IGNORED

Why do you care so much?

spudski

OTIB has been, like DaveFevs alluded, a lifeline especially during the past couple of years. 

What though has really irked me and  has shown up the social media faults (in this case OTIB) is that some on here  can't accept others have an opinion contrary to yours. There will be others who cannot or will not be able to have an informed, mature and intelligent debate on points that I have made. Just because you disagree doesn't mean you have to vent words of negativity at me as if I'm a useless and worthless individual who has alternative opinion. 

I have watched City through the thick and thin years since the 70s. If I say we have players in the academy not showing bite and aggression that's needed, then it is my opinion based on nearly 50 years of watching professional football. To then diss me because I'm not watching a game through rose (red) tinted spectacles is a shame and produces a slanging match instead of a discussion. 

OTIB shows how many of us care so much about this silly little team based in BS3. It's not the be all and end all in life. Start showing more respect to other posters, even if you disagree with their thought process. Respect will keep more people engaged in OTIB instead of leaving. 

Final question....if you had made a fortune would you re-invest money, tax dodge or otherwise, in BCFC? Steve and Maggie did.

Show some respect to show how much you care...in all walks of life, family and of course BCFC!

Edited by Norn Iron
Grammar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

Fair play Dave.

Similar playing background.

Would you feel so happy if every home 3pm KO...would mean an 11.30 am start and ball ache to get to the ground either by car or public transport?

The majority of my friends have given up this season for a culmination of reasons. Mainly travelling.

I think the Club and council need serious consultation.

There are literally 3 main routes into Bristol. Every week there is a road closed, road works, detour, public transport cancelled, late etc. List goes on.

Literally want to wake up Saturday, circumstances allow me to get to game, buy a ticket on gate and support my team 

Not plan a week ahead like it's an expedition to the South pole. And that's on top of the crap running of the club. Many feel the same.

Some paid season tickets and been once.

Would make me strongly re-consider.

As it stands I like to get there early, but then again I pay for a season parking pass at Wickes.  With the van and wheelchair ramp, street parking is pretty much a no-no.  A few weeks ago we went really early and went to Hen & Chicken for lunch.  Parked by Tobacco Factory (initially), lots of parking, but no drop curbs, so Joe has to drive on the road for 50/60m to find a curb to get on the pavement.

• Robin 1

I too am middle aged and I'm a season ticket holder. I've only been to one home game this season, Bournemouth. That was my first game since Fulham in 2020. As I hadn't been to a game for so long, I was excited and had a feeling of anticipation. My excitement lasted 10 minutes. Then I started to sink down into my seat as I realised absolutely nothing had changed. It was as if the previous 19 months just hadn't happened. I was so disappointed with what I saw, so, so familiar and utterly depressing. I don't know when I'll be back and a season ticket renewal looks about as likely as a lottery win.

I started watching city with my dad as they started tumble down the divisions in the early 80s. The 4th division days were an experience. Togetherness. Happy away trips to Brentford, Reading (!), Eastville to name but a few. Togetherness. We weren't always successful at the end of the season, but the home games were entertaining and mostly good. We tried to win, it was worth watching. Into the 90s and moving up the league a bit meant the results weren't so good but it felt like we didn't have to wait long for a bit of excitement, a derby match or a good cup match against a top side. We had a few cult figures then as well, The Chief, Goater, Shaun Taylor etc.

Into the 2000s and it's just felt like every few seasons there's a transition, never an evolution. In 2008 I thought we'd stepped up a level. I really thought we were going to start doing things that as a kid I just thought happened to other teams (Watford, Southampton, Luton, Milwall, Norwich etc. etc.), but no. We have one good season in about 7 and can never build on it with the next crisis just around the corner. It's since 2008 that I've really started to lose interest. My feeling is that we just haven't gone for it enough. This has got worse since Lansdown moved to Guernsey and the Bristol Sport concept has come about. I look at the Leicester owner and look at us and think, where is the togetherness? We laughed at Delia Smith when she went on to Norwich pitch but at least she was there, she showed she cared.   

For me the real turn offs of the last 10-15 years have been:

Failure to go for it and take advantage when we were on the up.

Lack of togetherness from top to bottom. The owner isn't visible enough. My perception is that he just doesn't care enough about the football any more. Show you care or leave it for someone else.

We're too afraid to win at home and stick it to teams.

