IGNORED

Press

Bs4Red

6 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Not sure what they can do, it’s a very difficult situation.  

Exactly, morally and legally making a change now is very difficult with the ongoing illness issue.

Temporary manager until the end of the season (Warnock) would be the happy medium for all concerned but is also a recipe for disaster.

4 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

I still like the idea of appointing Shakespeare as Head Coach with Pearson becoming director of football, this makes more sense now given the circumstances. This arrangement can then be reviewed in the summer. 

Gould categorically said no discussion has been held in relation to Shakespeare

1 hour ago, pl00peh91 said:

World’s biggest anticlimax 

So, although Nige not going, maybe misinterpretation of:

- media called to AG, when it looks like RG did a media video

- James Piercy has had access to RG for an interview / comment.

Obviously nothing quite like we (I include myself heavily in that) thought might happen today.  Haven’t listened to  20Man nor watched the club video.  Will do later.

That answer "that's what we want" when asked if Nige will be back, could mean that Pearson is struggling and not sure about his future. My mate has long COVID and struggles with energy. If he has even mentioned that he's not sure about coming back, there's no way they will get Shakespear in . 

One thing we can't do is let it drift on as it has been. Just watched Flemming's post match from Saturday, he moaned about going into ourselves. He had 45 minutes of that, he should have been screaming to get out. We need a leader in soon, whether that's Pearson back or someone else, but soon.

8 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I’m not sure what’s happened to this forum . Maybe lockdown , social unrest , life delusion s but there was a time when supporters got supporting when the going got tough . All we get now is a competition to state how many ways we can describe being distraught , outraged and disgusted , followed by demands for answers . So many talking about problems but with no solutions proposed. You know that person at work I’m sure. 

I dearly hope we never have another war to fight because it would be over pretty damn quick .

Stop bleating and get supporting . If you have not yet worked out what a tough period this is for our club then you must be an ostrich.

proper football chat is great but this moanathon is not. 

It's not a war though is it?...come on. It's a football club. It's being abysmally run. Some of us are season ticket holders and have invested a fair bit of the family treasure in the expectation of a modicum of entertainment.

This interview was a new low. I'm peeved and I have no concerns about expressing my peeved-ness!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I really hope someone is thinking about temporary measures!

Not so long ago we had an a manager, an assistant and two coaches. 

Now we effectively only have one of those men - and the team is all over the shop.

It calls for action .

Completely agree, wish Nigel all the best in return to his health but ultimately Gould has stated his employers do not know when he will return. If that’s the case, the club have to rufous and think of the long term. We’re heading for relegation as things stand , and Nigel could be away for weeks potentially months.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

I would have him looking at the entire club and be hands on when ready, I would appoint Steve Walsh to head up recruitment who would deal with the agents with Gould 

Good shout - sounds as if he’s certainly been involved in lots of areas already. Not a cheap team though I would imagine 

3 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Temporary manager until the end of the season (Warnock) would be the happy medium for all concerned but is also a recipe for disaster.

Precisely, in any business it would be.  Say Warnock comes in and starts turning it round and we have a good season.  What happens then ?

Welcome back Nige...  ?  Or please stay Neil ? 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

So, although Nige not going, maybe misinterpretation of:

- media called to AG, when it looks like RG did a media video

- James Piercy has had access to RG for an interview / comment.

Obviously nothing quite like we (I include myself heavily in that) thought might happen today.  Haven’t listened to  20Man nor watched the club video.  Will do later.

When you listen you will hear that is pretty clear Nige won’t be back and that RG is not even talking to him.

I hope it’s not down completely to his health being so poor and he is seriously ill. 

Reading between the lines sounds like it will be Nige Decision not to come back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red Army 87 said:

Good shout - sounds as if he’s certainly been involved in lots of areas already. Not a cheap team though I would imagine 

Very true, for the money though you get one of the best first team Coaches available and a top quality recruiter both would be worth there weight in gold and would possibly transform this club of ours if given the time.

Much rather appoint this pair and lose the wages of an O'Dowda or Palmer any day of the week. 

• Like 2

It is concerning, to say the least, that NP is unwell enough to be on 'indefinite leave'. I wish him a speedy recovery, but the cynic in me says that we have seen the last of him as manager.

