IGNORED

Who are these players?

dunsteral

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I honestly think we have some players with very poor football intelligence.  The ones with good FI to support their playing skills have left us behind!

I fear you are right. Quite how players get to this level without the pretty basic understanding of defending in a 4-4-2 as I described it is beyond me though.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Dasilva is a class player and will show that if he goes to a team that suits his game more than we do. We aren't the right team for him imo.

For that reason I think Pearson will look to move him on. Doubt we would get much for him though. But then surely replacing him shouldn't cost much either.

Dasilva has been nowhere near the player he has been previously when fit. On loan but also in 19/20 in his first season as a permanent player he was much better than this.

I would say though that most players are not playing to their best this season. Apart from maybe Bentley and Kalas I cant think of anyone else.

Agreed.........I can see New Zealands Hobbiton FC coming in for him? ....... Sorry to be flippant, but does Jay really look like a 3 mill ex Chelsea player?

Edited by maxjak

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not saying this is the side I’d pick tomorrow, but if Nige went with this, I’m not sure there could be too many excuses for not getting a performance (result is a different matter).

Bentley

Kalas | Baker | Atkinson | Pring

Semenyo | Williams | Massengo | O’Dowda 

Weimann | Martin

Lots if people complain about a lack of quality, but to me thats a standard average midtable championship side on paper?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Agreed.........I can see New Zealands Hobbiton FC coming in for him? ....... Sorry to be flippant, but does Jay really look like a 3 mill ex Chelsea player?

No, he doesnt, dont know if its his shins that have taken a yard of pace off him, but like palmer, if we could get his wages off the books at this point, that wouldnt be a bad outcome in my view

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I fear you are right. Quite how players get to this level without the pretty basic understanding of defending in a 4-4-2 as I described it is beyond me though.

I think a lot of players “get by” through age group football on talent / skill or sometimes physicality….and then everything starts to even put as they get into senior football.  Then the brain starts to have a bearing.  Can they take on instruction?  Can they then adapt that instruction to the real-time situation in matches?  Some can’t.  I see some players looking lost on the pitch.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I actually think he will do well elsewhere at this level. Agree with many though that this season he's playing nowhere near as well as he can

I am not sure that there is not a mentality issue here. He had consistent shin splint issues, and maybe that is still affecting him, if not physically but mentally. For sure he has been very disappointing of late and gets targeted by the opposition.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Lots if people complain about a lack of quality, but to me thats a standard average midtable championship side on paper?

We are only one win off mid table too!  Don’t get me wrong the current trend is poor, but I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom either.

Really hoping these next 3 games show us in a positive light.

Having missed the Barnsley win as I was ill, I can’t wait for tomorrow.  Tough game though, but not one we should fear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not saying this is the side I’d pick tomorrow, but if Nige went with this, I’m not sure there could be too many excuses for not getting a performance (result is a different matter).

Bentley

Semenyo | Williams | Massengo | O’Dowda 

Weimann | Martin

I actually think tomorrow’s side will be very close to this.

At the back though I wouldn’t be shocked to see Simpson start, because he’s the only natural RB that is fit & the alternative sees our only right footed (& our best) CB have to play out of position. Plus how fit is Atkinson in reality?

In midfield I think it’s a toss up between HNM & Bakinson but people who I trust say Tyreeq was one of the better performers v Coventry so unless it is based on what has gone on in training since (of which I have no idea) he would deserve another chance.

Been completely wrong before, mind.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I actually think tomorrow’s side will be very close to this.

At the back though I wouldn’t be shocked to see Simpson start, because he’s the only natural RB that is fit & the alternative sees our only right footed (& our best) CB have to play out of position. Plus how fit is Atkinson in reality?

In midfield I think it’s a toss up between HNM & Bakinson but people who I trust say Tyreeq was one of the better performers v Coventry so unless it is based on what has gone on in training since (of which I have no idea) he would deserve another chance.

Been completely wrong before, mind.

Bakinson definitely played better than Massengo v Cov, but (not really a but) we played a 4141 which suited him.

Id happily see that system again.

Bentley

Bakinson

Weimann | Williams | Massengo | O’Dowda 

Martin

Something like this ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bakinson definitely played better than Massengo v Cov, but (not really a but) we played a 4141 which suited him.

Bentley

Bakinson

Martin

Bakinson really impressed me in that role against Coventry. With Williams and Massengo in front of him I really like that. 

For me, I don’t think our best side has both Martin and Weimann in it. Like to see Semenyo in at some point but get it is possibly a bit too early for a start. 

I’d rather Scott than O’Dowda but COD did play well last time out. 

All in all, I’d go into tomorrow with some hope of a result with that lineup. 

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Bakinson really impressed me in that role against Coventry. With Williams and Massengo in front of him I really like that. 

For me, I don’t think our best side has both Martin and Weimann in it. Like to see Semenyo in at some point but get it is possibly a bit too early for a start. 

I think what it gives us is a bit of flexibility.

Ahead of Pre-season with the players we had I thought we’d play a 4231, but over the friendlies the 442 emerged.

If you take the 4141, suddenly you don’t have to burn Martin out, James, Williams or Bakinson could play the 1, etc, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VT05763 said:

Yes !

It is a worry that we seem unable to fix this issue.

As a Club we are very good at creating problems on the pitch. We are very bad at solving them.

I’m far from convinced personally, despite Nige telling us at every opportunity, that we are a particularly fit side. That must be one of the easier of our problems to fix. 