No goals, no shots!

No real quality or cult figures to get behind.

No derby matches that had that real edge to them, terrible to lose, amazing to win.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’d love nothing more than to see City be successful - but I’ve no expectation.
Failing that I’d love nothing more than to watch entertaining football - but I’ve no expectation.
As a kid watching Terry Cooper’s teams - I was spoilt, entertaining and passionate teams playing positive football. 
(By the way - where is the TC tribute? I was hoping the ridiculous name of the training ground might be changed). 
I travel down from near Preston and watch most home games. It’s a habit, a way to keep in touch with mates and home. I enjoy it. Well, I enjoy the weekend at home, a few beers, mates. I don’t enjoy the football. The Fulham game was entertaining…. Can’t think of any others at Ashton Gate this season. 
I’d love to say it’s still my club (our club) but in all honesty I’m watching Lansdown Football PLC rather that the football club. We’re so corporate and bland.  
I don’t care much for the current regime, team or manager…. I guess I care because I want change and to enjoy it again. Watching football should be an exciting rollercoaster ride…. This feels like a slow, predictable, slightly embarrassing fairground ride that you been on before… 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I think this post is a timely reminder for everyone about what’s important, city may be my club, and part of my identity, but as the years have passed, life is lived, marriage/kids/divorce, you have to realise that allowing city and the players to influence your mood and life to any great degree before they swan off home in their range rovers and supercars,, well its a rediculous thing to do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spudski said:

Just interested compared to myself so no malice.

I guess I'm an average supporter. Played football, and lived  for football all through my formative years and into 20's. Found girls, beer and marriage.

Watched and played...found other interests etc.

Continued watching city when life circumstances allowed. On and off season ticket holder.

In later years when watching rather than playing became the norm, meeting with pals, having some banter and a few beers and watching City took over for fun...that was what we did.

After so many years of following...owners, managers, players, excuses...at what point did it become a chore, rather than something that was enjoyable, where you worked all week and went back to work on Monday feeling good about life?

I read this forum and speak to mates and there is an underlying theme. It's ingrained...from youth, from family...years of following, often through habit. Stuck in a rut, nothing better to do, anything to get away from the missus. Escapism...thinking of the good ol' days. Let's face it...so much is compared to the past when circumstances at the time were fun.

And we constantly compare to the past.

Now...being middle aged. I ask myself...why am I so interested?

Watching and supporting a team I have no control over.

The deeper you get involved, the more it affects your mood. You watch, listen, read other people's thoughts. Some are so into it... literally sharing every thought and passion on a forum to randoms!!! I guess that comes from life circumstances. Some feel the need and release...others don't.

After many years...I've stopped going. Cancelled my season ticket and now go to watch semi professional football. I love it...breath of fresh air.

City is massively ingrained in my soul. Grandfather, father and me. Everyday i think about the connection and good times. I watch from afar now, occasional game, read this every day. So it means something. I question myself. Why do I care,why do I bother, why do I put myself through the emotions every weekend that affect my mood?

Gone from really into it, to absolute couldn't care less tbh.

Regardless of results, it's been shit for many seasons. 

So without sounding like a complete knob...why do you care? How does following City make a difference in your life. Have you ever thought why am I following this shit and allowing it to affect my life so much?

You get one life...the owner and players enjoy everything away from football to the enth degree.

Yet you work all week to watch and accept this shit accross the board, for years, thinking it's going to be enjoyable, entertaining...and just what we do. If you don't do it...you aren't a real supporter.

Well I think real supporting is now confused. It's moved on.

We are now £££££££s...nothing more.

Go back to 82...Cooper etc. Nothing compares...but we still compare that ethos, work ethic, support, family feeling.

Excuses after excuses after excuses...it's literally laughable.

Yet we all sit as supporters writing on here our feelings and research. Hours of our life...

Just a thought...

I recently posted that I'm 74yrs & have supported City since I was 8yrs. To cut a long story short, I asked myself if there is better things to do with what time I have left. I have found that watching my grandsons play Aussie Rules & my grand-daughter play netball gives me all the enjoyment I used to get from watching City. A win is obviously great but seeing them giving there all with their mates beats even a win, they are playing because they want to, not because they are paid to.

So why do I still support City?, as I said earlier it's in my blood & it's impossible to forget them but it's my grandkids that give me hours of true enjoyment.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Interesting, makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Why so many people who watch the prem on telly, have no actual emotional connection with any of the clubs. 