As I mentioned earlier, this is giving me nightmare-ish déjà vu from the totally bizarre period of time leading up to (and including) Steve Coppell's departure - which IIRC was also mired by huge amounts of speculation but ultimately attributed to poor mental/physical health?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Add to the coaching team or allow NP to step back for, say, six months, and appoint a temporary manager.

As a CEO you are paid to solve problems. Deal with difficult decisions. In a word "manage". 

Temporary manager will create its own issues unless NP agrees to it.  Adding to the coaching team would make sense but we did just release 2 of the coaching team when NP caught covid for the second time. I expect Shakespeare is incoming but you can’t say that until it’s agreed.  

Firstly, priority here (as I've said all along) is Nigel's health. I think it's good the club haven't put any timescales/pressure on Nigel (publicly) to return.  Get well soon Nigel and whatever decision you make has to be right for you and your family.

From a business/club perspective though and at a time when we need some strong, confident leadership (and clear communication), it just feels like more uncertainty- left in limbo. I'm sure there's lots going on behind the scenes but outwardly it feels like the opposite.

This form table highlights the crisis we're in and it doesn't get any worse than this. Plus when you factor in the reduced coaching team, I cannot see how this is going to improve whilst Nigel is out. 

The players maybe playoff quality on paper, but names on paper is completely irrelevant compared to the reality we're in. 

1663586912_Screenshot_20211108-192034_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.516fc57e13772152dadfd4b3e0b9b8cf.jpg

5 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Temporary manager will create its own issues unless NP agrees to it.  Adding to the coaching team would make sense but we did just release 2 of the coaching team when NP caught covid for the second time. I expect Shakespeare is incoming but you can’t say that until it’s agreed.  

Everything has to be agreed with Nige, but letting Fleming try to cope alone for an unknown amount of time is not an option.

Nigel, as a pragmatist,  will see that. 

33 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Very unconvinced by that. That’s my first time hearing Gould and length and being truthful I felt it was a poor interview - not just on the Pearson situation. 

Lots of filler on needing to ‘work hard’ and how we have ‘good players’. Had to really press him to get firm answers on Massengo etc. Excuses, which aren’t necessarily untrue, about competing with PP clubs. Didn’t seem to understand coaches roles either and a predictable safe answer about solutions to improving the atmosphere. 

I’m sure he’s a very nice guy, and I appreciate it’s a tricky situation, but I felt he really sounds like a Lansdown man. Decent, polite and won’t really rock the boat. That as a first impression hasn’t impressed me and I’m not really sure it’s what the club needs. 

Full credit to him for coming on though, and hopefully my first impression is wrong. Credit to Geoff for pressing him too. He asked the questions the fans wanted to hear.

I feel that RG missed an opportunity with an unconvincing, underwhelming interview. 

At a time when the fan base need some reassurance and confidence from our leadership to demonstrate that our ship isn’t rudderless and steering the wrong course, he failed to  inspire me that all will be ok, that we’re in safe hands and that nobody need worry.

What I heard was, the captain has fallen ill and his first mate, who’s never captained a ship of this size before, is going to take the wheel and do his best to steer us in the right direction assisted by the ships doctor and a C(isse) scout. 

I feel less confident now of reaching dry land than before RG tried to reassure me. That can’t be a good thing. Man the lifeboats. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 5

Just watched the club interview with Gould on YouTube. Basically talks through the situation in a measured way. Interesting and things I picked up.

Gould

1. Nige hasn’t been around much since the last international break 

My take

Seems that everyone is a little shaken by it. Destabilising and might account for the malaise of the past few weeks.

Gould

2. Looking to improve the squad from within and through recruitment. The current situation means that some plans will be brought forward, but still looking for value.

My take

So some recruitment in January if we can get the right players. Sounded like they might have targets identified for the summer but will see which, if any they can bring forward. 

Looked absolutely aghast at the prospect of relegation, so at least we won’t sleepwalk towards it without measures being taken. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Precisely, in any business it would be.  Say Warnock comes in and starts turning it round and we have a good season.  What happens then ?

Welcome back Nige...  ?  Or please stay Neil ? 

At this moment in time that "problem" would be nice to have!

At the moment Lansdown can't know which way to turn, he won't be able to or probably doesn't even want "sack" Pearson but can't let this drift on and on...who knows when NP will be back and even if it is within the next month this situation may well happen again this season.

