IGNORED

Who killed cock robin

BigAl&Toby

Should ask @BigAl&Toby

Before I do, certainly respect the passion plus get the frustration etc with the last couple of seasons on and off the pitch.

Anyway yeah, what I'd ask is:

*Who- by which I mean profile wise- would you like as new owner or ownership were SL to sell up successfully etc tomorrow?

*You also realise I'm sure that we couldn't then splash the cash with a clean slate etc? Not for another year or 2 anyway I think.

Also for @Kid in the Riot as that poster often talks of new investment/ownership?

Lastly if we cannot splash fairy freely for a year or 2 on current trends, new owners or not what would you like within those obvious constraints to be done differently?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

I’ll tell ee who.

The ****** with the bow and arrow.

The shit show continues. I know who I’d like to see pack his bags……

32143BCB-4090-443D-9388-0745C03D34E5.jpeg

Those were the days, fans right behind the club.
Thanks for posting. One of the great things about OTIB is the past memories.

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

Good luck finding a new owner who can afford to buy the clubs/Bristol Sport, can afford the ongoing financing, has the best interests of the city/region at heart, and has the good faith not to treat the whole shooting match as an asset stripping exercise.

Respectfully - Bristol Sport isn't the selling point.

It's the already constructed homes, those with PP approval, and the land awaiting PP approval.

Bears are break even - the Flyers are an irrelevancy - they were the 'excuse' for a 5000 seater , much bigger 'walk around' indoor venue. The money there is for presentations, shows, conventions, concerts etc. It can be used 300 days a year minimum.

The football in the championship isn't an attraction - but to a new owner - think USA and Chinese interest here, the carrot of a team ready made for the prem, with a stadium easy to expand to 35,000 is a part of it too.

The hotels, bars, boxes, shops etc will see income sky rocket - and with prem TV money.

I struggle to comprehend (not aimed at you) how people constantly fail to separate the Football from the package as a whole.

People aren't buying BCFC - they are buying a package of land, houses, offices, venues, hotels - with a brand new stadium om the middle which can host 3 games a week across 2 codes, hold multiple concerts, functions in 2 venues 300 days a week, and hold business meetings in boxes watching City v Arsenal or Bristol Bears v Bath. Plus Failand, and other holdings that the Lansdown family has.

The new owners want to do a deal with company 'x' - so they invite the chairman / ceo, a well known Chelsea fan to Bristol via private jet. 

Limo to the penthouse suite on the top floor of the new hotel overlooking the Suspension Bridge. Dinner in the CBD - working lunch to talk business on Saturday morning - retire to luxury box to watch City v Chelsea.

All the deals can be tied up by the accountants and lawyers who lease suites in the new office tower (pp pending).

A one-stop shop.

Meanwhile - a 5000 concert in the Flyers arena, bars open, take-aways doing business (all in the pending plans) - quick clean up - Bears on Sunday, another concert Sun night.

During the week - there will be literally hundreds of spaces to rent for meetings, presentations, weddings - anything really in the stadium, offices, hotels, and stadium.

Thats what is for sale - not Bristol City.

And the attraction with City is only in the Prem.

To be sold for max gain for SL - BCFC must be in a solid, realistic position to go up to the Prem. The new owners will happily splash out, as TV money, sponsorship from multinational companies and interest in their own countries vis TV rights etc will be huge - plus quite simply, the exposure for the new owners will be enormous.

The big prem owners didn't buy the clubs for the football. They bought it for the business the exposure gets them, the non-match revenue, and as a place to do business.

And in the Prem - the TV and sponsorship covers most of the cost.

I hope that explains things much better.

It's not about BCFC - it's the whole package.

Buyers are waiting - relegation is not an option.

I know for a fact 2 other people know the names of 2 of the interested parties - they can step up if they want.  1 Chinese with a growing international presence in their field, 1 from USA, also known in their field but not one of the big players. Both looking to change that.

12 - 24 month time frame. All to be sold - though I believe the current owner wishes to retain a minority stake in the Bears. Source is impeccable, and is in the correct circles to know, been around since Harry and Marina's time - close friends with both and  attended Marinas birthday in July.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 3

2 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

It's the already constructed homes, those with PP approval, and the land awaiting PP approval.

Bears are break even - the Flyers are an irrelevancy - they were the 'excuse' for a 5000 seater , much bigger 'walk around' indoor venue. The money there is for presentations, shows, conventions, concerts etc. It can be used 300 days a year minimum.

