IGNORED

Ranking City Managers

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He was really bad, remember the Anglo Italian game at AG he got sent off, plus the avalanche of goals we let in whenever he & Mitchell played.

Awful players.

There was a guy in Dolman Block B who must've had the loudest voice in Bristol.

I can remember during one particularly poor display he boomed out "Mitchell, you're a cabbage!" so loud that it echoed around the Gate and caused a few smiles on the pitch.

1 hour ago, CheddarReds said:

How is Cotts only a 7/10 ?!?!

Just trying to talk about balance, while 14/15 was incredible we had a squad that should have won that division but in addition to winning it the football was great. However this is probably balanced out by Cotts then more than likely getting us relegated before he was sacked. 14/15 was a 10/10, how much do you take of for 15/16?

All a game of opinions

• Like 1

I was more surprised at the use of the word 'fickle'. Do they even know what it means? To have stuck it through so much dross is the very opposite of 'fickle'!

As for being careful what you wish for...on the basis of those ratings it was perfectly legitimate to have wished for better at many points in the past 40 years!

We've had some decent managers, Terry Cooper, Joe Jordan, Denis Smith, John Ward, Danny Wilson, GJ, Cotts. The problem has been that with the exception of the Cooper-Jordan handover almost every successful manager has been followed by an appointment that's undone much of the good work. We're living through just such a period now. 

Our fan base has been far from 'fickle'!

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

There was a guy in Dolman Block B who must've had the loudest voice in Bristol.

I can remember during one particularly poor display he boomed out "Mitchell, you're a cabbage!" so loud that it echoed around the Gate and caused a few smiles on the pitch.

I’ll never forget the infamous 4-3 win at Derby, when Mitchell was supposedly “marking” Paul Simpson, our recently departed coach & in his day a very decent left winger.

Prior to Steve Sutton having a brain fart & wrestling Shelts to the ground for not only a penalty but also a clear red card, we were 3-1 down & Simpson had scored all 3 of them.

For some of that time Mitchell didn’t even appear to be in Derbyshire, let alone in Simpson’s vicinity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know others have already posted this but it's worth saying again, to rate John Ward as a 2 and describe him as another awful appointment must be some sort of joke surely?

Ward took over a misfiring team from Super Joe and took us into the play offs in his first season here and then promotion in the second. We would have won the title had the club managed to hold on to Shaun Goater. 

In 98-99 he had some rotten luck and several injuries plus as things were starting to turn around, he never got the help he was after so walked away.

Ward is definitely not a 2/10.

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I know others have already posted this but it's worth saying again, to rate John Ward as a 2 and describe him as another awful appointment must be some sort of joke surely?

Ward took over a misfiring team from Super Joe and took us into the play offs in his first season here and then promotion in the second. We would have won the title had the club managed to hold on to Shaun Goater. 

In 98-99 he had some rotten luck and several injuries plus as things were starting to turn around, he never got the help he was after so walked away.

Ward is definitely not a 2/10.

I've not seen this list of ratings, but to be honest, if Wardy only get a 2/10, it's obviously a wind-up or written by a total fool.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomF said:

Slightly incorrect - 2-0 down (2 goals in 2 mins) followed by Sutton's madness just before half time. We were getting absolutely battered up to that point.  Bent had one chalked offside for one of the worst offsides ever (I think..) before he finally got one, The two more goals in two minutes to make it 3-3 before the Chief headed home the winner from a corner.  Some god awful commentary that day:

This game was live on ITV wasn't it?

3 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

But for me as a fan I enjoyed the Danny Wilson years, football was entertaining, some legendary City players in that era too, great times even if we never got over that playoff finish line.

For what it’s worth, my top 5 managers since supporting city from 1990 are:

1) GJ

2) Joe Jordan

3) SC

4) John Ward

5) Danny Wilson

Worst 5 managers:

1) Steve Coppell

2) Tony Pulis

3) Big Fat Benny

4) Tinnion (sorry Brian!)

5) SOD (the football was awful but he did lay some ground work for SC)

Crazy that Pulis and Coppell were successful at the top level elsewhere but couldn’t do it here.

Never fails to amaze me how City fans can rate Danny Wilson so highly.  Four years with a very strong squad and he failed to get us promotion.  Appalling.

Perhaps judgement on Pearson should be reserved, but as things stand then he must rate in the bottom three.

• Like 1

FWIW 

Wilson 6 good football, achieved nothing

Tinnion 5 City through and through, unlucky Tins

Johnson 9 what's there to complain about promotion, 4th, 10th, 10th

Coppell 1 Weirdo

Millen 6 Underrated, 15th with that squad was fine.

Mciness 5 had potential, didn't deliver.

SOD 4 not a city man in that he didn't understand us but laid the groundwork.

Cotterell 8 Great manager, tainted by poor start to the Champ, shouldn't have been sacked

Johnson 7 Unbelievable memories of 2017/18, 2nd highest place finish in what 40 odd years. Spent a bit. Think some of his bad points can be attributed to Ashton

Holden 5 Not for me , not terrible but we were on a terrible spiral

Pearson 5 done nothing yet, history will tell, don't want him out but all to do

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Tin hat time (and I am no fan) but statistically LJ is amongst our top 5 managers of all time, possibly top 3, bearing in mind all his games were in the 2nd tier of English football. His win rate puts him comfortably in the top 6. His final league positions would put him in 3rd or 4th.

Bristol City - Clubs - Manager Stats

Edited by Sir Geoff
Extra text
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, 054123 said:

Here’s something I found on Twitter.

Just a fun discussion in the absence of anything city related going on (well ‘legally’ of course!).

Didn't John ward get us promoted from level 3 to level 2..? Then failed to be good enough for level 2...?

Remeniscent of Steve Cotteril yet one was "an awful appointment" and the other was highlighted as one of our best...? 

Also, all the other comparisons above show how way off the mark this post was in do many ways, about so many managers. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

FWIW 

Coppell 1 Weirdo

Cotterell 8 Great manager, tainted by poor start to the Champ, shouldn't have been sacked

Johnson 7 Unbelievable memories of 2017/18, 2nd highest place finish in what 40 odd years. Spent a bit. Think some of his bad points can be attributed to Ashton

Pretty good assesment .

10 minutes ago, gary s said:

I have been watching city since the 70's as I recall not one of our managers has been approached by another club, all have been sacked !!!!!

I was about to agree with you…. But then…. My memory is messing with me but didn’t Pulis go to Portsmouth and not actually get sacked? 
regardless - your point stands, I don’t even remember any rumours. For all the chat about LJ no one ever came in for him. 

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

FWIW 

Coppell 1 Weirdo

Agree with all the comments. I’d knock Pearson down to 4. Big job and illness but still the record is shocking. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YorksRed said:

Harsh on Denis Smith.  Not harsh enough on Osman and Pullis.  

Terry Cooper the top of the list for me.   As well as everything he did for the club, his team played good football too.

Osman did have no money to spend and we did beat Liverpool under him so does need to be put in context 

Edited by East Londoner
Can’t spell

1 hour ago, gary s said:

I have been watching city since the 70's as I recall not one of our managers has been approached by another club, all have been sacked !!!!!

1 hour ago, Mendip City said:

I was about to agree with you…. But then…. My memory is messing with me but didn’t Pulis go to Portsmouth and not actually get sacked? 
regardless - your point stands, I don’t even remember any rumours. For all the chat about LJ no one ever came in for him. 

Yes, for some unfathomable reason, Portsmouth took Pulis and also Joe Jordan got tempted away by Hearts during his first spell. 

Otherwise, its a good point and a poor record.