One option would be Colin till end of the season but given we wouldn't have a long term commitment with him are the players really going to buy into his way of management (given there performances to date I doubt Pep could get them going), also who signs the players in January? What if NP / NW can't agree on the recruitment process, who does SL back?

The other option would be to bring in Shakespeare as his trusted right hand man until NP is back but if we go down it's another compensation we need to pay.

Absolute fucksmuddle of a situation that from where I'm sat is likely to end up in some kind of legal dispute, my gut feel is the club is hoping NP makes the decision for them but time will be running out in a week or so. I would imagine there are all kinds of conversations going on at the moment behind the scenes about which way to go hence RG's holding interview tonight.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

What do you want him to say in regards to the football questions ? He’s not a football man , he’s a businessman unlike the last fraud . It’s not his job to answer questions on tactics etc. 

that’s true, but you’d expect him to be prepared for it. He should’ve known it was coming. 

6 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

Just watched the club interview with Gould on YouTube. Basically talks through the situation in a measured way. Interesting and things I picked up.

Gould

Was working up at the training ground a couple of weeks ago and Nige was there and seemed to be okay to me. He actually looked to be in quite a good mood and gave us the ? 

This is going to be messy and drawn out I think . The club will not sack him whilst there’s a chance he’ll walk of his own accord on the grounds of Poor health . The latter option being much the cheaper option no doubt !  Expect to see CF being given the role as indefinite cover for NP in the hope that he’ll resign anyway ! Pretty sure the Sags would like to see Barton gone too but will likewise hold out to see if he actually gets convicted of either of his assault charges so they can sack him for nowt ! What a basket case this City is ?

Edited by Baldyman

17 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

Gould

My take

Seems that everyone is a little shaken by it. Destabilising and might account for the malaise of the past few weeks.

Gould

2. Looking to improve the squad from within and through recruitment. The current situation means that some plans will be brought forward, but still looking for value.

My take

So some recruitment in January if we can get the right players. Sounded like they might have targets identified for the summer but will see which, if any they can bring forward. 

Looked absolutely aghast at the prospect of relegation, so at least we won’t sleepwalk towards it without measures being taken. 

I was quite surprised at that. If we are looking then I really hope we have a recruitment team sorted, especially if NP is out for any length of time. Disappointed that this wasn’t asked as opposed to the style of play questions.

7 minutes ago, swanker said:

Was working up at the training ground a couple of weeks ago and Nige was there and seemed to be okay to me. He actually looked to be in quite a good mood and gave us the ? 

Which makes everyone think there is more to it than this interview. Richard Gould was just a holding statement.  More to follow soon for sure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Nigel Pearson leaving the club is Twitter speculation ‘at this point’.  

Does this mean he continues as manager? ‘That is what we want’

Very political responses 

I’ve been out for a walk and just listened….flabber-effing-gasted by those answers.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

RG just confirmed that Nige has long covid and will be back as soon as he’s fit and well so all the social media rumour mill is all bollocks

He didn’t actually say that, although he implied it by saying long covid is a big unknown.  I have nothing to doubt that in fairness but the answers to the questions that followed were far from convincing as Red Dave says.

My summary, tough (good) interview from Geoff, but questions remain whether a CEO should be answering true football questions, and probably highlights we need someone between the CEO and the manager who understands both sides of the fence and can be objective on both parts.  That’s not a dig at RG, just my continued thinking of the gap in the BCFC hierarchy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cornacix the Druid said:

My take on it is that Nige has been ill for longer than admitted, and may have taken on too much by taking job on. Its now coming to a head as Nige cannot do what he was employed to do. Nige (proud man) doesn't want to walk and bcfc doesn't want him to go. However, both are thinking about what is best for Nige and the club and, it's obvious, the guys health comes first and we cannot dither about with the team in free fall. I'm sure both will come to the same conclusion if not already done so. It's just a matter of when and how.

Totally agree.  

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I suppose the point of the interview is to confirm that the Manager has a serious illness that may or may not be a long term thing and that the club want him back in the role but with such an illness this cannot be guaranteed. You would have to be a thick as pigs shit simpleton to go on record and say he's definitely going to be back. Clearly this situation will be ongoing which is why Gould has to be slightly evasive. It's not that hard to understand.

Which makes me wonder why go on the radio at this point.  Why not leave it at the club video he did earlier?