IGNORED

Blackburn Rovers home match day thread

Welcome back to match day fellow Reds, here’s hoping the International break will magically transform our season, ok so more realistically the break has served to give time for injured and knackered players to have recovered. It has been a turbulent time for us given Nigel’s health issues, simply great to see him back at the coalface on Thursday.

If you fancy going today and haven’t got a ticket: https://tickets.bristol-sport.co.uk/categories/bristolcityfchome

Here’s the programme: https://robinstv.bcfc.co.uk/digital-matchday-programme/

Last Sunday Bristol City Women, in front of a record attendance of 3,053, beat Blackburn Rovers Ladies 3-0 at Ashton Gate, how delightful would it be for that to be repeated today!

Based on the presser we won’t see James, King or Tanner but Williams, Kalas, Baker, Semyeno Conway and Atkinson are back in the reckoning today.  NP also made clear that some players are not on-side and he will do everything he can to get rid of them. While we can (and already have started to) speculate about which players he is referencing we will need to wait to see what happens.

Ahead of the break Blackburn Rovers endured their heaviest ever home defeat, going down  seven-nil at the hands of Fulham, a game which also included a red card for van Hecke, this was followed by a 3-1 win against Sheffield United. They are currently seventh on 26 points. Based on the last six games they are 12th in the form league (3 wins, 2 defeats and a draw - 10 points) whereas we are in 24th place with 5 defeats and 1 win - 3 points. The last three season has seen them finish 15th, 11th and 15th.

Diaz has been the main man for Blackburn Rovers this season. The Chilean international has scored 13 of their 28 goals. Sam Gallagher is the second-highest goalscorer with five and has three assists to his name.

Their predicted XI: Kaminski, Nyambe, Lenihan, Wharton, Pickering; Travis, Rothwell, Buckley; Poveda, Dolan, Brereton.

This week Derby County and Reading were both deducted points, changing the standings at the foot of the table.

Blackburn were one of the first clubs to be part of a historical shift in which football clubs with a working-class background took over the game from the clubs that were associated with a school, such as Oxford University, Old Carthusians and Old Etonians. A topic explored in an excellent Netflix series called ‘The English Game’ which focuses on football’s class dynamics in the late 19th century, a pivotal period of the sport’s development. In  the 20th century the sport would come to be called, albeit romantically, ‘the people’s game,’ as the world’s working-class took football to heart. As football grew and diversified, so did its class dynamics, and not always in straightforward ways. The English Game is written by Julian Fellowes who had a huge hit with Downton Abbey and has become known for focusing his attention on stories of the privileged elite and the working-class with whom they share uneasy social space. Rather than employ antagonistic ‘hero-villain’ plot devices, Fellowes prefers a degree of mutual empathy and political ambivalence between characters as they liaise across class divides. It is well worth a watch: https://www.netflix.com/je/title/80244928

Along with eleven other clubs, Blackburn were the founder members of the Football League in1888. Two years later, they moved into Ewood Park, a stadium that remains their home to this day.

Jack Walker's investment in Blackburn Rovers spearheaded the club's ascent to Premier League glory, and Kenny Dalglish believes we will never see this happen again in English football: https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/blackburn-rovers-and-the-jack-walker-years-kenny-dalglish-1106707

Dalglish: ‘That's not going to happen again, some local chap coming up with the money, putting it in and being as successful as he was. Jack Walker said 'I was born and brought up here. I have got a steel business here, I own an airline here and I just want to give something back to the people of Blackburn.’

Nevertheless, our major shareholder has said pretty much the same thing and put his money where his mouth is!

The following comparison, between Mr Walker and Mr Lansdown, illustrates that they had certain things in common, such as investing huge sums into their respective clubs and living in the Channel Islands, there are, however, also differences beyond the fact that one was a millionaire and the other is a billionaire. The significant difference is what their remarkable contributions have achieved. I’m not, for one moment, belittling SL’s astonishing generosity, merely highlighting a fundamental difference. Only time will prove if Kenny D is right.

Jack Walker

Jack Walker (19 May 1929 – 17 August 2000) was a British industrialist and businessman, who lived in Jersey. Walker built his fortune in the steel industry, amassing a personal fortune of £600 million. He then went on to become the owner and benefactor of Blackburn Rovers Football Club, winning a Premiership title under his guidance.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2000/aug/19/guardianobituaries.football

Steve Lansdown

Stephen Philip Lansdown CBE is an English-born Guernsey billionaire. He co-founded, with Peter Hargreaves, the British financial services firm Hargreaves Lansdown, founder of Bristol Sport and majority shareholder of Bristol Rugby, Bristol Flyers, and Bristol City Football Club. His reported net worth is circa £2.6 billion.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/stephen-lansdown/?sh=b738e9b50b06

