IGNORED

Pearson & Fleming : OUT

Marina's Rolls Royce

6 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

The question isn't really about who do you want/who do you think is should come in, the question is being asked to say - what makes you think things will be better? - The point is, you are looking for a miracle appointment (your word)- someone who isn't wanted by anyone better than us, who will have next to no resources (less than NP after pay off), who may well have a smaller squad, who may not be able to sign anyone at all,  and who will be appointed by SL - who does not have the best record! -  and even if you could appoint any manager in the world on no wage at all  -the job is incredibly tough right now, we are in a shit position. 

Except it wasn't "my word"- I didnt mention any such "miracle appointment".

If you want to quote me to illustrate a point then at least be accurate please. @billywedlock stated that he thought NP  "is doing a miracle" and I countered that "turning wine into water was a different type of miracle". 

Your AW comments are comments taken from here- and certainly something I've never subscribed to- the fact that a small number of posters  used the old "just runs around a lot" has nothing to do with some amazing turn around for the player due to NP. 

Perhaps from an entirely one dimensional view, NP has indeed achieved the goal required by many- to stay up and in isolation is enough.

In my opinion is that he hasn't galvanised the squad, the performances have been really poor and he hasn't shown enough to warrant a third season. I think we have a greater quality squad than our results and performances suggest and even admitted to by Nige in his post match yesterday.

It's all rather academic in that whatever you or I think has little relevance as to whether NP will be granted a third season. I dont think he should and I also believe that there will be other individuals who can take us forward and would be very happy to come here. NP is not the only man in Europe capable of making progress for BCFC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

If you want to quote me to illustrate a point then at least be accurate please. @billywedlock stated that he thought NP  "is doing a miracle" and I countered that "turning wine into water was a different type of miracle". 

Your AW comments are comments taken from here- and certainly something I've never subscribed to- the fact that a small number of posters  used the old "just runs around a lot" has nothing to do with some amazing turn around for the player due to NP. 

Perhaps from an entirely one dimensional view, NP has indeed achieved the goal required by many- to stay up and in isolation is enough.

In my opinion is that he hasn't galvanised the squad, the performances have been really poor and he hasn't shown enough to warrant a third season. I think we have a greater quality squad than our results and performances suggest and even admitted to by Nige in his post match yesterday.

It's all rather academic in that whatever you or I think has little relevance as to whether NP will be granted a third season. I dont think he should and I also believe that there will be other individuals who can take us forward and would be very happy to come here. NP is not the only man in Europe capable of making progress for BCFC.

Lots of embarrassed posters thrashing around for any excuse to justify their Cult like support for our worst Manager in 20 years.

Just now, Waconda said:

Lots of embarrassed posters thrashing around for any excuse to justify their Cult like support for our worst Manager in 20 years.

It is indeed "cult" like ( possibly the spelling could be questioned). I really don't get how NP is still seen as the solution when clearly he is part of the problem.

Yesterday was horrible when the songs towards the end were really not helpful whilst the players applauding the fans got some unpleasant abuse. Perhaps NP acolytes feel he is with the fans and against the club? He has certainly been highly critical of the club yet not of his own failings.

NP ,imho, has never bonded with this club and, I suspect, is now looking at how best to protect his own financial position and reputation as I doubt very much he'll be much in demand anywhere else.

• Flames 3

5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It is indeed "cult" like ( possibly the spelling could be questioned). I really don't get how NP is still seen as the solution when clearly he is part of the problem.

Yesterday was horrible when the songs towards the end were really not helpful whilst the players applauding the fans got some unpleasant abuse. Perhaps NP acolytes feel he is with the fans and against the club? He has certainly been highly critical of the club yet not of his own failings.

NP ,imho, has never bonded with this club and, I suspect, is now looking at how best to protect his own financial position and reputation as I doubt very much he'll be much in demand anywhere else.

Nige has never been critical of his own failings to the best of my knowledge.

