that worries me.

Last season was disastrous & for me the target this time around was simply to steer clear of danger whilst drastically reducing our wage bill. We have achieved that, but need to see signs of progression beyond this objective next year.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That’s all very loyal, but your last paragraph is the interesting one.  When I look at what Steve Cooper has done at Forest it becomes only too clear that there are managers out there that can have a transformative effect on a club.  Of course we can’t know whether another manager might have done better, but it is hard to believe that any other manager would have done much worse.  What we saw last night is a team that appeared in the space of a few days to have forgotten the basics, and that is very worrying indeed.  Pearson has had over a year now, and yet the state of play on the field remains much the same: inconsistent, frequently error-riddled and at times downright embarrassing.  I think it’s absolutely fair that people should question where we’re going.  Is Pearson the right man to take us forward?  I really, really don’t know.

You really think Cooper is operating under the same financial constraints as Pearson?

Inheriting the likes of Djed Spence, James Garner?

Signing Cook from Bournemouth (how much do you think he’s on?), Sturridge from Stoke, Panzo from Dijon & a 4th player in January alone.

Honestly? ******* deluded.

• Like 14
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, westonred said:

In Fairness to NP he didnt know that 3 of the 4 first choice defenders would be out for long periods of the season Baker Tanner and Kalas, yes it was a mistake to bring in Atkinson, clearly not good enough. Then he was limited to who was available when he brought in Klose who i think is quality and seems like a good addition to the squad

Why are we seeing posters say Atkinson is “clearly not good enough”?  Does he first group of 15 games count for nothing? 

He’s come back into a team shipping goals, played the majority of last night’s game at LB, and is primarily used to playing in a back 4.

I thought he was ok last night, I thought he was rusty first half Saturday, then did ok.  Was he so bad in the last 2 games?

He’s good enough for this level, he proved it earlier this season.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Starting to feel like Kalas is dining out on his season with Webster. Undoubtedly a good tackler but his positional awareness, leadership and ability in the air are poor these days. Taylor Moore is undoubtedly not good enough but he was crucified by some last season when he'd actually been thrown under the bus by Kalas ball watching, take the goals against Norwich as an example. Was the same at the Euros as well. Strange one as there's clearly a class defender there but it's becoming harder and harder to see it.

Rip it up and start again at the back. Pring and Tanner at full back but the mess that is our centre backs needs a complete refresh bar Atkinson and possibly Cundy. If Klose can be a regular player next season I'd keep him too.

I thought Cundy last night was very limited. I think he lost his man for the 2nd goal. Also looked a bit league1/2 in possession. Having said that most of them looked L1/2 last night. 

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I am surprised at the reaction. It’s annoying to lose, but we’re almost certainly safe and have very little to play for. I understand people’s concerns regarding improvement - although we’re clearly far better offensively now.

I think perhaps, lots of people thought the ‘answer’ (whilst we had Johnson/Holden) was an experienced manager rather than inexperienced ‘head coach’. We’ve now got one, and he (ignoring context) has a worse record statistically than the head coaches. That’s obviously going to worry people. 

I have faith in Pearson, it’s clearly a huge piece of work to make us competitive again. I am enjoying going to games again, I hadn’t really been that bothered for the last couple of years. 

I think there's a lot of truth in that. Think back to some of the bad runs and results under LJ and the amount of times we saw "imagine what an experienced, proven manager could do with this team", sometimes justified, sometimes not.

Unfortunately by the time we did get one, the circumstances have changed and he is hamstrung, regardless of what people want to claim. That's not to defend some of the performances or think that we shouldn't be doing any better than we are, but it does seem from the reaction to literally every setback that some had an expectation of the proven manager coming and him fixing it quickly. It doesn't work like that and anyone thinking otherwise was utterly deluded.

Of course, you then have the camp who claimed they'd just be happy avoiding relegation, yet seemingly unable to process that finishing lower midtable/just above relegation means that you'll lose a lot of matches and that, by their nature, losing a lot of matches inevtitably involves some poor performances.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Why are we seeing posters say Atkinson is “clearly not good enough”?  Does he first group of 15 games count for nothing? 

He’s come back into a team shipping goals, played the majority of last night’s game at LB, and is primarily used to playing in a back 4.

I thought he was ok last night, I thought he was rusty first half Saturday, then did ok.  Was he so bad in the last 2 games?

Yep, he's a tidy player. Not the finished article for the championship just yet but like HNM and others, he'll undoubtedly improve with better players around him. He's trying to move up a level whilst playing in one of the worst defences in the league, if he'd adapted perfectly and sorted our problems he wouldn't be playing for us next season.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I appreciate the signings haven’t been breathtaking. But who’s to say what influence the likes of King and James have had on Scott and the rest of the youngsters. 

