IGNORED

Shoot League Ladders

Waconda

Just now, Vespa Red said:

I used to really look forward to these coming out every year!  They were great - a simple concept but a brilliant free "gift" when you're 10.

I also used to combine these with my game of Wembley that I loved just as much.

Happy days!

I also had the Wembley game.

7 hours ago, VT05763 said:

League Ladders 2021-22 image 1

Just bought these for my 8 year old, plays games with a dice and has promotion/relegation. Already obsessed.

I had the originals in the 70s and 80s.

League Ladders 2021-22 | Etsy

I used to do a game like that all time never met anyone else that has. That's great. Was it common did others here do it? 

Sad, but when I was a young lad I wrote out all the teams names on pieces of paper put all 92 into a hat drew them out and rolled 2 dice to decide each tie and went from there all the way to an imaginary FA Cup Final.

Wonder what kids get up to behind their bedroom doors these days ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rebounder said:

I used to do a game like that all time never met anyone else that has. That's great. Was it common did others here do it? 

My brothers and I did World Cups, All the European Leagues, All the English Leagues all with 4 dice - if teams were evenly matched home team rolled 4 dice first half and second half and away team rolled 3 dice - each 6 was a goal, roll 4 "1"s or 3 "1"s then it was an own goal. League below you had either one extra roll home or away first or second half - more than one league (or ranking whatever) you could have 2 or 3 rolls v just 1 of the the weaker team - literally filled tonnes of full scap books with these leagues and tournaments and LOADS of arguments about "cheat" rolls :laugh:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rebounder said:

My dad used to make a spreadsheet with all the teams alphabetical down the left and across the top. Left column was home team, top row was away team and would roll a dice for each score then play out a season and see where each team ended up

Used to be obsessed with that as a kid, again as someone else said probably not particularly interesting but a lovely personal memory

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VT05763 said:

I think I remember Workington messing this up around 76 or 77.  

A Northerner pointed out to me that Gateshead, Accrington, Southport, Barrow and then Workington failed to win re-election to the League. Four of the five new teams were from the South, P'boro' Cambridge, Hereford& Wimbledon. 

He was convinced  of a conspiracy theory and argued that if a Northern team drops out, they should be replaced by a Northern team.

1 minute ago, 22A said:

A Northerner pointed out to me that Gateshead, Accrington, Southport, Barrow and then Workington failed to win re-election to the League. Four of the five new teams were from the South, P'boro' Cambridge, Hereford& Wimbledon. 

He was convinced  of a conspiracy theory and argued that if a Northern team drops out, they should be replaced by a Northern team.

Didn't Bath City miss out by 1 vote once ?

4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Sad, but when I was a young lad I wrote out all the teams names on pieces of paper put all 92 into a hat drew them out and rolled 2 dice to decide each tie and went from there all the way to an imaginary FA Cup Final.

Wonder what kids get up to behind their bedroom doors these days ?

I did similar as a kid before I got my first computer at about 11 or 12.

Same with paper cricket.  I had the proper hexagonal roller (Howzat) but used a two dice combo, where you scored runs for the total, but only if the red dice was >= to the blue dice, otherwise a dot ball.

From memory it was

2 - 4 (but I’d roll the howzat dice and if it was a 6, then they scored 6….rare in test matches in those days)

3 - 2

4 - 1

5 - 2

6 - 1

7 - 1

8 - 0

9 - 2

10 - 1

11 - appeal - roll the howzat dice

12 - 3

I’d keep a proper scorebook, ball-by-ball and even times, 3 mins for a spinner, 4 for a medium pacer, 5 for the quicks.  The whole thing seemed to score quite like a test match of the early 80s, none of this 300-400 in a day!  I’d do a whole test series, and follow each series.

10 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Didn't Bath City miss out by 1 vote once ?

Them and Yeovil were very close to getting ejected at one point, Weymouth too (might’ve been when Spurs took Graham Roberts and keeper Guthrie off of them).  The old Gola Alliance League!!!

1 hour ago, 22A said:

And their point is? ?

In slight seriousness, there is a big imbalance of Lancs / York’s teams compared to Devon for example. The latter have a big job convincing players to up sticks completely rather than move to a nearby narthern town. Used to be a problem for teams as far ‘north’ as City.

Edited by steveybadger

19 hours ago, Rebounder said:

Me too.

I also had a compact game played on a plastic film pitch with a metal rolling dice.

Used the dice for my cup games.

I also had a game with a metal pitch and levers at both ends which were connected to players situated in little dips in the pitch, which allowed the ball, ( ball bearing) to reach the player who could then launch it) . 
Spent hours playing that , on my own mostly. 

85F771A9-5D5C-4573-8880-15F0166443B6.jpeg

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Me too.

I also had a compact game played on a plastic film pitch with a metal rolling dice.

I also had a game with a metal pitch and levers at both ends which were connected to players situated in little dips in the pitch, which allowed the ball, ( ball bearing) to reach the player who could then launch it) . 

Zonal marking. Years ahead of its time.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Me too.

I had an ice hockey game very similar to this.