IGNORED

Lansdown

Banjo Red

42 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Don't disagree and sure SL himself is not happy with current or past football achievements, but that does not mean he cannot get it right. He could have gambled and we could have gone up or we could be like Derby or other teams who have fallen further. 

SL himself has said they would talk to anyone who can make further investment to take the club forward, but does not seem to have a queue at his door.

So all this SL should go each time we loose a few games is silly school boy nonsence

Of course he doesn't have a bloody q at his door, he's made the. Luv in saleable. Ooh look what you can but but the stadium, trading ground and anything else of value is not included, they're mine!

Just now, frenchred said:

Or you could look at endless other smaller clubs than ours who have done better than us.

Dont be afraid of change, embrace i

His mistakes have cost him and ultimately will cost our football team

Not that many years ago our main rivals were rovers and swindle, without SL perhaps we would be more like them?

Its hard enough for anyone to come up with a realistic replacement for NP let alone a billionaire hanging around willing to chuck away millions on a club he has no affinity to.

As club shackled with FFP restrictions and other clubs with PP we are not that attractive a proposition for a rich foreigner looking to play in the prem league play ground

Just now, REDOXO said:

Oooh the early 80s just for starters. Of course the administrators helped with that. At least a couple of times since then. Most of the time it means nothing just people blowing off steam. 

However from a personal perspective this is the maddest I’ve been this season. Wtf. Last minute goals to against Forest, but a 45 minute shitfest where we lost 3/1 to ten men. Ffs!  

I was discounting the early 80s - my younger self seems to recall being part of a demonstration at the back of the old Grandstand back in those days. But all things considered Lansdown has led a charmed life.

Personally I was far madder when he was refusing to back Cotts or to ditch LJ. We still had a chance to push on when Cotts took us up, what a team that was - just needed a bit of strengthening.

LJ revealed his ineptitude at back end of 2017/18 and SL dug his heels in.

Now...I reckon we are doomed! ?

4 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Of course he doesn't have a bloody q at his door, he's made the. Luv in saleable. Ooh look what you can but but the stadium, trading ground and anything else of value is not included, they're mine!

You have no clue what would be included in a sale, so just bull shit argument

4 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Not that many years ago our main rivals were rovers and swindle, without SL perhaps we would be more like them?

Its hard enough for anyone to come up with a realistic replacement for NP let alone a billionaire hanging around willing to chuck away millions on a club he has no affinity to.

As club shackled with FFP restrictions and other clubs with PP we are not that attractive a proposition for a rich foreigner looking to play in the prem league play ground

Thanks steve

3 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

You have no clue what would be included in a sale, so just bull shit argument

You have no idea, you are clueless

3 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I'd have thought it quite likely we'll be playing Swindon next year...and football-wise a fair bit like them. (Plymouth could pass us!) I live near Swindon, know a fair bit about their trials in recent years - the thought that Lansdown's millions have left us in not much better a position than Swindon is a touch...:rofl2br:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I was discounting the early 80s - my younger self seems to recall being part of a demonstration at the back of the old Grandstand back in those days. But all things considered Lansdown has led a charmed life.

Personally I was far madder when he was refusing to back Cotts or to ditch LJ. We still had a chance to push on when Cotts took us up, what a team that was - just needed a bit of strengthening.

LJ revealed his ineptitude at back end of 2017/18 and SL dug his heels in.

Now...I reckon we are doomed! ?

Thank you Private Frazer. Not backing Cotts is a subject a few on here know something about. God knows what the issues were. But as I remember it SL didn’t like Cotterill’s offers for Gayle and the other bloke. It all went bad from there and we ended up trying to sign Sack Cloth as a striker. 

LJ was as inept as it got. Except for Holden of course. 

• Robin 1

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

I'd have thought it quite likely we'll be playing Swindon next year...and football-wise a fair bit like them. (Plymouth could pass us!) I live near Swindon, know a fair bit about their trials in recent years - the thought that Lansdown's millions have left us in not much better a position than Swindon is a touch...:rofl2br:

Don't say that too loud, people like shit ref again or whatever his name will be on your back!

• Robin 1

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

Even if we do would not swap our set up with swindle, gas Plymouth cardiff or any other local side. 

Whist its as bad as it can get, I have not given that we will stay up.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

Don't say that too loud, people like shit ref again or whatever his name will be on your back!

I've been saying the same thing since at least the Millen years. In fairness, however, I appreciate that we are all City fans and just see things differently. That said, I'm pretty sure I've been right all along. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

In my eyes they are to mate but it’s obvious this was coming . Taking city off the dolman and having the championships smallest club shop half filled with rugby merchandise says it all.

Plus the lack of any reference to Bristol City FC on the outside of the stadium.  Must be the only club in country that doesn’t have a club crest or naming on the back of a stand.  The  South Stand should be named after Gerry Gow or another club legend.

1 minute ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Plus the lack of any reference to Bristol City FC on the outside of the stadium.  Must be the only club in country that doesn’t have a club crest or naming on the back of a stand.  The  South Stand should be named after Gerry Gow or another club legend.

It's not exclusively our ground anymore, and rumour has it the south stand is to be named after a rugby player. 

4 minutes ago, glynriley said:

It's not exclusively our ground anymore, and rumour has it the south stand is to be named after a rugby player. 

Ashton Gate, a football ground for 120 years, with a stand named after a rugby player from a club who have been here 7-8 years? Some ******* legacy that will be.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Agreed .

Gerry gow, terry Cooper or Alan dicks 

i wasn’t even alive when any of those were at the club but I still understand the reasoning behind those choices.