The football in the championship isn't an attraction - but to a new owner - think USA and Chinese interest here, the carrot of a team ready made for the prem, with a stadium easy to expand to 35,000 is a part of it too.

The hotels, bars, boxes, shops etc will see income sky rocket - and with prem TV money.

I struggle to comprehend (not aimed at you) how people constantly fail to separate the Football from the package as a whole.

People aren't buying BCFC - they are buying a package of land, houses, offices, venues, hotels - with a brand new stadium om the middle which can host 3 games a week across 2 codes, hold multiple concerts, functions in 2 venues 300 days a week, and hold business meetings in boxes watching City v Arsenal or Bristol Bears v Bath. Plus Failand, and other holdings that the Lansdown family has.

The new owners want to do a deal with company 'x' - so they invite the chairman / ceo, a well known Chelsea fan to Bristol via private jet. 

Limo to the penthouse suite on the top floor of the new hotel overlooking the Suspension Bridge. Dinner in the CBD - working lunch to talk business on Saturday morning - retire to luxury box to watch City v Chelsea.

All the deals can be tied up by the accountants and lawyers who lease suites in the new office tower (pp pending).

A one-stop shop.

Meanwhile - a 5000 concert in the Flyers arena, bars open, take-aways doing business (all in the pending plans) - quick clean up - Bears on Sunday, another concert Sun night.

During the week - there will be literally hundreds of spaces to rent for meetings, presentations, weddings - anything really in the stadium, offices, hotels, and stadium.

To be sold for max gain for SL - BCFC must be in a solid, realistic position to go up to the Prem. The new owners will happily splash out, as TV money, sponsorship from multinational companies and interest in their own countries vis TV rights etc will be huge - plus quite simply, the exposure for the new owners will be enormous.

The big prem owners didn't buy the clubs for the football. They bought it for the business the exposure gets them, the non-match revenue, and as a place to do business.

I know for a fact 2 other people know the names of 2 of the interested parties - they can step up if they want.  1 Chinese with a growing international presence in their field, 1 from USA, also known in their field but not one of the big players. Both looking to change that.

12 - 24 month time frame. All to be sold - though I believe the current owner wishes to retain a minority stake in the Bears. Source is impeccable, and is in the correct circles to know, been around since Harry and Marina's time - close friends with both and  attended Marinas birthday in July.

Just out of interest how wealthy are those supposed investors ?.

6 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

A one-stop shop.

Great post and will defer to you on this stuff TCR.

All of those revenue streams- tapped and still to be tapped-who do we think would be benefit? The club or a hypothetical new ownership.

Looking at CH a while ago, I don't know whether to be assured or worried by loans from SL or Pula, can't remember entirely without checking tbh secured against fixed assets. One was/is IIRC secured against Ashton Gate.

19 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

A one-stop shop.

With no offence meant to the originators of today’s rumours - but sources, however good, are not always reliable as today has very amply proved.  
It’s a nice story and no doubt there is interest out there, but there is a massive difference between parties showing an interest and them actually putting pen to paper and investing / buying out. I’d be amazed to see anything happen in 12/24 months.  Longer term yes, no doubt.  

@The Constant Rabbit exactly.  Football is a bit of cash cow for the other riches.  It’s why SL himself has happily dumped £150m into the football club, because it’s all the other bigger things that come with it.

Out of interest, do you think SL wants to sell the whole bloody lot, and leave Jon with the proceeds and everything else….or do you think he only wants to sell some of it, leaving a non-cash inheritance for Jon and something to stop him getting bored?

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@The Constant Rabbit exactly.  Football is a bit of cash cow for the other riches.  It’s why SL himself has happily dumped £150m into the football club, because it’s all the other bigger things that come with it.

Out of interest, do you think SL wants to sell the whole bloody lot, and leave Jon with the proceeds and everything else….or do you think he only wants to sell some of it, leaving a non-cash inheritance for Jon and something to stop him getting bored?

My understanding is all - save for a stake in the Bears for SL.

Jon in Bermuda is managing to sub-divide property.

Having lived in Bermuda - that takes serious 'influence' - people have to live there 20 yrs to qualify to apply to become 'citizens'.

To get PP - Jon must have some serious clout - Houses are extorbitant, more than enough to make a living, a great living, if he can sub-divide on a regular basis. Jon's no Mug, despite what some people think.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Great post and will defer to you on this stuff TCR.

