IGNORED

Blackburn Rovers home match day thread

10 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

How was that 2nd half performance not one of cowardice?

We reverted to a defensive set up inviting pressure

Because of the following:

1) Our energy levels began to drop in our younger players

2) The stamina of Williams is nowhere near there yet, scary to think of him when it does

3) Blackburn began to create overloads on the wings rather than trying to play centrally. A good coach and team who reacted well to our initial set up

4) When they did score we tried to stretch the game again and were on the front foot for the last 15, however see 1.

5) Whilst it was brave to set up with attacking minded players, the challenge today was a few players struggled to let their inner ‘Williams’ out when it got scrappy, it’s not in their nature 

6) Our shape meant they created nothing of note all game. Their goal literally came from 1 individual error.

7) I saw more yellow cards, shithousery and aggression than I have in years. My youngest said he couldn’t remember the last yellow card he’d seen. He’s only 7, but his principle was sound.

I’m not being awkward I’m just struggling to squeeze ‘cowardice’ in as a reason.

Edited by 054123
  • Like 5
2 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

The major concern for me though is that we only seem to be able to perform for half a game.  We were the better side in the first half, but why couldn’t we continue like that in the second? Instead, we did the usual surrendering possession and falling deeper and deeper. Their equaliser was almost inevitable, and it wasn’t just down to one player, it’s a whole team issue. 

We finished the game string however and that’s progress. If we can just keep the first half levels going for 95 minutes we’ll be in some danger of becoming a decent team. 

Their equalizer wasn’t inevitable we literally made an individual howler. Outside of that what chance concerned you?

As for your major concern, we today set up in a brand new formation of which the three integral parts were 2 youngsters and a chap you had been injured for a year.

I don’t think it’s a major concern. 

It’s about progress.

1 minute ago, SouthS22 said:

Mixed feelings about that one. 

Some massive positives - Williams makes us look like a different team and is a driving force from midfield, Bakinson looked good next to him for large parts of the game, and what a player Alex Scott is, even looked good at wingback which can’t be a preferred role for him.  Vyner showed what a good player he can be when he cuts out the mistakes and both Kalas and Baker were mostly solid in that back three. Benarous gave us something different, there’s clearly potential there. 

The major concern for me though is that we only seem to be able to perform for half a game.  We were the better side in the first half, but why couldn’t we continue like that in the second? Instead, we did the usual surrendering possession and falling deeper and deeper. Their equaliser was almost inevitable, and it wasn’t just down to one player, it’s a whole team issue. 

We finished the game string however and that’s progress. If we can just keep the first half levels going for 95 minutes we’ll be in some danger of becoming a decent

11 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

How was that 2nd half performance not one of cowardice?

We reverted to a defensive set up inviting pressure

I’d like you tell Big Nige to his face that our second half performance was cowardly.  No, thought not. 

12 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Because of the following:

1) Our energy levels began to drop in our younger players

2) The stamina of Williams is nowhere near there yet, scary to think of him when it does

3) Blackburn began to create overloads on the wings rather than trying to play centrally. A good coach and team who reacted well to our initial set up

4) When they did score we tried to stretch the game again and were on the front foot for the last 15, however see 1.

5) Whilst it was brave to set up with attacking minded players, the challenge today was a few players struggled to let their inner ‘Williams’ out when it got scrappy, it’s not in their nature 

6) Our shape meant they created nothing of note all game. Their goal literally came from 1 individual error.

7) I saw more yellow cards, shithousery and aggression than I have in years. My youngest said he couldn’t remember the last yellow card he’d seen. He’s only 7, but his principle was sound.

I’m not being awkward I’m just struggling to squeeze ‘cowardice’ in as a reason.

I don't buy it, we set up in the 2nd half immediately defensive. The only player that would have an excuse for fading would be Alex Scott after being away with England.

11 minutes ago, Malago said:

It's not a ******* play ground you belter ?