City have ruined more days than they’ve made during my lifetime. 
If the club went bust it would, in some respects, be a release.

I try to distance myself from the hurt but it’s impossible, even though I live hundreds of miles away. As we all know it’s the hope that kills.

The club are like family, We belong to each other even though I have no control over how they behave. I follow what they do out of duty and love.

Following the City was ingrained from my infancy with my Grandad, God bless him, sharing his love of the club with me.Every body followed either City or Rovers in those days, it was what we did . It has become a sort of obligation to keep their memories alive.

I started going to live matches in our glory years of the late seventies even though it was forbidden by my parents because of the danger. I faced that , very real , danger and it forged a sort of protective instinct towards the club. 
Then we suffered the fall from grace, you don’t just abandon ship so I continued and the buzz of the renaissance was amazing. Especially the Wembley win after all those worries and struggle. 

Cut me and I bleed red. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 2

6 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

OTIB has been, like DaveFevs alluded, a lifeline especially during the past couple of years. 

What though has really irked me and  has shown up the social media faults (in this case OTIB) is that some on here  can't accept others have an opinion contrary to yours. There will be others who cannot or will not be able to have an informed, mature and intelligent debate on points that I have made. Just because you disagree doesn't mean you have to vent words of negativity at me as if I'm a useless and worthless individual who has alternative opinion. 

I have watched City through the thick and thin years since the 70s. If I say we have players in the academy not showing bite and aggression that's needed, then it is my opinion based on nearly 50 years of watching professional football. To then diss me because I'm not watching a game through rose (red) tinted spectacles is a shame and produces a slanging match instead of a discussion. 

OTIB shows how many of us care so much about this silly little team based in BS3. It's not the be all and end all in life. Start showing more respect to other posters, even if you disagree with their thought process. Respect will keep more people engaged in OTIB instead of leaving. 

Final question....if you had made a fortune would you re-invest money, tax dodge or otherwise, in BCFC? Steve and Maggie did.

Show some respect to show how much you care...in all walks of life, family and of course BCFC!

If I had billions of pounds, yes I would. I couldn’t bear the idea of the club being sold to some awful shark or money launderer. I was hoping it would be sold to someone like the Leicester City owner, really valued the fans.

Re OTIB, I’ve noticed some bullying behaviour towards specific posters, groups of people piling on one person when they post a comment. Then a huge deal is made that they are going to put them on ignore. Just ignore them, don’t make a show of it…what are you trying to achieve? Thank god for the ignore topic button.

The appointment of Nigel Pearson looked to me like the club was at last starting to address some fundamental issues. I was optimistic.

Having closely watched events on and off the pitch this season I can see that the club is in a very bad way and it's due to years of mismanagement from the very top. Sadly, I can see neither the ability nor any real ambition to change.

The Lansdowns selling up doesn't seem likely or even possible - the Bristol Sport organisation far too complicated to attract someone just interested in football.

The Lansdowns staying, with their model of selling anybody decent to keep solvent, doesn't look likely to bring any hope of a better future either.

Maybe I'm just told old know but just don't see a way to better prospects - and a football club like ours is in real trouble when hope has disappeared. Perhaps it's time for me to find something else to do with my Saturdays.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spudski said:

Just interested compared to myself so no malice.

I guess I'm an average supporter. Played football, and lived  for football all through my formative years and into 20's. Found girls, beer and marriage.

Watched and played...found other interests etc.

Continued watching city when life circumstances allowed. On and off season ticket holder.

In later years when watching rather than playing became the norm, meeting with pals, having some banter and a few beers and watching City took over for fun...that was what we did.

After so many years of following...owners, managers, players, excuses...at what point did it become a chore, rather than something that was enjoyable, where you worked all week and went back to work on Monday feeling good about life?

I read this forum and speak to mates and there is an underlying theme. It's ingrained...from youth, from family...years of following, often through habit. Stuck in a rut, nothing better to do, anything to get away from the missus. Escapism...thinking of the good ol' days. Let's face it...so much is compared to the past when circumstances at the time were fun.

And we constantly compare to the past.

Now...being middle aged. I ask myself...why am I so interested?

Watching and supporting a team I have no control over.