All of those revenue streams- tapped and still to be tapped-who do we think would be benefit? The club or a hypothetical new ownership.

Looking at CH a while ago, I don't know whether to be assured or worried by loans from SL or Pula, can't remember entirely without checking tbh secured against fixed assets. One was/is IIRC secured against Ashton Gate.

Both - current will get a great price

New - increased income when all streams of potential profit come online.

500 million people worldwide watching BCFC v Man Utd with the new owners name plastered everywhere is such a coup.

The new guys should have the sports arm self-sufficient - with prem Football, but the business side is the real deal.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Very.

Less than SL - he is 1205 on Forbes wealthiest on the planet, but they are still in worldwide business.

SL is only involved in 'philanthropic' business in Africa as far as I know. With benefits of course. Why do you think City went on a tour there not so long ago ?

The exposure of prem TV advertising, in a base that provides so many income streams, with scenarios that I decribed above makes the whole thing a great deal.

Think of another 'prem club in waiting' in an affluent area with so much land to develop.

Plus the pull with the council should the new owners decide to base some parts of their businesses in bristol.

That all I'm going to say, and I expect a phone call giving me a bollocking within the next day or two.

Its east to work out, if you see the big picture.

18 minutes ago, lenred said:

With no offence meant to the originators of today’s rumours - but sources, however good, are not always reliable as today has very amply proved.  
It’s a nice story and no doubt there is interest out there, but there is a massive difference between parties showing an interest and them actually putting pen to paper and investing / buying out. I’d be amazed to see anything happen in 12/24 months.  Longer term yes, no doubt.  

It's been going on for longer.

The tour to USA was only part of it.

It's just been the timing - brexit etc etc

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

A one-stop shop.

I didn’t need the package explaining to me thanks. But you missed out the bit about an owner who still has the well-being of the club/city/region at heart. Do you want a Chinese or American owner who is just after the bucks? Because I’m sure a lot of us don’t. Maybe that’s all the Lansdowns  ever wanted too; I don’t know that bit.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.d2fb811f754df05909b8b7e9f6513998.png

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/05450440/charges/j41JIbi72q1qcBgIr6rtRA1Jl2I

This was the charge I mentioned earlier @The Constant Rabbit and anyone else. Link is above, not really looked much at it- or if I did look it was a while back.

Should we be worried, see it as benign, not really of consequences? Charges are charges after all and can be cleared, satisfied, partially satisfied or crystallised to name a few- but it does seem to cover rather a lot. Pula Sport are the ones entitled here.

There are many many possible scenarios of course but here are four basic theoretical ones- IMO anyway.

• SL is lending this knowing that we cannot pay it back on the required schedule in order to take full control of the listed assets into his own company/companies.
  • SL is actually doing it to help the club- in the event of some kind of sale he would own them and this would protect from the new owners eyeing up real estate opportunities at our expense.
  • Could be looking to safeguard as above but charge a massive rent for use of the facilities after sale of the sporting side.
  • SL intends on point 1 to boost the total valuation of the club etc when the time comes to sell.

If it is point 1 then we'd perhaps better get promotion fairly sharpish!

I'll leave it to others but it's a fairly comprehensive charge on first glance.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I didn’t need the package explaining to me thanks. But you missed out the bit about an owner who still has the well-being of the club/city/region at heart. Do you want a Chinese or American owner who is just after the bucks? Because I’m sure a lot of us don’t. Maybe that’s all the Lansdowns  ever wanted too; I don’t know that bit.

I was perplexed as to why we didn’t join 40 other league clubs in backing the recent fan-led initiative which would require the parachute payment system - something which our CEO has repeatedly complained about - to end. 

Reading this thread and the comments from @The Constant Rabbit our snub makes perfect sense.

It also proposed tougher reviews into any potential new owner and fairer distribution of TV money. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

I did say 'respectfully' and 'not aimed at you'.

Sorry for any offence.

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Should ask @BigAl&Toby

Before I do, certainly respect the passion plus get the frustration etc with the last couple of seasons on and off the pitch.

Anyway yeah, what I'd ask is:

*Who- by which I mean profile wise- would you like as new owner or ownership were SL to sell up successfully etc tomorrow?

*You also realise I'm sure that we couldn't then splash the cash with a clean slate etc? Not for another year or 2 anyway I think.

Also for @Kid in the Riot as that poster often talks of new investment/ownership?

Lastly if we cannot splash fairy freely for a year or 2 on current trends, new owners or not what would you like within those obvious constraints to be done differently?

