IGNORED

Strictly

daored

Never really been a fan before , but wow watching Rose Ayling-Ellis dance last night and when they turned off the sound brought a tear to my eye. Heard her talk about how she dances and she replied she counts the moves in her head - amazing ?????

Fabulous that a prime time Saturday night tv programme is promoting deafness and sign language- hope she wins and raises awareness

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, daored said:

Never really been a fan before , but wow watching Rose Ayling-Ellis dance last night and when they turned off the sound brought a tear to my eye. Heard her talk about how she dances and she replied she counts the moves in her head - amazing ?????

Fabulous that a prime time Saturday night tv programme is promoting deafness and sign language- hope she wins and raises awareness

She started the series visibly counting them and has now progressed to counting in her head.  It was amazing.

Strictly is a great programme.  Two male dancers as well.  It does a great job of inclusion.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

She started the series visibly counting them and has now progressed to counting in her head.  It was amazing.

Strictly is a great programme.  Two male dancers as well.  It does a great job of inclusion.

Agreed , and as a prime tv programme it generates conversations such as this 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daored said:

It was ace wasn’t it?!

On 15/11/2021 at 12:44, Selred said:

Incredible. I was moved to tears. One of the most powerful things I've ever seen on TV.

I was too, but I am still not sure why. There was a beauty to seeing her dance without music I think, knowing she must do it for the joy of movement more than anything else. There was a selfish part of me as well wondering what I will do without music as my tinnitus is worsening all the time. 

The strange thing about Strictly is I suspect most of the people who watch it wouldn’t know if the dancers performed a routine incorrectly or put a foot out of place unless they actually fell over!

Lots of people just watch it for the ‘glamour’, sparkly costumes, sexy participants (OK not all are ‘sexy’) and the great music.
It has been going since 2004 but each year it has different performers - just like the various football teams and leagues we’ve all watched - for ever. 

It’s a bit like so many on here who watch our team week in and week out and only really take into account the ball hitting the back of the net.
Only the Statto’s and some of the more knowledgeable contributors concern themselves with the tiny details of the whole game, as long as people enjoy what they see that’s what counts for them.

Personally I can’t take to watching Strictly regularly, as someone once pointed out to me the incessant clapping along to the music reminds them of listening to a load of sea lions at the zoo ‘clapping’ with their flippers ?, and I can’t get that image out of my head when I do actually watch it! Maybe I’ll look for the mute button a bit more often  

The dance routine performed by Rose Ayling-Ellis I did happen to catch and yes, that was jaw dropping LH amazing. 

17 hours ago, Red DNA said:

The strange thing about Strictly is I suspect most of the people who watch it wouldn’t know if the dancers performed a routine incorrectly or put a foot out of place unless they actually fell over!

Lots of people just watch it for the ‘glamour’, sparkly costumes, sexy participants (OK not all are ‘sexy’) and the great music.
It has been going since 2004 but each year it has different performers - just like the various football teams and leagues we’ve all watched - for ever. 

It’s a bit like so many on here who watch our team week in and week out and only really take into account the ball hitting the back of the net.
Only the Statto’s and some of the more knowledgeable contributors concern themselves with the tiny details of the whole game, as long as people enjoy what they see that’s what counts for them.

Personally I can’t take to watching Strictly regularly, as someone once pointed out to me the incessant clapping along to the music reminds them of listening to a load of sea lions at the zoo ‘clapping’ with their flippers ?, and I can’t get that image out of my head when I do actually watch it! Maybe I’ll look for the mute button a bit more often  

The dance routine performed by Rose Ayling-Ellis I did happen to catch and yes, that was jaw dropping LH amazing. 

As someone who has always disliked sports and pastimes which are decided on a judges point of view, i feel the Strictly judges have made it accessible.

Each week it seems I learn something new and I have come to understand what they are looking for. From hip action, posture, hand and head positions to "feckles", it has been easier to understand what makes a good dance and a good dancer, even for a dad dancer like me.  :)

The contrast to those music and other talent competitions, where they clearly apply their own criteria and agendas is huge.

• Like 1

On 17/11/2021 at 13:36, Port Said Red said:

As someone who has always disliked sports and pastimes which are decided on a judges point of view, i feel the Strictly judges have made it accessible.

Each week it seems I learn something new and I have come to understand what they are looking for. From hip action, posture, hand and head positions to "feckles", it has been easier to understand what makes a good dance and a good dancer, even for a dad dancer like me.  :)

The contrast to those music and other talent competitions, where they clearly apply their own criteria and agendas is huge.

You understand Craig's "armology" then? ?

9 hours ago, daored said:

Well deserved ??

Absolutely. I don't normally buy into the narratives of these kind of shows,  the cliches about being on a "journey" etc. But she genuinely had a story to tell, a challenge to overcome to tell it, a under represented community to champion, and she did all those things brilliantly.

I often forget all but the best dancers from previous shows, but I will never ever forget that couples choice dance and the effect it had on me.

Edited by Port Said Red

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Absolutely. I don't normally buy into the narratives of these kind of shows,  the cliches about being on a "journey" etc. But she genuinely had a story to tell, a challenge to overcome to tell it, a under represented community to champion, and she did all those things brilliantly.

I often forget all but the best dancers from previous shows, but I will never ever forget that couples choice dance and the effect it had on me.

And if she gives confidence to one deaf young ester to follow their dreams, the show is a success