IGNORED

Any news about big Nige?

Franklin CITY

1 hour ago, gl2 said:

There is something wrong with NP healthwise, otherwise why wouldnt he be here? saying that a few words from him via video would end the speculation. i.e "I`m recovering well and expect to be back in a few days/week/months" wouldnt take too much effort on the clubs/his part.:dunno:

Don't you know anyone who's had bad Covid symptoms?  You just can't tell whether they will last for days, weeks or months. 

• Like 5

Really interesting debate last night on 20man I think one of the guys from @3 Peaps In A PodCastwas on and another gentleman with Gary Owers. Really good to listen to views as to whether we should look to replace Pearson, not just due to health reasons but performances / results. Reasonable debate, recommend if not heard listen on BBC Sounds 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

20 hours ago, sephjnr said:

I agree with this. Even if it isn't "long" it's the third bout in a short timespan, and - harsh as it may be - in a 'normal' job it would be under scrutiny from the managment.

I would hope in a 'normal' job that the management would be supportive rather than scrutinising. I know several people in 'normal' occupations who have/are suffering from long covid who are getting support from their employers. Without this support they could easily become depressed. Unfortunately this virus and its effects are a learning curve for all of us. Football is a cut & throat business, but I hope we give Nig a bit more time, and that the players step up.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just taking a different view….what if he looks like and sounds like shit in a video….what does that do to help?

A lot Dave. It will confirm just how bad the sound-desk and microphones are plus the fact that BCFC need new video equipment. There are plenty of posts on otib to confirm the above!

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s a forum, we can of course speculate, but last week we moaned (me included) that RG’s 20Man comments weren’t helpful.  Yesterday he gives an update, and now we want more.

There’s a difference between moaning and commenting. Not saying some didn’t moan, not saying those that did weren’t justified in doing so, but saying Gould was uncertain and nervous {on RB}, for example, isn’t {necessarily} moaning.

Don’t want to go in circles with this conversation, you (and others) were satisfied/reassured with what the club released yesterday and that’s great, however from my point of view the question is - if you could do the one thing to stop speculation (get a direct quote from Pearson stating his willingness to return) then why wouldn’t you do it?

It’s also important to clarify ‘we want more’. I’m not saying I want more. I said in original comment that club had to speak and they did. Again, there’s a difference between commenting and moaning, and I think too often people mistake the two. I’m not moaning that Pearson hasn’t commented, there’s various reasons why that could be the case including his health, so I’m certainly not moaning. I’m simply commenting that it’s interesting he hasn’t.

I hope NP makes a full recovery like all City fans. But I hope while he is off that Curtis is given full control. And not simply be taking calls to implement NP's plans.  How can that be effective when he is not at the club. He is off sick so  forget football and  concentrate on getting better. And leave Curtis to get on with the job and see what he is made of.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Mr Hankey said:

I’m not convinced he will come back, but i do fully believe the reasons for why he is missing. 2 home defeats in the next week will signal a change i feel, as we will simply not be able to carry on with Fleming being in charge.

Correct, there must be a cut off date in mind and although the board are desperate for NP to come back they can't afford to let this drag on if the results remain poor. 

8 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Correct, there must be a cut off date in mind and although the board are desperate for NP to come back they can't afford to let this drag on if the results remain poor. 

James Piercy’s article last week implied that they had a timeline they were working to.

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

I hope NP makes a full recovery like all City fans. But I hope while he is off that Curtis is given full control. And not simply be taking calls to implement NP's plans.  How can that be effective when he is not at the club. He is off sick so  forget football and  concentrate on getting better. And leave Curtis to get on with the job and see what he is made of.

There's a balance to strike there. He  needs to get on with the day to day and not let NP micromanage everything.  On the other hand everything should be working towards a clear goal which is set by NP.  They have to communicate.

One thing I hope this stops is the moronic criticism of him watching from the stands.....

