IGNORED

Could Colin get us out of this mess and allow Pearson to fully recover?

headhunter

8 minutes ago, Bodiesaffer said:

They wouldn’t play for him, just as they are doing now to Pearson.

C'mon be specific - who's not playing for Nige? Is it a cabal of Kalas & Bentley, are James, King & Simpson not being supportive of their former boss.

A Rams supporting friend said up there he lost the dressing room so maybe similar here

11 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I would think he would not put up with some of the spineless bottlers that play for us and give the team a bit of fight and he is pretty handy in the transfer market.

Pretty handy in the transfer market!

Have a look at his record at Boro, it is shocking.

Chuba Akpom & £1m on Ikpeazu for starters..

1 hour ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

The opening suggestion seems very naive to me.

If Warnock rallied us to mid-table safety (or better) he would effectively be saying to Nige “There you go. I achieved what you were clearly unable to do. I’m off now so don’t mess it up again “

If we were to continue to descend to relegation under Warnock then Nige would say to him “What have you done? You’ve taken us down and now I’m expected to be a League 1 manager”

You can’t get a win-win for both men.

This.

Relative to the level we are at this is the worse squad of players I’ve seen in terms of attitude and ability since 1974 so I’m extremely doubtful whether even Warnock can turn this around. 
However doing nothing will mean relegation so I think a change of manager is needed now and some aggressive trading in early January with deals being negotiated ASAP 

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

This latest episode  of the FBC Podcast reviews the Coventry shambles: https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/city-achieve-a-new-low-coventry-a-reviewed/ 

Shoot me down by all means but the sudden, unexpected [?] availability of Neil Warnock, aka Colin, presents City with an opportunity that should they take it is not as daft as it seems.

Nige, despite a shocking record in the 30 or so games he has been in charge, still garners a lot of support from many City fans but clearly he has some health issues - in over 50 years of watching City I can't recall a single time when a manager has missed a game through ill health. Can anyone put me right on this? Nigel is now on his 2nd spell of sick leave in less than 4 months and it makes one wonder that when he took the job was he fully recovered from his bad health issues he experienced in Summer 2020. Is it Covid again? If it is then he's had it 3 times now - unlucky or what? As Ian suggested on the podcast he could well be suffering the debilitating effects of long Covid.

My suggestion is this - the club allow Pearson to take 6 months off on sick leave and bring in veteran boss [at 72 he's 14 years older than Nige]  Neil Warnock to stave off relegation. Give him a £1m bonus if he does it - the cost of relegation would be at least 5 times that.

On the podcast some said "but Lansdown doesn't like Warnock"  - that's not the point, you are bringing him to do a specific job. In my day job I have parachuted in to companies many executives who would never be the CEO's choice for a permanent role but when there is a specific job to do you hire the best available to fix the problem on an interim contract.

Come the summer Nigel should be fully recovered and he can resume the project - I can see him taking a job upstairs with a new young coach and an experienced Head of Recruitment who can deal with the slime ball characters that he doesn't want to deal with - the agents!!

Anyone got a better idea? No-one loses face with this suggestion and who else has the experience to get a performance out of this bunch of wasters!

We must be on 25 points at the half way stage so that the transfer window allows the 3-4 signings necessary and to achieve that we should actively be looking to move on one or more from Bentley, Kalas or HNM.

Sorry Dave. Just never going to happen. Also based on this season what evidence is there that Warnock could even do the job asked? When he left boro they were only a single win better off than us, with a better squad and he’s had the luxury of recruiting 13-14 players to add to that squad. I will also add to that as when we went to there place we were well worth a point. Never going to happen.

While not dumping on Warnock’s achievements, I think the issue here is bigger than one personality coming in and somehow flipping a couple of years of issues on their head, and I don’t think we’re really set up for that just now anyway.

NW is 72; yes, he can still have an impact at a club, but my worry is he wouldn’t be an appointment that would facilitate future stability or success - Rotherham fell back into their yo-yo ways after he left, Cardiff are a mess, and while Middlesbrough aren’t in trouble, they used to be a promotion contender every year, so aren’t exactly in a better spot.

