IGNORED

Pearson & Fleming : OUT

Marina's Rolls Royce

7 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

In unrelated news I see Sunderland are three matches into a losing run

In other unrelated news concerning previous managers, great to see Cotts interviewed just now on ITV 4 before their match with Stratford. 
Crikey he went through it and still suffers fatigue, was in bed at 8.30 pm. yesterday so he would have energy for today.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

In unrelated news I see Sunderland are three matches into a losing run

Been in Durham this weekend and LJ all over local news- they have a channel called Tyne Tees TV ffs. Almost same script as here - same fan’s criticisms and same responses from LJ. Actually felt a bit sorry for him, as he hasn’t done a bad job for Sunderland. Anyway, bit of a distraction from the trauma at City.

Edited by Bedred31

3 managers have struggled to get anything out of the bulk of this squad . I feel like there is a culture which can't be changed by any manager until most of the current squad is moved on and there in lies the problem . Performance doesn't matter and the players no it. After an appalling season last year virtually every released player got another club . So no pressure on being released. All that we have left no that they are on quite decent contracts so we can't release or pay them off . So can stay here and take the wages . Won't be transferred as who would want them so no danger of ending up going to lower league or losing money . And if dropped squad is so small only takes a couple of injuries to get back in . It's easy street for them all free money for a lot and nothing any manager can do about it 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’m not actually sure if I’ve got that right . Might be mixing him up with John Percy ?

And there we have it- quick to make a point, possibly score one but then the realisation that you may be wrong.

Coppell left because he had severe issues with football in general and some personal demons and never managed again . I suppose SC who won the double was appointed solely by a member of SL's board and Steve had no say in it but a personal hand in every single failure but never the better moments. Just like Ashton.

The average tenure of a Manager in the Championship is 53 weeks.

Your narrative is that SL is pretty much destroying BCFC and mine is that we have appointed the wrong manager and like so many other clubs may have to make a costly change with no guarantee that it will get better.

Welcome to the world of football club ownership where failure for almost every owner will outweigh their success and where fans will rarely accept anything less than continual improvement irrespective of circumstance.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, red as **** said:

Lowe was my choice when we appointed Pearson. The problem is, most of our fans were happy with Pearson as he is much more ‘proven’. There would’ve been a melt down if we’d appointed an up and coming manager after the Holden debacle.

As a club we abandoned our whole philosophy to get Pearson in and it looks like a backwards step.

I must admit, even though I wasn’t keen his appointment, our early season performances had brought me more hope and he was starting to win me over but that early season promise and desire seems to have vanished and we are left with a total lack of any clear direction or leadership and a woeful playing style.

I can’t help but look at the likes of Luton, Coventry and Swansea, their managerial appointments seem to fall in line with the whole structure of the club, they suit a particular style and identity.

We need to figure out what our identity is and appoint the appropriate staff and recruit the right type of players. At the moment, we have placed all our faith in Pearson and for whatever reason, he is falling way short of all our expectations.

Start preparing yourself for Mike Flynn, not Ryan Lowe.  No ITK.

5 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Great article- James Piercy is shaping up to be the best local sports journo in many a year. No click bait just hard facts combined with strong but measured opinions.

Gregor’s boss.

57 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

And there we have it- quick to make a point, possibly score one but then the realisation that you may be wrong.

Coppell left because he had severe issues with football in general and some personal demons and never managed again . I suppose SC who won the double was appointed solely by a member of SL's board and Steve had no say in it but a personal hand in every single failure but never the better moments. Just like Ashton.

The average tenure of a Manager in the Championship is 53 weeks.

Your narrative is that SL is pretty much destroying BCFC and mine is that we have appointed the wrong manager and like so many other clubs may have to make a costly change with no guarantee that it will get better.

Welcome to the world of football club ownership where failure for almost every owner will outweigh their success and where fans will rarely accept anything less than continual improvement irrespective of circumstance.

