IGNORED

The Flying Fox

BigAl&Toby

Who remembers this beauty. Moored opposite the Mardyke in the early 70s. I do. Just.

Long before it was moved and the name passed to a freehold site not far from the hallowed turf that Steve owns.

**** me. How I long for those innocent days. Long hot summers. Raleigh Choppers. Walls Icecream from the corner shop that came wrapped in cardboard.

The Flying Fox. Wouldn’t surprise me if she’s now had a refit, been renamed Maggie L and is used as a gin palace off a tax haven island close to France. 

And it might even be that the Rear Admiral also owns the freehold site next to Pattersons too…..

Thing is it is apt. I suspect many of the squad won’t be giving a flying **** this morning. They’ll probably be just waking up. In a plush flat in Portishead. They’ll be pulling on their tracksuit pants and sliding their oh so precious feet into their sliders.

They’ll probably then have a latte from their ever so expensive coffee machine that sits on their granite work top.

Then those perfectly pedicured  tools of their trade will carry them effortlessly across to their Juliet balcony where they’ll lovingly gaze down at their black Range Rover or AMG and plan their day.

Do they give a flying ****? Somehow I doubt it.

15F39368-ACED-4937-884C-4225A20DD934.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Remember a birthday party on board The Flying Fox in early ‘50s.  Passed it when getting to Ashton Gate to watch some proper old fashioned blood and guts football.

Ernie Peacock acting like a demented boxer and Big John, literally, rising above them all.  Oh, how I miss that City of my childhood - both the club and the city itself.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I believe the Flying Fox was used to train naval cadets.

I've got a feeling my old Sea Cadet Unit was based on her for a while. The cadets are now based on the island between the Nova Scotia and Pump House pubs. When I was a kid in the 80's we could hear the roar from Ashton Gate on Tuesday night when City scored. Happy memories.

1 hour ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Who remembers this beauty. Moored opposite the Mardyke in the early 70s. I do. Just.

Long before it was moved and the name passed to a freehold site not far from the hallowed turf that Steve owns.

**** me. How I long for those innocent days. Long hot summers. Raleigh Choppers. Walls Icecream from the corner shop that came wrapped in cardboard.

The Flying Fox. Wouldn’t surprise me if she’s now had a refit, been renamed Maggie L and is used as a gin palace off a tax haven island close to France. 

And it might even be that the Rear Admiral also owns the freehold site next to Pattersons too…..

Thing is it is apt. I suspect many of the squad won’t be giving a flying **** this morning. They’ll probably be just waking up. In a plush flat in Portishead. They’ll be pulling on their tracksuit pants and sliding their oh so precious feet into their sliders.

They’ll probably then have a latte from their ever so expensive coffee machine that sits on their granite work top.

Then those perfectly pedicured  tools of their trade will carry them effortlessly across to their Juliet balcony where they’ll lovingly gaze down at their black Range Rover or AMG and plan their day.

Do they give a flying ****? Somehow I doubt it.

15F39368-ACED-4937-884C-4225A20DD934.jpeg

I used to work in that building above the ship, below the row of houses in that picture. Clifton Reprographics. Mail Marketing was the one below I think. Now replaced by swanky houses.

7 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

How many of the houses in the background are the same colour today?

Those were the days!

School friend of mine’s Nan lived up the top of Ambra Vale, it was rough as **** back then (early 70’s), how times change….probably looking at 600k plus for a two up/two down straight onto the pavement there now!

1 hour ago, Peter1450 said:

School friend of mine’s Nan lived up the top of Ambra Vale, it was rough as **** back then (early 70’s), how times change….probably looking at 600k plus for a two up/two down straight onto the pavement there now!

Back in 1974 I had a mate who lived in a bedsit on Ambra Vale East.... absolutely disgusting hovel, 4 bedsits sharing a bathroom in the cellar. He said an old Irish couple in their 60's lived in the room next door and in 2 years he never saw or heard them visit the bathroom! ( He reckoned they used a bucket and washed it down the sink !!!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Atyeo's lift said:

I remember attending a fancy dress party there in the 60s. Went dressed as Sir Francis Drake. Got some strange looks when I stopped to fill the car with petrol, I can tell you.

I also attended a fancy dress in my youth club & got 1st prize for the "ET" look alike, then some smart arse realised I wasn't in fancy dress, ? my childhood was understandably quite stressful.

• Haha 1

My father was in Royal Naval Reserve and was a signals instructor for many years (receiving the BEM for his services), and the Flying Fax was his base until they took over the building in Winterstoke Road. 

My main memories of it are, the xmas parties they used to organise for the children of the reservists, and using it as a viewing point for watching the powerboat racing. Talk about being close to the action!

By the way, if you looked at it closely, it had a bow at both ends. The purpose for this, believe it or not was to "confuse the enemy as they wouldn't know which way they were heading" :laughcont:

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1