IGNORED

Richard Gould

Gillies Downs Leeds

4 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

He said on paper . That does not translate to a great team on  the field . 

Great Nige interview on this point and the work he had to do at Leicester second time around . ( coaches voice )  

He did say on paper, which is ridiculous. 

4 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Well if they believe that then surely they think NP is doing a poor job?

With that context yes, although in my opinion RG is incorrect in his assessment of the squad. 

Blimey. Only at City! Ultimately, I feel a little for the Club hierarchy  - what else can they do? Crap after crap no matter what they do.

I am so sorry NP is unwell but he has had COVID twice and now is unwell for who knows how long.  You cannot have the head guy missing so often when running a professional football club. Alarm bells rang when they said he wasn’t attending the Coventry game - and as a manager, you don’t miss games because of a cold so it must be something more serious and long-term.

Reading between the lines, I reckon the club have said to NP to take the next two weeks to get better. They have left the door open but if the illnesses persist, then they will have to move on. Ultimately, they are giving NP every chance but cannot put up with it for ever - and quite rightly so given the results returned thus far.

Fair play to him for fronting up, but he sounded pretty uncomfortable. Pure PR exercise obviously, but didn’t offer any real insight or answers beyond the obvious corporately delivered customer service style. This ain’t all his fault. He’s just having to do the predictable attempt at allaying the fears and diffusing the growing anger of the fans. Not massively convincing to be honest. Welcome back to the world of football, CEO.

Basically we’re in the shit, it sounds like our manager position is in some doubt due to awful bouts of Covid (and above all else his health is the most important), we have less coaching staff now with a squad who are severely short on confidence, and have little money. Basically out of our (fans) control apart from getting behind them as much as possible (like last 10 minutes v Barnsley) and hoping things turn.

There didn’t sound much of a plan apart from must work harder, imaginitive recruitment, etc. Hmmmm. Surely that’s always been said to be part of executing of the bigger plan. Will be interested to see how they firefight this present crisis. Let’s hope this all has been in discussion over the past couple of weeks and hope they have an interim plan in Nige’s absence. 

On the playing side, the biggest slice of fortune that we can hope for is that our injured players get fit asap and stay fit, then we might at least have a chance to keep a consistent line up and maybe just enough to stay up. Williams, Conway, James, Atkinson, Baker, Semenyo at least can add a bit of aggression or physicality (whether they do is down to them and the coaches - Aaarrrggghhh!!!).

Whatever the outcome, best wishes for a speedy and full recovery to good health for NP.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, P'head Red said:

Not sure how you managed to come to that conclusion.

I came to the same conclusion.  Gould said they wanted Pearson back, but would not say the Pearson would come back.  The only scenario is therefore that the club is unsure whether Pearson will come back.  He was very careful not to say that Pearson wanted to come back.

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Like 4

from the what I heard of the interview was very much stalling for time, sounds like NP won't be back at all and this and international break gives them time to sort out the situation (knowing city done on the cheap and generally ending in failure) a very poor interview that answered nothing and if anything just made the situation worse...

Seems like a bit of a shambles all round still hope NP will be back and will be given what is needed to succeed. But after listening to the interview feel worse than before it no confidence in anything that was said..

• Like 1

Agree with most comments in that the interview left more questions than answers.   The solution is to work hard to address slide and achieve our aspiration to be a high energy attacking team with our overpaid squad (top 6 budget) 

Having said that, Gould said that we’ve missed Nigels energy/presence since the last international break & makes you question what his attendance has been like due to his ill health over last few weeks ?  Is health a factor in sitting in stand? The key question I suppose is how long can he stay absent for in light of this statement & that’s they key thing we all want to know.  Clearly, the club knows and will have a contingency ready to invoke (you hope).

Equally felt that Gould didn’t come across as particularly impressive but in fairness it was a no win situation for him as so many things up in the air.  Credit for going on as we’d all be saying the club tells us nothing which in essence, I guess he didn’t in this interview.

We all needed a lift after recent results & we didn’t get it.

Edited by Shuffle
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Desso said:

Questions to ask him.

Have we still got a Chairman?

If allowed, is Steve prepared to back the club in January?

If the manager is away for an extended period, would we get a temporary coach in? cough, cough.

All the usual answers we expected asked about how much and what signings we could expect in January guess what wrong time to try an sign players wont be held to ranom  now where have we heard this before .

I've not watched or heard the interview but what I've read here and on Twitter sounds concerning. This guy has taken over Ashton and it sounds we're no better off with the only sight of our owner are pictures of him via the internet and the odd tweet from his useless Chairman.