I found that 2nd half display cowardly 

31 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Will not be popular to some on here but thought Odowda was excellent today and Bakinson was also very good

Credit where it’s due O’Dowda had his best game for quite a while. My issue is with 7 assists in 140 odd appearances do we have to wait another 20 matches for some end product? Hopefully this will give him some confidence to kick on and not be another false dawn.

5 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

I don't buy it, we set up in the 2nd half immediately defensive. The only player that would have an excuse for fading would be Alex Scott after being away with England.

I’d love to know what football pitch you ever set foot on seeing as you are quite happy to call people cowards. Are you Roy Keane or something?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Their equalizer wasn’t inevitable we literally made an individual howler. Outside of that what chance concerned you?

As for your major concern, we today set up in a brand new formation of which the three integral parts were 2 youngsters and a chap you had been injured for a year.

I don’t think it’s a major concern. 

It’s about progress.

Have you been watching any games this season? It’s a major factor in why we’ve been surrendering so many, especially at home.  Start well, play some decent football, then get too passive, retreat further and further back, panic on the ball and start lumping it forward,  defence comes under increasing pressure and concedes.

if that doesn’t concern you, I’m happy for you.  Perhaps you can tell me where to get your rose tinted specs, I could have done with some of those to watch us in the second 45.  

As I said, there was progress, and  when we get James back playing alongside Williams and Bakinson I hope there will be more.   Even O’Dowda looked half decent today, so there’s got to be hope. 

Just now, BasSavage88 said:

I'm not calling the players cowardly. You can tell they were told to set up differently from the start of the 2nd half. 

Presumably Nige also told the back three to panic for the next half hour at half time too? We couldn’t play the way we did first half because our back three wouldn’t pass the sodding ball which then means Williams and Bakinson couldn’t get in the positions to start us going forward like the first half.

• Like 1
Just now, Numero Uno said:

Presumably Nige also told the back three to panic for the next half hour at half time too? We couldn’t play the way we did first half because our back three wouldn’t pass the sodding ball which then means Williams and Bakinson couldn’t get in the positions to start us going forward like the first half.

Where were they supposed to put it? The midfield completely changed its positioning at half time and were too close to them 

Just now, BasSavage88 said:

Where were they supposed to put it? The midfield completely changed its positioning at half time and were too close to them 

The midfield had to play deeper because the ball kept coming back at us. First half Williams and Bakinson were taking the ball off the centre halves and started us playing. Second half the three at the back were shitting themselves once Blackburn had that five minute spell at the start of the half and along with our keeper who again a looked low on confidence just kept launching the bloody ball.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

Have you been watching any games this season? It’s a major factor in why we’ve been surrendering so many, especially at home.  Start well, play some decent football, then get too passive, retreat further and further back, panic on the ball and start lumping it forward,  defence comes under increasing pressure and concedes.

if that doesn’t concern you, I’m happy for you.  Perhaps you can tell me where to get your rose tinted specs, I could have done with some of those to watch us in the second 45.  

As I said, there was progress, and  when we get James back playing alongside Williams and Bakinson I hope there will be more.   Even O’Dowda looked half decent today, so there’s got to be hope. 

Just all of the home ones and 4 away. Probably not as many as you, I expect ?

No, I didn’t see a last minute collapse or second half capitulation today.

Did you See that?

I saw problems with our second half, but we’re not a great side so you will see problems in almost every game this year.

I didn’t see anything that was a major concern. 

We finished the stronger side and over 90 minutes displayed more positives than I’ve seen in a long time.

• Like 5
17 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Think it's easy for people to forget that there's 2 teams trying to win sometimes.

Of course it's disappointing to drop points from winning positions, but it's a relatively common feature of football (granted, we've done it in an unacceptable manner at times this season). It's not embarrassing to draw 1-1 after being 1-0 up at HT. Blackburn are a decent side - at KO they were 7th and we were 18th.

It's normal to have periods where you have to defend in games, certainly against teams notably above you in the table. Despite defending a lot in the 2nd half, we still created a very good chance for Wells and were the team pushing to win it at the end.

