IGNORED

San Marino v England

Super

35 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

They should have to play qualifiers to get into the qualifiers in my eyes. Pointless games 

There is no way these teams should get bumped in their own league that then gets them into the finals . 

Not this again. I'll never agree. They pay their dues to FIFA like anyone else and deserve to be treated with equal respect. Personally I don't think there should be any seedings at all. If that resulted in a WCQ group of England, France, Belgium, Germany and Spain then so be it. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Italy to do the jocks

Russia to do the taffs

You called it, The.

Let’s hope it comes to pass. Scotland are no doubt full of hubris after their recent “amazing” run of results.

Well done, England - you can only beat what’s put in front of you and clearly the qualifying set-up needs a serious overhaul. But that was as professional as could be expected - and I really don’t see what was wrong with either of the disallowed goals. Methinks the referee took pity on the hapless hosts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

let’s hope that when kane breaks the england scoring record he gets the same shit as rooney took on here. He only scores against crap teams etc etc. rooney never played against any team this bad!

When HK breaks Lineker’s record, as he inevitably will, he has to be duped into going on a Chris Morris show like Lineker did (unironically branding Brexiteers credulous ninnies) and then get hoodwinked into saying that the one-hit wonder act BALTIMORA, responsible for “Tarzan Boy” is creepy bloke text message slang for “I’m running at them now with my trousers down.”

Edited by WessexPest
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Not this again. I'll never agree. They pay their dues to FIFA like anyone else and deserve to be treated with equal respect. Personally I don't think there should be any seedings at all. If that resulted in a WCQ group of England, France, Belgium, Germany and Spain then so be it. 

There should be a prequalifying tournament to separate the wheat from the chaff - some of the results in this final round of qualifiers have been utterly farcical.

What if you get a group of San Marino, Gibraltar, Andorra, Liechtenstein and Malta and are so obviously not watching the best teams in Europe or the World as you ****ing well should be? The current qualifying paths are a ridiculous participation-trophy farce.

Edited by WessexPest
  • Like 1

• Admin
3 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

There should be a prequalifying tournament to separate the wheat from the chaff - some of the results in this final round of qualifiers have been utterly farcical.

What if you get a group of San Marino, Gibraltar, Andorra, Liechtenstein and Malta and are so obviously not watching the best teams in Europe or the World as you ****ing well should be? The current qualifying paths are a ridiculous participation-trophy farce.

Exactly why the Nations league exists as it does 

7 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

I'd be happy with such a group. Its a cup competition and as such everyone should start equal. Let's not pretend that FIFA and its Confederations give a stuff about footballing quality, its all about the money. The expansion of the World Cup to 32 teams is to generate more income and provide a greater opportunity to pass around brown envelopes. Africa and Asia remain incredibly underrepresented compared to Europe but we know where the money lies. 

Think it’s tonight’s result that’s the exception rather than the rule, teams can improve by playing in tournaments against better teams.

Luxembourg won 5 games in their first 134 World Cup qualifiers and 3 out of 8 this time.

Faroe Islands 2nd bottom of group. 

Gibraltar about as bad as their first go in 2018, but it does take time. 

Malta most goals they’ve scored in 13 World Cup qualifying attempts (back to 1974) and most points (admittedly only 5) as well.

Liechtenstein marginally better than 2018, but have gone backwards vs 2014 and earlier. However a 1-1, 0-1 and three 0-2s this time, so still not being hammered every game.

Even San Marino’s travails have allowed Andorra to their best record ever! And San Marino themselves lost two matches 2-0 and two 3-0, so not tonight’s result repeated consistently. 

Unless the World Cup is automatically Germany Vs Brazil every time, because every other team has a worse record, then think okay for qualifying to be a reasonably broad church. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'd be happy with such a group. Its a cup competition and as such everyone should start equal. Let's not pretend that FIFA and its Confederations give a stuff about footballing quality, its all about the money. The expansion of the World Cup to 32 teams is to generate more income and provide a greater opportunity to pass around brown envelopes. Africa and Asia remain incredibly underrepresented compared to Europe but we know where the money lies. 

That doesn’t happen in any cup competition. There’s a reason why teams like Ottery St Mary have to jump through many, many hoops before they can even have the “privilege” of facing abject dogs**t like Bristol Rovers.

European teams have won each of the past four WCs and nine of the past 14 so it’s not unfair they get more Finals places than Asia and Africa, who have amassed a big, fat lonely zero between them. 

Agree that expanding the WC is stupid - 32 teams is optimal; both in terms of quality and the mathematics to get down to two finalists with a just round by round exit. But of course FIFA cannot leave it alone just like UEFA with the elephantine European Championship - so hey presto a more drawn out, uninspiring tournament and a qualifying campaign that is like watching paint dry.

I am not sure I have ever seen an England team with this level of confidence, with the talent to back it up. 

When you look at some of the players they haven't used in the last couple of games, and the ones that can't even get in the squad, this really does seem like a great generation.

Southgate and his coaching team deserve much praise too, the way that players seem to switch in and out so seamlessly is down to the work they do.