He has copped Covid at least twice though, could be suffering from long Covid and is struggling with that.  He (in my opinion) will walk when City are mathematically safe for the sake of his own health and his own ego. The big question (as ever) is who replaces him. 

• Like 1

This club is an utter fiasco on and off the pitch and to be held at home by the weakest team in the division by ten men, on the back of the unmitigated s****  we’ve endured since the autumn of 2019, is simply unacceptable.

In fact that makes us the weakest team in the division, and I don’t care that the league table says otherwise.

Lansdown should admit he’s reached the end of the line and put the club up for sale. Bringing in Pearson after the circus that was Holden’s tenure was a ballsy move but it has demonstrably failed. Nige should quietly exit stage right at the end of the season.

And there needs to be a mass cull of this first-team squad. Yes, I know there’s no money to bring anyone in but aging journeymen like Wells, Martin et al will get us relegated. 

We’re sick of hearing chancers like Ashton and Gould telling us to ignore the evidence of our eyes and that the club is prospering. It’s a dog’s dinner, and I fear there are some mightily grim days ahead.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, billywedlock said:

In the past this level of squad got us relegated. A huge success. NP is doing a miracle. 

So , who is the right man in your view ? 

That's a very generous interpretation of NP's time here.  It would be equally true to say this level of squad had us challenging for the play-off's under Holden. Obviously it was down hill all the way under DH in both results and entertainment after Weimann and Paterson got injured and he wasn't the right man for the job. 

I don't believe the overall ability of  the squad is play-off material but it's fair to say that NP isn't getting the best out of them.  He says it's 'personality' rather than technical ability.  He can be full of contradictions as he also has acknowledged in the past the players are not lacking effort and are a good group.   Also he's recruited five players and three of them were Leicester players for their 'personality' who have either been crocks or under-performed.   I guess NP means a never say die attitude when he cites 'personality.'  Do Bentley, Klose, Williams, Weimann, Martin lack 'personality?  Do the gifted talented young players lack 'personalty'?  To me it just sounds like a competitive man  plucking out spurious reasons post match on why the team he has managed and recruited for over a year is struggling.

I don't think it's good man management to run them down like that rather than taking personal responsibility for not getting the best out of them.   It can be fine margins in the Championship and changes in coaching and man management (Nottingham Forest) can transform things.  I am not necessarily advocating a change of manager but there is cause for concern particularly in his ability to recruit.  I think he needs to reflect on his own failure to get the best out of players who he acknowledges are not failing due to technical ability. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

3 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Apologies I misread your wine quote - I read it as 'water into wine' and thought you were saying we needed a different miracle to just staying up. I guess your point was actually we actually have a decent squad and NP is making them worse? Am I reading that correctly?

If so here is the squad (taken from OFS) - Bentley - been as good as ever since coming back. O'Leary - his best ever season for us. Dasilva - probably his best season overall and noticeable improvement as it progressed. Atkinson - Best ever season for us. Matty james - Best ever season for us. Williams - Best ever season for us. Martin - Best ever season for us. King - Best ever season for us. COD - Arguably there is still a better player in there, but stil Best ever season for us. Weimann - Best ever season for us. Pring - Best ever season for us. Baker - not best ever season for us as has missed most but was great when playing early on. Semenyo - Best ever season for us. Tanner - Best ever season for us. Wells - We could have got more out of him, suffered from the form of WSM and not getting game time. Kalas - Not been terrible, but I would definitely say he could have been better. Cundy - Best ever season for us. Klose - Best ever season for us. Vyner - not great and probably can do better than he has, I think most poeple would except he is not currently Champ standard. Bell - Best ever season for us. Towler - Best ever season for us. Scott - Best ever season for us. Conway - Best ever season for us. Benarous - Best ever season for us. HNM - Best ever season for us. Palmer - not his best for sure, I think this is mostly attitude. 

