IGNORED

Ranking City Managers

19 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Never fails to amaze me how City fans can rate Danny Wilson so highly.  Four years with a very strong squad and he failed to get us promotion.  Appalling.

Perhaps judgement on Pearson should be reserved, but as things stand then he must rate in the bottom three.

I appreciate he didn’t get us promote, as mentioned in my post, but I enjoyed the football we played in his time at the club.  I’d rather we played great football and miss out than crap football and miss out!

NP is easily on course for one of the worst managers we’ve had in 30 years, but I hope he’s as good as I think he is and will turn it around but it’s not going to be easy!

13 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

Tweeted with the original poster of the ratings list on twitter to tell him his opinion of Ward was way off base. His response was that he didn't see any of the 97/98 season because it was around the time his first child was born. 

He's only based his opinions on what he's seen. 

What a ridiculous response! Just don’t give him a score if that’s the reason, not a 2 and then also comment ‘another awful appointment’.  Even if he didn’t go I assume he was aware we got promoted which is quite rare in the last 30 years!  

• Like 3

1st equal.

AD For taking us to the top tier of English football and keeping us there for four years.

Terry Cooper for rescuing us from near oblivion and doing it with entertaining and exciting football.

2nd equal.

Pat Beasley and Steve Cotterill for winning a league championship in a style of football that City fans appreciate.

3rd equal.

Fred Ford, Joe Jordan, John Ward (*) Garry Johnson for gaining promotion from Division 3.

(*) detested Ward because I never once heard him refer to us as anything other than "This football club".

The rest of them do not count IMO. Most of them were not supported financially by the board / owners. Bottom of the list is Danny Wilson who was well funded, proved elsewhere to be good enough to get us out of Division 3, but allowed the players to be a load of alcoholics, thereby wasting all the support he had from the board.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The rest of them do not count IMO. Most of them were not supported financially by the board / owners. Bottom of the list is Danny Wilson who was well funded, proved elsewhere to be good enough to get us out of Division 3, but allowed the players to be a load of alcoholics, thereby wasting all the support he had from the board.

Absolutely spot on mate.

It's also worth remembering that, while the football was entertaining under Danny Wilson, he had us top six once and top of the table twice at Christmas before falling away on each occasion. That's the biggest disappointment of his time in charge. 

(Well, that and not having Lita on the bench in the playoff final)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Crikey just goes to show how different opinions are. NP may work out but he’d only be a 2 or 3 for me. Football is a results game and I would without question have expected better. I genuinely don’t understand the support he gets from the fans but we’ve all got different opinions and I presume fellow fans are seeing something I’m not. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

1st equal.

AD For taking us to the top tier of English football and keeping us there for four years.

Terry Cooper for rescuing us from near oblivion and doing it with entertaining and exciting football.

2nd equal.

Pat Beasley and Steve Cotterill for winning a league championship in a style of football that City fans appreciate.

3rd equal.

Fred Ford, Joe Jordan, John Ward (*) Garry Johnson for gaining promotion from Division 3.

(*) detested Ward because I never once heard him refer to us as anything other than "This football club".

Any relation to Joe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich_s said:

Crikey just goes to show how different opinions are. NP may work out but he’d only be a 2 or 3 for me. Football is a results game and I would without question have expected better. I genuinely don’t understand the support he gets from the fans but we’ve all got different opinions and I presume fellow fans are seeing something I’m not. 

It’s amazing when you compare Joey Barton’s record at Rovers compared to NP’s at City.  I think they took the jobs about the same time, Barton took on much more of a basket case IMO with arguably one of their worst squads ever, and he seems to, against all odds, have started to get a tune out of them (albeit in League 2), whereas NP is way more experienced and to date has a worse record than Joey Barton, and there’s no way anyone can tell me we were in a worse state than Rovers.  I hope NP turns it around but he should have some idea by now of what to do surely, and if not will he ever?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

1st equal.

2nd equal.

3rd equal.

Johnson over Cotterill all day imo

37 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

My love for Cotts will come as no surprise but irrespective of what league you’re in, I suspect that turning up on a Saturday wondering how many you’re going to win by is a once in a lifetime thing for a Bristol City supporter. 

Certainly our record points haul, but we've had long unbeaten stretches under other managers.

Even Lee managed nine wins on the trot in 18/19 and one loss in 13 games in 17/18.  Seems like halcyon days compared to now...

5 hours ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Johnson over Cotterill all day imo

I loved Cotts but me too.

GJ got us to the verge of the Prem, no one else has done that since AD & that was in the mid 70s.

His finishes in the Championship were 4th, 10th, 10th, we have only matched his worst finish once since.

• Like 3

On 12/11/2021 at 13:50, 1960maaan said:

Question , how have you marked him down? The only possible mark against him can be that he was with the Squatters for a spell. Even then he was so bad for them he was cheering City fans up.

I can only assume either

1). You drank a hell of a lot during his time.

2). You were very young and couldn't see over the fence to watch properly.

3). He has incriminating photos of you.

?

Things I remember from his time.
That away match at WHU where he must have banned us from playing in their half.
That we went into most games hoping for a 0-0.
That he was the only City player I've known who the crowd shouted off, off, off, when he was getting a booking.
That he was the only player who when they realised it was him who scored, stopped cheering.
Hated him time in charge.

I’m pretty sure the off, off , off, chants were home to millwall on a Tuesday night game, atmosphere was proper nasty that night.

46 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I loved Cotts but me too.

GJ got us to the verge of the Prem, no one else has done that since AD & that was in the mid 70s.

His finishes in the Championship were 4th, 10th, 10th, we have only matched his worst finish once since.

Probably the last times I can remember where you fancied city over every team coming to ashton gate.

This thread has been replicated on another forum. These are my thoughts:

This is really difficult because for me there is only one stand-out winner and that is Alan Dicks.
The others have had successes too but limited to a specific level and within different budgets.
I’m also restricted to choosing from living memory!!!
I suppose mine would be:

Best:
1.Alan Dicks - legend

the rest (in no particular order):
2. Terry Cooper - for keeping us in the league all those years ago
3. Gary Johnson - successive promotions and 90 minutes from realising the dream
4. Lee Johnson - for giving us that memorable cup run, plus the longest period in the second tier since the great AD - despite having his best and most influential players sold from under him time and again.
5. Pemberton - for instantly stopping the disastrous plummet under Cotts before LJ took over.

Worst: (crikey there are so many to choose from!!)
1. Benny
2. Tinnion
3. Coppell
4. SOD
5. McInnes

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
add words