IGNORED

Nige is back!

ChippenhamRed

17 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Did LJ actually want KP? I got the impression he didn’t, and was a Mashton signing?

I could be wrong. 

I got the impression that there wasn’t any cohesion or collaboration on the recruitment side, between LJ and those higher up

One of my acquaintances (who Harry and RobK) know is a staunch LJ supporter and was involved at City for a while, and he tells me Palmer was an LJ signing.  I see no reason to doubt that.  Just like Tomlin, LJ thought he could “tame him”….so I’m pretty sure LJ wanted him - “give me a pre-season with Kasey….”.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

I know there have been rumours online which I won’t put here as I don’t wanna get banned, but heard today from multiple sources that those rumours are bang on the money. It seems off the pitch we are as much if not more of a mess than on it. 

So the rumours are confirmed as true by the starter of the rumours, or somebody who has read the rumours that were started by somebody else and continued to spread the rumours etc etc.

an unofficial interesting story or piece of news that might be true or invented, and quickly spreads from person to person:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

I know there have been rumours online which I won’t put here as I don’t wanna get banned, but heard today from multiple sources that those rumours are bang on the money. It seems off the pitch we are as much if not more of a mess than on it. 

Which would explain the performances, confidence, cohesion, concentration etc on the pitch. I think we all know from our own working lives that toxic people impact overall performance of a team or organisation.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

One of my acquaintances (who Harry and RobK) know is a staunch LJ supporter and was involved at City for a while, and he tells me Palmer was an LJ signing.  I see no reason to doubt that.  Just like Tomlin, LJ thought he could “tame him”….so I’m pretty sure LJ wanted him - “give me a pre-season with Kasey….”.

Did he play him though? Or was he not fit

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Did he play him though? Or was he not fit

Yep. Then he bombed him out.  Those early games in a 352 alongside Brownhill and Massengo, with Weimann and Afobe were probably as entertaining as we saw in the last 2 seasons of LJ.  Palmer was playing well, then, LJ being LJ changed to back 4 and Palmer rarely featured.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

So the rumours are confirmed as true by the starter of the rumours, or somebody who has read the rumours that were started by somebody else and continued to spread the rumours etc etc.

an unofficial interesting story or piece of news that might be true or invented, and quickly spreads from person to person:

I’ve heard it too, from within the club.  I have absolutely no reason to doubt that what I have been told (and previously posted on OTIB) is 100% true.

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’ve heard it too, from within the club.  I have absolutely no reason to doubt that what I have been told (and previously posted on OTIB) is 100% true.

I had no reason to doubt that the person who told me “Nige gone” was right (his source from within the club too)…but it proved to be wrong.

It kept OTIB busy over a dull international break though. ??

In fairness has a rumour ever NOT referenced as initially being from “within the club”?

Edited by Davefevs

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I had no reason to doubt that the person who told me “Nige gone” was right (his source from within the club too)…but it proved to be wrong.

I think he may well have been gone, but then things can change very quickly in employment law 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

The Fulham 0-0 games sticks in my mind as does a 4-2 (? win v Wimdledon in the 4th when I believe we took out their goalie, and another game in the 4th v York - I think Alan Hay was playing for them - it was a night game I think we got 10,000 (well, it was a big gate considering our plight) and a 1-0 win.

IIRC the Wimbledon game was on the day when we had created a piece of footballing history. We had gone from 5th in the old Div 1 to bottom of the professional football league in successive seasons. I think there were only 4,200 of us there that day as well. 

The York game was on a Friday night. An amazing atmosphere. Wasn't much of a game but we secured the points to go top.

• Like 1

On 19/11/2021 at 10:30, Davefevs said:

Not the old nett spend argument again ???

Player values did increase, I’m sure some of that was down to him….but how do you explain the many players whose values didn’t increase?

I think you also need to ask, how many of those younger players signed, would have increased in value regardless of whether Johnson was coaching them.

Or, could they have been further improved by another coach, along with the failures, netting even greater increase in value. All speculative pointless arguments. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

I think you also need to ask, how many of those younger players signed, would have increased in value regardless of whether Johnson was coaching them.

Or, could they have been further improved by another coach, along with the failures, netting even greater increase in value. All speculative pointless arguments. 