2 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

Time for SL to decide whether we respect FFP and go down or breach it, take the financial consequences, and move on and, hopefully,up. It worked for Bournemouth.

Right. Are you aware of the vast differences between now and then and the powers of monitoring etc that the EFL have.

Bournemouth 2015

It was all reactive. Clubs submitted accounts AFTER the season, ie in December 2015 to the EFL for the season made up to 2014/15 on single year periods.

There was no such thing as even present monitoring, let alone future projections.

Only punishment was a hefty fine if promoted and in breach or an Embargo from the January if not, ie it would be January 2016 and perhaps beyond.

That can be well worth a risk up to a point.

Now?

We could take a chance, add £20-25m in January 2022 with the aim, the sole aim and the only aim promotion THIS season. If not? Well you know.

Key Differences

1) In season monitoring. This could theoretically lead to instant in season deductions for an offending club.

2) The 3 year rule. We gamble on it this and only this season and don't go up, we at BEST in an Embargo.

3) Sell Fixed Assets to at least plug a gap? Can't be done, they no longer count towards FFP. Can still do it, just the profit no longer is included.

4) Related Party Sponsorships? Have a Fair Value rule, presumably the EFL would have a strong input got strikingly high RPTs.

4) Future Financial Information. Clubs who exceed lower limits but fall below Upper Limits- £15m and £39m respectively- clubs might have to submit future FFP projections and financial information for T + 1 and T + 2.

5) Pretty sure that clubs under suspicion of FFP breaches can fall into Soft Embargo territory, plus see EFL Regulation 16.20.

Rolling the dice this January is one option. However fairly obvious consequences if not. Bournemouth comparison is so far out with what is possible that it may as well be a different universe.

4 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Not saying SL has not made mistakes which are easy to criticise with hindsight, but believe they have been made with the honest intention of improving the club.

Steve didn’t think that hiring Dean Holden would improve the club, as I don’t think anyone with half a brain could have genuinely believed that. 20,000 fans overwhelmingly told him otherwise but he knew best, obviously.

His handling of this club these past few years has left it in a complete mess and if we don’t go down this season it will be next. Harry’s thread the other day summed it all up, complete and utter shambles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Apart from the odd 100 million and ongoing losses each year.

It's easy for keyboard idiots to just sprout go, without any concept of how that could even be remotely possible or what type of person could end up running the club, at least with SL we know we will still have a club.

Not saying SL has not made mistakes which are easy to criticise with hindsight, but believe they have been made with the honest intention of improving the club.

You only have to look across the city to see what we could end up with instead

Any and all losses attributable to City can be laid at Mr Lansdowns feet. He was finance director long before he bought up the shares. This strange idea that somehow we should be grateful for the fact he is bailing us out  - for the mistakes HE has made and liabilities HE has created over 20+ years is really odd. If he was the mastermind some people like to portray him as, he would have stabilised this club and we wouldn't be facing such reactive and variable losses.

Lets be crystal clear, he is NOT bailing out anyone elses mistakes but his own. I struggle to be grateful for that.

I appreciate having a decent-ish stadium, but his inability to share power has left us with some consistently  terrible choices at managerial level, and a lack of a board to scrutinise and hold some of his decisions to account has hurt us in the long term. to appoint your son as CEO or whatever phoney position he has, is a big red flag surely.

we have seen the same cycles of 'go for it/ tighten the belt' over and over, rather than an attempt at more sustained and managable growth (Brentford etc).

So speaking as a 'keyboard idiot' i will continue to spout (or even sprout) my opinions.

C'est la guerre.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, Selred said:

That’s harsh on Lansdown. He’s been here a decade, and the money he’s been pumping in I can’t see him making a profit at the end.

He’ll make a profit. A massive profit. He’s not a philanthropic messiah doing it out of the goodness of his heart.

Think like Steve. Big picture. Think wider than our football club. That’s peanuts.

Think freehold values. Think Ashton Vale. The promised land that Steve was going to take us to. Or so he said.

Perhaps his conversation with the planners went like this.

I’ve just bought Ashton Vale.

That’s great to hear Mr Lansdown. What are your plans for it?

I’m going to make Bristol Proud. I’m going to build an all singing all dancing  stadium there.

Interesting. All singing all dancing you say. What about the football club?

**** that. I’m not interested in them.

Ah. We see. Anyway we’ve had lots of objections. We’re afraid we wouldn’t be able to grant planning permission for that.

Oh well. That’s what I thought. How about houses? How many acres have I got. How many houses per acre? 

We’re sorry Mr Lansdown. We can’t advise you about that. Your advisors and consultants will have a view.

Oh don’t worry. I’ve been in close consultation with them. We know the answer to that. Thank you for your time. You’ve been very helpful. Yes. Very helpful indeed…….

• Flames 1

13 hours ago, Red Exile said:

I'm afraid that after 20 years it's time people woke up and STARTED blaming SL. It's his decisions. SL has been one of the least accomplished billionaire owners in British football history!

LJ and MA were his trusted men...the current debacle is down to the three of them. 

Nail on the head. He has invested in real estate but, until Pearson, never invested in top quality football management. NP is the first real football manager since Terry Cooper and Joe Jordan in 1990's.

Always the cheap option.

Now, even with Pearson, we are doomed because of the way MA and LJ bought very mediocre players for top prices and wages.

I've seen seven relegations in my time and the next one in May is an absolute certainty unless Lansdown pulls his finger out of his rectum.  I can't see that happening.

As for finances, I understand that we, like all clubs, have suffered with Covid. But how much did we get paid for letting the South Stand concourse for Covid vaccinations? A very tidy sum I expect. Where has that been put in the accounts? I'll bet not in Bristol City FC account.