IGNORED

Any news about big Nige?

Franklin CITY

6 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

What an odd take on it. He is at home, resting - trying to get better and you want him to make an appearance ? You have been given an update from the club - just let the bloke rest up 

I think, and this is fair, he could of had one or two lines. 

"I cannot wait to get back to work but my health needs to take priority at this present time. I want to give 100% on my return to get the club to where it should be, however in the meantime I have full confidence in Curtis and the rest of the staff. COYR's". 

People asking for a quote from Nige.....surely this is due to the media team and nothing else?  Pearson has spoken to Fleming on a regular basis.  He has spoken to Gould confirming he wants to come back asap.  Gould confirms this.  Surely, the comment from Gould is essentially a quote from Pearson as he's relaying the message.  Not sure why the media team would therefore need to phone Nige for a quote.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I guess if you’re “home on the sick” then a quote is probably inappropriate?

One of two things must be true;

1. Pearson is in regular contact with the club, whether simply updating on his health or having input into day-to-day.

The club surely realise the best way to address uncertainty surrounding the managers future, an uncertainty that they helped create after Gould’s RB interview, is to get two sentences from Pearson during one of their phone chats which they can pump out to fans, settling rumours down. 

2. Pearson either isn’t in regular contact with the club or is and, for whatever reason, the situation is more uncertain than is appropriate to reveal.

As has been discussed previously it is inappropriate to speculate on health. Pearson’s health isn’t any of mine, or any of ours, business. I very much hope he’s doing ok/improving, I don’t want nor am suggesting details of the situation be shared, the only thing that matters is his health. However, to my mind, either 1. is true in which case why not have a general (not specific, not making promises that might not be kept etc.) ‘Thank you to all those who have passed on their good wishes, this is a frustrating time for me in which I must put my health first however I am eager to get back to work’ message, which for me carries significantly more weight than Gould firming up his tone. The only reason I can see is 2.

This isn’t about details of health it’s about clarity of message. I’m not annoyed, frustrated, clamouring for info, a man’s health is more important than the fortunes of a football club. I wish him all the very best in his recovery but am curious to why the message continues to be ambiguous.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

What an odd take on it. He is at home, resting - trying to get better and you want him to make an appearance ? You have been given an update from the club - just let the bloke rest up 

No I most definitely don’t want him to do anything that in any way compromises his recovery.

Hopefully my response to DaveFevs explains my thought process.

43 minutes ago, Taz said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he did move upstairs, and we did take on a younger, less experienced coach.

In the meantime hope he's back, and well enough soon.

It would certainly surprise me.

He has never carried out this role at any club before & nor has he shown any interest in ever doing so. This is the “Joe Jordan as Director of Football” conversation all over again.

He’ll either return to his current role at some point or otherwise he’ll leave, I don’t see any other options.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It would certainly surprise me.

He has never carried out this role at any club before & nor has he shown any interest in ever doing so. This is the “Joe Jordan as Director of Football” conversation all over again.

He’ll either return to his current role at some point or otherwise he’ll leave, I don’t see any other options.

I half agree with you, Gray, but the corollary is he's never had any long-lasting health and fitness worries before.

If it's a choice between leaving the game entirely (before he turns 60) or taking a more hands-off, executive-style role, he might prefer the latter. 

Pure speculation, I admit. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I half agree with you, Gray, but the corollary is he's never had any long-lasting health and fitness worries before.

If it's a choice between leaving the game entirely (before he turns 60) or taking a more hands-off, executive-style role, he might prefer the latter. 

Very much off topic but I love a new (to me) word. Thank you.

As you were….

• Haha 1

I'm sure that when NP was interviewed back in February after taking the job, he was asked if he had been approached back the previous summer when DH was appointed.

I believe his response was something along the line he had been ill, and hospitalised then due to "Rheumatism?". I might have remembered that wrong.

Ultimately even before he got Covid, he obviously has a number of underlying health conditions that have been exacerbated by either having Covid twice or like Cotterell still suffering from the first bout.

He's not a well man, that's for sure. I do wonder whether the club & NP together will have to take a pragmatic approach over the next few weeks over his position.

A lot will decide on the Blackburn & Stoke games. We have to arrest the slide we're on; and unfortunately can't afford to having a manager off on sick leave with no apparent return in sight.

If we can get a result(or even a point) in both those games (yeah, i know unlikely the way we're playing at the moment), then possibly Fleming covering for NP in the next month or so won't be catastrophic. Lose both, and the pressure will really be on to make a decision.

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, that is a possibility, especially as between him and SL there is a plan in place.

RG’s quote is the clarity he needed to give last week.

We just have to await further updates as match day gets closer….and then beyond.

Oo you are saying this with more certainty now...?

Agree this is what was needed last week. 

1 hour ago, Selred said:

I think, and this is fair, he could of had one or two lines. 

"I cannot wait to get back to work but my health needs to take priority at this present time. I want to give 100% on my return to get the club to where it should be, however in the meantime I have full confidence in Curtis and the rest of the staff. COYR's". 

You’ve done it for him. Job done

Think we need to show support here to the manager of OUR beloved Bristol City and as a human being. He has been signed off unwell and when that happens we all want our employers and colleagues to show grace and understanding. We have to trust the management structure is set up well and robust so its not reliant on one person. That's the responsibility and requirement of every good efficient "team" and business. My opinion is to let the poor chap recover and come back to his job (which we hope he loves) and get us back on track. That would only be fair. Though if this was to go on past the Blackburn game then an interim manager should be appointed to cover the sickness.

Edited by MattWSM
typo
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

You’re totally right, it’s simply speculation, which if we’re all learning a new word today, is fairly otiose ?.

So my hunch is this, he’s an awkward bugger who based on the fact that he has properties in Devon & Sheffield has not been exactly daft in the way that he’s spent the money football has brought him, so he doesn’t need to work.

He has also said there are parts of the business (agents, etc) he has no interest in dealing with, which is bad news if you ever wanted to be a Director of Football..

He also has his interests away from the game, hiking, the outdoors, so added to the fact that he has indicated before he doesn’t live solely for the game, I reckon he would walk away & do other stuff if his health meant he couldn’t be a manager anymore.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Strange one...
Very hard to rest and recuperate from home when he is in regular contact with the assistant manager.

It really isn’t.

You can schedule an hour catch up by Zoom or phone and still spend a lot of time recovering.

The physical exertion is comparably minor in comparison to getting to the training ground & having to deal with large numbers of staff.

People in far worse, even life limiting conditions can operate like this.

• Like 2