• Like 4

Listened to 20Man last night, and fair criticism from the guests and Gary Owers on what’s happening on the pitch.  But I felt Matt and Nigel (in particular) was critical of things like “Nige says he doesn’t coach” and “he falls out with players”, and then Owers chips in and says that some of his managers didn’t coach per se, they trusted their coaches….McMenemy and Allardyce quoted.  Also said player arguments / falling out were common too.  It’s not like Nige (bar illness) isn’t ever out there on the grass, but he’s more an observer, a fine-tuner.  Also, just because we’ve heard Nige doesn’t like dealing with agents doesn’t mean he doesn’t / hasn’t, nor does it mean he’s not involved in recruitment.

It is where “us” fans can only speculate, put two and two together, etc….we don’t know exactly what happens and why.  Think some of the comments last night were a bit too much “guesswork”.  Good show though, and don’t disagree with the comments about what’s happening on the pitch.

Thats the bit us fans can have a real opinion on.  And it’s fair to say improvement is required.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Listened to 20Man last night, and fair criticism from the guests and Gary Owers on what’s happening on the pitch.  But I felt Matt and Nigel (in particular) was critical of things like “Nige says he doesn’t coach” and “he falls out with players”, and then Owers chips in and says that some of his managers didn’t coach per se, they trusted their coaches….McMenemy and Allardyce quoted.  Also said player arguments / falling out were common too.  It’s not like Nige (bar illness) isn’t ever out there on the grass, but he’s more an observer, a fine-tuner.  Also, just because we’ve heard Nige doesn’t like dealing with agents doesn’t mean he doesn’t / hasn’t, nor does it mean he’s not involved in recruitment.

It is where “us” fans can only speculate, put two and two together, etc….we don’t know exactly what happens and why.  Think some of the comments last night were a bit too much “guesswork”.  Good show though, and don’t disagree with the comments about what’s happening on the pitch.

Thats the bit us fans can have a real opinion on.  And it’s fair to say improvement is required.

I feel there was a lot of insight in the comments last night.

3 hours ago, The Bard said:

One thing I hope this stops is the moronic criticism of him watching from the stands.....

But we do need someone - someone like Nigel Pearson, when he throttled some lad - shouting at the players from the touchline. Cos that's English football, see. Remember SO'D leaning against the end of the perspex dugout, looking like a lonely middle aged man waiting for a bus that was due 40 minutes ago, not breathing a word? Disaster. Players didn't know what to do.

I'd see if Neil Warnock would take the role of touchline sarge-major on a "pay-as-you-harangue-and-abuse-the-4th-official" for 90 minutes a week while Nige sits upstairs with a hot water bottle and a blanket.

• Haha 7

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It was a good show.  Like Matt and Nigel’s input, coupled with Gary's.

Don’t remember who was who with the two guests, one of whom was far too ‘fan’ based with his assumptions for me.

Thought Gary was spot on, the insight he brings as a former pro is excellent, do wonder why he isn’t coaching somewhere, possible addition to Nigel’s team?

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

I said within 3 months, which is quite widely known.

You first claimed that everyone was trying to be a medical expert, then made a statement about how possible it was to get COVID within a specific time period. Slightly contradictory, no?

As for the "widely known", I've worked in healthcare for 30 years and wouldn't dream of speculating about the possibility of an emergent and relatively unknown pathogen being caught more than once.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Countryfile said:

Don’t remember who was who with the two guests, one of whom was far too ‘fan’ based with his assumptions for me.

Thought Gary was spot on, the insight he brings as a former pro is excellent, do wonder why he isn’t coaching somewhere, possible addition to Nigel’s team?

Think that was Nigel

2 hours ago, VT05763 said:

I feel there was a lot of insight in the comments last night.

Not being pedantic . However , it’s not really insight,  it’s speculation when the lads were talking about falling out with players & coaching/management . 
we all have opinions & there’s nothing wrong in that at all . My slight issue is Matt especially has quite a voice on twentyman & in the post but it’s still just his opinion . It’s not even a educated guess . I do think there’s a bit too much fans input in on podcasts etc at times . 