We’re all frustrated, but as someone said elsewhere, as we can’t sack players, people always look to an individual who can carry the can, but I don’t think that’s the core issue here.

NP needs to do something, but he’s also only had one window - if I’m the money men at the club, I’m working all hours to figure out how we can augment the squad within the financial risks in Jan.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

TBH it's what he does and he has done similar elsewhere

He isn't a master tactician. He isn't a master recruiter.  But he does instil an "us v everyone" sense of togetherness, bonds the team and grinds out results.

Reminds me of "The Thick Of It", when the opposition bring in "The F**ker" (Tom Hollander) !:laughcont:

• Like 2

The man has an impressive promotion record, managed over 1000 games, has a no nonsense approach to the players, diverts media attention to himself, and would certainly kick ass if he was here. People on here still say stick with what we have and get relegated. His record speaks for itself but as SL doesn't like him,  then its debate over. 

We just all need to take in a collective breath and use the international break to recharge the batteries.

Colin would be the worst appointment ever. He can't change anything bar using out of contract players. Could you honestly see him getting a "Bamba" tune out of Zak Vyner or turn Rob Atkinson into a "Clint Hill" or even get COD to be "Derryesque"

We are where we are because of the previous regimes. There will be a few more times like this. We have to collectively ride out the storm and see where we are through to the next window and hopefully pick up a few points here and there to keep us ticking over.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, Swede said:

We just all need to take in a collective breath and use the international break to recharge the batteries.

Colin would be the worst appointment ever. He can't change anything bar using out of contract players. Could you honestly see him getting a "Bamba" tune out of Zak Vyner or turn Rob Atkinson into a "Clint Hill" or even get COD to be "Derryesque"

We are where we are because of the previous regimes. There will be a few more times like this. We have to collectively ride out the storm and see where we are through to the next window and hopefully pick up a few points here and there to keep us ticking over.

Totally agree. I do actually feel that after the poor job he did at Boro Warnock may finally be washed up anyway to be honest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

It would be for Richard Gould to tell him it is in the interest on his own and the club's future well being that he take a break. If he threw a hissy fit and walked away he's forgone the £££ from the remaining 2+ years of his contract.

We asked on the pod whether his style of management is too abrasive and caustic for the modern footballer - players not showing up were the reason behind his downfall at Derby.

This is a VERY worrying situation - Lansdown won't pull the plug as it would represent another loss of face

You’re obviously correct about NP losing out financially if he walked away, but having a hissy fit and walking away is just the sort of thing I imagine he’d do. City would then be in the same situation as when Benny Lennartsson was appointed in 98 and John Ward left. 

33 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Reminds me of "The Thick Of It", when the opposition bring in "The F**ker" (Tom Hollander) !:laughcont:

So so good that series.  Nothing on tv will ever beat Glenn’s meltdown imho. Anyway I digress……

I actually dont think even Warnock could forge our current squad into a team of nasty b*stards as he did at Rotherham, Cardiff etc. They appear, barring one or two exceptions, to be so mentally weak it’s untrue. Havibg said that, if NP were to leave (which I 100% do not want atm) I can’t think of anyone better to give it a go. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, samo II said:

While not dumping on Warnock’s achievements, I think the issue here is bigger than one personality coming in and somehow flipping a couple of years of issues on their head, and I don’t think we’re really set up for that just now anyway.

NW is 72; yes, he can still have an impact at a club, but my worry is he wouldn’t be an appointment that would facilitate future stability or success - Rotherham fell back into their yo-yo ways after he left, Cardiff are a mess, and while Middlesbrough aren’t in trouble, they used to be a promotion contender every year, so aren’t exactly in a better spot.

We’re all frustrated, but as someone said elsewhere, as we can’t sack players, people always look to an individual who can carry the can, but I don’t think that’s the core issue here.

NP needs to do something, but he’s also only had one window - if I’m the money men at the club, I’m working all hours to figure out how we can augment the squad within the financial risks in Jan.

I agree. On the whole the players Pearson has signed have made a positive impact in Atkinson, Tanner and James particularly and 2 of those were missing vs Coventry. We need another big clear out of players clearly not good enough or realised their potential,for me I would be happy to see the likes of Palmer, O Dowda, Vyner, Martin, Pring, Wells go and bring players with pace and more aggression brought into the squad. We are soft and easy to play against, offer no threat going forward, when was the last time we had seen a wide player of ours take on and dominate the oppositions fullback? 

