IGNORED

should we stop attending away games to save OUR planet?

Never to the dark side

Of course not.

Bristol City are one of the four teams in the championship that have the furthest to travel this season.

I am a supporter of short distances for the planned FIVE away mid week games,

and long distance match's to be played on Saturdays, WHEN the fixtures are FIRST published.

PLEDGEBALL want Football followers to try and reduce their football carbon footprint.

Nearly 3,000 City fans went to coventry fans attended the game against Coventry on Saturday

I think approx ten coaches took fans to the game,correct me if I am wrong,and approx one hundred fans were on the first available Birmingham to Bristol train

That equates to approx 2,500 City went by car, and if each car took two persons that 1,250 cars were used to attend the game.

Maybe  football train specials could be started again(FREE OF CHARGE) subject to all passengers buying their match day tickets in advance.

See all you hoardes at Sheffield and Hull etc.

• Like 2

Was watching the champions league game the other night and bt had an advert with Joe Cole about the impact of climate change and what "we" (as in us) can do. One of them being not flying. 

Course, the irony being it was champions league week where I believe that every club playing away would have flown to and from their match. 

These ideals are for us plebs. Not for the wealthy elite who can carry on as normal. We're the problem, not them. 

If they really care about the effect of flying on the climate, do away with the champions league...... Let's see some tangible effort made by the preachers for once. 

• Like 15
  • Flames 2

13 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Of course not.

Bristol City are one of the four teams in the championship that have the furthest to travel this season.

and long distance match's to be played on Saturdays, WHEN the fixtures are FIRST published.

PLEDGEBALL want Football followers to try and reduce their football carbon footprint.

Nearly 3,000 City fans went to coventry fans attended the game against Coventry on Saturday

I think approx ten coaches took fans to the game,correct me if I am wrong,and approx one hundred fans were on the first available Birmingham to Bristol train

That equates to approx 2,500 City went by car, and if each car took two persons that 1,250 cars were used to attend the game.

Maybe  football train specials could be started again(FREE OF CHARGE) subject to all passengers buying their match day tickets in advance.

This exactly, even a tenner would induce people to use public transport. The extortionate price of public transport is my big bugbear with successive Governments trying to force people out of cars. I travel a round trip of 4 hours to every home game and would prefer to travel by train (to Parson St of course) but it is double the price and adds at least an hour to my journey.

18 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

This exactly, even a tenner would induce people to use public transport. The extortionate price of public transport is my big bugbear with successive Governments trying to force people out of cars. I travel a round trip of 4 hours to every home game and would prefer to travel by train (to Parson St of course) but it is double the price and adds at least an hour to my journey.

Problem Bristol has is it’s public transport is woeful compared to virtually every other major British city with the exception of perhaps Leeds. I took my flatmate to Bristol for the balloon fiesta a couple of years back and their main assessment of Bristol was it badly needs a transport system.

The metrobus thing looks farcical and is like putting a Tesco value plaster over the problem. There have been opportunities like the tram a few years back when BCC didn’t want it going to Cribbs and so another city got the funding instead 

I know it’s a cultural thing in Bristol peoples attachment to their cars but thats probably as much due to the lack of realistic alternative.

2 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Don't Want this to become too political but we should probably stop doing lots of things but what is the point of us doing anything when China, Russia and India just carry on regardless?

Perhaps Greta should demonstrate in Beijing or Moscow, see how that goes.....

Exactly, as if our tiny island will make a big difference in the larger scheme of things.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Exactly, as if our tiny island will make a big difference in the larger scheme of things.

All you can control is what you can control.

Seems a weak response to excuse your own accountability.

Thats by the by though. I was hoping this was more in protest at where we are as a club.

I quite like the idea.

People get in their high horse if you boo or show negativity at the ground, so let’s just not turn up?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Puckle_red said:

I was looking up trains to Blackpool for the game in Feb. £100pp, or I can drive there and back on a full tank, roughly £70 total so £35 each, decision made. I've always wondered why train fare is so expensive, a shame as it makes more of a day of it. 

When I first looked at train for Coventry, it was coming up around £67. A mate organised it , split ticket etc, ended up going via Gloucester, cost £35. Northern games are a rip off. I've pretty much given up on trains further North. We are trying to plan a trip to Rangers, cheaper to fly than go by train, absolute nonsense.

3 hours ago, 054123 said:

All you can control is what you can control.

Seems a weak response to excuse your own accountability.

Thats by the by though. I was hoping this was more in protest at where we are as a club.

I quite like the idea.

People get in their high horse if you boo or show negativity at the ground, so let’s just not turn up?

If you read the post properly you would see that I was responding to the last line of Galley is our king's post not stating something that I believe in.  Totally agree that everyone on the planet should make an effort (and I seem to be the only local dog walker that leaves the beach having collected several plastic / glass bottles to take home and recycle) but if the huge nations don't bother then what we do, as a small nation, is a total waste of time imo.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Of course not.

Train companies removing the cheap day returns on the weekend killed the train option.

7 hours ago, The Batman said:

Was watching the champions league game the other night and bt had an advert with Joe Cole about the impact of climate change and what "we" (as in us) can do. One of them being not flying. 

Course, the irony being it was champions league week where I believe that every club playing away would have flown to and from their match. 

These ideals are for us plebs. Not for the wealthy elite who can carry on as normal. We're the problem, not them. 

If they really care about the effect of flying on the climate, do away with the champions league...... Let's see some tangible effort made by the preachers for once. 

Blimey never seen a truer word spoken about this subject. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Don't Want this to become too political but we should probably stop doing lots of things but what is the point of us doing anything when China, Russia and India just carry on regardless?

