IGNORED

Press

Bs4Red

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Deary me. Just caught up with the interview. Not exactly Churchillian was it. Where’s the rallying cry? The inspiration? The enthusiasm? The determination?

No doubt Jon Lansdown will be along next, sounding like he’s about to cry like he always does.

It’s all so flat, so uninspired, so dull, so cosy and comfortable. We are a club bereft of good, strong leadership. That transcends the manager of the football team and is a big part of our problem as a club.

Jon probably made him a 'get well soon card' using the same set of paints he used for the centenary shirt and got a bit wobbly-lipped when Nige wasn't gushing over it.

9 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Deary me. Just caught up with the interview. Not exactly Churchillian was it. Where’s the rallying cry? The inspiration? The enthusiasm? The determination?

No doubt Jon Lansdown will be along next, sounding like he’s about to cry like he always does.

It’s all so flat, so uninspired, so dull, so cosy and comfortable. We are a club bereft of good, strong leadership. That transcends the manager of the football team and is a big part of our problem as a club.

Agreed. I don’t think I’m too reactionary, but I thought it was a really poor interview. I’m more concerned about the situation now than when the rumour broke - surely the idea of the interview is to reassure the fan base. 

He may not be a natural public speaker, but it didn’t sound like he was remotely prepared for what was a fairly predictable line of questioning. 

• Like 2

I think that City will be looking for a new manager during this two-week break…..once someone has agreed to join, City will then announce Nige’s departure due to ill health.

The firmest answer RG gave during that interview was “No” to the Craig Shakespeare question…..perhaps a sign that Nige won’t be here long term as you’d think City would have been interested, following his departure from Villa

Hope I’m wrong as so want Nige to succeed here…..

Edited by Loosey Boy

14 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Unfortunately 'indefinite leave' appears to be a common feature for many with long covid. You feel better and then you are knocked back again.  You only have to look at Steve Cotterill .

Dunno if you saw it but Cotts was interviewed before Shrewsbury's game yesterday and said that he still regularly feels fatigued nearly a year on, he was in bed at 8:30 the night before to make sure he had enough energy for the game.

• Like 1

Sounds like NP isn't in good shape, I hope he does put all his energy into getting himself back on form again but you do wonder whether he'd be better off packing this in and concentrating on himself but off he might be the kind of person where another focus is far more helpful to him. The constants knocks to your health gets you down as well as the health issues themselves.
I have met him and been able to speak to him for a decent amount of time and he's a thoroughly decent, funny bloke, you could have a top evening over a few pints with him I'm sure. So I hope he looks after himself and can get back to health

It may well be why you've looked rudderless in recent weeks if he has been absent a lot. It's a shit situation for everyone concerned to be in. Where the heck do you go from here, it's not a good situation for a football club to be in.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Playing devils advocate, thinking out loud too….lots of posts about Nige unable to motivate, unable to set a game plan, etc.

Lots of two plus twos coming up.

Could the reason be that he’s not been around much as per @HappyClapper’s summary of the club video (I haven’t seen yet) and the players have missed his direction.

Was the feedback that KD and PS couldn’t step up, hence they’ve gone.

Was that why CF was made permanent to keep the message clear, even if Nige not there.

Was that why Alex Ball has stepped up, because he could deliver what Nige wanted, having spent some time covering PS earlier.

Obviously hoping Nige makes a full recovery, but in a perverse way feel more comforted by the video comments than the radio interview.

I’m going to watch the video. It’s probably wise to see that and get to view Gould’s body language etc. Harder to gauge a radio interview which, from my pov, was pretty awful. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Playing devils advocate, thinking out loud too….lots of posts about Nige unable to motivate, unable to set a game plan, etc.

Could the reason be that he’s not been around much as per @HappyClapper’s summary of the club video (I haven’t seen yet) and the players have missed his direction.

Was that why CF was made permanent to keep the message clear, even if Nige not there.

Was that why Alex Ball has stepped up, because he could deliver what Nige wanted, having spent some time covering PS earlier.

Obviously hoping Nige makes a full recovery, but in a perverse way feel more comforted by the video comments than the radio interview.

Interesting take @Davefevs. I remember the interviews after Holden had gone and they were at a complete loss with how to deal with the situation and seemed broken by it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Gould has impressed before, but this is a military man sent in at short notice with no plan. He was clearly VERY uncomfortable. 

26 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

So, several hours in and aside from no pressure conference, we are all still none the wiser and speculating.

Love it.