It’s still too early doors to be calling for Nige’s head in my opinion. Especially when you consider where we’re at as a club in terms of how tolerant we are when allowing a manager to build. 

Admittedly last night was abhorrent, but the sooner we get used to the fact we’re going to have performances like that while we’re in transition, the better. 

I would give Pearson until Xmas. If barely anything has changed then get rid. If we are defending better and able to string 7 passes together then continue to see if he can progress further.  Massive summer for him transfer wise.  Atkinson is going to need to start looking like a £1.4m centre back soon 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Apparently not, because now all of a sudden, according to some,James is shite...!

Edited by glynriley

Just now, Northern Red said:

I think there's a lot of truth in that. Think back to some of the bad runs and results under LJ and the amount of times we saw "imagine what an experienced, proven manager could do with this team", sometimes justified, sometimes not.

Unfortunately by the time we did get one, the circumstances have changed and he is hamstrung, regardless of what people want to claim. That's not to defend some of the performances or think that we shouldn't be doing any better than we are, but it does seem from the reaction to literally every setback that some had an expectation of the proven manager coming and him fixing it quickly. It doesn't work like that and anyone thinking otherwise was utterly deluded.

Of course, you then have the camp who claimed they'd just be happy avoiding relegation, yet seemingly unable to process that finishing lower midtable/just above relegation means that you'll lose a lot of matches and that, by their nature, losing a lot of matches inevtitably involves some poor performances.

That's what it boils down to for me. By the time we had an experienced manager a lot of damage had been done. Both on and off the pitch. Whether Pearson is the right man I don't know, but he deserves the summer to try and properly shape the squad. The last few games have made me change my tune and I'd cash in on HNM plus Scott or Semenyo in return for a new defence and some proper midfielders.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

If you want something to look forwards to,,go book a holiday - we need,,all of us to be stronger than that...

The position we're in is down to rank bad leadership from the top over many years & was never something that could begin to be addressed short term.

I’ve not said it should be sorted short term but I don’t think it’s mad to expect some little bits of progress. He knows the problem but so far there’s no sign he can make even a modicum of difference to it.  

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

I would give Pearson until Xmas. If barely anything has changed then get rid. If we are defending better and able to string 7 passes together then continue to see if he can progress further.  Massive summer for him transfer wise.  Atkinson is going to need to start looking like a £1.4m centre back soon 

Considering he did at the start of the season and he's since had several injuries I'm sure he will do when he's fully fit and sharp.

• Like 4

Wasn't really paying attention to the commentary on Sky last night, but did they say that the average ago of our team was higher than that of the Barnsley side?

(Only mentioning it, as it might be a case of too many youth alongside too many who might not have the legs they once did and could this be part of the issue).

1 hour ago, tin said:

When was the last time we won at Barnsley, Marina? I’m pretty sure every other manager in the last decade has failed to do that. 

I don’t know what your expectations are, but our inconsistencies are as clear as the lack of balance in our squad.

We have no option but to wait it out until the summer at which point we simply must strengthen. 

We also hadn’t lost there for quite a long time! 

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I love this Forest comparison.

the players there are much better than our squad. Who, of our players makes it into that Forest team?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Why does Fleming need to go as well? Harsh.

I think it's fair that if the manager gets the Spanish, his support staff should as well.

If a good assistant is part of the success, then they are also part of the failure.

(Holden anyone?)

Not saying that either should go, just balancing the point you make.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Wasn't really paying attention to the commentary on Sky last night, but did they say that the average ago of our team was higher than that of the Barnsley side?

(Only mentioning it, as it might be a case of too many youth alongside too many who might not have the legs they once did and could this be part of the issue).

Yeah that was right.

It's been mentioned before ( @Davefevswill have the stats) but the average age of our squad masks that the bulk of it is at either end of the age spectrum, so it meets somewhere in the middle. We have very few, as in less than half a dozen, in the 'prime' of their career between about 25-29, and 2 of those are goalkeepers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

But the very nature of the youngsters is that they’re inconsistent. We shouldn’t be surprised. 

Tonight was a very inexperienced team. The more inexperienced performers you have, the more likely you are to be inconsistent. 

The sky commentator pointed out that Barnsley had a very young team whereas ours was about average for the Championship. I think he said their average age was 24 and ours 27. Not fact checked that myself. 

I appreciate we have a young/old age disttribution which affects the average. However, we certainly can't claim inconsistency due to it being a team full of youngsters.