IGNORED

Robbie Savage/Macclesfield Documentary

One Team

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Fair play to the manager though as he looks to of found a winning formula. Initially I thought he was a wet lettuce - especially when he took no umbrage to Savage going overboard in their second game. 

Can understand why the media have given a bit of stick to Savage but on the other hand take my hat off to him and the main investor. 

I do enjoy these documentaries. Proper football. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Leveller said:

Robbie Savage is far from my favourite pundit (very far) but this warts and all portrayal has shown him in a good light overall. Fair play.

that bit where he goes into the crowd was brave and then thanking the officials was decent, thought he was a knob before but seems to be alright in this

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I wasn’t going to watch it as find Savage insufferable but guess will have to watch it through gritted eyes if so many are recommending 

I won’t be watching as I simply cannot stand him, talentless massive self publicist.

Why does everything like this have to have some “celebrity” involvement these days?

There will be people who have supported Bury & Macclesfield for years but this insufferable **** has to get his face on TV again & get involved.

He’s a ******* Wrexham fan anyway, but of course “Hollywood” got to them first..

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I won’t be watching as I simply cannot stand him, talentless massive self publicist.

Why does everything like this have to have some “celebrity” involvement these days?

There will be people who have supported Bury & Macclesfield for years but this insufferable **** has to get his face on TV again & get involved.

He’s a ******* Wrexham fan anyway, but of course “Hollywood” got to them first..

I agree, why no documentary on Bury, Hereford, Aldershot etc. why are Macclesfield so special they get there own documentary. Because he’s a BBC pundit he gets special treatment. 

I know that Macclesfield are not liked at all in the league system, signing other teams best players and then not playing them. There squad is stupidly large and if they carry on as they are they will not have many friends in the league system just the media and that will hurt them as they climb the pyramid. Also got special treatment by being put up a level higher than Bury because of who runs them and the publicity.  Not fair on other teams at that level and the league is being run with an odd number to shoehorn them in.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Sadly this is the way it always is, the story has to have fame or glamour attached or they won’t bother making it.

And the truth is the project would be a hard sell and far fewer viewers without Savage. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I suggest you watch it.

I couldn’t stand Savage either but this does show another side of him; and what makes it brilliant is that it’s far from just about him. 

Yes, it’s probably true that the documentary wouldn’t be made without him but it is a good insight into the recovery of a small football club with a long history.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

There was a documentary on Salford, wasn't there. 

Another non league club taken over and invested in, with celebrity backing. 

It's nothing to do with Savage. Or Macclesfield - it's just a marketable story. 

I've never liked Savage myself either - but talentless is a bit harsh, for someone who's played hundreds of top flight games and been made captain by 4 Premier league clubs. 

You sound a bit jealous actually..! 

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

There was a documentary on Salford, wasn't there. 

Another non league club taken over and invested in, with celebrity backing. 

It's nothing to do with Savage. Or Macclesfield - it's just a marketable story. 

I've never liked Savage myself either - but talentless is a bit harsh, for someone who's played hundreds of top flight games and been made captain by 4 Premier league clubs. 

You sound a bit jealous actually..! 

I was referring to his post football media career, (Strictly, etc) he’s a complete moron who can barely string a sentence together. When he commentated on Wales at the Euros it was unbearable (he actually shouted “kick him” at one point when the opposition were attacking) it was just like listening to someone with Tourette’s..

As for his football career he was certainly very good at stopping people who could actually play, so obviously he had talent there.

• Like 1

Just watched it and really enjoyed it.

I can echo some of the comments about Savage but actually he came across quite passionately about it and why not. By the end I didn't mind him. Although, yeah as others have said, it was interesting to see where he crossed the DoF/ Manager line by getting involved from the side of the pitch. 

You only get a small glimpse of the blood, sweat and tears to get that club back up and running from scratch but what a different it made to the community. 

Definately recommend it.

And Jimbo - SL get your cheque book out. ?

10 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I agree, why no documentary on Bury, Hereford, Aldershot etc. why are Macclesfield so special they get there own documentary. Because he’s a BBC pundit he gets special treatment. 

I know that Macclesfield are not liked at all in the league system, signing other teams best players and then not playing them. There squad is stupidly large and if they carry on as they are they will not have many friends in the league system just the media and that will hurt them as they climb the pyramid. Also got special treatment by being put up a level higher than Bury because of who runs them and the publicity.  Not fair on other teams at that level and the league is being run with an odd number to shoehorn them in.

Just worth pointing this one off doc too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08sw2w0

Back to Macclesfield though. Really enjoyed it. And as a stadium enthusiast, the wider stadium redevelopment looked really fantastic for a club at that level. No doubt they'll be hoping to be back in the EFL sooner rather than later. Good luck to them.

As with the majority of comments, this is well worth watching. Never been a fan of Savage, but he got involved in the changing room (as the manager had asked) and on the terracing, as he knew there could be repercussions. Didn’t see or hear anything about his involvement with Macclesfield prior to this, so possibly didn’t court the publicity? 

Just looked at their current league position and saw Neil Danns is now with the club and scoring regularly!

13 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I was referring to his post football media career, (Strictly, etc) he’s a complete moron who can barely string a sentence together. When he commentated on Wales at the Euros it was unbearable (he actually shouted “kick him” at one point when the opposition were attacking) it was just like listening to someone with Tourette’s..

As for his football career he was certainly very good at stopping people who could actually play, so obviously he had talent there.

I've never liked the bloke myself either, although always regarded him as someone you hate on the other team - but would like to have in yours. 

I agree, I don't think he's any good as a pundit and tries to hard to be another Roy Keane type. 

The programme was interesting though, for anyone who supports a lower league club. 

Did he get involved for the publicity..? Maybe not initially, but will milk it once it's picked up on (of course he may have only got involved once the programme was touted) 

It's an interesting watch though and I hope the guys who's invested his millions and is a genuine local lad done good, sees some success from his investment in resurrecting the club. 

On 14/11/2021 at 09:06, GrahamC said:

He was a player who made the most of his talents, although he had his limitations. "Talentless"? Absolutely not. We could do with that sort of bite just now.

I've got a soft spot for Macc, so might give it a watch.

Edited by SecretSam
  • Like 1