IGNORED

Ghana eliminate South Africa with a Penalty Decision that is WTF?

maxjak

Just watched a Video Of South Africa losing to Ghana in a World Cup Qualifier that has eliminated Bafana Bafana from qualification.  The defeat is by 1-0 with a penalty that not only takes the biscuit as one of the worst decision's possible.........but quite probably also takes whole frigging bakery!!  Ha!

Almartey of Leicester should of been sent off for cheating, but the Sengalese referee is a disgrace, and must have had a stack of cash on 1-0?   It will be investigated, after an official protest by South Africa.  It is on You Tube, and well worth a look.  Don't you just love African football?

Edited by maxjak

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Just watched a Video Of South Africa losing to Ghana in a World Cup Qualifier that has eliminated Bafana Bafana from qualification.  The defeat is by 1-0 with a penalty that not only takes the biscuit as one of the worst decision possible.........but quite probably also takes whole frigging bakery!!  Ha!

Almartey of Leicester should of been sent off for cheating, but the Sengalese referee is a disgrace, and must have had a stack of cash on 1-0?   It will be investigated, after an official protest by South Africa.  It is on You Tube, and well worth a look.  Don't you just love African football?

Senegal, which of course is in West Africa, like Ghana...  

South Africa however is very distant to either.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

I don’t think it’s a bad enough decision to warrant a rematch or formal investigation. It’s not a penalty but seems like a genuine mistaken decision to me.

You and Roe aren't referees by any chance?   A genuine mistake.?...what like Henry's handball against Ireland?

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

You can see why the Ref gave it?............are you serious? 

Yes ?

I'm not saying it is a penalty at all or that I agree with the decision.  I just think from the referee's view it's possible he saw the defender holding the Ghana player for what he deemed to be too long or unfairly.

Corruption is possible, if not likely, of course but just saying I could also see it potentially being just a genuine mistake/poor decision.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Also it was Ghana who were screwed over by Suarez handball on the line so there could be some level of karmic restoration happening here. Fully expecting SA to fluke through against another team in four years!

Oh Yep that is really relevant.........do you also believe in Unicorns and  the Abominable Snowman?    

18 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Also it was Ghana who were screwed over by Suarez handball on the line so there could be some level of karmic restoration happening here. Fully expecting SA to fluke through against another team in four years!

Funnily enough after Ireland were done over by the infamous Thierry Henry handball they were then the recipients of some extremely strange decisions in the following set of qualifiers. 

Bizarre red cards & a couple of very odd penalties given in their favour, (all against nations that were never going to qualify) not that this was connected, of course…

It's clearly a terrible decision but I'm not at all convinced that South Africa will succeed in their bid to get the game replayed. It's an appalling decision and there is precedent (in a game that also involved South Africa, Ghana and Senegal, albeit with a Ghanain referee and Senegal as the opponents - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41182108) but proving that the referee made a corrupt decision rather than an in-ept one will be incredibly tough based on the video evidence alone. 

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It's clearly a terrible decision but I'm not at all convinced that South Africa will succeed in their bid to get the game replayed. It's an appalling decision and there is precedent (in a game that also involved South Africa, Ghana and Senegal, albeit with a Ghanain referee and Senegal as the opponents - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41182108) but proving that the referee made a corrupt decision rather than an in-ept one will be incredibly tough based on the video evidence alone. 

I think it wasn't in-ept.  It was far from ept.   :whistle:

11 hours ago, Taz said:

Did they find the sniper?

Error or not, this is the perfect example of why you shouldn't touch an attacking player in your own box.

Touch him?........he sneezed on him?  Amartey goes down slower than a myopic sloth giving a blow job?  The whole event is a complete clusterpheck

Edited by maxjak

Great for Wollacott! Amazing story that really.

Also that penalty, I agree with someone else, I can see why the referee has given it... He was deceived by the dive from the player and presumably has had a bit of a guess at it. Before VAR that sort of thing was common. This is just a particularly bad example. Poor officiating but I wouldn't be rushing to scream corruption.

• Like 1