IGNORED

James Piercy take a bow.

Major Isewater

Agree, good article, enjoyed reading.

This is purely my opinion, of course, but I think we might be further along the road than the article suggests. I don’t blame Gould for being shaky in the RB interview, he can only say what he can say and certainly can’t offer assurances he isn’t in a position to give, but I thought his tone spoke volumes and it simply isn’t a situation the club can allow to drift.

It goes without saying, seem to say it in every post, Pearson’s health comes first. No question. However if he isn’t in a position to return to work (or definitively state he will return to work imminently) by the end of the international break then the club need to start putting feelers out for replacements. Again, purely my opinion, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s already happening. In fact I would go as far as saying that, in my mind, it’s possible Pearson has already told the club he requires an indefinite amount of time off and the extent of the situation isn’t being acknowledged publicly.

From the article I thought the attached was quite telling. Just wording, perhaps, but ‘disinterest’ and ‘exasperation’ caught my eye. We now know that Pearson has been {largely} absent for some time, seemingly coinciding with our dip in form. Mentioned in other places players can be a fragile bunch and if I were Fleming et al I would be using this time to asses who has the character to buckle down and lead in these difficult circumstances and who is going with the flow, absolving themselves with a ready-made excuse for underperforming.

F64B5778-9D96-4484-88FF-55D7A67BC914.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It is not top journalism at all.

If he was a top journalist he would be finding out exactly what the situation is regarding Nigel Pearson's health and its ongoing effect on his position as manager. 

It is in situations like these, when official information provided is vague and uncertain, that traditionally reporters step up to the task and provide clarity for its readers (or supporters). For example, 'Nigel Pearson has been given an indefinite period of leave to recover from xxx which has left him unable to xxx. The club have / or have not a plan B in place should he not return'.

It is not his job as a reporter to toe the party line, make snide remarks about internet rumours and wait for an official club statement. 

Simply sitting back and providing an 'analysis' of the situation is called punditry. It can be done by anyone with a blog. It is lazy journalism and merely contributes to the opaque atmosphere surrounding the club at this moment in time. In fact, allowing that nebulous atmosphere to continue merely fuels the rumours he is so quick to ridicule. 

(And yes, the club and Nigel Pearson may not want certain details made public.  It could be argued in NP's case that is the morally right thing to do. That doesn't mean that scenario not be challenged and properly investigated. It may make him unpopular but journalists have never been, and should never be, official mouthpieces). 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hmmm 4
  • Flames 1

42 minutes ago, whoklldredrobin said:

If he was a top journalist he would be finding out exactly what the situation is regarding Nigel Pearson's health and its ongoing effect on his position as manager. 

It is in situations like these, when official information provided is vague and uncertain, that traditionally reporters step up to the task and provide clarity for its readers (or supporters). For example, 'Nigel Pearson has been given an indefinite period of leave to recover from xxx which has left him unable to xxx. The club have / or have not a plan B in place should he not return'.

It is not his job as a reporter to toe the party line, make snide remarks about internet rumours and wait for an official club statement. 

Simply sitting back and providing an 'analysis' of the situation is called punditry. It can be done by anyone with a blog. It is lazy journalism and merely contributes to the opaque atmosphere surrounding the club at this moment in time. In fact, allowing that nebulous atmosphere to continue merely fuels the rumours he is so quick to ridicule. 

(And yes, the club and Nigel Pearson may not want certain details made public.  It could be argued in NP's case that is the morally right thing to do. That doesn't mean that scenario not be challenged and properly investigated. It may make him unpopular but journalists have never been, and should never be, official mouthpieces). 

Health is confidential and they probably aren’t sure themselves as COVID is new

Its a great piece of writing 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, whoklldredrobin said:

What nonsense.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Top journalist. 
Well done son and ‘ thank you’.

Brilliant analysing, bang on the money.

You beat me to it Major! every piece he has done on City has been insightful and brilliantly written. shame he is the main editor, wish he would continue to cover City.

I like Greg MacGreg, but JP is Prem, the greg mister is L2 (like most of city players at the mo!)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

image.thumb.png.7b613e249f5b2bb6d83e49f79110a95a.png

image.thumb.png.b3f552a129c7977c86ab5d7d9c819a87.png

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Perhaps he means investigative journalism? The article does appear to me mostly comment and speculation, unless he actually asked the players if they knew what was going on. I didn’t find it particularly good but that is more down to the essay style of writing than anything else. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

image.thumb.png.7b613e249f5b2bb6d83e49f79110a95a.png

image.thumb.png.b3f552a129c7977c86ab5d7d9c819a87.png

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

I think the clue is the word ‘news stories’. 

I can read your posts - if I wanted commentary or analysis. 

I am not suggesting Piercey is not a good writer, or shouldn’t publish his view. I am arguing against the description of it as ‘top journalism’

as the local sports editor his job it is to move the story on - to find out information that is not currently in the public domain. To create clarity out of what is a very uncertain situation. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, whoklldredrobin said:

I am not suggesting Piercey is not a good writer, or shouldn’t publish his view. I am arguing against the description of it as ‘top journalism’

as the local sports editor his job it is to move the story on - to find out information that is not currently in the public domain. To create clarity out of what is a very uncertain situation. 

You're describing investigative journalism. A type of journalism 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, whoklldredrobin said:

Spot on, I think. The article, whilst it is well written, doesn't actually break any news. It is a long rebuttal of the wild speculation that appeared on various social media platforms. If anybody bought some or all of the speculation then fair enough this article was news. Not everybody did though - sometimes we just don't know.

• Like 1

That was well written and I enjoyed reading it. The thing that struck me is that as well as missing matches, it's stated that he hasn't been able to give it everything while he's been around. If that's not true then maybe it wasn't such a good article. If it is true, then I'm not sure what the next few weeks up to Christmas is going to tell us that we don't already know. He mentions that at some point things will come to a head. From a horribly practical point of view, I think we may have already reached that point. We cannot continue as we are and we must keep an eye on the league table. Would it be better to say take the rest of the season off and bring someone else in with a clear understanding that it will be reviewed then? People would know where they stand and it would be taking action to try and arrest the teams decline. Continuing exactly as we are isn't helping anyone.

As I say, this is all from a horrible practical point of view. I really wanted Nige when we appointed Johnson and I was more than happy when we finally appointed him. Most of all I want him well and succeeding with us.  

Edited by Kingswood Robin
Typo

Not so good today, ..."no mention of "trading" either, folks". Er, see Gould interview on official site: "... we may have to be imaginative, we have to trade ...". Part of broader context, but trading remains an option.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-january-transfer-window-6187530

Edited by The Original OTIB
Addition of word for sense

It's a useful and largely well written summary of the events of Monday. Useful to have someone pick out and compare the relevant sections of the Post article, the RB interview, and the YouTube piece. Useful also to have that same person put them into context and to show some of the internal club reaction.

Probably the best all around summary, and quicker to read than the 40 odd pages in the thread on here.

No it doesn't add much in the way of facts, but it does add useful context, and I like Piercy's style (although there's a couple of typos tucked away in there).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Original OTIB said:

Not so good today, ..."no mention of "trading" either, folks". Er, see Gould interview on official site: "... we may have to be imaginative, we have to trade ...". Part of broader context, but trading remains an option.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-january-transfer-window-6187530

A great summary of our issues in midfield in that article though.

• Like 1