IGNORED

Brian Clough Saved My Life

glynriley

15 minutes ago, RedNachos said:

And yet killed another

Justin Fashanu is a different story 

I think even that story acknowledges that Clough could be difficult and judgemental.

There's a longer version of it that was posted here from The Guardian, where Craig - the bloke who has written the book about how the Clough family "adopted" him unofficially - says he "loved Brian except when he was being a ****".

I think in Cloughie's latter years, alcohol probably made him harder to love.

Still a fascinating character though. I can't think of a bigger personality within British football. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think even that story acknowledges that Clough could be difficult and judgemental.

There's a longer version of it that was posted here from The Guardian, where Craig - the bloke who has written the book about how the Clough family "adopted" him unofficially - says he "loved Brian except when he was being a ****".

I think in Cloughie's latter years, alcohol probably made him harder to love.

Still a fascinating character though. I can't think of a bigger personality within British football. 

I can't remember when it was widley reported that Cloughie was an alcoholic, but it certainly made some of actions and personality more understandale. Always remember him as the manager everyone loved to hate, but secretly wished he was in charge of their club (with at least one obvious exception). A bit like Colin now, apart from the world class talent and success.

3 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I can't remember when it was widley reported that Cloughie was an alcoholic, but it certainly made some of actions and personality more understandale. Always remember him as the manager everyone loved to hate, but secretly wished he was in charge of their club (with at least one obvious exception). A bit like Colin now, apart from the world class talent and success.

Yes and we need to remember that he wasn't an alcoholic at the time of his greatest footballing triumphs, it all came later.

The Damned United is an entertaining film and Michael Sheen does a terrific turn as Clough, but it disappointed family and friends by suggesting BC was roaring drunk for much of the 70s.  It shifted his problems with alcohol a decade too early. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yes and we need to remember that he wasn't an alcoholic at the time of his greatest footballing triumphs, it all came later.

The Damned United is an entertaining film and Michael Sheen does a terrific turn as Clough, but it disappointed family and friends by suggesting BC was roaring drunk for much of the 70s.  It shifted his problems with alcohol a decade too early. 

I’ve heard it reported that Clough used alcohol to deal with his experience of being at Hillsborough, which makes sense as it was only after that things started coming off the rails 

• Like 2

On 14/11/2021 at 12:09, RedNachos said:

And yet killed another

Justin Fashanu is a different story 

If you read  Brian Clough’s book, Walking On Water, he speaks of his regret at how he handled the whole situation with Justin Fashanu, saying he wished he’d tried to of been more understanding. I’d also recommend that you watch the documentary Forbidden Games, which tells the whole of the story of Fashanu’s life. It’s very harsh to blame Brian Clough for all of his woes, remember John, his own brother wasn’t too thrilled when he came out as gay either.

15 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

For anyone interested, i believe in miracles has dropped on Netflix and tells the story of how he took forest from the second division to European champions. Is well worth a watch 

I can thoroughly recommend this, an excellent film.

Edited by BS15_RED
  • Like 1