IGNORED

Nige is back!

ChippenhamRed

How  I’m thinking after this interview.  

He’s been off, now recovered/given the all clear.  Reasons he doesn’t want to make public.

I think they’ve had a meeting over the international break.  The club has is back and agree on his assessment.

The bad apples will be squeezed to make way.  I’m sure they’ve not been told, and they are all thinking is it me.

(I also think we have some deals done for January.) 

Now we will see if it works.   Prove me wrong gentlemen is what been put out there.  

Anyone who’s worth their salt would want to prove you wrong.  if they don’t want to listen, learn a bit  and show what they are made of,  then close the door on your way out..

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Don’t think Johnson had significantly more investment than Pearson tbf. Also don’t forget we sold Kodjia that season right at the start for £11m. Tammy as with most loans would have been a punt and the only player who he bought for any real money was Tomlin £3m and pato £1m?

I get really frustrated with the constant Johnson had more money- yes while he did make some significant signings, but he also had to deal with our best players being sold every year.

Lee will very soon be exiting "stage left" & saying his goodbye's at Sunderland....

Intimate knowledge of BCFC....

Our new 'DOF?? ?

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Did anybody the the impression from the press conference that he may "try to" get rid of some players????? -

Yes I did.

He certainly wasn't holding back.... Lets just hope its only 3 or 4 maximum bad apples and he's not losing the whole dressing room.... 

13 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

To be fair that is easy to say and difficult to do.

Also implies there are problems behind the scenes with obviously unhappy players.

It isn't that hard, you put people to work and get them to do the things everyone else is doing and no special treatment, if they don't want to do the work everyone else is doing or want special treatment then they will move on, if the punishments (training with the U23s ect) apply to everyone then they haven't got a leg to stand on.

Yeah there are obviously problems behind the scenes, we don't end up in this position playing the way we are if there aren't problems, Nige obviously see's the problems the test is can he fix them - he's experienced enough that my money would be on him even with all the player power.

TBH if players think they are bigger than the club or want special treatment I want a manger that gives them a reality check rather than pandering to there demands. I recall Wilbs podcast appearance where the moment he pinpointed the promotion squad cohesion and squad dynamics broke down was because LJ allowed Tomlin special treatment.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Pezo said:

It isn't that hard, you put people to work and get them to do the things everyone else is doing and no special treatment, if they don't want to do the work everyone else is doing or want special treatment then they will move on, if the punishments (training with the U23s ect) apply to everyone then they haven't got a leg to stand on.

Yeah there are obviously problems behind the scenes, we don't end up in this position playing the way we are if there aren't problems, Nige obviously see's the problems the test is can he fix them - he's experienced enough that my money would be on him even with all the player power.

TBH if players think they are bigger than the club or want special treatment I want a manger that gives them a reality check rather than pandering to there demands. I recall Wilbs podcast appearance where the moment he pinpointed the promotion squad cohesion and squad dynamics broke down was because LJ allowed Tomlin special treatment.

Not sure there are players wanting "special treatment" or making demands.

We have all been in jobs where the new manager comes in with the "I'm going to shake this lot up" attitude and it never goes well.

I was in one job where a knob came in with that attitude, lost us all in the first day and was gone within a couple of months.

As a nation we do seem obsessed with a shouty, bullying management style, linked to our "forelock tugging" culture I guess.

It is odd.

44 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

It's a split dressing room.

Which you are bound to get with his management style.

The key is not getting relegated whilst you "burn everything thing to the ground"  to rebuild with your type of player.

The talk of one or two individuals not being "on the bus" is wide of the mark IMO.

Try six or seven. 

As you can be so specific as to know it's 6 or 7, perhaps you could name them for us... 

Even if there are 6 or 7 players that don't "get on" with Nige, which is entirely possible, then I don't think that equates to a split dressing room. To my mind, a split dressing room would be one where there is a clique or divide between the players (an obvious example which springs to mind is the England squad from 2002-2010 ish with its Liverpool/United/London clubs divide). I don't believe that it's the case at City currently. 

Worth mentioning as well that there have been at least several "unhappy" players at City inherited by Nige I.e. the problem definitely existed before he arrived. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Will believe it when I see it. He’s been here what, 10 months….? And he hasn’t made a shred of difference yet 

Needs to start backing up his comments with visable change 

I like Pearson and am not ‘Pearson Out’ - but I think a big reason why he still holds a fair bit of favour with the fans is because he says lots of things fans want to hear. 

Holden just spoke rubbish, Johnson wound people up with his cliches and technical speak and even Cotterill grated on some by being a bit petulant. Pearson doesn’t pull punches and says what lots of fans seem to agree on. That’s definitely helped him. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

As you can be so specific as to know it's 6 or 7, perhaps you could name them for us... 

Even if there are 6 or 7 players that don't "get on" with Nige, which is entirely possible, then I don't think that equates to a split dressing room. To my mind, a split dressing room would be one where there is a clique or divide between the players (an obvious example which springs to mind is the England squad from 2002-2010 ish with its Liverpool/United/London clubs divide). I don't believe that it's the case at City currently. 