Pearson needs to backed in January otherwise we are in serious trouble. We have been shocking imposing ourselves on teams and weak mentally for a good few seasons, Pep would struggle with this lot and it's going to take more than 1 transfer window to sort it out. 

8 minutes ago, KernowRed said:

No Good, just let Curtis Fleming put the boot in over the next couple of weeks and sort out this downhearted squad!

Then NP can catch up and improve things more.

If we haven't reached 26 points by the half way stage we are in REALLY DEEP *HIT - that's 7 points from 6 games, how do you see that total being achieved on a game by game basis?

How long is Nigel going to be off for? If he's back for the two home games and we get 4 points then the pressure monitor eases off a bit. Anything less with him continuing at the helm and the toxicity that was brewing vs. Barnsley may become even more intense.

4 minutes ago, j1974 said:

I agree. On the whole the players Pearson has signed have made a positive impact in Atkinson, Tanner and James particularly and 2 of those were missing vs Coventry. We need another big clear out of players clearly not good enough or realised their potential,for me I would be happy to see the likes of Palmer, O Dowda, Vyner, Martin, Pring, Wells go and bring players with pace and more aggression brought into the squad. We are soft and easy to play against, offer no threat going forward, when was the last time we had seen a wide player of ours take on and dominate the oppositions fullback? 

Pearson needs to backed in January otherwise we are in serious trouble. We have been shocking imposing ourselves on teams and weak mentally for a good few seasons, Pep would struggle with this lot and it's going to take more than 1 transfer window to sort it out. 

And who is going to buy the players you list?

I’m firmly in the camp who believe that it is almost totally irrelevant who the manger is. Basically this squad is far from championship standard and it will inevitably find its true level - regardless of who is picking the team. Until this squad is completely overhauled we are in a ‘no win’ situation (literally). Things have been so dire for so long now that I genuinely cannot see how league one would be any worse. Just need a full reset. We’ll be back, but who knows how long that will take? If there’s one thing that City fans should have by now it’s patience!! COYR

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, headhunter said:

And who is going to buy the players you list?

Fair point, players like O Dowda and Martins contracts are up at the end of the season and maybe ship a couple out on loan's. We need a complete mentalality  change within this squad and the old guard need getting out of the club, the Johnson /Ashton era destroyed this club with their negative signings, tactics and treatment of certain players causing a negative attitude ingrained on the current players. The only way we will see an improvement is by bringing in players with a fresh positive can do attitude and sadly we don't have enough of those. 

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

Craig Shakespeare. Head coach.

Trust between hom and Nige. Has managed a team to the quarter finals of the champions league. 

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

Think my suggestion is realistic Graham. 

Villa must be close to changing manager. There appears to be a situation where the manager has possible long term health issues meaning a semi-permanent assistant with experience of being a manager would help greatly.  

We've also relinquished 2 coaches recently.

I agree. 

I think the most likely outcome is that nothing changes.
However, IF we act in any capacity, the next most likely thing is that Shakespeare arrives as ‘Head Coach’. 

Edited by Harry

Emphatically I've always been in the  no camp. Call me ideological but I've always wanted to see city succeed a certain way, playing a certain ways. 

Some clubs it's about results, others it's about the way you play, with City I truly think it's both with an astrix.  What I mean by that is, as I fan base we know we'll lose games, we know they'll be games where its backs against the wall; it's often these games where a stadium comes into its own, but our default expectation is effort with an intent to entertain. 

With this in mind, look at the last 2 seasons and a half. Since the beginning of last season We've not even bothered to have a proper winger who actually goes at full backs in the squad. It's a nonsense. 

The city way

Coterill had this.

Johnson had it in patches, his problem was the spectrum was just so extreme. 

But at some point under Johnson it just fell away, it happens. (wolves was his sliding doors moment) Holden was just dull, and under Pearson, nothing has changed, win or lose its mostly boring with goals being the entertainment. Watching City is a slog and mostly hard work, and living aborad I don't even get the before and after with mates anymore (the hardest thing about living abroad btw) 

2.5 seasons is a long time for the magic in football to be missing. 

