Jump to content
IGNORED

Qatar 2022 boycott


Colombo Robin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Morning all! 

Had an interesting chat with some mates last night about a potential fan led boycott of Qatar 2022. Writing this really just to gauge people’s opinions and to see if there would ever be sufficient support for it to be a realistic option.  

The horrific human right abuses of workers getting the stadiums ready in time for the tournament are well documented and in many cases amounted to modern day slavery. Many lost their lives.   

Could we collectively say enough is enough and ask the question to what depths is society willing to sink in order to promote the game we all love? These questions won’t be asked loudly at the top with so much money involved. What a huge statement it would make if broadcasters and sponsors were boycotted during the games. Something that could potentially trigger similar movements in areas other than football where corruption and human right abuses are rife.  

I’d imagine for most, not watching England in a major tournament is unthinkable. Would an option be for one match to be boycotted? Something everyone could get on board with to send a strong message. Or at the very least show the families of those who died building the stadiums that there are people on the other side of the world who give a shit.   

Like I said this isn’t a call to arms. Just a way of gaging opinion. If it is generally positive there’s no reason other forums can’t be contacted to see if something meaningful can be put together. With OTIB leading the way!   

Have a good football less weekend. We all needed a break! 

Rhinestone Wurzel  

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Gakoe said:

What's needed is a players boycott. They could make a stand against inequality.  For real. 

I agree but don’t think it’ll happen.

I think we forget that a good number of countries think corruption is just a way of life, they think the likes of us and Germany kicking up a fuss is just mad.

And yes, I’m aware it feels very much like this country is going down the same route at times but that’s for another thread. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Gakoe said:

What's needed is a players boycott. They could make a stand against inequality.  For real. 

FIFA have made clear that any players that boycott will be banned from the next World Cup too. That would mean a 22 year old player whose first World Cup would have been next year would be 30 by the time they get to play in one, and form and injury could mean that chance never comes.

Which isn’t to say I disagree with you - I would like to see players boycott the World Cup - but i also do get it is an enormous sacrifice for any player to make and I do get why players would find it hard to do it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Gakoe said:

What's needed is a players boycott. They could make a stand against inequality.  For real. 

Why does it have to come from the players? Agreed it would help massively but if enough fans just don't put the telly on. Seems a bit of a cop out to say....well if the players arent making a stand i'll tune in for the games

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I agree but don’t think it’ll happen.

I think we forget that a good number of countries think corruption is just a way of life, they think the likes of us and Germany kicking up a fuss is just mad.

And yes, I’m aware it feels very much like this country is going down the same route at times but that’s for another thread. 

 

This also just feels like a cop out. Loads of other countries are corrupt so lets just forget about it and watch the games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Colombo Robin said:

Why does it have to come from the players? Agreed it would help massively but if enough fans just don't put the telly on. Seems a bit of a cop out to say....well if the players arent making a stand i'll tune in for the games

I think, if we’re talking about players, the question for me is not about individual players but where the leadership from FIFPro comes on this.

Interestingly the Dutch football association have a statement on their website about why they are not boycotting.

it is worth reading for a different perspective on it:

https://www.knvb.com/info/1151/knvb-and-world-cup-qatar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think, if we’re talking about players, the question for me is not about individual players but where the leadership from FIFPro comes on this.

Interestingly the Dutch football association have a statement on their website about why they are not boycotting.

it is worth reading for a different perspective on it:

https://www.knvb.com/info/1151/knvb-and-world-cup-qatar

That's interesting and makes sense.

I can't help but think that some kind of mass boycott of the sponsors would be the way to go, thereby not harming any player's career and only really hitting FIFA if a big enough fuss was made and sponsors started to pull out. Certain people would obviously be against this though as it would be similar to boycotts of a TV channel that have been loudly protested against.

Edited by richwwtk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Gakoe said:

What's needed is a players boycott. They could make a stand against inequality.  For real. 

Exactly this!  

Taking the knee is just a gesture, they have the power here to do something really significant in the fight against equality with this corrupt World Cup.

I won’t be holding my breath.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

Exactly this!  

Taking the knee is just a gesture, they have the power here to do something really significant in the fight against equality with this corrupt World Cup.

I won’t be holding my breath.

The trouble with a player's boycott is you would be asking them to destroy their career for the sake of a protest. They would be banned before you know it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

The trouble with a player's boycott is you would be asking them to destroy their career for the sake of a protest. They would be banned before you know it.

Not so sure these days …… all the power is with the players now and if they were together on it, they couldn’t all be banned.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

The trouble with a player's boycott is you would be asking them to destroy their career for the sake of a protest. They would be banned before you know it.

The irony to @BrizzleRed’s post being the first sportsman to take a knee did so at the expense of his own career. Apparently someone destroying their career for the sake of a protest still isn’t enough to stop their actions being dismissed as a gesture. 
 

