IGNORED

save your money for Germany in 2024 and USA in 2026 and say stuff you Qatar

Never to the dark side

Will definitely go and to be honest if you put aside all the rights and wrongs of them getting it it could be a good World Cup. What’s not to like about some winter sunshine and also little traveling so easy to a couple of game a day , also far enough away not to attract the stag party fans that tag along to close games in Europe. But unfortunately you will need deep pockets to do the whole tournament so will maybe do a couple of group games and see what happens. Regarding tickets if your a member of the travel club and have a few caps can’t see tickets being a issue and hopefully a bit cheaper ( paid £81 for my final ticket last summer ) 

tin hat on a ready to be shot down

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Last I looked there was no accomodation to be had ( not yet released by FIFA who own all rights,) though there were plans to have cruise liners parked up as temporary hotels. Not sure what's happened since.

I'm pretty sure I read some time ago that they (Qatar) were considering erecting (expensive, luxurious?) tented villages in the desert.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

On 20/01/2022 at 18:10, sticks 1969 said:

Will definitely go and to be honest if you put aside all the rights and wrongs of them getting it it could be a good World Cup. What’s not to like about some winter sunshine and also little traveling so easy to a couple of game a day , also far enough away not to attract the stag party fans that tag along to close games in Europe. But unfortunately you will need deep pockets to do the whole tournament so will maybe do a couple of group games and see what happens. Regarding tickets if your a member of the travel club and have a few caps can’t see tickets being a issue and hopefully a bit cheaper ( paid £81 for my final ticket last summer ) 

tin hat on a ready to be shot down

Take it you have never been to Qatar?

Horrid place

• Like 2

I haven't spoken to one single person that is positive about this. 

On so meny levels this should be boycotted .

It's a shame as for once i actually think we will do well (that's what kills you right) 

Racist, homophobic country that still uses slaves, yeah they can have it ?

How can players associate themselves with it, unbelievable hypocrisy. Can't take the knee turn a blind eye at the same time. 

I'll try not to watch but will be hard if we do well. I haven't seen England win anything in my time

• Like 1

How about boycotting showing it and not being part of it or is kneeling as much as the BBC can tolerate in support of racism/slavery issues.

I bet Linkers pockets will be a bit fatter after the tournament while he's spent the last few years banging on about racism/slavery issues, he's basically now profiting from racism and slavery just second/third hand.

Part of the article says 10,000 England followers will be heading to the middle East in November/december

I presume that all the English followers that make the trip will be able to see all the England games in person.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/fans-attending-england-games-in-qatar-face-death-penalty-if-certain-offence-is-committed/

Edited by Never to the dark side

As of yesterday and other than the Wales fixture there were plenty of tickets available for all England's matches (and potential matches.) Not much by way of accommodation, certainly little affordable, but loads of tickets.

I like Doha, but wouldn't bother with this disruptive,  commercial fiasco.

On 18/11/2021 at 06:52, The Batman said:

If they had anything about them, they'd have forfeited their selection as a matter of principle.

"ZeRo ToLeRaNcE tO rAcIsM aNd AlL fOrMs Of DiScRiMiNaTiOn" they keep telling us. About time they did something tangible with that. End of the day, they do this "protest" because a terrible murder happened 4000 miles away in Minneapolis that has no relevance to British football. Qatar is also 4000 miles away and has a direct relevance to football yet not a word from anyone bar some other countries wearing a few tshirts ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

What an odd surface level take on things.

Why would they? You can believe in something and not devote every decision in your life to it. I absolutely guarantee that you do the same in your life, as do we all. Life would be impossible otherwise. You're literally this meme:

We Should Improve Society Somewhat: Image Gallery (Sorted by Views) | Know  Your Meme

"ZeRo ToLeRaNcE tO rAcIsM aNd AlL fOrMs Of DiScRiMiNaTiOn" they keep telling us. About time they did something tangible with that. End of the day, they do this "protest" because a terrible murder happened 4000 miles away in Minneapolis that has no relevance to British football. Qatar is also 4000 miles away and has a direct relevance to football yet not a word from anyone bar some other countries wearing a few tshirts ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

You can't seriously think that distance should be the only or main measure of relevance for an issue - are there no other reasons you think events in a country like the USA might have more impact here than events in the middle east?

Not a world from anyone? It's been talked about continuously in our media for years now.

Practice what you preach and all that. People shouldn't be afraid to call out people's BS. I've done it to people from all walks of life, and it's about time the media started putting these guys under fire too. 

You want the media to put our national team under fire for playing in the world cup? Odd.

It sounds like you'd rather live somewhere where people didn't attempt to protest or improve society because if you ever stop, or don't abide by it 24/7/365 to some arbitrary standard they'll be publicly called out and shamed for not being virtuous enough.

Fundamentally though, you can absolutely believe in something and not devote your entire life to it, as I said. I suspect you're anti slavery yet have a smart phone with a chip made in some sweat shop in the far east in it, your oil comes from the middle east, our government sells arms to them we then profit from, your clothes come from there, we ship our waste there, and so on - our entire society is build on exploiting others.

You're a smart guy though so I suspect you knew all of that and have bought into the negativity around this particular gesture itself for some reason.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2

On 11/06/2022 at 07:19, IAmNick said:

What an odd surface level take on things.

