IGNORED

Seating & how it could annoy some people.

1960maaan

Just saw a Tweet from Exeter. Now remember when City said they couldn't have seating in the concourse, admittedly they were talking about tables too, but there was some talk of a health and safety risk. Now the Exeter Tweet ? Well .........

1791262088_Screenshot2021-11-16at21_21_46.png.fd7eee2f1c4031179b19e689e967da93.png

FEUUqq7X0AIoXiU.thumb.jpeg.52e36ec4e341aeda33a6ccdd11ae7aa4.jpeg

FEUUqqYXMAcA0A2.thumb.jpeg.0f60e664b0f20ad99341300ab0abf65f.jpeg

Would have been nice if City did something like this, it would allow some of the older fans to sit before going to their seat. It would also allow people to sit with a beer & food instead of having to struggle or have beer between their feet with others walking past.

• Like 8

I believe it's to do with the numbers that would have to evacuate through the area in an emergency. 

With no exit at the back of the south stand you would have thousands of people either going through the Dolman or Lansdown concourse area.

I can't imagine that stand at Exeter that has those seats installed holds many fans and would likely have more than one exit.

• Thanks 2

• Admin
19 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

With no exit at the back of the south stand you would have thousands of people either going through the Dolman or Lansdown concourse area.

There is just as many exit points at the back of the South Stand, it is where many file our after a game

The only thing I can think is that seats being installed like above would impact the space when it is used on non matchdays?

Which I guess equates to more usage than football / rugby fixtures?

11 hours ago, Selred said:

Get the cups they have at the Rugby where they are Bears branded. Same at Glos cricket. Got a few in my cupboard.

Would love City ones instead!

Weirdly they seem to have reverted back to single use at the rugby this season so far. Certainly for single pints not the two pinters.  May be a supply issue but you’d be thought they’d have a decent stock of the older ones. 

29 minutes ago, phantom said:

There is just as many exit points at the back of the South Stand, it is where many file our after a game

The only thing I can think is that seats being installed like above would impact the space when it is used on non matchdays?

Which I guess equates to more usage than football / rugby fixtures?

This is exactly the reason. 
Why would they put something in that is useful for the fans going to AG to watch sport, when it impacts negatively on the ‘other uses’ of the “facility”. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Magger1 said:

Bristol city need to do something as fans are saying f..k the pre game drink as there is no seating or tables or shelves to put beers and food on 

Are they? I feel like I fight my way through the same number of people to get to my seat as before.

• Like 3

One presumes from the signage (and lack of) there's a terminal fire exit route between the seats in the two photos. There are a few short sections of wall under the Dolman where similar seating might be installed, but to maintain adequate  widths for safety routes (given AGs greater capacity,) and requirement to decant at ends of the stand given the narrow lane to the side, there little scope in the Dolman Concourse for fixtures on floor. I'm amazed the bins are permitted as is.

I'd have thought the main hazard if the stadium had to be evacuated in an emergency would not be a few seats flush to the concourse wall (which would be appreciated by older fans and those with leg injuries etc), but the fact that the Dolman has far fewer exits from the terracing than newer stands and a crush might develop there in a panic situation.

People joke about Dolman early leavers, but anyone who sits there knows many don't stay until the final whistle because it takes a while to get back to the concourse then.  It's not unusual to still be queueing to exit the Dolman at a time other stands have totally emptied.

• Like 2

I was really pushing for this a few seasons back and came to the conclusion that it was a corporate decision to resist the placement of seating. There are categorically no reasons for the placing of seating within certain areas of the concourse, only made up conclusions within this forum.

There are areas in the Dolman concourse similar to those pictured at Exeter, where from memory, there could be 96 seats, without any affect whatsoever on the exit points. The same applies to three areas in the South Stand and a few in the Lansdown. Fold down seating in recessed areas does not hinder the exit points.

As regarding the exit points in the Dolman, it is expected that in a real emergency, exits are available onto and across the pitch, that's why they're there.

The cynic in me thinks that it's possible to have a negative effect on the placement of tables or furniture during promotional fairs. Therefore a benefit to those less mobile supporters is rejected.

• Like 1

• Admin
54 minutes ago, Rich said:

The cynic in me thinks that it's possible to have a negative effect on the placement of tables or furniture during promotional fairs. Therefore a benefit to those less mobile supporters is rejected.

I am convinced it is exactly that, sadly lets not forget we are not talking about solely being a football ground, it is a multi purpose venue that will be used more often for non sporting events and sadly means those that would benefit from these seats at football and rugby won't see them installed

• Like 1

This has nothing to do with Bristol City FC. It’s an Ashton Gate Stadium decision. The football club is a tenant that rents the ground on match days, which is why they are reluctant to do any modifications or ‘improvements’ for football as this could upset the next event.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pieman said:

This has nothing to do with Bristol City FC. It’s an Ashton Gate Stadium decision. The football club is a tenant that rents the ground on match days, which is why they are reluctant to do any modifications or ‘improvements’ for football as this could upset the next event.

Any evidence for that?

11 hours ago, Pezo said:

It sounds like BS and something someone just doesn't want to do and H&S is being used as the excuse, same as having to have the lights shining in our faces throughout night games.

You might have a point. I know our concourses are used regularly on non matchdays for all sorts of things, exams, exhibitions etc. By adding these seats does it limit the space somewhat? Not the space these seats physically take in the concourse but would they make the area less adaptable if these are permanently fixed?

Not my belief, but maybe from someone at the club. Personally I do strongly think seating and tables should be provided for those not able to stand, or those who want to eat and drink. Balancing your pint on a bin is not the answer!

Edit: Apologies to those who already made this point, I really must read threads to the end before posting rather than just responding by quoting the first post I agreed with! 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, phantom said:

Maybe not directly but the venue is clearly used for more events than just sport 

It is but the point (that the poster didn't make) that the stadium is owned by Bristol sport or Pula or that we are equal partners in the stadium with the rugby team has been proved to be wrong a lot.

If we are paying rent in a stadium that is owned by the football clubs and the stadiums parent company and (if I've got it right) of that structure only the parent company have shares and produce accounts then I will be surprised that we pay rent. So genuine question - is there something in the accounts or somewhere else that I have missed?

• Admin
27 minutes ago, Pezo said:

It is but the point (that the poster didn't make) that the stadium is owned by Bristol sport or Pula or that we are equal partners in the stadium with the rugby team has been proved to be wrong a lot.

If we are paying rent in a stadium that is owned by the football clubs and the stadiums parent company and (if I've got it right) of that structure only the parent company have shares and produce accounts then I will be surprised that we pay rent. So genuine question - is there something in the accounts or somewhere else that I have missed?

I don't know the answer to this, I must admit I've never really understood who owns what in the whole umbrella 

3 hours ago, Pezo said:

Any evidence for that?

The club is split into 3 separate companies. BCFC, Ashton Gate Stadium & Bristol Sport. This holy trinity is used as smoke screen when you try and pin someone down to get something done. Each part will say it’s one of the others who is to blame. This was Mark Ashton’s favourite game.

The SLO regurgitates the same line whenever you try and get a straight answer. 

41 minutes ago, Pieman said:

The club is split into 3 separate companies. BCFC, Ashton Gate Stadium & Bristol Sport. This holy trinity is used as smoke screen when you try and pin someone down to get something done. Each part will say it’s one of the others who is to blame. This was Mark Ashton’s favourite game.

The SLO regurgitates the same line whenever you try and get a straight answer. 

So nothing tangible to say that the club pays rent to the stadium company?

@JerrySLO any ideas?