Obviously it would be great to be on the front foot all game, but even the best teams in the league can't do that, and we're a LONG way away from being one of the best in the league.

• Like 7
38 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

The major concern for me though is that we only seem to be able to perform for half a game.

It’s, perhaps, normal that the tempo dropped in the second half as we had starters coming back from injury and not up to match fitness. 
We have such an lopsided squad made up of Dad’s Army and Boy Scouts we can’t hope to have the consistency required until that is addressed. 

A much improved performance. In the first half we played some nice stuff and deserved the lead. For the first 30 mins of the second half it was our usually habit of failing to retain possession. 

The long throw in is becoming a concern - we seem very susceptible to being caught on the break. 

Positives today: 

COD and Bakinson both had a decent game. 

Scott stuck to his task in an unfamiliar role and his set piece delivery was impressive.

Vyner looked solid.

Williams’ return is a big plus. 

Benarous looked much better today. 

We finished the game strongly. 

Edited by Offside
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, SouthS22 said:

How many teams in this league are capable of dominating an opponent for 90 minutes? Or even 60 minutes? Three, probably.

City can try to boss the game but it's bloody hard going, especially when the opposition have as good, or even better, players in their side.

6 hours ago, RedM said:

DaSilva not appearing to be injured as warming up with the rest of the squad right now. So dropped it is.

Edit. Now running the touchline by himself and a coach watching, fitness test like

It’s quite normal under Nige / Rennie for non playing squad members to do the equivalent fitness work of someone who played….to keep them topped up if needed.

2 hours ago, mozo said:

How many teams in this league are capable of dominating an opponent for 90 minutes? Or even 60 minutes? Three, probably.

City can try to boss the game but it's bloody hard going, especially when the opposition have as good, or even better, players in their side.

I’m not talking about dominating, just simply retaining the ball for periods of time to break up the opponent’s play and relieve the pressure on our defence.  It felt like deja vu again today for most of the second half, and I’ve lost count of how often we’ve retreated in that way after half time. The difference this time was that we did actually manage to respond after they’d scored, which was a big change on the collapses we’ve seen before.  Can we say that was down to us and the amount of energy we forced Blackburn to use to get back level? let’s give ourselves the benefit of doubt and say yes and hope that we can be more positive for longer on Weds. 

• Like 1

I prefer to look at the positives. We go a reaction today which is a major plus point. We also got a clear indication of the players who are out of favour. I thought Williams, Baker and COD stood out. Vyner was solid. Second half was clearly a team short on confidence although for all of their possession they had just the one shot on target. Substitutions were positive. We have to keep picking up points wherever possible and get to that transfer window.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s, perhaps, normal that the tempo dropped in the second half as we had starters coming back from injury and not up to match fitness. 
We have such an lopsided squad made up of Dad’s Army and Boy Scouts we can’t hope to have the consistency required until that is addressed. 

The squad is not balanced for sure but I’m not convinced on the coming back from injury argument.  We’ve seen the same thing happen many times this season, especially at home, with different members of the squad on the pitch. Perhaps it’s a fitness thing, but given that we’re being told the team is fitter this year than ever, I think more likely it’s more a confidence issue, with likely some bad decision making also in the mix.  We would need less energy anyway if we were able to keep better possession because there’s less running needed to chase the ball down.  Bakinson, Scott, ODowda, and Williams were a big improvement in the first half, and I think James will make a difference when he’s back, so maybe we can address that better in the not too distant future if we can keep them all injury free. 

52 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

This was the moment to maybe make it 2-0.

Benarous had been playing with confidence, but was maybe too keen to show the crowd what he can do on the ball there.

Rather than a simple pass to Bakinson, he turned into 3 players of traffic that became 4 Blackburn players when he had his shot.

I liked what I saw from him though. Mostly his defensive work impressed me.

Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 08.12.46.png

Yes, agree and I cursed to all around me at the time.