The deeper you get involved, the more it affects your mood. You watch, listen, read other people's thoughts. Some are so into it... literally sharing every thought and passion on a forum to randoms!!! I guess that comes from life circumstances. Some feel the need and release...others don't.

After many years...I've stopped going. Cancelled my season ticket and now go to watch semi professional football. I love it...breath of fresh air.

City is massively ingrained in my soul. Grandfather, father and me. Everyday i think about the connection and good times. I watch from afar now, occasional game, read this every day. So it means something. I question myself. Why do I care,why do I bother, why do I put myself through the emotions every weekend that affect my mood?

Gone from really into it, to absolute couldn't care less tbh.

Regardless of results, it's been shit for many seasons. 

So without sounding like a complete knob...why do you care? How does following City make a difference in your life. Have you ever thought why am I following this shit and allowing it to affect my life so much?

You get one life...the owner and players enjoy everything away from football to the enth degree.

Yet you work all week to watch and accept this shit accross the board, for years, thinking it's going to be enjoyable, entertaining...and just what we do. If you don't do it...you aren't a real supporter.

Well I think real supporting is now confused. It's moved on.

We are now £££££££s...nothing more.

Go back to 82...Cooper etc. Nothing compares...but we still compare that ethos, work ethic, support, family feeling.

Excuses after excuses after excuses...it's literally laughable.

Yet we all sit as supporters writing on here our feelings and research. Hours of our life...

Just a thought...

I think it’s the way football has changed, football is more business orientated now. No wonder off the pitch we have been excellent but on the pitch recently we have been woeful. I sometimes go to watch semi pro during the international breaks and days City are away and they are much more enjoyable at the moment, might be because I’m not overly bothered who wins but seems to be more about the fans

11 hours ago, spudski said:

Whats the point of feeling depressed every weekend?

There literally hasn't been many times where it's been fun. Where it hasn't had a negative affect on your mood.

Since SL.its been empty promises.

Premier League in the waiting. Really? How stupid are we? Same old mistakes every season. One step forward, two steps back. 

10 hours ago, spudski said:

Would you feel so happy if every home 3pm KO...would mean an 11.30 am start and ball ache to get to the ground either by car or public transport?

The majority of my friends have given up this season for a culmination of reasons. Mainly travelling.

Great OP. When I'm full of belief I'll travel all over the country to watch City, win lose or draw. But the brief drained away several years ago...a combination of empty promises, false hopes and the sheer slog of getting to matches.

On the promises, I'm not expecting City to rip up trees every week but watching the team I've supported since I was a nipper playing tidy football and competing with football's bigger boys would be fine by me. Not reaching repeatedly for the sky - crashing and burning. Most of the people I know who follow City are very successful in whatever track they have followed in life. I can't imagine any of us would have been taken in by the transparently vapid sales patter we've had to endure in recent seasons. Watching Ashton's interviews felt like an insult to the intelligence. I have a nagging sense that I'm taken for a mug by the club each time I renew our STs, which isn't true when I renew my membership of other organisations.

On the travel...it is indeed tedious. For quite some time the effort has been met with precious little reward!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I can't imagine any of us would have been taken in by the transparently vapid sales patter we've had to endure in recent seasons. Watching Ashton's interviews felt like an insult to the intelligence.

Exactly. There were those on here who constantly derided any opposition to Ashton as a mere dislike of “suits”. I just gave up commenting about him, at the time!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Exactly. There were those on here who constantly derided any opposition to Ashton as a mere dislike of “suits”. I just gave up commenting about him, at the time!

Which, for me, massively begged the question how hard headed, down to earth, Steve Lansdown, could possibly have been impressed by either Mark Ashton or LJ. I've made no secret on here of the fact that I wasn't!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@spudskiYou are very similar to so many of us.

First game at six years and I have always felt at home when surrounded by City fans. I've gone through the highs and a lot more lows without ever considering not going.

But the last four years, since the League Cup run and that pathetic defeat to Wolves, have been a downward spiral for my allegiance. The pandemic made me stay away and as yet with such poor performances and now recovering slowly from a waterworks operation, I'm wondering at 78 years if I should bother again.

All the money SL has put in yet it's now the biggest shambles I have ever seen. He has lots of money but not a single clue on how to use it football wise. Typical accountant!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Which, for me, massively begged the question how hard headed, down to earth, Steve Lansdown, could possibly have been impressed by either Mark Ashton or LJ. I've made no secret on here of the fact that I wasn't!