I think The Constant Rabbit has explained the detail behind a possible buyer now, and given the reasons for it.

Whatever Lansdown’s reasons for investing so heavily in BCFC they haven’t worked in a footballing sense.

I believe that in that footballing sense we are worse off now than when he became involved. Some will say we’re in a similar position now to what we were then.

For me it’s the disappointment that comes from lost opportunity. We’ve had some great moments in recent years but they were only fleeting. Then was the time to develop and progress. 

What did we do? Stagnate and sell off those players who’d got us there. 

You know as well as I do why Lansdown has set up multi layered companies and moved assets and income streams between them. Nothing unusual or illegal about that I’m sure but it does mean that where once BCFC was simply a football club it’s now simply a small part of a much larger entity.

Many on here have questioned my feelings towards Lansdown but I fear that league performance and where we generally are today are the results of the seeds that Lansdown has sown.

Ask yourself this. How can anyone who has been so successful in other parts of his life get things so badly wrong?

Unless of course he hasn’t. Whatever he’s done or not done he’s made sure he’s always had the security in place to come out ok. Security in the form of a charge over valuable assets or in the form of an extremely valuable resi building consent.

And how futile it now seems. Buying shares to keep the Cock Robin tweeting. And who put paid to that and is now holding those shares? Steve.

If something doesn’t happen soon the Cock Robbin won’t just be dead. He’ll be well and truly buried.

• Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

8 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Here’s the modern rub. You don’t actually have to be ‘wealthy’ as such. You simply need a business plan which retains the capacity to raise finance. ‘Investment’ in the SL sense- ie putting my hand in my own pocket to produce dosh- is v unusual. The buyers will obviously have a significant commercial profile which will equate to assets and, as such, ‘wealth’. But in future any injection of funds will be raised (ie probably ‘borrowed’) against assets (existing and predicted) and the income stream these assets will (or at least may) produce. Good owners- eg Leicester- will do this and keep the fans inside. Others- eg Glazers at MU- will borrow against the club in the expectation that the fans will pay it off by increased ticket prices and buying more stuff. Premier League / Sky money obviously integral. Say what you like about SL but personally I love the bloke. Because in future his seat in the Directors box is filled by a Chinese/ American/ Middle Eastern businessman/ woman in a brand new red and white scarf.

Edited by Bedred31

8 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I was perplexed as to why we didn’t join 40 other league clubs in backing the recent fan-led initiative which would require the parachute payment system - something which our CEO has repeatedly complained about - to end. 

We all know that the parachute payments will end the instant that we make and get relegated from the Prem. That is Bristol City.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

I think The Constant Rabbit has explained the detail behind a possible buyer now, and given the reasons for it.

Whatever Lansdown’s reasons for investing so heavily in BCFC they haven’t worked in a footballing sense.

I believe that in that footballing sense we are worse off now than when he became involved. Some will say we’re in a similar position now to what we were then.

For me it’s the disappointment that comes from lost opportunity. We’ve had some great moments in recent years but they were only fleeting. Then was the time to develop and progress. 

What did we do? Stagnate and sell off those players who’d got us there. 

You know as well as I do why Lansdown has set up multi layered companies and moved assets and income streams between them. Nothing unusual or illegal about that I’m sure but it does mean that where once BCFC was simply a football club it’s now simply a small part of a much larger entity.

Many on here have questioned my feelings towards Lansdown but I fear that league performance and where we generally are today are the results of the seeds that Lansdown has sown.

Ask yourself this. How can anyone who has been so successful in other parts of his life get things so badly wrong?

Unless of course he hasn’t. Whatever he’s done or not done he’s made sure he’s always had the security in place to come out ok. Security in the form of a charge over valuable assets or in the form of an extremely valuable resi building consent.

And how futile it now seems. Buying shares to keep the Cock Robin tweeting. And who put paid to that and is now holding those shares? Steve.

If something doesn’t happen soon the Cock Robbin won’t just be dead. He’ll be well and truly buried.

Was that from 1982? Possibly I misunderstood the initial post or missed the point of the thread on first glance. If it was from those dark days, it strikes me that the bond between club and fans was much stronger then as set against now.

It's debatable the progress or lack of. By some metrics his 20 years has been somewhat superior I'd have thought in terms of average League position, years in the 2nd tier eg but by other metrics have we achieved as much as we should? Probably not!

