IGNORED

Parking around AG

CyderInACan

Just a quick heads up that the council have finally painted lengthy double yellow lines around the junctions with the roads off Duckmoor Rd, thus reducing even further the amount of on-road free parking available. The grass verges outside Wickes are also cordoned off on a matchday (slightly old news). 

For the first season since we started coming (80’s) we have finally resigned ourselves to paying to park. The match day experience was getting around a 6 hour jaunt, and the walks from the car were getting longer. We now use the Portway park and ride and to be honest with a car of 4 of us doesn’t work out too bad when you buy a group ticket (£9). It certainly helps us leave later, although getting out after the game can take a while as the buses back are all the wrong side of the roundabout up by the Robins pub. Less stressful than trying to find a parking spot though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Just a quick heads up that the council have finally painted lengthy double yellow lines around the junctions with the roads off Duckmoor Rd, thus reducing even further the amount of on-road free parking available. The grass verges outside Wickes are also cordoned off on a matchday (slightly old news). 

And yet, they do nothing up Wellington hill,such as parking  on  corners, on bends, on traffic light junctions, opposite bollards on Wellington hill, narrowing the gap in the road, are the council GASHEADS, makes you think, 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

And yet, they do nothing up Wellington hill,such as parking  on  corners, on bends, on traffic light junctions, opposite bollards on Wellington hill, narrowing the gap in the road, are the council GASHEADS, makes you think, 

The council are gash, I'll give you that . . . 

3 hours ago, Stedge said:

For the first season since we started coming (80’s) we have finally resigned ourselves to paying to park. The match day experience was getting around a 6 hour jaunt, and the walks from the car were getting longer. We now use the Portway park and ride and to be honest with a car of 4 of us doesn’t work out too bad when you buy a group ticket (£9). It certainly helps us leave later, although getting out after the game can take a while as the buses back are all the wrong side of the roundabout up by the Robins pub. Less stressful than trying to find a parking spot though.

Why don't you park in the field right next to the Bedminster cricket club? it's £10 that's 4@ £2.50 each 5 minute walk to the ground, if I were you the only time I would catch the bus was if it had been raining a lot leading up to the game because sometimes the field is then closed.

Edited by pillred
punctuation

27 minutes ago, pillred said:

Why don't you park in the field right next to the Bedminster cricket club? it's £10 that's 4@ £2.50 each 5 minute walk to the ground, if I were you the only time I would catch the bus was if it had been raining a lot leading up to the game because sometimes the field is then closed.

£10??

Thank f@@k I don’t go anymore!! 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’d like to know their rationale behind these recent restrictions. It’s seem unnecessarily punitive to me.

I'd like a explaination regarding parking on the wasteland under the flyover on Winterstoke Rd, I know we can't park on Winterstoke Rd ,double yellows ,and on kerbs, but surely that doesn't include on the grass opposite Wicks,van anyone explain, 

3 hours ago, Redandproud said:

Yep all 20,000 Bristol city council employees are GAS HEADS

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Have never once paid for parking and never walked more than 15-20 mins to ground. No idea why people have such a big issue over it - loads of parking knocking around if you are prepared to walk a mile ish to ground.

I'm fortunate to live about a five minute walk from the ground and know parking isn't great. And hasn't been helped by the council decisions e.g. extending the RPZs.

But I do wonder sometimes, why people think they can turn up to an event of 20,000(ish) people and park in the roads directly around the stadium at 2:30pm?

• Like 6

5 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Living on Luckwell Road I'm happy to confirm that parking has now become pretty much shite all week long, not just on matchdays. I don't know what we'd do without the gems at BCC ❤️.

2 hours ago, pillred said:

Not for that price

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’d like to know their rationale behind these recent restrictions. It’s seem unnecessarily punitive to me.