I know! I think Mashton’s money ball appealed to SL’s financial brain/way of thinking. Even after LJ was sacked, SL was still sticking to the mantra of “trading players” as if it was the only/primary concern of the club. He totally lost touch with what a football club is all about. YES, all clubs trade players but City seemed to see that as a priority over the quality of recruits and actually building a team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Followed City since 76 season in to Div 1. Have never felt so disconnected. Reasons?
Failure on and off the pitch has worn me down over time I suppose. So many mistakes made (not going to repeat what many have already said, as been well documented).
I was always anti this Bristol Sport ideology. It was only setup to protect Lansdown’s investment. Just dilutes the focus around Bristol City FC. Sold to the fans and many have bought in to it. Even after 20 years, we still have no Board, no chairman (Jon Lansdown is not a Chairman). Which means there has never been any internal/external accountability. How can this be right?
After another defeat, I have just come round to accepting it nowadays and quite frankly have little urge to get back down AG after Coventry. Have to admit that Coventry game hurt though. 
Until things change, can’t see me bothering as this bunch of players are just not good enough. Look at what we have sold in recent years. Then look at what we have available for this season.
Feels like we have been burgled as football fans. Shambles of a club

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

I was first taken in the mid 60's by my parents who had no interest but thought that I needed a hobby! Like many have said it's been a real roller coaster  in  the intervening years from steady 2nd division team to the dizzying heights of the old first division and then plummeting to the depths of the old 4th division. We've had a few notable cup runs and then the fantastic double season 14/15 but never been consistently great. I've moved around the country a fair bit but cannot become attached to another club as I always feel like a visitor. Yes we've been the "nearly" team on a few occasions but that is not restricted to City. I feel that getting to the "promised land" may be a step too far for us and will almost certainly save us of from beating Derby's low points score. 

How ever I see us I could never feel that Bristol City should become one of the "entitled " teams whose supporters become suicidal if their team only finishes 2nd or 3rd in the premier league! 

• Like 3

When I was a kid City were in the top flight. It was exciting to follow Bristol City at that time. I took it for granted.

We nearly died in 1982. I couldn't comprehend what that would have felt like if City were no more?

We trudged along just happy to have a club to support and it felt like everyone was in it together, fans, players, management, the directors that had saved the club. There was spirit.

Then we got better under TC and although we played in the bottom 2 divisions it felt exciting to watch.

We went to Wembley for the first time in our history and swept Bolton Wanderers aside and we were in dreamland. It felt like we were on the way back, it felt like the old First Division days, we could dream again.

A couple of times we nearly got out of the 3rd Division but just couldn't manage it until Joe Jordan took over from TC, we brought in quite a few signings and some unknown Leeds striker called Bob Taylor for £250,000.

Then we kicked on and went up into the 2nd Division and started really well. We were dreaming again and with Joe Jordan we were building momentum. Then, because of Joe's ambition to become Scotland manager he surprisingly bailed out on us whilst we were in the ascendancy to become manager of Heart of Midlothian, the momentum died and went into reverse as we slipped back into the 3rd Division.

Unlike a lot of clubs who come down and mount a challenge to go straight back up we immediately reverted to being a 3rd Division mid table team until John Ward took over and took us back up. We had momentum again. Then the board thought it would be a good idea to push John out of the way and get some foreign footballing brains (Benny Lennartson) in to make us better. It backfired. Ward wasn't happy and left and the momentum went in reverse again and eventually we ended up back in the 3rd Division (League One).

We sank to a new all time low when we were rock bottom of League One and brought in Gary Johnson. After an initial rubbish start and some strange signings we slowly got better and got into the Championship without having to go into the play-offs. Momentum again! We can dream again!

Then we have an amazing start to life in the Championship and stay top (yes, TOP) for a long period, during which time Sky Sports do their best to try and ignore our progress by hardly giving us a mention and by not even sending their reporters to our ground. They continue to talk about Norwich, Stoke, QPR etc. The ignorance was so blatant that City fans eventually phoned in to question how you could avoid talking about a team that was top of the league. It just went to prove how insignificant Bristol City are outside of Bristol.

As the finishing line to the promised land came within sight we choked (as we always do) and fell away into the play-offs....ahhh, the playoffs!