Interesting that there was no update, unless I missed it, from our fitness coach this international break. 

3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

As a Club we are very good at creating problems on the pitch. We are very bad at solving them.

I’m far from convinced personally, despite Nige telling us at every opportunity, that we are a particularly fit side. That must be one of the easier of our problems to fix. 

Interesting that there was no update, unless I missed it, from our fitness coach this international break. 

I think we run more than we need to, because we are poor positionally. Go back to LJ’s halcyon late autumn / early winter in 17/18 - busy bees.  We laughed but they swarmed around in what they made a condensed part of the pitch, so they didn’t need to make lung-busting 30-40 yard runs.

It is something that can be corrected by personnel changes, and improved tactics and / or tactical awareness.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I think we run more than we need to, because we are poor positionally. Go back to LJ’s halcyon late autumn / early winter in 17/18 - busy bees.  We laughed but they swarmed around in what they made a condensed part of the pitch, so they didn’t need to make lung-busting 30-40 yard runs.

It is something that can be corrected by personnel changes, and improved tactics and / or tactical awareness.

We run more than we need because we don’t have the ball and when we do we can’t keep it. 

Our passing is poor in general our movement is iffy leading to as you say being poor positionally. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You are spot on but why has it not been corrected ?

Edited by VT05763

2 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

You are spot on but why has it not been corrected ?

I might not be spot on, it’s only my opinion.

If I could spend a week at HPC and see the staff and players in action, how Nige etc prepares them, etc.,  I might be able to answer you a.

In part I think when we have most of our best group of players on the pitch I think you’ll see some of those problems ironed out.

We are seeing that injuries to key players highlights inadequacy in our squad.  There are some good players, you can carry a couple / few, but a few can’t carry four or five.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bentley

Bakinson

Martin

Swap Weimann for Martin and put in Semenyo and I would be happy

6 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I must be missing something with Wells, because a lot of people have him flagged as one of the bad apples and I've genuinely not seen it.

Of course he's on high wages with minimal resale value and might be difficult to move on, but that's a different argument entirely.

Touting to join QPR doesnt help his cause .

• Like 1

I want to love Jay DS. But he is probably one of the most frustrating players in the squad. 

He has quick feet..  I mean quick. It will get him out of trouble most of the time. But it's the very reason he needs them to be. 

Picks the wrong pass in danger areas. Doesn't track back hard enough out of possession. Doesn't put body on the line to cut out crosses. You can see teams target that area of the pitch. 

Is it awareness? I am not sure. He will get you out of your seat and at times is unplayable at this level. Then within 30 secs will undo all that hard work. 

I don't think he applies himself enough to the task he has. Undoubtedly a talent. 

Personally I don't see him as a full back, he is not a midfielder either. He is a puzzle to be worked out... Perhaps for another manager. 

Pure speculation of course. 

Edited by WayOutWest
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, frenchred said:

He's come out with the same rhetoric before and picked exactly the same team as previous

Sadly true, if he picks the same again he will lose whatever credibility he has left. The likes of Vyner, DaSilva, COD should not even be on the bench. Picking all 3 of Weimann, Wells & Martin is another mistake repeated over and over. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, YCbrs said:

I’m no expert but I think the criticism towards Bakinson is unfair. He’s still pretty young and is basically our only all round midfielder, I think with some better midfielders around him and the right striker making decent runs occasionally he could look much more accomplished as a deep lying playmaker as he has an eye for an interception too.

Bakinson suffers the same as all our central midfielders because almost all the time, whatever the supposed formation, we end up with 2 in central midfield up against at least 3 from the opps. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Sadly true, if he picks the same again he will lose whatever credibility he has left. The likes of Vyner, DaSilva, COD should not even be on the bench. Picking all 3 of Weimann, Wells & Martin is another mistake repeated over and over. 

Wells has only started 5 games out of 17 so that’s hardly a mistake being repeated over & over.

If the 3 you named above weren’t even on the bench, with Tanner, James & King all missing through injury as well we would barely have a full subs bench.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

The problem for me is that I think we have 14 or 15 very decent Championship quality players but I don’t think it is easy to shape a coherent team out of them.  I don’t think we have a great striker pairing which ever combo we go for and - whilst it might be a combination of Williams, James and Massengo could deliver in midfield - that is very much an untested hypothesis given that they are never all fit at the same time…

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

COD played well for 45 mins and then completely went missing for the whole of the 2nd half, how he was not subbed off was just down to Flemings abysmal game management. Give me Scott any day over COD.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think a lot of players “get by” through age group football on talent / skill or sometimes physicality….and then everything starts to even put as they get into senior football.  Then the brain starts to have a bearing.  Can they take on instruction?  Can they then adapt that instruction to the real-time situation in matches?  Some can’t.  I see some players looking lost on the pitch.

I sometimes wonder if many of our squad can actually read a game as it's progressing. Can they spot a potential weakness in the opposition and exploit it  or are they playing exactly to instructions with no freedom to go off plan at all. I've  noticed to many of them looking at the bench for instructions rather than playing a natural game.  Anyone who's played will know that every attack or defensive move will be different in some respects. Sometimes you have to improvise rather than follow "the plan". Our players either can't or won't.  They are so afraid of making a mistake that they continually take the safe option , and the momentum is lost. I think we are not necessarily a poor side, but we are boring and very predictable to watch.

• Like 1