Worth mentioning as well that there have been at least several "unhappy" players at City inherited by Nige I.e. the problem definitely existed before he arrived. 

I admire your positive spin on the situation.

And I am hopeful that all is not lost but NP is playing a dangerous game with the "divide and conquer" tactics.

Maybe the ones he doesn't want move on when requested and he can bring in the types he says he needs and we start to compete in games.

Interesting few weeks ahead for sure.

Hopefully we will at least see some of the Academy players in the team for Saturday.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I like Pearson and am not ‘Pearson Out’ - but I think a big reason why he still holds a fair bit of favour with the fans is because he says lots of things fans want to hear. 

Holden just spoke rubbish, Johnson wound people up with his cliches and technical speak and even Cotterill grated on some by being a bit petulant. Pearson doesn’t pull punches and says what lots of fans seem to agree on. That’s definitely helped him. 

Spot on. 

Defiantly bought him time. 

39 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

We have all been in jobs where the new manager comes in with the "I'm going to shake this lot up" attitude and it never goes well.

I was in one job where a knob came in with that attitude, lost us all in the first day and was gone within a couple of months.

As a nation we do seem obsessed with a shouty, bullying management style, linked to our "forelock tugging" culture I guess.

It is odd.

Have you watched the interview. Grant me some artistic license - Players want pandering to. If that's not some players wanting special treatment then I don't know what is.

I don't think he is the shouty bullying type - what it sounds like is that he is very clear and if they can't do it he will put the effort into helping them. If they have a bad attitude then buy buy with zero malice - it's just the way it is. It's the way it has to be if we're going to do anything.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Have you watched the interview. Grant me some artistic license - Players want pandering to. If that's not some players wanting special treatment then I don't know what is.

I don't think he is the shouty bullying type - what it sounds like is that he is very clear and if they can't do it he will put the effort into helping them. If they have a bad attitude then buy buy with zero malice - it's just the way it is. It's the way it has to be if we're going to do anything.

Ah O.K.

I disagree.

16 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I laughed at this, but I used to come home from games in tears.

You and me both. However, those dark days in 80's the were also some of the most memorable and not just because of the dire situation. Time can cloud things a bit but I've never felt closer to my beloved City that through those times. A feeling that we were all in it together and we all had a common goal which was initially just to survive. I'm glad I was there to go through those times as it makes the current negative times look like a walk in the park!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

Just watched the long version interview - by heck he's not pulling any punches. Gonna make him or break him I would imagine. I posted a few weeks back that while I'm still in the NP in camp, he does seem to using up a lot of excuses or citing other factors for poor performances. At some point that runs out and the finger will point squarely at him (which he alluded to in some respects), but we aren't far from a reckoning on his continued tenure here I would suggest. He needs results and fast. 

Think that’s largely fair.

Also think it is pretty obvious from his demeanour & track record he genuinely doesn’t give a **** what others think.

Not so sure about the excuses bit, think he states very clearly we should be doing better & that he accepts responsibility for that, but wants all the players to do so as well.

Across his spell in charge (he does so again in this interview with both Kalas & Baker) he often name checks those who he is clearly happy with, so you don’t need to be Sherlock Homes to identify the ones that he never mentions.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Where are the divide and conquer tactics ? Where is he the shouty type ? Yet again you portray your opinion as fact . It is ok to have an opinion but you constantly convert that into fact when in reality you are talking without any knowledge and are talking total nonsense . Again. 

I didn’t read their post as stating a fact but merely pondering a thought. Am I missing something? 
Apologies, I’m trying to follow this thread, and possibly getting it all wrong because I’m interpreting many of the posts in an incorrect way! ?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

And the stress of spending more money than anyone in history of our club . Have you not seen what he spent ! When did he have to reduce the wage bill by a third ? Pearson is closer to the situation SOD inherited . LJ was given the keys to the cash pot and with MA made a total hash of it . How people think anyone in a few months resolves 4 years of reckless spending is beyond me . Pearson could be doing better , no doubt . But put anyone in charge and the issues remain the same . Too many not wanting to wake up to the reality . Normally this car crash would have resulted in relegation . Then fans realise where we are . We are facing the same challenge but trying to resolve it but also by staying in the league this time. It’s not pretty and needs patience . 

Look at nett spend. He recouped a lot of what he spent. Improved players values under his coaching. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Quite a risky game insinuating that Pearson is a bully @VT05763  A nasty accusation in this day and age

We see him in the image above being embraced with a hug by Baker, he was loved by his players at Leicester and Watford, but yes I am sure you know best...

"As a nation we do seem obsessed with a shouty, bullying management style, linked to our "forelock tugging" culture I guess".  =  Not accusing any individual of being a bully.

And yes, some people thrive in this work place atmosphere and culture. It has it's uses for sure.

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Look at nett spend. He recouped a lot of what he spent. Improved players values under his coaching. 

Careful, 

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Quite a risky game insinuating that Pearson is a bully @VT05763  A nasty accusation in this day and age

We see him in the image above being embraced with a hug by Baker, he was loved by his players at Leicester and Watford, but yes I am sure you know best...