I know lots of people will look at that and say well it's there first season or first full season, or the first time they've even played (in the case of these youngsters) - And that's part of the point. We have a squad that are mostly inexperienced at this level or inexperienced altogether. There are players that you could argue could be better - Kalas probably the best case, not been terrible, but there is a better player there. maybe COD, Vyner, and Palmer but I think most people agree about their respective abilities and/or attitudes. 

I think the actual issue is the the entertainment value of the football and it ignores or financial position, current squad quality and lack of depth. We could definitely have played more entertaining football, but it would have been risky and we cannot afford to be relegated - for many reasons not least our actual finances.

When the attack started to come together earlier in the season we were actually playing some good stuff and there was a fair amount of praise - whilst accepting that defensively we were not good enough + conceding to many late goals, and had an inability to defend in the box and from set pieces. We are starting to see the signs of an improved defense (still a long way to go) and that has been in part from the 2 midfielders playing there part in defense that all makes the football less expansive and entertaining, but it's necessary to make those improvements. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

That's a very generous interpretation of NP's time here.  It would be equally true to say this level of squad had us challenging for the play-off's under Holden. Obviously it was down hill all the way under DH in both results and entertainment after Weimann and Paterson got injured and he wasn't the right man for the job. 

I don't believe the overall ability of  the squad is play-off material but it's fair to say that NP isn't getting the best out of them.  He says it's 'personality' rather than technical ability.  He can be full of contradictions as he also has acknowledged in the past the players are not lacking effort and are a good group.   Also he's recruited five players and three of them were Leicester players for their 'personality' who have either been crocks or under-performed.   I guess NP means a never say die attitude when he cites 'personality.'  Do Bentley, Klose, Williams, Weimann, Martin lack 'personality?  Do the gifted talented young players lack 'personalty'?  To me it just sounds like a competitive man  plucking out spurious reasons post match on why the team he has managed and recruited for over a year is struggling.

I don't think it's good man management to run them down like that rather than taking personal responsibility for not getting the best out of them.   It can be fine margins in the Championship and changes in coaching and man management (Nottingham Forest) can transform things.  I am not necessarily advocating a change of manager but there is cause for concern particularly in his ability to recruit.  I think he needs to reflect on his own failure to get the best out of players who he acknowledges are not failing due to technical ability. 

I think yesterday’s interview wasn’t his best by a long chalk…it definitely had contradictions.  It was as inconsistent with our on-pitch performances! ?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Adding to my post above, I think it's possible to say the former Leicester players haven't set the world a light. I think you are right there recruitment was about personality and players who know how he works. However I think it will have been driven in no small part by the fact we basically had no scouting or recruitment staff here, so the free transfers of players you know actually makes a lot of sense - especially when money is tight and you don't have anyone to check out the players you think have talent to see how much they would cost and/or if they have the right personality. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Great post Nick.

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I think you’ll find this will be his last job.

• Like 3

Just now, Davefevs said:

Yep, agree, a nice little retirement beckons in Devon, I reckon….nor would I blame him.

Indeed,  He’s here to have one last go at turning a dog shite of a club into a force in a few seasons.  He’s made some minor improvements, however not turned us into a consistent competitive team as of yet.  Will he get it right or even have the chance?  Players are letting him down IMO.. 

• Like 6

Can't say I'd be sorry to see him go now. Abrasive in interview after game (it appears). 

Covid in the family so missed today's game but dodged one by the sound of all reports. 

I probably will renew ST as I do every year but with only Fulham showing financial results worse than ours (with a few clubs to still declare) and the possibility of points deduction next season not great at the gate. Still, I'd miss the beer and the friends I see so...here's to next season. A day out every fortnight only spoilt by the 90 mins in the middle

@BCFC Richard Yep- it was a direct reply to @billywedlockwho stated that NP has worked a miracle and my wine into water comment was my belief that Nige has not made the best of the 'clubs in his bag'- in fact making them less good.