I always think it's a bit cheap and irrelevant argument to criticise someone actually trying to do something for doing the wrong things rather than the people not taking action.

What frustrates me is the way businesses and governments constantly try to make us feel guilty about our individual choices and try to present climate change as something that is fixed by individual choices to distract us from putting the pressure on them to face up to their responsibilities to be sustainable. 

Greta should carry on doing what she is doing. But world leaders and businesses need to face up to their responsibilities. Our government - and other governments - should look at making systemic changes but also putting pressure on China, Russia, India and all the businesses contributing to emissions.

I absolutely agree with @The Batman that the problem is the wealthy elite who carry on as normal. But footballers are barely even scratching the surface of that problem. The power to change lies with oligarachs and billionaires. If they don't change then any change we make is pretty much irrelevant. 

Travel contributes far less to annual CO2 issues than many other things.

If we stopped trying to make everybody live forever and encouraged people to stop after one child it'd help far more than a round trip to Bournemouth ever would.

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I always think it's a bit cheap and irrelevant argument to criticise someone actually trying to do something for doing the wrong things rather than the people not taking action.

What frustrates me is the way businesses and governments constantly try to make us feel guilty about our individual choices and try to present climate change as something that is fixed by individual choices to distract us from putting the pressure on them to face up to their responsibilities to be sustainable. 

Greta should carry on doing what she is doing. But world leaders and businesses need to face up to their responsibilities. Our government - and other governments - should look at making systemic changes but also putting pressure on China, Russia, India and all the businesses contributing to emissions.

I absolutely agree with @The Batman that the problem is the wealthy elite who carry on as normal. But footballers are barely even scratching the surface of that problem. The power to change lies with oligarachs and billionaires. If they don't change then any change we make is pretty much irrelevant. 

Absolutely correct. You can feel good about it if you like but English football fans reducing their travel doesn't amount to a hill of beans in efforts to save the planet. We may think that a 300 mile trip is a long way but its nothing compared to distances travelled across Europe. It's not as if we're not trying anyway with electrification of the railways and electric cars. Football specials are a nice idea but even if the rail companies wanted them (which they don't) where are the trains going to come from. They struggle to run services now without adding to them. 

12 hours ago, East Londoner said:

Problem Bristol has is it’s public transport is woeful compared to virtually every other major British city with the exception of perhaps Leeds. I took my flatmate to Bristol for the balloon fiesta a couple of years back and their main assessment of Bristol was it badly needs a transport system.

The metrobus thing looks farcical and is like putting a Tesco value plaster over the problem. There have been opportunities like the tram a few years back when BCC didn’t want it going to Cribbs and so another city got the funding instead 

I know it’s a cultural thing in Bristol peoples attachment to their cars but thats probably as much due to the lack of realistic alternative.

When I moved to Madrid, the difference in public transport blew my mind. 

AND CHEAP (even if it has gone up over 10 years) 

55€ for the month: metro, bus, airport access. An absolute bargain. Never mind the fact the system in itself is fantastic. 

Every time I come back to Bristol, the serious b***hing begins alone. 

7.50 for a single from the airport 

Tickets which don't count on conpetitor services. 

And the timetable. I don't need to say more. 

Truly, you don't realise what's possible till you live elsewhere. 

Public transport especially our trains are truly a shambles, only in NZ was it worse where you basically have to fly anywhere to get anywhere on time if you’re not driving (or even if you are driving tbh). Countries across Europe certainly differ in quality, functionality and price but I most recently went from Berlin to Wrocław for ~€30, the train from Copenhagen to Malmö iirc was about 70-80dkk I remember thinking ‘oh a touch pricey’ before I remembered the exchange rate, it’s about £8, and also Rotterdam to Groningen (other side of the country) is showing as €27.40 right now on the NS app, not forgetting the fact that you can use the chipkaart on buses trams and trains which is SO convenient I was almost tempted to live there just for that (not really of course but the novelty of being able to get public transport easily was huge).
Conversely I actually can’t get the train to Sheffield United because someone thought having it at 12:30 on a Sunday would be a good idea and of course with Sunday service, nothing would get me there on time. Solution? Drive I suppose, it would also be cheaper than the ~£100 the tickets appeared to be when I briefly checked. 
At least Manchester has some good trams though. 
Edit: I’m obviously not saying that NZ is the only country that’s worse simply of all the places I’ve tried to use public transport consistently & not just as a tourist getting airport buses/taxis

Edited by underover

On 08/11/2021 at 08:30, Galley is our king said:

How does the odious little bint travel the world ?? ??
does she lease the Tardis from the Dr?

• Like 1

I will stop taking a flight, driving a car etc etc when the hypocrites preaching to us start doing the same. It was a nice touch of Joe Biden to only have 85 cars driving to the COP26, that was obviously a must.... How many planes flew in exactly? But as long as a celebrity tells me what not to do, with their staggering hypocrisy they can frankly do one imo.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, TheReds said:

I will stop taking a flight, driving a car etc etc when the hypocrites preaching to us start doing the same. It was a nice touch of Joe Biden to only have 85 cars driving to the COP26, that was obviously a must.... How many planes flew in exactly? But as long as a celebrity tells me what not to do, with their staggering hypocrisy they can frankly do one imo.

Celebrities/Elites/Politicians have no idea how the 'normal' people live, I would say the majority of people are concerned about putting food on the table for them and their family. 

It's nauseating listening to them drone on and on about their endless rubbish, they're boring - no wonder TV and Film has gone way downhill over the last decade or so when majority are more interested in stroking their own false ego and their hypocrisy stinks

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheReds said:

The Green Council leader for Brighton and Hove flew to Glasgow for the summit.

You couldn't make it up.