If anything sums up Bristol City as a football club it has to be the play-offs. One minute we are amazing and one step away from promotion and then, when the big day comes, we completely roll over to display our soft underbellies for a tickle and it's game over with fans scratching their heads as to why we never turned up for the big occasion? We have got to be up there with the worst play-off failure records of all time?

So, we get within 90 minutes of the promised land and the momentum takes a drastic turn again. We find ourselves fighting for our lives in the Championship. After a number of close scrapes we inevitably slip back into League One and fail to challenge for immediate promotion.

We slip and slide and then we bring in Steve Cotterill and take League One by storm. A complete turnaround, exciting football, league and cup double, 6-0 for promotion, 8-2 against Walsall. We are dreaming again!

Then, instead of backing Steve Cotterill we have 'pillars' and a completely uninspiring and useless summer transfer period in which we make 2 ridiculous last minute £9 Million bids for Andre Grey who says 'no' and Dwight Gayle who say's that he has 'never even heard of Bristol City'. City end up finding life a struggle in the Championship. Steve Cotterill, clearly annoyed that he wasn't backed, ends up stating his anger during the post match press conferences and then he is dismissed in a strange way.

Then in comes GJ Junior....LJ, apparently seen as the youngest bright spark in management who is going to take us to where we want to be and who is backed to the hilt financially. At the same time we have some real academy talent on the up. Joe Bryan has become both solid and influential and LJ decides to play Bobby Reid as a striker which proves to be a master stroke.

Momentum builds and we look like having a team worthy of competing for a return to the promised land for the first time since 1980. We have an amazing run to the semi-finals of the League Cup and we sit top of the pile in the Championship. Then during a match against Wolves we inexplicably capitulate and the wheels completely come off. We sell, sell, sell and the replacements are indifferent or injury prone. We start playing around with the ball across the back line without any intention of trying to break teams down, concede possession and lose games. LJ's post match interviews bamboozle everyone with complete waffle and we keep losing, week after week.

Then LJ begrudgingly (by the board) is relieved of his duties and we wait (what seems like and eternity) to discover that his exciting replacement is none other than his current number 2. Alarm bells are ringing loudly.

Little money is invested and at the very last minute we land a loan signing in the form of Benik Afobe. Benik starts well and we get off to a surprisingly good start under Dean Holden. Then disaster strikes and Afobe is out for the rest of the season. Having spent next to nothing over the summer our lack of strength in depth is completely exposed. Holden is eventually pushed out of the door and the club finally get in a real name as manager. The squad is riddled with injuries and the rest aren't up to Championship level, but as with any new manager coming in we get one or two results needed to keep us in the Championship before reverting to type and losing week in week out.

The summer sees us offload some players who are OOC, but worryingly there seems to be any real investment in the playing side with NP having to bring in some of his old trusty Leicester players. There is a bit of investment in an up and coming central defender from League One, but there is also dipping into the academy for hungry youngsters with a bit of talent.

The season starts with a mostly fully fit squad buoyed by the resigning of Andi Weimann and Nathan Baker, but after a few nip and tuck games a couple of knocks to key players expose our complete lack of strength in depth and the team revert to type. Some players decide that they are too good to have to put in a defensive shift, others battle in vein chasing shadows and some decide not to stay on their feet and instead bring players down giving away penalties in games we simply cannot afford to concede in.

NP is unable to polish the turd and the supporters turn, even though NP clearly stated at the beginning of the season that there is massive changes required and due to the impact of covid financially and FFP that there was going to be no quick fix. The pot is dry. The academy and the facilities to make City a sustainable club have received heavy investment and the results are expected to come from that route, it has to. City cannot compete with bigger clubs. It's a fact.

It's boom or bust with City. It always has been. There is no middle ground when it comes to the club I support. In some ways that is where the addiction lies. It's like looking at a burning flame and then trying to touch it only to get burnt. 

I now accept that my dream of seeing my team in the top flight is more distant than it has ever been, and with unsustainable rising costs and footballers who now live in a completely different world of egos and entitlement I fear that the dream moves further away.

Yet, I get what the board is trying to do and their intentions of simply having a club that can keep going is realistic and right. It may not be exciting and it might be painful a lot of the time, but the club can carry on trying to keep its head above water. You would have to throw ludicrous amounts of money at Bristol City in order to challenge for promotion to the Premier League. It's doomed to failure. Good players see Bristol City as a stagnant graveyard club, the media aren't interested....they even confuse us with Rovers. If we are going to get anywhere we have to do it ourselves and produce our own. 