No doubt there will be those who come out with "Get your money out" but I will cheer from the rooftops if and when he sells up.

The bloke never learns

• Like 3

What is worrying is the players are not only low on quality but low on confidence too, and without a leader that’s not going to get any better.

I thought it wasn’t possible to feel any lower as a fan than the capitulation to Forest and Coventry, but then the club comes out and essentially gives a 15-minute shrug of the shoulders to the supporters. It’s like Henry Winkler’s lawyer character in Arrested Development when he asks the Bluth family: “Right, what’s the plan?”

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Agree with most comments in that the interview left more questions than answers.   The solution is to work hard to address slide and achieve our aspiration to be a high energy attacking team with our overpaid squad (top 6 budget) 

Having said, Gould said that we’ve missed Nigels energy/presence since the last international break & makes you question what his attendance has been like due to his ill health over last few weeks ?  Is health a factor in sitting in stand? The key question I suppose is how long can he stay absent for in light of this statement & that’s they key thing we all want to know.  Clearly, the club knows and will have a contingency ready to invoke (you hope).

Equally felt that Gould didn’t come across as particularly impressive but in fairness it was a no win situation for him as so many things up in the air.  Credit for going on as we’d all be saying the club tells us nothing which in essence, I guess he didn’t in this interview.

We all needed a lift after recent results & we didn’t get it.

Absolutely, but to be fair he could hardly say he & NP have been lumbered with a right mess by Ashton, with players like Palmer & Wells on fortunes that don’t offer us any value at all.

To me the alarm bells sounded when he admitted Nige had long Covid & from there on I thought it was a damage limitation exercise.

• Like 3

I listened to it, and in fairness twentypence said that the club had set this up - so credit to RG for doing so. GT was pretty direct so no surprise it wasn’t the perfect interview, we can all see how bad it is on the pitch so even the best public speaker would struggle. 

my opinion - health is the most important thing, so fully behind Nige taking time and wish him a speedy, full recovery.  There is very little that the club can say, from an HR perspective, even if he was set to leave. But it wouldn’t surprise me to hear news of him leaving in the next 7 days. There is more to life. 

• Like 4

I’ve just listened while doing a half arsed gym session. 

I don’t think RG said anything wrong. When pressed on Pearson he said all that he could… that he’d hoped he’d be back. I don’t really see what else he could have said. 

GT also pressed him on what we’re doing to improve, which as CEO, I’m not sure he’s qualified to answer - that’s more a question for Nige. 

Don’t get me wrong, it hasn’t left me ultra confident, but I’m not sure it’s quite the car crash some are describing. 

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

If Pearson is on sick leave indefinitely and the club has no plans to recruit another coach, on current evidence do we have any faith in Curtis Fleming to arrest the slide?

I don’t know, in truth.

He has been in charge for 3 games, one of which we won.

His background includes coaching at other Championship clubs as well as us (Bolton. QPR, Boro) so he certainly possesses a better CV than say Holden.

To me though with a fortnight between games it all depends on the prognosis with Pearson because if it is long Covid then we have to look at replacing Pearson, not someone standing in for him.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’ve just listened while doing a half arsed gym session. 

I don’t think RG said anything wrong. When pressed on Pearson he said all that he could… that he’d hoped he’d be back. I don’t really see what else he could have said. 

GT also pressed him on what we’re doing to improve, which as CEO, I’m not sure he’s qualified to answer - that’s more a question for Nige. 

Don’t get me wrong, it hasn’t left me ultra confident, but I’m not sure it’s quite the car crash some are describing. 

So if it's not Gould's job and Nige is too ill to do his what do we do to improve?

If it's not been collectively agreed already we are well and truly stuffed.

i read it as the reigns have been handed over to curtis fleming for the unforseeable, now he can try what he thinks best without being worried about being frowned upon by anyone for his decisions, good luck to him,we know he knows how to win a game, hes got a 30% win rate of games so far .

in the meantime,nige can recover without worrying about anything being on his shoulders,win win for both of them. get well soon NP, i hope to see him back and the pair of them be successful at city, just got to hope the players trust CF now

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bristol red said:

I’m sorry… I admit I ain’t the brightest cookie in the jar… but.. what the xxxx does Gould do? What is his actual role? Did he play football?;  had he managed a football team?; had he had dealings with footballers agents?… sorry I may be completely wrong but as I see it… WTF??

You know who his dad is I assume? 

• Like 1