IGNORED

Where are they now? Giefer, Marinovic & Lucic

Fordy62

Just watching the cricket. The all whites (the NZ football team) are in attendance.  It got me thinking about Stefan Marinovic and he got me thinking about the other two and I got interested as to where they were all plying their trade nowadays, so for those of you who have any interest (I wholly don’t blame you if you don’t!), here goes;

Marinovic - has just left Australian A league team Wellington Phoenix and has now joined Israeli Premier League team hapoel nof hagalil. 

Geifer - currently playing for German 3rd division club Wurzburger Kickers.

Lucic - plays for Croatian Top flight team Prva HNL.

So there you go. That entertained me for all of about five minutes.

Meanwhile, Elliot Parish is playing in goal for Scots Prem St Johnstone.

Edited by Fordy62
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Just watching the cricket. The all whites (the NZ football team) are in attendance.  It got me thinking about Stefan Marinovic and he got me thinking about the other two and I got interested as to where they were all plying their trade nowadays, so for those of you who have any interest (I wholly don’t blame you if you don’t!), here goes;

Marinovic - has just left Australian A league team Wellington Phoenix and has now joined Israeli Premier League team hapoel nof hagalil. 

That's Nazareth, in Hebrew.

Just looked them up. Newly promoted to the top tier. Play in a stadium with a maximum capacity of 5K. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Geifer - currently playing for German 3rd division club Wurzburger Kickers.

Lucic - plays for Croatian Top flight team Prva HNL.

So there you go. That entertained me for all of about five minutes.

Meanwhile, Elliot Parish is playing in goal for Scots Prem St Johnstone.

I actually think Marinovic gets a bad press, as it seemed frankly bizarre to me that LJ threw him in against Ipswich (on a night when it was blowing a Gale) when he had barely been in the country a week & hadn’t played a game in ages. He made an error virtually from the kick off but was bailed out by Lloyd Kelly & actually made a decent save in the second half.

Lucic had a shit attitude (Tinnion said so) & so I’m not surprised his career has gone nowhere.

Geifer seemed to have injury issues & was another bizarre LJ addition.

Parish has had a remarkable career, been released after 1 year by virtually every club he’s been at, yet made a living as a back up keeper.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elruliri said:

Must of been mid-80's? He was bloody awful, one game to many.

He must have been absolutely shocking. To remember one loan player from that far back! 
I can’t remember most of our current players but that guy has stuck! 

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

You remember it like I do. 

(if by remember you mean Wikipedia!)

Unbelievably I didn’t use Wiki!!! He’s left a nasty scar on my memory ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

He must have been absolutely shocking. To remember one loan player from that far back! 

Having now checked Wiki.  It turns out Ian Leigh played in that 80s game where Bournemouth beat Man U in the FA Cup - and kept a clean sheet. 

3 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I'm pretty sure TC dropped John Shaw who was either injured or lacking form? John soon came back. I think Keith Waugh came in soon after. Now he wasn't yo shabby.

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Gieffer absolute stank of a Mark Ashton agent brown envelope. The bloke was third choice at Schalke and hadn’t played a game in 2 years, so there’s no way he was scouted. 

Legend has it we found Marinovic on transfermarkt looking at OOC keepers

Simpler times. 

Weren't we at a point where we were struggling with injuries to keepers though? In that respect I can understand the signing, but whoever was playing in goal at the time (minds gone blank) wasn't doing too badly, so the decision to drop him and play this guy who had just come into the country was a bit dumb.

You're right though, it did stink of an agent saying "well I know this guy isn't getting any minutes and would jump at the chance of coming over, just throw me a few k and I'll sort it".

Did pull of a few decent saves though. Truly shocking with the ball at his feet.

1 minute ago, Taz said:

Weren't we at a point where we were struggling with injuries to keepers though? In that respect I can understand the signing, but whoever was playing in goal at the time (minds gone blank) wasn't doing too badly, so the decision to drop him and play this guy who had just come into the country was a bit dumb.

You're right though, it did stink of an agent saying "well I know this guy isn't getting any minutes and would jump at the chance of coming over, just throw me a few k and I'll sort it".

Did pull of a few decent saves though. Truly shocking with the ball at his feet.

Fielding. It was always Fielding we were trying to replace. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I swear Gieffer was supposed to be really good at some point before bad injuries?

Would not be the first time we bring in a player who is not the player they were, but hoping we can get them back to their best. LJ being too confident in his own abilities. 

Diony - Was apparently really good a year before we signed him at Dijon. But was apparently a disaster at his new club at the time Saint Etienne. Carried on being a disaster for us.

We had apparently agreed a 10 million pound fee if we wanted him permanently at the end of the season ?

Marley Watkins is another. Was very good for Barnsley, Norwich signed him. Had injuries and was apparently really poor for them.

So we gambled 1.5 million on him hoping he'd go back to the player he had been at Barnsley. Norwich fans could not believe it. The odd good game but never worked out for us.

Sure there's others too. Could even say Kasey Palmer, a ridiculously expensive signing for a player who couldn't have been playing that well as he couldn't get in our side!

Diony on loan at Red star Belgrade now.

Diony currently on loan at Red Star Belgrade from Angers FC.......he is now 28, and should be in his peak years?   But it would seem that he had his time in the sun, at Dijon FC between the ages of 22-25, when he was scoring comparitively regularly ..........27 in 107 games.  Now increasingly approaching his Sell By Date?   Still probably made a few quid out of it, but flattered to deceive, and is an average journeyman who never fullfilled early promise?    `One goal in 8 appearances at RSB.  Most definitely a nearly man?

14 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yep, from pretty much the day he walked through the door, with the exception of the L1 promotion season various managers were constantly trying to upgrade on him. Apart from Maenpaa he saw them all off.

I think he saw off Maenpaa too didn’t he?

Edited by Fordy62

59 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Gieffer absolute stank of a Mark Ashton agent brown envelope. The bloke was third choice at Schalke and hadn’t played a game in 2 years, so there’s no way he was scouted. 

Legend has it we found Marinovic on transfermarkt looking at OOC keepers

Simpler times. 

Allegedly not the only signing not scouted.  At least Giefer was only a loan.

• Like 1