• Like 2

If Nigel does not do much coaching which i find strange, but he is the manager so its his choice. Surely he should have a top coach in to help. Alex Ball is inexperienced at coaching proven championship players. Good to have him on board for the future. So he is replacing 2 experienced coaches. not sure its the right thing to do.  with Nige ill and we are in freefall surely someone should be brought in to help. wait for the moaners 

15 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Not being pedantic . However , it’s not really insight,  it’s speculation when the lads were talking about falling out with players & coaching/management . 
we all have opinions & there’s nothing wrong in that at all . My slight issue is Matt especially has quite a voice on twentyman & in the post but it’s still just his opinion . It’s not even a educated guess . I do think there’s a bit too much fans input in on podcasts etc at times . 

As I posted above….I thought their views of what goes on during the 90 was good, couple of things I didn’t quite agree with, but that’s all about our individual take on the game.  However as you also say, I thought they were very speculative about the off the field stuff….and I’m glad Gary gave the “pro view” back.

11 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

If Nigel does not do much coaching which i find strange, but he is the manager so its his choice. Surely he should have a top coach in to help. Alex Ball is inexperienced at coaching proven championship players. Good to have him on board for the future. So he is replacing 2 experienced coaches. not sure its the right thing to do.  with Nige ill and we are in freefall surely someone should be brought in to help. wait for the moaners 

Don’t forget we’ve employed Curtis Fleming too, so Alex Ball not replacing two coaches. According to RG, Kalife Cisse’s main role focus is coaching too (does scouting on the side).  So, I can’t tell you whether Nige sees a trio of CF, AB and KC as giving him the same coverage as PS, KD and KC…but it’s the same number of resources as DH had and now Nige has.

I could speculate that PS and KD left because Nige felt that they couldn’t cover him whilst he wasn’t around, but I’d be guessing (2+2=?)….or that he felt Alex understands the clarity of the message better than the 2 older coaches did.  Again I’m guessing.

We do know that Nige hasn’t been a regular at the HPC for a good number of weeks….and therefore training would’ve been down to CF, PS, KD and KC during that time….until they left / resigned / sacked / paid off.

What we can only wait for now is the point in which the next step of the plan is invoked, should Nige not return by that point.

I think we can all agree that if Nige is unable to continue the “manager” aspects of the role, we need to bring in someone.  That is not to say Nige might retain a different role in future.

I would be surprised if Nige isn’t back by Stoke next week there isn’t a further update…whatever that update might be.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Isn’t that what Curtis Fleming does?

Someone whose CV has seen him as Assistant manager at QPR, Middlesbrough & Bolton at Championship level. Plus coaching spells at Palace, Hartlepool & Livingston.

I would argue actually his experience is greater than either that of Simpson, who hadn’t been with a league club since 2010 prior to joining us or Downing, who hadn’t done so since 2014.

• Like 2

There's an article by Piercy in BL today where CF says our problems are nothing to do with formations and all about attitude. 

If both NP and CF feel formations and drilling the team on ways to organise themselves aren't important I'm not surprised we are in trouble. 

All well and good to say the players have to man up. If there is no game plan and no organisation that surely will undermine confidence. I'm all for players having freedom to express themselves but under pressure surely they need the security of knowing what to fall back on.

It just leaves me feeling more worried about what NP/CF are doing beyond trying to get some sort 'culture' in place. Surely it needs  more direct input on team shape etc so they all know their role and how the team is supposed to function? 

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

37 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

There's an article by Piercy in BL today where CF says our problems are nothing to do with formations and all about attitude. 

If both NP and CF feel formations and drilling the team on ways to organise themselves aren't important I'm not surprised we are in trouble. 

All well and good to say the players have to man up. If there is no game plan and no organisation that surely will undermine confidence. I'm all for players having freedom to express themselves but under pressure surely they need the security of knowing what to fall back on.

It just leaves me feeling more worried about what NP/CF are doing beyond trying to get some sort 'culture' in place. Surely it needs  more direct input on team shape etc so they all know their role and how the team is supposed to function? 

This exactly.

"Doubling down" on what has been failing for months will not help.

45 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

No manager, ever, will put an emphasis on formations.

Secondly, literally a manager's primary job is to create a "culture" and winning environment. That's their main job. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1