IGNORED

The Great Pie Revolt

Jerseybean

The Great Pie Revolt looks like a winning stocking filler! Here’s a summary of the book…

Few things convey the identity of Britain's towns and cities more vocally than football and food, yet put them together and they become incompatible foes. Balti pies served out of tin trays and rubbery burgers that cost north of a tenner are typical of the over-the-counter fare that welcomes fans through the turnstile. But it doesn't have to be that way. As Britain embraces a craft revolution of locally made produce we, the travelled football fans, have the unique opportunity to experience the country in a way few others can. We can feast on cockles and mussels on the south-east coast, tuck into smack barm and pey wet in Lancashire and drink our way through an explosion of craft distillers and breweries all in the name of the club we love.

The Great Pie Revolt is the definitive guide to the cafes, market stalls, takeaways, microbrewers, pubs and bars that pride themselves on their locality. It is proof that when paired properly football and food are a match made in heaven, but both are in dire need of a spectator-driven revolt.

Publisher: Pitch Publishing Ltd

ISBN: 9781785316722

Number of pages: 304

• Like 5

The book has decent reviews….

Very well written and informative

Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 19 August 2021
Having been to many football grounds over the years, I know that the food and drink on offer is well below standard. Jack Peat understands this problem and gives solutions that I am eager to try. He names three places to eat and three places to drink for each club in the football pyramid. It is very well written and should be part of any football fan’s book collection

Excellent guide to the best food and drink sports across the football league - highly recommend!
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 31 August 2021
A really handy guide to the best food and drink spots across the football league. Who knew Barrow would be such a fun away day! I particularly enjoyed how each club had a story to tell. The Cambridge chapter made me laugh out loud on the journey down! Thoroughly recommended.

As City don't sell Clark's the best pie I ever had at a football ground was at Bury. Don't know the brand but it was a meat and potato pie to die for. 

Runner up has to be the hot pork pies I used to munch on at Bishop Auckland when I lived in Norton, Stockton-on-Tees. All the melting aspic jelly, wonderful. 

Blackwell's in Norton used to sell the most wonderful home made pies. Never got used to the northern thing about eating Steak and Kidney pies cold though. 

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

As City don't sell Clark's the best pie I ever had at a football ground was at Bury. Don't know the brand but it was a meat and potato pie to die for. 

Runner up has to be the hot pork pies I used to munch on at Bishop Auckland when I lived in Norton, Stockton-on-Tees. All the melting aspic jelly, wonderful. 

Blackwell's in Norton used to sell the most wonderful home made pies. Never got used to the northern thing about eating Steak and Kidney pies cold though. 

Chunk Pies and Pasties that they sold down the Gate a couple of years ago were fantastic. No veg in the chicken balti, sheep pie, venison pie. Pie of the month was a real event (football not being that great)

I remember eating meat pies cold when I was a kid. It was that layer of lard/fat left on your palate…:shocking:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Chunk Pies and Pasties that they sold down the Gate a couple of years ago were fantastic. No veg in the chicken balti, sheep pie, venison pie. Pie of the month was a real event (football not being that great)

I remember eating meat pies cold when I was a kid. It was that layer of lard/fat left on your palate…:shocking:

Yes, they were nice, as were their sausage rolls, although they’d repeat on you for 2 days after.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1