My point here is If the football is that unbelievably dull right now, would appointing warnock actually be any worse? AT LEAST WE WOULD BE DULL ON PURPOSE. Maybe just maybe he might just unite the team and the fan base, and sign some quick players out wide on the process. 

I hope Pearson can turn it around, but if we do decide to change direction, would warnock be so so terrible? 

Someone talk some sense into me, as to me right now, he almost seems like the man for this moment. (meanwhile I go look in the mirror, looking at myself in utter shame) 

Although I wouldn't be against NW short term, if Nige stays unwell, I think the problems are far far deeper than the head coach/manager. The club have been regressing, or at least not progressing, for a number of years and you have to look for the common denominater during that time. I think we all know where that takes us. I don't want SL, and his backing, to go, but it has to change and quickly.

5 hours ago, headhunter said:

My suggestion is this - the club allow Pearson to take 6 months off on sick leave and bring in veteran boss [at 72 he's 14 years older than Nige]  Neil Warnock to stave off relegation. Give him a £1m bonus if he does it - the cost of relegation would be at least 5 times that.

On the podcast some said "but Lansdown doesn't like Warnock"  - that's not the point, you are bringing him to do a specific job. In my day job I have parachuted in to companies many executives who would never be the CEO's choice for a permanent role but when there is a specific job to do you hire the best available to fix the problem on an interim contract.

Come the summer Nigel should be fully recovered and he can resume the project - I can see him taking a job upstairs with a new young coach and an experienced Head of Recruitment who can deal with the slime ball characters that he doesn't want to deal with - the agents!! 

Think others may have touched on this but slightly confused how it would work.

So Warnock comes in, organises, we improve and stay up. We then let him go/he leaves in the summer and reappoint Pearson who was seemingly failing to do what Warnock, for some reason, was able to. Recipe for disaster, no? How many losses before fans are clamouring for Warnock to return? Even if Pearson comes back on board in a different capacity he'll constantly be compared to Warnock. 

Alternatively Warnock comes in, we don't improve, we go down, we reappoint Pearson with whom it looks like we're on a similar trajectory. Why?

I don't dislike Pearson at all, I think we showed signs of promise under him early in the season. However I don't see the fascination, determination and/or desire to believe that he is the person to sort this out when the current evidence is suggesting otherwise. I'm also very uneasy with bringing Warnock (or anyone) in, 7 points clear of relegation with a third of the season gone, with the clear incentivised remit of keeping us in the league. Whether or not that's the reality I think it sends a terrible message to a group of players who have shown already they are mentally weak as a collective.

Edited by S_C

1 hour ago, Scrumpylegs said:

I’m firmly in the camp who believe that it is almost totally irrelevant who the manger is. Basically this squad is far from championship standard and it will inevitably find its true level - regardless of who is picking the team. Until this squad is completely overhauled we are in a ‘no win’ situation (literally). Things have been so dire for so long now that I genuinely cannot see how league one would be any worse. Just need a full reset. We’ll be back, but who knows how long that will take? If there’s one thing that City fans should have by now it’s patience!! COYR

It’s never irrelevant who the manager is.  A good manager can work wonders with an average squad; a poor manager can drag a squad of good players down.  You can see that happening in the Premier League this season (Man Utd/Solkjaer vs Brighton/Potter).  This is a reasonable squad - certainly good enough to stay up - playing way below the standard that should be playing.  It’s not just a question of picking the team- at the moment they appear devoid of strategy, understanding, motivation, fitness and commitment.  Please don’t tell me that that is nothing to do with the management/coaching.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

I've only supported this club for 27 yrs, not being Bristolian, but if Colin is employed IN ANY CAPACITY by this club I will no longer support them until he leaves. Yes I know how stupid that sounds but that's how strongly I feel about him and yes I understand he'd just be here to do a job etc etc. 

I know exactly how you feel.

I would do the same and I have been supporting the club for neigh on 60 years.

Never done anything to me personally but for some reason I hate the bloke with a passion.