IGNORED

An opportunity for Curtis Fleming to shine

Top Robin

Looks like he will be in charge for at least the next few games.

I know eff all about him really but he has a chance to show his worth and improve things in the pitch.

Sometimes, events like this can be the making of someone who had previously sat in the shadows. 

Good luck to him! 

• Like 7

It is almost a fortnight until we play again so I’m hoping we will have more clarity on Pearson’s situation by then.

He is apparently taking this week off & so next week is key.

However if Fleming is then in charge for the 2 upcoming home games I do hope he does it “his way” rather than deferring to someone who is not well enough to be there in person.

CF has been with us long enough to have seen enough of the players & has a reasonable CV as a coach, I genuinely don’t know how he will get on, but he should back himself to make the calls, such as how we set up & substitutions.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I know eff all about him really but he has a chance to show his worth and improve things in the pitch.

Sometimes, events like this can be the making of someone who had previously sat in the shadows. 

Good luck to him! 

Typical City 

If he shines things could go two ways. 1)  He's offered the job on a permanent basis and fails = equal meltdown on the forum due to the "cheap option".  2) He's offered the job on a permanent basis and succeeds = everyone on the forum says Steve Lansdown is a genius.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

If he shines things could go two ways. 1)  He's offered the job on a permanent basis and fails = equal meltdown on the forum due to the "cheap option".  2) He's offered the job on a permanent basis and succeeds = everyone on the forum says Steve Lansdown is a genius.

Hmmm, somehow I get the feeling that option 2 will never happen.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

And I am starting to worry. 

We looked rudderless Saturday, can't see things getting better.

It’s really difficult being second in command though. Does he go against everything Nige says and do his own thing, and try something completely different, or carry on with what had already been discussed?

27 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

We all know which way it would go now don’t we? 

10 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

It’s really difficult being second in command though. Does he go against everything Nige says and do his own thing, and try something completely different, or carry on with what had already been discussed?

Totally get that, and he did follow the trend that we had set recently, we just let the game drift away from us.
What we needed was some dynamic and positive decision making. All well and good blaming the players for Saturday, but he didn't help at all. 

I actually think that someone like Warnock could do a job, I hate to say it. Someone that has experience in short term solutions and immediate impact. We were in trouble with a fit Pearson, without him we are sliding to relegation troubles.

EDIT:

Saturday was made different by going a goal and a man up at half time. We could have taken the game by the scruff of the neck, and didn't.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

If Pearson is unwell, he has to step totally away. Concentrate on his recovery. 

Whoever is at the helm during this period needs to have the freedom to operate on his own terms.

Cotterell's assistant did that at Shrewsbury and was actually pretty successful. SC gradually eased his way back in, rather than returned abruptly

(On another point: given that Pearson is said not to have felt well for weeks, how daft was the decision to get rid of the other coaches and not replace them?)

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

If Pearson is unwell, he has to step totally away. Concentrate on his recovery. 

Whoever is at the helm during this period needs to have the freedom to operate on his own terms.

Cotterell's assistant did that at Shrewsbury and was actually pretty successful. SC gradually eased his way back in, rather than returned abruptly

(On another point: given that Pearson is said not to have felt well for weeks, how daft was the decision to get rid of the other coaches and not replace them?)

How daft or how planned was the decision to get rid of the other two coaches ?

It’s now becoming clear that Nigel has been struggling for some time (well before Simpson and Dowling departed) and as things stood previously they not Fleming would have been expected to stand in for Pearson. Maybe Nigel felt that was not a scenario that he wanted to pin his future on if he had to take time off and wanted to give Fleming unchallenged authority in his absence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

Good luck to him! 

Well his audition against 10 men.......on Saturday didn't go so well?  So I am not holding out much hope for when he's confronted with 11?

3 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

It’s now becoming clear that Nigel has been struggling for some time (well before Simpson and Dowling departed) and as things stood previously they not Fleming would have been expected to stand in for Pearson. Maybe Nigel felt that was not a scenario that he wanted to pin his future on if he had to take time off and wanted to give Fleming unchallenged authority in his absence.

You have a short memory?  They couldn't cope previously when put in temporary charge, and who know's how good at coaching they were anyhow ?   I didn't any evidence of their apparent coaching ability having any effect on tactics, formation, passing,ball control etc etc...need I go on?

6 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

One thing sticks out for me. One nil up at half time against ten men, and he tells the team to shut up shop second half. Regardless whether a side is competent enough to do this (we aren't ), its a very negative and anti-football thing to do. Not for me.

Where did he say this, I saw one clip where he moan about the team going in on them selves, but not him instructing them to sit in.

23 minutes ago, marmite said:

Was he the man that picked the team and made the substitutions on Saturday? If Nige has been unwell for a while is it Flemming who has been running this side lately?

If yes to both or either of these questions, then it's a big no from me.

I think I heard it said prior to last Saturday's match that NP picked the team. I guess CF was responsible for the substitutions.

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

This whole episode suggests to me that this has come as unexpected. I think that Pearson coming back soon after the last bout of Covid meant he believed he was okay and they ploughed ahead with their plans to change the coaching set up. Sadly, he’s relapsed and probably rightly needs a long period of recovery. NP strikes me the type of character that will battle through things, has a lot of professional pride, but he’s now realised that he needs to rest up properly. Hopefully this period will be only a short one, but if it does seem prolonged, then I do think we will need extra coaching help, or an interim head coach should be appointed, whether that is Fleming or someone else.

None of us know and I do think that the RG interview confirmed that they are trying to buy some time to get a clearer picture of the situation. I do think we have a bit of time, despite the poor form. If this was the 10 games to go in this situation, I think they would get someone in to firefight even if only temporary.

It would seem to offer some explanation as to why we may feel that this is not the 100% Nigel Pearson we thought we were getting. That”s not saying he hasn’t been 100% committed, more not 100% fighting fit, understanably. I hope this situation is that Nigel recovers good health first and foremost, and in the meantime this might just be the catalyst to galavanise all parts of the club, players, fans, staff, etc, to pull together and produce an ’us against the world‘ mentality and come out battling. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, maxjak said:

You have a short memory?  They couldn't cope previously when put in temporary charge, and who know's how good at coaching they were anyhow ?   I didn't any evidence of their apparent coaching ability having any effect on tactics, formation, passing,ball control etc etc...need I go on?

Sorry wasn’t that what I just said.That their departure might have been planned because they weren’t up to it and Nige may not have wanted a scenario where they could be in charge. Hence Fleming is promoted and they are sent packing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Sorry wasn’t that what I just said.That their departure might have been planned because they weren’t up to it and Nige may not have wanted a scenario where they could be in charge. Hence Fleming is promoted and they are sent packing.

My apologies if i misinterpreted your post......it did seem a little ambiguous?  Maybe it was the lack of commas?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I certainly wasn't against getting rid of Simpson and Dowding. Given how unorganised the team are; How poorly they deal with the basics, it looked like their influence was taking us backwards rather than forwards.

But at the same time, I felt they needed replacing with better coaches.

We now face a situation where Fleming - a man who as far as I'm aware has never had sole responsibility for a first team - is on his todd,  with just an U23 coach, who has other responsibilities,  to help.

Given that Pearson has been reportedly struggling with his health for weeks, that shows a complete lack of foresight by the club executive. 

• Like 1