IGNORED

Could Colin get us out of this mess and allow Pearson to fully recover?

headhunter

This latest episode  of the FBC Podcast reviews the Coventry shambles: https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/city-achieve-a-new-low-coventry-a-reviewed/ 

Shoot me down by all means but the sudden, unexpected [?] availability of Neil Warnock, aka Colin, presents City with an opportunity that should they take it is not as daft as it seems.

Nige, despite a shocking record in the 30 or so games he has been in charge, still garners a lot of support from many City fans but clearly he has some health issues - in over 50 years of watching City I can't recall a single time when a manager has missed a game through ill health. Can anyone put me right on this? Nigel is now on his 2nd spell of sick leave in less than 4 months and it makes one wonder that when he took the job was he fully recovered from his bad health issues he experienced in Summer 2020. Is it Covid again? If it is then he's had it 3 times now - unlucky or what? As Ian suggested on the podcast he could well be suffering the debilitating effects of long Covid.

My suggestion is this - the club allow Pearson to take 6 months off on sick leave and bring in veteran boss [at 72 he's 14 years older than Nige]  Neil Warnock to stave off relegation. Give him a £1m bonus if he does it - the cost of relegation would be at least 5 times that.

On the podcast some said "but Lansdown doesn't like Warnock"  - that's not the point, you are bringing him to do a specific job. In my day job I have parachuted in to companies many executives who would never be the CEO's choice for a permanent role but when there is a specific job to do you hire the best available to fix the problem on an interim contract.

Come the summer Nigel should be fully recovered and he can resume the project - I can see him taking a job upstairs with a new young coach and an experienced Head of Recruitment who can deal with the slime ball characters that he doesn't want to deal with - the agents!!

Anyone got a better idea? No-one loses face with this suggestion and who else has the experience to get a performance out of this bunch of wasters!

We must be on 25 points at the half way stage so that the transfer window allows the 3-4 signings necessary and to achieve that we should actively be looking to move on one or more from Bentley, Kalas or HNM.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

So... Warnock in fantasy world gets us to a mid table championship side and gets us at least organised enough to turn up for 90 minutes, and Pearson walks back in in the summer? 

Can't see either of them wanting that. Can't see the fans wanting Pearson back.

That is what we all want but right now that appears unlikely - desperate times call for desperate measures 

I can’t imagine Nigel Pearson agreeing to a short break, to allow someone else to sort out the team, but I can imagine Neil Warnock agreeing to a six months contract. Then he could finally retire. With Nigel he would have to be in or out, not some hybrid arrangement

• Like 1

Does anybody believe Colin could turn this current bunch of players into a well drilled hard to beat professional unit?

I don't think moving people on to get in the required amount of 'up for it' players will be that easy.

Edited by 42nite
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I can’t imagine Nigel Pearson agreeing to a short break, to allow someone else to sort out the team, but I can imagine Neil Warnock agreeing to a six months contract. Then he could finally retire. With Nigel he would have to be in or out, not some hybrid arrangement

It would be for Richard Gould to tell him it is in the interest on his own and the club's future well being that he take a break. If he threw a hissy fit and walked away he's forgone the £££ from the remaining 2+ years of his contract.

We asked on the pod whether his style of management is too abrasive and caustic for the modern footballer - players not showing up were the reason behind his downfall at Derby.

This is a VERY worrying situation - Lansdown won't pull the plug as it would represent another loss of face

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

This latest episode  of the FBC Podcast reviews the Coventry shambles: https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/city-achieve-a-new-low-coventry-a-reviewed/ 

Shoot me down by all means but the sudden, unexpected [?] availability of Neil Warnock, aka Colin, presents City with an opportunity that should they take it is not as daft as it seems.

Nige, despite a shocking record in the 30 or so games he has been in charge, still garners a lot of support from many City fans but clearly he has some health issues - in over 50 years of watching City I can't recall a single time when a manager has missed a game through ill health. Can anyone put me right on this? Nigel is now on his 2nd spell of sick leave in less than 4 months and it makes one wonder that when he took the job was he fully recovered from his bad health issues he experienced in Summer 2020. Is it Covid again? If it is then he's had it 3 times now - unlucky or what? As Ian suggested on the podcast he could well be suffering the debilitating effects of long Covid.