That’s not true about Coppell he left because of  SL’s meddling . Millen more or less said so on a podcast . 
This issue you raise about the wrong manager being appointed is very narrow minded. These problems didn’t start with Pearson , they started under LJ & mark ashton . It was the same mistakes made under mciines . Please tell me who appointed these people ? 
Also as for the dog about getting things wrong. I would of thought you’d know all about that. Nobody’s perfect. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

On 06/11/2021 at 17:35, Barrs Court Red said:

And all that debt is 

HIS decisions.

Think you might find running a club in the Championship creates a debt as next to none tend to be run at a profit , so whilst level of debt is down decisions at least we have someone prepared to keep funding championship football. 

Go and see how many clubs make a profit 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Think you might find running a club in the Championship creates a debt as next to none tend to be run at a profit , so whilst level of debt is down decisions at least we have someone prepared to keep funding championship football. 

Go and see how many clubs make a profit 

For me it’s worrying that with the £m’s we made from selling players we wracked up £41.4m of losses in that period 15/16-19/20…5 sets of accounts. All with MA as COO / CEO.  All with SL as Owner and JL as Chairman.  All with LJ as Head-Coach.

Without those sales we lost £117.2m.

Let that sink in!

Draw your own conclusions. ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

On 06/11/2021 at 18:06, Rich said:

Was Cotterill given the backing to bring in his desired players? I believe he was. Did he have to release more than a team full of players? I don't think so.

I believe there are different situations at play now than six plus years ago. Then after that success, he was finally restricted, Intentionally?  I fully expect the same thing to happen now. Bring in a top man, fail to back him, then bring in your young hungry type, that MR Lansdown prefers, while saying things like, "it's my money and I'll invest it as I want to".

I believe Pearson has been given a thankless task of putting things right and in place, it will then be a case of, thanks very much, goodbye. Soon to be followed by another young boss learning the ropes.

The FFP position in 2015/16 possibly did not allow us to spend as Cotts would have wanted in Summer 2015.

I agree with much of what you say but is there an alternative scenario in which Cotts parks his ambitions a bit for a year and then as the infrastructure and the attendances rise then he can steadily increase spending? We'll never know but I wonder.

• Like 2

On 06/11/2021 at 19:04, VT05763 said:

Bentley, Baker, Kalas, Weimann, Wells, Williams, Massengo. Scott.

Some on here would have us believe we have a squad full of the Nicky Hunts and Tony Dinings of the world.

James was quite good for Coventry last year too, has he been dragged down a bit? Martin has been productive this season despite my (frequent) concerns over his durability.

Tanner and Atkinson of course are still learning but have shown some good things thusfar- Pring or DaSilva at LB?

Semenyo returning could make a difference, would offer something different anyway/

12 hours ago, richyy66 said:

There's a reason the fans are not behind the players at the minute and that's because they are not seeing players running, working hard, battling, playing with aggression, 
That's the minimum us supporters want to see.

I am not sure what has happened since the first few games of the season. The players seemed to give everything in those early games of the season.

Maybe all is not well behind the scenes.

I thought we were okay in general and for the most part attitude wise up to and including Peterborough away. Up to the 2nd International break.

Since then though, it's been patchy at best- first half at home to Nottingham Forest fine, parts of the Barnsley game fine, Birmingham first half and parts yesterday fine but certainly not consistently, or for a whole 90 minutes. Who knows why- injuries maybe but it's gone backwards fast from Bournemouth at home to present.

• Like 1

Put the manager aside for a minute but at home to Fulham we showed real spirit, okay they were better technically for the most part and we rode our luck towards the end but rightly the players and management were credited and rightly so.

That should be a benchmark. Not an exception where a side might get up for a big game but a benchmark! Produce that level of performance and effort and do so consistently vs middling and lower sides and you should have more joy- certainly more control and conviction in the performance.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The FFP position in 2015/16 possibly did not allow us to spend as Cotts would have wanted in Summer 2015.