The clear out of the current crop of disinterested players or players who are failing to make the grade will happen, but it won't be immediate and a change of management won't change it. This is Bristol 'Boom or Bust' City. It will get better again, but then the wheels will come off in true Bristol City fashion......it's inevitable, it always does.

Up and down the Robins.

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Like 1
  • Flames 2

Going back 30 odd years, I've invested a huge amount of time watching City. Had season tickets for about half of those years, but even in times when I didn't have a season ticket then id still go to some home games. This year I didn't renew my card a) due to uncertainty around Covid but primarily b) Fed up sat there in the cold hearing everyone moan and watching shite on the pitch. I've been wowed watching the infrastructure off the pitch grow over the years, but on the pitch we are miles off where we could be.

Not going to every game this season has given me back so much time to do other things - I kind of like it. I think I'm on a break for a bit, but I know deep down ill get a season card again at some point. I was planning on getting a half season card at Xmas, but its so poor right now id rather spend the money and go do something else. 

I don't necessarily want Premier League football like some fans. You think its corporate now - just wait when / if we got to the promised land. No - I just want to be entertained a bit, and watch a bunch of lads in a City strip play with a bit of passion and pride. I can handle not winning games, but i cant handle players who don't seem to care. 

• Like 2

City are my team, and they always will be. 

BUT I have to say, having discovered non-league during lockdown, I’m having much more fun watching division 7 football with my friends instead.

Because the emphasis (at least with my group of mates, you do still get some obsessives even at this level) is fun. It’s just a couple of pints, a catch-up, a laugh on a Saturday afternoon with some surprisingly good entertainment on show. I can honestly say, I’ve never left a match without feeling like I’ve had a good time. That is not something I can say for Bristol City…

Championship football is a results business. They’re not there to entertain us. I’ve also become completely disillusioned with the goal of the premier league - I really can’t be bothered watching us - for the most part - cling on for 90 minutes, and celebrate 17th season after season.

I think every single City fan has more fun in League One. But saying so is taboo. 

Just been hooked since the old man sat me on the wall in the enclosure way back in 82. Never been interested in any other club. Kids growing up we’re all Liverpool mostly in the 80s . But not me I was just City. Even people now who do you support. Bristol City. But who is your other team. Haven’t got one. The point I’m trying to make is that I fell in love as a boy with the club and it’s in me. It’s hard to describe 

• Like 1

Lockdown has given everyone some distance on what they regarded as their normal way of life.

People in low paid jobs with poor conditions and unsocial hours have had the time to look for another career - taxi drivers, hospitality staff, truck drivers - and everyone else has been given the opportunity to reassess their priorities.

Stripped of the crowds I found football deeply dull with all of the tedium of the school match which you had to watch in the rain.

Then you see the stupid money and the many players - though by no means all - with no loyalty or passion and begin to think "Well if they don't care, why should I?".

This also applies to the England team; I only watched one game in the Euros and that not through choice.

I've spent forty years living off that first amazing game at terraced Ashton Gate with the classic top league line up and with an unbelievable atmosphere for a kid to experience.

Forty years on it's a pale shadow of what it used to be and the momentum from that first game has finally run out.

It's an occasionally amusing distraction these days.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

Wow...some really thoughtful replies. Can't acknowledge all of them, but I'm glad it's made for an interesting thread. We all obviously care, that's shown in the comments. Thank you.

My support started with my dad taking me when I was about 7, 65 years ago. I was hooked. Like most I took time out of watching to play local football, then marry and raise a family, and shift work made a season ticket not viable. But the result still mattered and made or spoiled the weekend. Not now however. Yes I'm a long standing season ticket holder,  a Senior Red, a shareholder, and a member of the community Trust. So I still support my club and attend every home game although no longer away matches. The difference now is that the result doesn't matter to me because when I leave the ground, I leave any passion behind. The football is so bland now and the game I grew up loving is no more. Yes there have been highs like promotion, Wembley, Man Utd etc but they are just blips to me. My heart is no longer in it and to be frank its becoming a chore. I watched a game yesterday at Ashton Park between 2 teams of 7 year old. It was honestly the most enjoyable game I've seen in BS3 in about 4 years!!!  This is really quite sad.