Blackburn banter

• Having been formed in 1875, Blackburn were one of 12 clubs who would partake in the inaugural Football League season between 1888 and 1889.
  • They may be the only club in Blackburn now, but that wasn’t always the case. Three years after Blackburn Rovers had been formed, the town found itself with another football club, when Blackburn Olympic were established in 1878.
  • Their distinctive blue and white quartered shirts are not a result of the town’s famous cotton checks but a result of the club being formed by a group of public schoolboys in 1875. The two who called the inaugural meeting were Shrewsbury old boys; others attending were from QEGS in Blackburn and Malvern College whose quartered shirts were adopted by the new club – though with Cambridge Blue in place of Malvern Green.
  • When Blackburn secured promotion from the second division via the play-offs in 1992, it ensured they would be part of the very first Premier League season, and with it, part of an elite set of clubs. Of the 22 teams that made up that very first Premier League season, only three had also been part of the very first Football League campaign back in 1888/89. Blackburn’s promotion the season before made them one, with Everton and Aston Villa the others.
  • Back in 2012 Blackburn Rovers fans showed their dismay at their team and owners by letting loose a chicken draped in the club’s colours. The poultry pitch invader strode on to the turf at Ewood Park wrapped in a Blackburn FC club flag in protest at the club’s owners, Indian poultry processing company Venky’s. Blackburn lost the game 1-0 to a 89th minute Wigan goal, condemning the north west England football club to relegation from the premier league after an 11 year stay in England’s top tier.
  • On the 7th May 2017 – exactly five years after relegation from the Premier League had been confirmed, Blackburn’s relegation from the Championship was sealed, despite a 3-1 win over Brentford at Griffin Park that day. With that relegation, Blackburn also found themselves making a piece of history, they would probably have preferred to do without, as they became the first club to drop into the third-tier of English football having previously won the Premier League, which they of course did during the 1994/95 season.
  • It was back in February 2017 that current manager Tony Mowbray was appointed.
  • Their nicknames are Rovers, The Blue and Whites, The Riversiders.
  • The Rovers faithful’s disappointment this term has led to a decline in average attendance, with the number currently standing at 11,024, the night they recently played Fulham attracted only 9,326 supporters.

COYR!

CDF47C19-54E7-4B2D-97A4-2E3326BD0949.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 2

An excellent thread Mr Bean, apart from one awful statement. You said “Their distinctive blue and white quartered shirts……”  Aghh, this ruined my breakfast.  Blackburn play in blue and white halved shirts. It’s that terrible lot at Horfield who play in da famuz quartered shurts  

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Great write up ?

Blackburn 2 City 0 and the slow downward helix toward 20th begins.

Here’s hoping that there are genuinely 3 clubs below who will pick up less points.

One last wish from me (although I know it’s only a wish), I know and you know we’re probably going to be pretty shit today. I know and you know Blackburn probably will be the better side. I know and you know that a lot of players just aren’t very good and that Blackburn will play attractive football.

I’ve got no problem acknowledging that, I’ve seen enough of it over the last 35 years, let’s not double down on it though and really hammer that point either during the game or after. Nothing is going to change between now and January and probably not for the rest of the of season.

We are in a horrible fight which is never pretty and will offer only a few rewards

UP THE CITY ?.

Edited by 054123
  • Like 5

A good  summary of the upcoming game from LancsLive. An interesting stat in this article is that 28% of goals the City have conceded have been via a through ball or long ball over the top. Blackburn have some good attacking players so I’m not confident 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-bristol-city-xi-22211120.amp

Edited by pongo88
2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

A good  summary of the upcoming game from LancsLive. An interesting stat in this article is that 28% of goals the City have conceded have been via a through ball or long ball over the top. Blackburn have some good attacking players so I’m not confident 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-bristol-city-xi-22211120.amp

Are you not? ??

Gutted to be missing game due to birth of new boy. After Pearson’s comments midweek (players not wanting to be here will be sold) and the realisation we don’t create/score enough at home, I think today he will go more attacking and we may see Semenyo & COD in actual wide positions hopefully making for a good game to watch. 

1-1 with city equalising late first half (Weimann) and then a good solid second half which brings no more goals but enthusiasm. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1
8 minutes ago, brad blit said:

Gutted to be missing game due to birth of new boy. After Pearson’s comments midweek (players not wanting to be here will be sold) and the realisation we don’t create/score enough at home, I think today he will go more attacking and we may see Semenyo & COD in actual wide positions hopefully making for a good game to watch. 

1-1 with city equalising late first half (Weimann) and then a good solid second half which brings no more goals but enthusiasm. 

You’re what?! 

Priorities, mate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Robin 2
18 minutes ago, brad blit said:

Isn’t COD part of the problem?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Enough fannying around now. A big performance is due and demanded . 
Contrary to Largish Nige I think a solid game today is more important than stealing a win.

The players need to stand up and be counted. On or off the ruddy bus they need to show professional pride and get stuck in.

We are behind the project and deserve this at the very least.

We know that the squad is unbalanced but the future is bright. We need to stick with the youngsters and give them the confidence to fulfill their potential.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Enough fannying around now. A big performance is due and demanded . 
Contrary to Largish Nige I think a solid game today is more important than stealing a win.

The players need to stand up and be counted. On or off the ruddy bus they need to show professional pride and get stuck in.

We are behind the project and deserve this at the very least.

We know that the squad is unbalanced but the future is bright. We need to stick with the youngsters and give them the confidence to fulfill their potential.

Today it is then ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

An excellent thread Mr Bean, apart from one awful statement. You said “Their distinctive blue and white quartered shirts……”  Aghh, this ruined my breakfast.  Blackburn play in blue and white halved shirts. It’s that terrible lot at Horfield who play in da famuz quartered shurts  

Oops, sorry p for messing-up your breakfast. I stand corrected.

55B65AEA-4ABE-4D36-AEBA-4989522FFC09.jpeg

First game I'm going to miss today in a long time, but if the players can't be bothered to get off their arses, than I can't either especially with the weather getting gloomier, COVID spreading faster, no social distancing (other than on the grass), nobody wearing masks and completely disorganised chaos on the pitch.

TBH, I'm not expecting to see anything different to the last 10 home games and I'm sure Blackburn will take advantage of that 

If any of you can be bothered to go, can someone take a deckchair for the opposition goalkeeper.