Why would they? You can believe in something and not devote every decision in your life to it. I absolutely guarantee that you do the same in your life, as do we all. Life would be impossible otherwise. You're literally this meme:

We Should Improve Society Somewhat: Image Gallery (Sorted by Views) | Know  Your Meme

You can't seriously think that distance should be the only or main measure of relevance for an issue - are there no other reasons you think events in a country like the USA might have more impact here than events in the middle east?

Not a world from anyone? It's been talked about continuously in our media for years now.

You want the media to put our national team under fire for playing in the world cup? Odd.

It sounds like you'd rather live somewhere where people didn't attempt to protest or improve society because if you ever stop, or don't abide by it 24/7/365 to some arbitrary standard they'll be publicly called out and shamed for not being virtuous enough.

Fundamentally though, you can absolutely believe in something and not devote your entire life to it, as I said. I suspect you're anti slavery yet have a smart phone with a chip made in some sweat shop in the far east in it, your oil comes from the middle east, our government sells arms to them we then profit from, your clothes come from there, we ship our waste there, and so on - our entire society is build on exploiting others.

You're a smart guy though so I suspect you knew all of that and have bought into the negativity around this particular gesture itself for some reason.

Morning Nick. Been a while, hope you are well. 

I stand by it. Always will do. I could go over it detail by detail but busy day today and I'd simply be rehashing what I've put in numerous posts in numerous topics over time. I've discovered that posters on here don't like inconvenient truths and I've provided videos and links to the press releases and articles made at the time proving my points, and as time has gone on, it just makes my case stronger. You and others will disagree and that's perfectly fine. I enjoy the interaction on here as long as nobody gets abusive with personal attacks which I'd like to think we've all stayed within the boundaries of. 

The one time the media had the balls to ask Southgate about a Boycott, he said its complicated and then spoke about sainsburys. Nothing since. The media have obviously been told not to ask questions about it in briefings before. I avoided all the qualifiers and won't watch the tournament. I stand by what I say with tangible efforts. Some might think it's weird but why would I spend my whole time critisizing the tournament and then watch it? Not for me. As its on at Christmas, I'll just watch a load of Christmas films while the games are on.

People can do what they wish but if they preach one set of ideals but go against them for their own life then I will call it out. At the moment, anything other than a Boycott of Qatar will be meaningless in my view. If they stuck with just the support of the black lives matter movement then I wouldn't be able to critisice the Qatar World Cup to them because its whataboutery. But its not anymore, even though some say it never was in the first place (I kept the receipts so if I need to get the links and videos back from the time then I can do).  I could use other numerous examples but as I said, busy day. Enjoy your Sunday all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, The Batman said:

Hope you're well too mate.

What I think is slightly dangerous is this policing of action/"virtue" of the people trying to do something.

We end up in a situation where the only option is to do nothing at all, because nobody can live by all aspects of these things perfectly because they're so ingrained in our society - and that's exactly what conservative (with a small c)/traditionalist people who stir this up want.

It's intentional on their part and happens everywhere. Climate change is another great example where the same thing happens, as is gender equality... And it's the same crowd under the hood who spread it in almost all cases (not you by the way, I'm talking about those who preach those ways of thinking to an audience). They don't want change, so they disparage anyone who does anything.

It's better to do something than nothing, no matter how small. None of us can change the world... but nothing will ever change otherwise!

I'll probably watch the WC, but only via some "unofficial" online stream.

Southgate got more things to worry about than actual equality outside his little virtue signalling comfort zone.

Don't worry about the human rights of people in Qatar, or the people (slaves) who built and died for the Stadiums that he will happily turn up and play in, but at least he made a very important comment on the term "WAGS" being disrespectful. Sums up these types of people perfectly. Tackle the hard issues.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2022 at 11:20, exAtyeoMax said:

According to The Price of Football podcast, it apparently will cost an England fan over £7000 to watch every game in Qatar. The main problem being the price of accommodation. They are considering using cruise ships.

I won’t be going anyway.

Accommodation is the big hitter as tickets prices for the group games are quite reasonable 

england v wales cost me just under £60 but still got to get there and find a place to stay 

• Like 1

Even without the slavery, deaths building stadia, institutionalised 19th century social views and apartheid like conditions this World Cup would be a farce. Won by virtue of bribery and endemic corruption in FIFA, taking place in a country with zero capability, history or interest in football outside sport washing their image. 

**** Qatar and **** this World Cup. Tragic that Australia lost out to this embarrassing bid. 

Hoping for a major doping or bribery scandal to take place to cap this shit show off.

Edited by Chairman Mao
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Accommodation is the big hitter as tickets prices for the group games are quite reasonable 

england v wales cost me just under £60 but still got to get there and find a place to stay 

For flights take a look at Qatar Airways from Sofia, Bucharest or Belgrade, which seem to be coming up as some of the cheaper options from what I've found. You can get from London to Sofia or Bucharest one-way for under £50 on various dates in the second half of November (Belgrade is slightly trickier). You might need to spend a night there on the way out, but it should save quite a bit compared to flying direct from the UK to Doha.

If you don't mind an even more circuitous route, London > Istanbul > Beirut > Doha was (I think) the cheapest I've found so far.

Accommodation is a challenge, especially when you factor in the minimum stay requirements. There was decent availability when I last checked but some of the options were eye-wateringly expensive, especially if travelling solo. 

• Thanks 1