I agree with much of what you say but is there an alternative scenario in which Cotts parks his ambitions a bit for a year and then as the infrastructure and the attendances rise then he can steadily increase spending? We'll never know but I wonder.

We disagree on this don’t we?  Won’t go back over it, think we ended up spending a lot on loans across the whole season, that showed we could’ve backed Cotts with transfers rather than second choices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

For me it’s worrying that with the £m’s we made from selling players we wracked up £41.4m of losses in that period 15/16-19/20…5 sets of accounts. All with MA as COO / CEO.  All with SL as Owner and JL as Chairman.  All with LJ as Head-Coach.

Let that sink in!

What an absolute fantastic achievement in player sales that is.  Didn't realise it was that high a figure.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We disagree on this don’t we?  Won’t go back over it, think we ended up spending a lot on loans across the whole season, that showed we could’ve backed Cotts with transfers rather than second choices.

Thinking about it, I'd forgotten about that discussion. Maybe it would have been better to spend that up front, on Gray not so much Gayle given the potential wage he might have wanted and keep Cotts happy.

Maguire was the other wasn't he?

Still otoh we did add some useful individuals albeit at differing are stages of their careers. ie much earlier.

Maguire and Ayling either side of Flint?

Kodjia and Gray as our strike pair?

Could've been good! In some ways we actually started the season with a weaker squad than we got promoted with which regardless of the specific signings that were or weren't made is fairly awful tbh.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

What an absolute fantastic achievement in player sales that is.  Didn't realise it was that high a figure.

Was very good wasn’t it.

Shame we paid a lot on the other side of the transfer market too.

We spent £59.35m in fees, not inc loan fees, agent fees (from various sources £5m(ish)), relocation fees.

We spent £108.4m on wages (football only, not BCFC Ltd)

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was very good wasn’t it.

Shame we paid a lot on the other side of the transfer market too.

We spent £59.35m in fees, not inc loan fees, agent fees (from various sources £5m(ish)), relocation fees.

We spent £108.4m on wages (football only, not BCFC Ltd)

Crazy amount that is and we aren't an isolated case either in this league. Surely now the EFL are on to clubs and punishments being dished out, clubs will refuse to pay these agents fees. They are a cancer on the game IMO as is parachute payments.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

That’s not true about Coppell he left because of  SL’s meddling . Millen more or less said so on a podcast . 
This issue you raise about the wrong manager being appointed is very narrow minded. These problems didn’t start with Pearson , they started under LJ & mark ashton . It was the same mistakes made under mciines . Please tell me who appointed these people ? 
Also as for the dog about getting things wrong. I would of thought you’d know all about that. Nobody’s perfect. 

How does any fan not know that ? ?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Let that sink in!

How many Championship clubs make a profit? It's almost impossible given the level of player wages with hardly any income from TV, you can't rely on gate receipts these days. If a club can keep it's debts within the FFP limits then it's doing OK, and we fall into that category. The only way to make large amounts of income is through player sales, we've done that and our best signings have now departed but not sure how else you can solve the puzzle?

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

How many Championship clubs make a profit? It's almost impossible given the level of player wages with hardly any income from TV, you can't rely on gate receipts these days. If a club can keep it's debts within the FFP limits then it's doing OK, and we fall into that category. The only way to make large amounts of income is through player sales, we've done that and our best signings have now departed but not sure how else you can solve the puzzle?

I don’t disagree with most of that.

But my worry going back 3/4 seasons is - what do you do when there are no players left to sell?  My other fear was the transfer market collapsing.  I obviously want expecting Covid, but always feared a tv deal collapse.

When I see City with costs of £60m but Millwall, Preston, etc doing as well (better?) than us on £30m I think it means we got too big for our boots.

We are now having to cut back seriously to avoid FFP next season.  That’s hamstrung us massively this summer.

The answer is to recruit well / smartly, develop your own players.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Let that sink in!

That's incredible figures.