My feelings on the yoof he has blooded is that this has been down to no other choice ( sometimes only in his mind) but several of them were going to be knocking on the door before long in any case. The academy players are a result of years of hard work well before NP was even a glint in SL's eye and cannot be held responsible for their development. I struggle with how he has handled them- Towler in particular. He overlooked Dasilva and everyone felt it was a sign that he had no future here but NP had to play him and Dasilva is playing largely as he always could and should. There are no "miracles" in this.

Palmer is not so rubbish that he shouldn't be considered at all and the Bentley stand off was unfortunate whilst the Bakinson spat was pathetic. My belief is that NP has sewn doubt and discord in the squad when results are poor and constantly threatens players - it isn't tough love , it's a smokescreen of his own lack of game management or how he sets the team up.He seems incapable of ever saying- I got this one wrong.

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, agree, a nice little retirement beckons in Devon, I reckon….nor would I blame him.

Nor me! He has clearly struggled with his health and the challenge this presents when combined with the challenge at BCFC is probably too much for anyone . I think if he leaves he can do so having a 5/10 report card- nothing good and nothing bad all things considered.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, billywedlock said:

In the past this level of squad got us relegated. A huge success. NP is doing a miracle. 

NP is doing a miracle?   ......   C'mon now, own up?     Is that  Banana Kush or Durban Kush that your smokin'?             

• Haha 2

There isn't anyone better available to fix this mess. 

The club has been heading in this direction for years and it is going to take years to fix our finances. 

Couple poor performances and everyone is out for blood again. The fans of this club are used to quick splurges of money for quick fixes and it has come back to haunt us. We can't buy our way out of this one. 

There is no patience anymore. Just because we spent lots of money in previous seasons doesn't mean we have any right to be a top half side, you have to earn it. 

I'd rather attempt to steadily progress, look at Luton, Blackburn, Huddersfield, Millwall and Coventry for examples. Don't spend fortunes but have been patient and have reaped the rewards and have a good chance to improve next season. 

Look at QPR, West Brom, Stoke, Derby and Reading who have tried to buy their way up the league, it doesn't always work.

I've seen a few signs of progress, I like seeing the young lads get opportunities and some of the players get me off my seat, I haven't had that feeling for a little while. I'm not going to wet the bed just because we've had a few bad performances recently, where was this furore when we had a good run of home form a couple months back? 

If NP decided to up and leave then another yes-man will come in and bow to the almighty lord and saviour SL and who knows what will happen, I'd rather go down attempting to fix the finances and the culture of this club where the players get too easy a ride for below-par effort and performances. 

I'm hopeful the culture can change with SL still in charge but I still have my doubts. 

• Like 9

15 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Did it?  I don't understand the narrative that he is somehow turning shite into gold. He blocked out Dasilva for reasons unknown to anyone who's watched the club and when he comes back in he reveals to Nige he's a championship standard player, he'd shown that already, but NP was too ignorant to use him. And he's now being hailed for 'transforming players'. It makes no sense to me. Similar situations have occurred with players like Bentley, Wells and Atkinson, lads who are good enough for the XI and frozen out with their replacements having subordinate performances.

He's also seen as revolutionising our youngsters, not to me. With a player like Scott, the natural ability while shine through, Nige has not turned Scott into a great 2nd Div player, Scott is a great 2nd Div player, and the same can be said for Semenyo. Massengo was the youngest player to play in the Champions League at one point, and it's only through poor management from Pearson's predecessors that he hasn't hit major heights, he then was given a run of games due to injuries to Nige's favourites that he got games and he excelled. Now though, can't get a start, in my view due to poor man management..

So no he hasn't "made the best of a messy situation", he's made sloppy decisions, and our results have been shite. I just don't believe he's the man for this situation anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

There isn't anyone better available to fix this mess. 

The club has been heading in this direction for years and it is going to take years to fix our finances. 

Couple poor performances and everyone is out for blood again. The fans of this club are used to quick splurges of money for quick fixes and it has come back to haunt us. We can't buy our way out of this one. 