The Council has no interest in Football, or helping people to and from the ground. They don't care about traffic jams, in fact I'd say they seem to encourage them. Why else would they close traffic lanes for bikes/scooters ? In fact why would they encourage scooters at all. If you doubt that, why would they open £120m on a Bus service that only covers 3 routes, and go close but not serve a venue that gets approaching 20,000 people every week.  They could open Ashton station, but no. The council are a waste of space. First bus's monopoly doesn't help either.

52 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Quite. I can just see myself charging my 75 year old mum and 11 year old son £3.33 each per game!

Of course you wouldn't. It should be £5 , driver doesn't pay surely ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Have never once paid for parking and never walked more than 15-20 mins to ground. No idea why people have such a big issue over it - loads of parking knocking around if you are prepared to walk a mile ish to ground.

It depends which direction you’re coming from, where you go after the match, if you want a pint, and which way you go home. 

4 hours ago, pillred said:

The park and ride is cheaper, easier to drive to (not stuck in a tonne of traffic)  and drops you off right outside the ground. The cricket club probably takes just as long to get out from after the game also, as everyone’s trying to cram through a couple of gates. I just find the bus a more chilled experience.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Well. A lot of fans seem to think it's OK to park wherever they want and however dangerously they want. So I get it. But the net result is obviously much less parking available on Duckmoor, Smyth etc etc 

1 hour ago, Stedge said:

The park and ride is cheaper, easier to drive to (not stuck in a tonne of traffic)  and drops you off right outside the ground. The cricket club probably takes just as long to get out from after the game also, as everyone’s trying to cram through a couple of gates. I just find the bus a more chilled experience.

The park and ride is great...for getting to the ground.  Getting home is not so good.  I used to use the Portway P&R regularly and I found that unless you got on the bus or buses already waiting at the stop (by the Robins pub) then you had a wait of maybe 50 minutes while the buses fight through the traffic on Winterstoke Rd and then run down to the P&R site and return.  To get on the buses waiting at the stop meant leaving at least 5 minutes before the end of the match,  the final straw was after a night game where we waited in the pouring rain for nearly an hour and it was so cold and wet an elderly gentleman waiting collapsed and an ambulance had to be called.  When the bus finally came it pulled up with the door by the back of the queue and those at the back piled on leaving those at the front who had waited the longest to wait even longer for another bus.

I haven't used it since.

3 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

The park and ride is great...for getting to the ground.  Getting home is not so good.  I used to use the Portway P&R regularly and I found that unless you got on the bus or buses already waiting at the stop (by the Robins pub) then you had a wait of maybe 50 minutes while the buses fight through the traffic on Winterstoke Rd and then run down to the P&R site and return.  To get on the buses waiting at the stop meant leaving at least 5 minutes before the end of the match,  the final straw was after a night game where we waited in the pouring rain for nearly an hour and it was so cold and wet an elderly gentleman waiting collapsed and an ambulance had to be called.  When the bus finally came it pulled up with the door by the back of the queue and those at the back piled on leaving those at the front who had waited the longest to wait even longer for another bus.

I haven't used it since.

Yeah  getting home is definitely the worst part, especially when the away team have just smashed in a last minute winner.?

25 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I haven't used it since.

I found it absolutely bizarre that they had the post-game stop on Winterstoke Road. Assume that’s still happening.

Why don’t they us the bus lay-by on the Bedminster Cricket Club side of the dual carriageway, by the roundabout? As easy to access for passengers and far, far easier for buses to get in/out the vicinity of the ground and on to The Portway.

Just sums up the limp-wristed efforts of those who are responsible for delivering public transport in Bristol and why the vast majority still elect to use their own private vehicles. It’s probably organised by the same numb skull who has responsibility for sorting a match day parking agreement at the LA park and ride. 

• Like 2

It wasn`t really that long ago that it was possible to park anywhere in Bower Ashton, along Winterstoke Road, around the Cumberland Basin, half way up Rownham Hill and countless other places. I`ve even parked on the ramp at the end of Winterstoke up to the flyover many years ago.

I don`t recall there ever being any problems with accidents, congestion or anything else back then.

• Like 1