Hope the big fella makes a full recovery and does whatever is right for him and his family. Hopefully that includes a fully fit and focused NP continuing to manage the side, but if it isn't right and his doesn't want to be living and working remotely and alone when feeling shit, you can't blame him.

I think that interview has actually told us quite a lot regarding Niges future. 

The massive implications of what Gould said are that they hope he comes back but he probably won't. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Jon probably made him a 'get well soon card' using the same set of paints he used for the centenary shirt and got a bit wobbly-lipped when Nige wasn't gushing over it.

Maybe he’s put my sons name on the card, because there’s no way it’s in the white shirt! ???

9 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

Interesting take @Davefevs. I remember the interviews after Holden had gone and they were at a complete loss with how to deal with the situation and seemed broken by it.

It’s one of the things that made me post what I did.

Bottom line is we can’t continue with Assistant Manager, now filling in as stand-in manager for indefinite period whilst also acting as chief coach with help from previous u23 coach.  Not sustainable or sensible in anyone’s book. The Chairman and/or the owner should tell us what their plan is or rumours will simply continue to grow, and we’ve been there before.  All of which is damaging.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. All a bit strange and a very odd PR strategy. Say what you like about Ashton, and I’m delighted he’s gone, but I don’t think he’d have handled that in such an uncertain way. 

In all fairness, Ashton would be well and truly hidden under his rock, so credit to Gould for going through with it. 

My take from that:

1) NP has been unwell - and much worse than admitted - for a while.

2) The club will give him time to decide his future, but before the Jan window so a new guy can do his own dealings re: players - so maybe 6 weeks time for a decision

3) The 'press conference' was to find a leak.  The leak has been found.

As far as SL is concerned - relegation is NOT  an option, any replacement will be of the highest calibre available - if they want to come. If NP is able to come back - he will be given as much backing as possible in the Jan window to stay up and push on next year. If NP is up for it, he will be given as much backing as LJ was.

Relegation this season is not an option for so many reasons.

I'm sure either way - we all wish NP the best moving forward

Those wishing ill of him, or suggesting it is all made up regarding his illness - give your bloody head a wobble.

Edited by The Constant Rabbit
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

3) The 'press conference' was to find a leak.  The leak has been found

I doubt that, more a classic case of Chinese whispers.

RG plans public update on NP being unwell & away from club for the foreseeable turns into press conference announcing had left due to ill health.

• Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

that’s true, but you’d expect him to be prepared for it. He should’ve known it was coming. 

Prepared or not. If he knows nothing about football (tactics) how can he answer the questions. Perhaps that fabulous football brain steve Lansdown should of put himself up for interview . 

14 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

As I said mate he’s been spot on every time he’s given me information. I pass it on as people are interested. Many others have heard the same today. 

I’d post his info again with no hesitation sometimes it happens 

Is it possible your mate has been fed spurious info from within the club to see if there is a leak?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Which makes me wonder why go on the radio at this point.  Why not leave it at the club video he did earlier?

I think he was backed into a corner with the rumours that were floating around yesterday. If he didn’t do the radio interview he would have added flames to the fire. A difficult situation but I think he had to do the radio interview. 

I’m sure discussions are going on privately between the club and Nigel, and with it being medical they’re restricted to what they can say. Personally I don’t think Nigel will manage us again, whether that’s his decision or the clubs not sure but just a gut feeling 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, daored said:

I think he was backed into a corner with the rumours that were floating around yesterday. If he didn’t do the radio interview he would have added flames to the fire. A difficult situation but I think he had to do the radio interview. 

I’m sure discussions are going on privately between the club and Nigel, and with it being medical they’re restricted to what they can say. Personally I don’t think Nigel will manage us again, whether that’s his decision or the clubs not sure but just a gut feeling 

We cannot afford as a club to go forward without a manager at the helm. Appreciate the guy is unwell but a decision will need to be made sooner rather or later on whether we bite the bullet and bring someone else in

The club has a duty of care to their employee, but at the same time if there is no sign of Nige returning in the near future , we have to make alternative plans . We simply cannot afford to continue with Fleming in charge, we will go down 

From what some have heard, I think you are right. I don’t think he will manage us again 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

We cannot afford as a club to go forward without a manager at the helm. Appreciate the guy is unwell but a decision will need to be made sooner rather or later on whether we bite the bullet and bring someone else in

The club has a duty of care to their employee, but at the same time if there is no sign of Nige returning in the near future , we have to make alternative plans . We simply cannot afford to continue with Fleming in charge, we will go down 

From what some have heard, I think you are right. I don’t think he will manage us again 

Spot on andy