IGNORED

House sale money

Fiale

I was hoping someone might know. My partner and her ex have finally got around to selling their home that she lived in with her husband. They had been together for 15 ish years, and own the house. The house deeds are however in her husband's name, and even though they both wanted the house sale proceeds to goto her, and for her to then settle all their debts and split the money, they are saying they will only send the money to him.

Is this a legal requirement ? It's just that the closer the house is coming to completion, he has started making worrying signs that he won't be splitting the house sale, which will see her and the kids rather... Well to be honest screwed going forward.

Does anyone know if there is a good reason the money can't be sent to her ?

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

I was hoping someone might know. My partner and her ex have finally got around to selling their home that she lived in with her husband. They had been together for 15 ish years, and own the house. The house deeds are however in her husband's name, and even though they both wanted the house sale proceeds to goto her, and for her to then settle all their debts and split the money, they are saying they will only send the money to him.

Is this a legal requirement ? It's just that the closer the house is coming to completion, he has started making worrying signs that he won't be splitting the house sale, which will see her and the kids rather... Well to be honest screwed going forward.

If they were married then it should be pretty straight forward to get everything arranged legally before the sale goes through.  As the poster above says though, time is definitely not on your side so I would agree that seeing a solicitor ASAP is vital.

I assume she no longer lives in the house but if she does and can delay the sale in any way then I would suggest doing that.  Being 'out' when surveyors come round etc...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fiale said:

Sounds to me like he's played mr nice guy and is now going to take everything.  Tell her not to leave the house until the deeds are changed.