My suggestion is this - the club allow Pearson to take 6 months off on sick leave and bring in veteran boss [at 72 he's 14 years older than Nige]  Neil Warnock to stave off relegation. Give him a £1m bonus if he does it - the cost of relegation would be at least 5 times that.

On the podcast some said "but Lansdown doesn't like Warnock"  - that's not the point, you are bringing him to do a specific job. In my day job I have parachuted in to companies many executives who would never be the CEO's choice for a permanent role but when there is a specific job to do you hire the best available to fix the problem on an interim contract.

Come the summer Nigel should be fully recovered and he can resume the project - I can see him taking a job upstairs with a new young coach and an experienced Head of Recruitment who can deal with the slime ball characters that he doesn't want to deal with - the agents!!

Anyone got a better idea? No-one loses face with this suggestion and who else has the experience to get a performance out of this bunch of wasters!

We must be on 25 points at the half way stage so that the transfer window allows the 3-4 signings necessary and to achieve that we should actively be looking to move on one or more from Bentley, Kalas or HNM.

Same thought entered my head. I've suggested Warnock here before so I would not be  against it. Plus it would finally answer the question about Neil Warnock,  what if...?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Most probably any manager worth a grain of salt at this present time would want to manage us where the majority of our players are over paid and under performing.

The opening suggestion seems very naive to me.

If Warnock rallied us to mid-table safety (or better) he would effectively be saying to Nige “There you go. I achieved what you were clearly unable to do. I’m off now so don’t mess it up again “

If we were to continue to descend to relegation under Warnock then Nige would say to him “What have you done? You’ve taken us down and now I’m expected to be a League 1 manager”

You can’t get a win-win for both men.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

This is fantasy land.

Still it makes a change from Weimann being the problem, I suppose.

Think my suggestion is realistic Graham. 

Villa must be close to changing manager. There appears to be a situation where the manager has possible long term health issues meaning a semi-permanent assistant with experience of being a manager would help greatly.  

We've also relinquished 2 coaches recently.

26 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Think my suggestion is realistic Graham. 

Villa must be close to changing manager. There appears to be a situation where the manager has possible long term health issues meaning a semi-permanent assistant with experience of being a manager would help greatly.  

We've also relinquished 2 coaches recently.

A few weeks ago I would have said there was no chance of this but Smith is on very dodgy ground & probably doesn’t have too much goodwill left at Villa.

All depends to me on Pearson’s illness, & some management of Fleming’s role, seeing as he has been made assistant manager, not first team coach.

I've only supported this club for 27 yrs, not being Bristolian, but if Colin is employed IN ANY CAPACITY by this club I will no longer support them until he leaves. Yes I know how stupid that sounds but that's how strongly I feel about him and yes I understand he'd just be here to do a job etc etc. 

Edited by Will Rollason
  • Robin 1

Ffs how many more times. This has been coming for four years . Blame the owner who’s been asleep at the wheel for years . We’re going down regardless of who in charge . It’s 2012 all over again. ******* owner who thick as **** when it comes to football. 
Lansdown really does need to do all he can to find a buyer . Very difficult to do in the current climate I know. However it’s rinse & repeat with him 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

I've only supported this club for 27 yrs, not being Bristolian, but if Colin is employed IN ANY CAPACITY by this club I will no longer support them until he leaves. Yes I know how stupid that sounds but that's how strongly I feel about him.

? what has he done to you mate? Just out of interest..

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, 42nite said:

Does anybody believe Colin could turn this current bunch of players into a well drilled hard to beat professional unit?

I don't think moving people on to get in the required amount of 'up for it' players will be that easy.

TBH it's what he does and he has done similar elsewhere

He isn't a master tactician. He isn't a master recruiter.  But he does instil an "us v everyone" sense of togetherness, bonds the team and grinds out results.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 42nite said:

I would think he would not put up with some of the spineless bottlers that play for us and give the team a bit of fight and he is pretty handy in the transfer market.

11 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

I've only supported this club for 27 yrs, not being Bristolian, but if Colin is employed IN ANY CAPACITY by this club I will no longer support them until he leaves. Yes I know how stupid that sounds but that's how strongly I feel about him and yes I understand he'd just be here to do a job etc etc. 

Why do you feel this strongly about Neil? 

13 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

We'll miss you, Will ?

#incolinwetrust

• Like 2