I have many times….players like Brownhill, don’t get me wrong I’m sure LJ had an influence, but he seemed incredibly driven to improve himself.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I have many times….players like Brownhill, don’t get me wrong I’m sure LJ had an influence, but he seemed incredibly driven to improve himself.

My post wasn't directed at you, more so those that attribute LJ to their improvements. Players improve naturally with age and experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ciderwithtommy said:

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

In fairness has a rumour ever NOT referenced as initially being from “within the club”?

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Annoyingly the only time I became aware of any rumours was only after  the thread was withdrawn and I read the Mod's warnings so I haven't a clue what they were but can make an educated guess based on otib protocol.

I doubt there has been so much smoke without some sort of fire but I dont care if he's been out dog walking with Darrell Clarke or partying in Flint spirit so long as he is taking BCFC in the right direction. 7 wins in 32 matches is long enough to give me the general opinion that he , for whatever reason, is not delivering and when you sack your main coaching staff, continue to play increasingly badly and then publicly state you are going to get rid of (sack) a number of the first team then it just confirms that he is less the solution but more part of the problem. IMO.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

In fairness, he had, just not forever…it was an easy mistake for someone to come to that conclusion. You can imagine someone being overheard saying “he’s gone” and the other person missing the rest…

• Like 2

On 19/11/2021 at 14:01, Kid in the Riot said:

I think like many managers, Pearson has gone away, reassessed and changed some aspects of his management style though. "Bullying" is a significant accusation, which I don't believe is tolerated in the modern dressing room. No doubt he had fallings out at Leicester with existing squad members (was Mills the one he allegedly punched in the stomach?!) but that was many years ago. 

Some of my info comes from your former journo up there - Ian Baker - the man responsible for your username. He told me that the players at Leicester overwhelmingly spoke highly of him and felt great loyalty to him. Bullying certainly wasn't mentioned as a trait, more firm and fair. But if you are not with him and where he wants to go, then it's true to say you will not last long. 

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, the period where Ian Baker was around the vast majority did (there'll always be some issues), but certainly not when he first came back which is the comparable situation. Some people would think he's a bully, some people won't, depends on your viewpoint. There's no allegedly about it, he did headbutt Matt Mills and whilst I think it was Ben Marshall who basically said Mills deserved it, it's not really the best behaviour from a manager to one the players in the squad but ultimately the whole dynamic was needed for long term success.

On 20/11/2021 at 02:36, Taylor10 said:

Some good points@Mr Popodopolous

I completely agree RE budget not always determining fortune and I recognise that we have not been able to pay anywhere near the wages of a lot of clubs in this division, throughout LJ’s reign and of course even more so now.

My point regarding resources though isn’t just around wages or transfer fees as such. I include player turn over in and out in that, as well as loans.
I guess you could refer back to the old ‘clubs in the bag approach’ as well whereby if say we as City fans, hypothetically speaking if we were looking at another champ club spending those transfer fees, recouping fees at a rate the manager can then go and heavily reinvest back in the playing squad having such a high volume of player incomings from fees, loans and free transfers I think we would quite rightly be saying said club should be at least finishing in the play offs, so why not us, even with the wage restriction in comparison?

To clarify my point, which I should of eluded to in my post was mainly about the resources LJ had going into the 19/20 season. Any other club, even if unable to spend the top wages, after recruiting so many players and spending so much in transfer fees (although LJ earned the right to do that) would have been at the very least expected to finish in the top 6, so to get nowhere near is quite astounding and in turn brings us to where we are today.
I just can’t help but feel any other club in this division, that was in our/LJ’s/MA’s position at the start of that season and of course going into Jan still able to reinvest so heavily would be expecting to finish at least top 6, so again I ask why not us? To have not got anywhere near was criminal really.

Agree to the extent was that he got everything he wanted and top 6 was the goal so no excuses that we missed it...think SL said as much but not in so many words as he said he saw 2019/20 as a missed opportunity.

Yes agreed, player turnover was crazy for a time! In and out...it's costly and it wrecks cohesion. I see where you are going with it, perhaps a bit of quality and quantity debate.

Duplication as others have mentioned- Palmer and Szmodics is an example I remember on here.

I do see what you mean a bit more now, having read it again- not least with a backdrop of steady improvement, combined with him getting everything he asked for in the summer and January...yeah perhaps we should have. I think for differing reasons though that 2017/18 and 2018/19 were perhaps bigger missed opportunities.