There is no patience anymore. Just because we spent lots of money in previous seasons doesn't mean we have any right to be a top half side, you have to earn it. 

I'd rather attempt to steadily progress, look at Luton, Blackburn, Huddersfield, Millwall and Coventry for examples. Don't spend fortunes but have been patient and have reaped the rewards and have a good chance to improve next season. 

Look at QPR, West Brom, Stoke, Derby and Reading who have tried to buy their way up the league, it doesn't always work.

I've seen a few signs of progress, I like seeing the young lads get opportunities and some of the players get me off my seat, I haven't had that feeling for a little while. I'm not going to wet the bed just because we've had a few bad performances recently, where was this furore when we had a good run of home form a couple months back? 

If NP decided to up and leave then another yes-man will come in and bow to the almighty lord and saviour SL and who knows what will happen, I'd rather go down attempting to fix the finances and the culture of this club where the players get too easy a ride for below-par effort and performances. 

I'm hopeful the culture can change with SL still in charge but I still have my doubts. 

You sure? I'm sure Huddersfield fans were confused when David Wagner was appointed, and so would we be if Juan Manuel Azconzábal, Fabian Mercidel, Jorgen Isnes or Callum Davidson, but who knows? They might be the answer. The problem with us is we are to small minded, instead of success rate, statistics, play style and recruitment success, we go on the metric of past Championship experience. A manager might have failed at every club they'e been at, but had a good 5 game run at Middlesborough and we'll be foaming at the mouth.

Give someone unknown who has excelled elswhere and just change the mindset of the club in general. 

44 minutes ago, RedNachos said:

You sure? I'm sure Huddersfield fans were confused when David Wagner was appointed, and so would we be if Juan Manuel Azconzábal, Fabian Mercidel, Jorgen Isnes or Callum Davidson, but who knows? They might be the answer. The problem with us is we are to small minded, instead of success rate, statistics, play style and recruitment success, we go on the metric of past Championship experience. A manager might have failed at every club they'e been at, but had a good 5 game run at Middlesborough and we'll be foaming at the mouth.

Give someone unknown who has excelled elswhere and just change the mindset of the club in general. 

We go on the metric of previous Championship managerial experience such as appointing Dean Holden……people were foaming at the mouth tbf. I think the owner nicked LJ’s tombola and chose it that way.

Going by my own experience of mid 50’s I think it’s time for him to get out. I was fit as a fiddle 3 years ago. Still doing marathons, triathlons and 5 asides. Then my legs and knees gave in, I got depressed, stopped fitness , comfort ate, got more depressed following City and so the cycle goes on. I used to manage people quite well but have no patience for young adults today. 
Seems Nigel is on a similar path. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RedNachos said:

You can’t just change a club mindset without the owner buying into it. Otherwise you just end up with poor little lambs on £20k per week running to the owner at the first sign of conflict (that’s what it will need in some cases) and rinse and repeat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedNachos said:

If it was up to me I'd keep NP for the foreseeable but if he wants to go I'd go abroad and find a coach with a different playstyle and culture, but I know full well Lansdown would never do that. 

Pearson built Leicester back up but our fans see a few bad results and get their knickers in a twist.

Like I said in my previous post, there is no patience anymore. It has exacerbated since Covid and also I think coincides with the increase in football violence. 

What happens if Pearson gets pushed or walks and we bring in some "young, exciting British coach" and we go down, it will just be restarting again and again and again until something sticks. 

Lee Johnson got given plenty of time and that is something I'll give SL credit for, I want a manager to have a chance but Pearson's barely been here long enough to make changes he wants. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, redapple said:

Going by my own experience of mid 50’s I think it’s time for him to get out. I was fit as a fiddle 3 years ago. Still doing marathons, triathlons and 5 asides. Then my legs and knees gave in, I got depressed, stopped fitness , comfort ate, got more depressed following City and so the cycle goes on. I used to manage people quite well but have no patience for young adults today. 
Seems Nigel is on a similar path. 

Bloody hell. Sorry mate.