FFP, plenty of clubs at our level are selling and trading clubs. Otoh we had a cast iron opportunity in January 2008, that was an opportunity that we did not seize and Stoke pipped us while Hull surged post Christmas. No FFP back then!

January 2018 we were perhaps hemmed in by FFP but at the same time, our collapse to miss the top 6 entirely was fairly unacceptable. We had a good margin of error, we also had players returning from injury and we would have had the momentum from the Cup run to change or try to change our playoff history.

Arguably with a lot of the same players who flourished in Cups between 2014/15 even 2013/14 in one off games and 2017/18, 2018/19 that experience would have still carried over so we finished in the top 6. That January was one FFP wise in which we COULD have looked to add 2-3 more to try and make the difference, loans whatever. Striker and CM certainly. Two and possibly 3 notable fails for differing reasons.

That's football too tbh. Plenty of wealthy individuals, successful individuals in field X fail to transfer it. I'm somewhere in the middle on SL personally.

Will reserve judgement on the real estate ROI bits, I've always thought that until such time as a gain is realised then it's hypothetical or paper. However it's certainly plausible.

The charge bit, Security I dunno whether we should worry or not. Can't make my mind up tbh what's your thinking?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was that from 1982? Possibly I misunderstood the initial post or missed the point of the thread on first glance. If it was from those dark days, it strikes me that the bond between club and fans was much stronger then as set against now.

It's debatable the progress or lack of. By some metrics his 20 years has been somewhat superior I'd have thought in terms of average League position, years in the 2nd tier eg but by other metrics have we achieved as much as we should? Probably not!

FFP, plenty of clubs at our level are selling and trading clubs. Otoh we had a cast iron opportunity in January 2008, that was an opportunity that we did not seize and Stoke pipped us while Hull surged post Christmas. No FFP back then!

January 2018 we were perhaps hemmed in by FFP but at the same time, our collapse to miss the top 6 entirely was fairly unacceptable. We had a good margin of error, we also had players returning from injury and we would have had the momentum from the Cup run to change or try to change our playoff history.

Arguably with a lot of the same players who flourished in Cups between 2014/15 even 2013/14 in one off games and 2017/18, 2018/19 that experience would have still carried over so we finished in the top 6. That January was one FFP wise in which we COULD have looked to add 2-3 more to try and make the difference, loans whatever. Striker and CM certainly. Two and possibly 3 notable fails for differing reasons.

That's football too tbh. Plenty of wealthy individuals, successful individuals in field X fail to transfer it. I'm somewhere in the middle on SL personally.

Will reserve judgement on the real estate ROI bits, I've always thought that until such time as a gain is realised then it's hypothetical or paper. However it's certainly plausible.

The charge bit, Security I dunno whether we should worry or not. Can't make my mind up tbh what's your thinking?

All great points - ta!

I’m a cynical bugger at times. Not always!

My view for what it’s worth is if my mortgage lender had terms that they knew I couldn’t meet then I’d be worried!

That’s the sort of thing that Martin Lewis or those black leathered motorbike riding buffoons would have a field day over.

Fixed and floating charges are great things. Gives the lender ultimate control in so many sets of circumstances and breaches of covenant.

Now I’m not suggesting that Steve had such a covenant built in to his for one moment, but it wouldn’t surprise me. 

And of course as the ultimate beneficiary of the charge he’d also have the power to appoint. Not for one moment I’d guess he’d do that……

I suspect that the great and the good of the Merchant Venturers and the professionals within the Bristol legal and accountancy communities will have made sure that Good Old Steve won’t be losing his shirt anytime soon! ?

16 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

The hotel and hospitality sector is in dire straits and owing to supply chain issues next year is forecast to worsen. You may wish to invest in it, I wouldn't. Retail likewise.  The Government has removed commercial Use Case Consents for good reason, the commercial property sector has so much spare capacity rents, in all but specialist and select locations, are through the floor. My local and once very prestigious mall is 1/3 empty and to keep footfall up (so as the Landlords don't have to compensate the 3 large tenants who underpin the complex,) they've opened endless pop-up and cheap-jack stores such it now has the allure of Symes Avenue.

Entertainment income from sports stadia unless as in The States (multi-purpose and indoors,) is limited. AG might have 5-6 days a year, all throughout the summer, sub 20k capacity. If City turned £20 profit on each paying punter you're looking at £2m. Not to be sniffed at but nowhere near justifies the cost of building a stadium.

The ONLY reason to buy City is the prospect of Premier income.

• Like 1