Schmeichel: “He built the infrastructure of the club. He built an amazing atmosphere. A lot of the people that he brought in are still there.

“He deserves huge credit for what Leicester is today and what Leicester achieved from what he put in place and how he built the club up.

“He was a very pivotal figure. I captained my first game under him. He made me vice-captain. He put a lot of faith in me.

“As a person he really cared about his players. He still does, he still cares. He treats them like his own children. He looks after you. You could always go to him with anything and that was amazing for me.”

Leicester defender Wes Morgan said: "Nigel is a wonderful, kind man who I have the upmost respect for.

"From when I first spoke to Nigel and joined Leicester, we clicked and got on very well.

"He made me feel that I was more than just a player but more like part of his family. 

I'm very thankful for the opportunities Nigel has brought for me, and I owe a lot of my success to him."

Manager Chris Powell added: "Nigel is a mentor of mine and gave me my first opportunity in coaching. He has an extensive knowledge of the game, is a natural leader, with first-class man management skills."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 games in a week with 3 forwards in their 30s means to me that they are rotated over the 3 games. Apart from the Christmas week, there are no midweek games until February so after Sheff U it should be possible to keep a more settled side as there will be a full week of recovery time.  We should be targeting the Hull and Derby games - they are hugely important.

I would love to see Semenyo start. We have not been running at players in wide areas much and he could make a difference.  I hope we now stick to a back 4.  Mood was that Atkinson is either not 100% or Nige isn't too pleased with him for one reason or another.

Bentley

Vyner/Simpson  Kalas  Baker Pring

Massengo  Bakinson Williams  Semenyo

Martin Weimann

7 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

"As a nation we do seem obsessed with a shouty, bullying management style, linked to our "forelock tugging" culture I guess".  =  Not accusing any individual of being a bully.

And yes, some people thrive in this work place atmosphere and culture. It has it's uses for sure.

This is a thread about Nigel Pearson, so who else were you referring to? You responded to a poster saying they didn't think Pearson was a shouty type or a bully by saying "I disagree". You have said he is using "divide and conquer tactics" and that the dressing room is split with "6 or 7 players" not on board with the manager.

You think he's a bully, don't you? At least have the balls to stick up for your convictions...

• Like 3

I think he gives everyone a chance and expects them to grab it.

He talked up Palmer in the Summer, gave him a few starts but failed to deliver what he wanted. If this under-performance was just a Nige-related problem I’d be worried, but it seems to be a re-occurring theme under different management regimes and styles.

So, I’m with Nige. For way too long we’ve had a soft underbelly, been incredibly inconsistent and lacking in any form of identity. 

Would be expecting by now some team character to be developing, some improvement but maybe the rot set into the core. Let’s hope the January window is our saviour. Notoriously difficult window though, so let’s hope there is a plan in place to shift the wasters and bring in some real talent with heart and desire. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

The 'Hunchback of Notre Dame would be more suited to our 'type' of football ?

Not a bad suggestion. It would be good for Han-Noah to have another French player in the squad and maybe Cisse has been out in Notre Dame scouting?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Don’t think Johnson had significantly more investment than Pearson tbf. Also don’t forget we sold Kodjia that season right at the start for £11m. Tammy as with most loans would have been a punt and the only player who he bought for any real money was Tomlin £3m and pato £1m?

I get really frustrated with the constant Johnson had more money- yes while he did make some significant signings, but he also had to deal with our best players being sold every year.

Whattttttttt!!! I’m flabbergasted ???

image.png.1eb298be3bab213d5286e0b1a5f73b7d.png

Jeez….plus he would’ve only netted circa £6.5m-£7.0m for Kodjia, due to Angers sell-on.  £13.4m / 21 players, wage bill increase of £2.5m (20%), amortisation cost increase of £3.1m p.a. (133%)

2 hours ago, VT05763 said:

It's a split dressing room.

Which you are bound to get with his management style.

The key is not getting relegated whilst you "burn everything thing to the ground"  to rebuild with your type of player.

The talk of one or two individuals not being "on the bus" is wide of the mark IMO.

Try six or seven. 

What is his management style in your opinion.

2 hours ago, VT05763 said:

It is odd.

Indeed, Nige didn’t say they did, just that they didn’t want to be here.

Has Nige come in and “shook it up” then?  How do you know?

Why do you think Nige is shouty, bully?  The player interviews seem to suggest he’s actually quite a cuddly character.  Think you’re mistaking his persona with the media at times.

Of course if you can back this up, then that is something we can reflect upon and maybe adjust our view.

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Not the old nett spend argument again ???

Player values did increase, I’m sure some of that was down to him….but how do you explain the many players whose values didn’t increase?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not the old nett spend argument again ???

Player values did increase, I’m sure some of that was down to him….but how do you explain the many players whose values didn’t increase?

Amazes me people still try and defend Johnson and his/MA’s scattergun transfer dealings. Of course he improved or enhanced some players but he also had the biggest budget in the clubs history ? any other club in this division with those resources would of been at the very least finishing in the top 6 each season.

• Like 7