I am willing to lay money on the fact that, if players did boycott Qatar, they would be accused of gesture politics and asked why they were only boycotting Qatar and not protesting other global injustices too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Not so sure these days …… all the power is with the players now and if they were together on it, they couldn’t all be banned.

Like you say, it would take all of them, or a large porportion of them to do it. Would be wonderful to see but I think the risk might be a little too much to ask the players to take.

There are some players, Marcus Rashford for example, that you could see doing it, but it would barely cause a ripple unless it was the really big names.

Edited by richwwtk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Not so sure these days …… all the power is with the players now and if they were together on it, they couldn’t all be banned.

If you are talking about all players together you are talking about FIFPro, in which case the point about taking the knee is irrelevant as - if memory serves - it has never been a FIFPro initiative.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not a fan of collective movements - as an individual you make your own decisions.

Mine is that I will boycott watching the whole thing, if others want to do the same then so be it that is there choice.

If the England players were to win this world cup they would be winning a competition that has cost the lives of thousands of people - not sure that's a competition I would be proud of winning.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

I'm not a fan of collective movements - as an individual you make your own decisions.

Mine is that I will boycott watching the whole thing, if others want to do the same then so be it that is there choice.

If the England players were to win this world cup they would be winning a competition that has cost the lives of thousands of people - not sure that's a competition I would be proud of winning.

An admirable stance, but it would need a collective movement to make a difference, your individual decision in that case comes with whether to join in or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

I believe Johann Cruyff boycotted Argentina 78 as he wanted to highlight human rights abuses by the Junta in charge. I wonder if there are any candidates now that would do the same. They’d have to be very high profile.

According to Cruyff, he stayed away as he was receiving death threats and there had been kidnap attempts on his family.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/apr/17/newsstory.sport

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

FIFA have made clear that any players that boycott will be banned from the next World Cup too. That would mean a 22 year old player whose first World Cup would have been next year would be 30 by the time they get to play in one, and form and injury could mean that chance never comes.

Which isn’t to say I disagree with you - I would like to see players boycott the World Cup - but i also do get it is an enormous sacrifice for any player to make and I do get why players would find it hard to do it. 

FIFA can make clear whatever they want but if there was a significant boycott any ban for future tournaments would never be enforced - too much money involved for FIFA having the next WC without the ‘big’ players.

Of course, none of this will happen as I doubt any player, if selected, will refuse to play next year

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I'm not a fan of collective movements - as an individual you make your own decisions.

Mine is that I will boycott watching the whole thing, if others want to do the same then so be it that is there choice.

If the England players were to win this world cup they would be winning a competition that has cost the lives of thousands of people - not sure that's a competition I would be proud of winning.

That’s absolutely fair enough and I plan to boycott it too. However, whilst you and I just won’t be watching a tournament on television, any player who makes an individual decision to boycott will be banned from the 2026 tournament and - if their country’s FA or national manager is not sympathetic to their reasoning - may find their best international career is over. 
 

You could say players should take a principled stance and do it anyway - and fair enough if so - but the bottom line is yours or my sacrifice in not watching is in no way comparable to their sacrifice in damaging their own careers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

FIFA can make clear whatever they want but if there was a significant boycott any ban for future tournaments would never be enforced - too much money involved for FIFA having the next WC without the ‘big’ players.

Of course, none of this will happen as I doubt any player, if selected, will refuse to play next year

This is it. A significant boycott could have a huge impact. But any player or nation that boycotts alone will not achieve it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

I believe Johann Cruyff boycotted Argentina 78 as he wanted to highlight human rights abuses by the Junta in charge. I wonder if there are any candidates now that would do the same. They’d have to be very high profile.

 

I thought that interesting as I hadn't heard that; it wasn't the reason per wiki.

 

After finishing third in UEFA Euro 1976, Cruyff refused to play in the 1978 World Cup after a kidnapping attempt targeting him and his family in their Barcelona home dissuaded him from football.[

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The irony to @BrizzleRed’s post being the first sportsman to take a knee did so at the expense of his own career. Apparently someone destroying their career for the sake of a protest still isn’t enough to stop their actions being dismissed as a gesture. 
 

I am willing to lay money on the fact that, if players did boycott Qatar, they would be accused of gesture politics and asked why they were only boycotting Qatar and not protesting other global injustices too.

There’s a big difference between gestures and actually doing something really significant and I can’t see how that accusation could be used for Qatar.  This particular World Cup stinks and shows how bent FIFA really are.

It’s one thing toppling statues of someone from a couple of centuries ago, but what better opportunity has there been to take a high profile stand against slavery that still exists today?

Sure, we can all do our bit with not watching, but the real, visible power lies with the players and football authorities.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...