Jump to content
IGNORED

Blackburn Rovers home match day thread


Recommended Posts

Just now, BasSavage88 said:

I'm not calling the players cowardly. You can tell they were told to set up differently from the start of the 2nd half. 

Presumably Nige also told the back three to panic for the next half hour at half time too? We couldn’t play the way we did first half because our back three wouldn’t pass the sodding ball which then means Williams and Bakinson couldn’t get in the positions to start us going forward like the first half.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Just now, Numero Uno said:

Presumably Nige also told the back three to panic for the next half hour at half time too? We couldn’t play the way we did first half because our back three wouldn’t pass the sodding ball which then means Williams and Bakinson couldn’t get in the positions to start us going forward like the first half.

Where were they supposed to put it? The midfield completely changed its positioning at half time and were too close to them 

Link to comment
Just now, BasSavage88 said:

Where were they supposed to put it? The midfield completely changed its positioning at half time and were too close to them 

The midfield had to play deeper because the ball kept coming back at us. First half Williams and Bakinson were taking the ball off the centre halves and started us playing. Second half the three at the back were shitting themselves once Blackburn had that five minute spell at the start of the half and along with our keeper who again a looked low on confidence just kept launching the bloody ball.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

 Have you been watching any games this season? It’s a major factor in why we’ve been surrendering so many, especially at home.  Start well, play some decent football, then get too passive, retreat further and further back, panic on the ball and start lumping it forward,  defence comes under increasing pressure and concedes.
 

if that doesn’t concern you, I’m happy for you.  Perhaps you can tell me where to get your rose tinted specs, I could have done with some of those to watch us in the second 45.  
 

As I said, there was progress, and  when we get James back playing alongside Williams and Bakinson I hope there will be more.   Even O’Dowda looked half decent today, so there’s got to be hope. 
 

 

Just all of the home ones and 4 away. Probably not as many as you, I expect 👍

No, I didn’t see a last minute collapse or second half capitulation today.

Did you See that?

I saw problems with our second half, but we’re not a great side so you will see problems in almost every game this year.

I didn’t see anything that was a major concern. 

We finished the stronger side and over 90 minutes displayed more positives than I’ve seen in a long time.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

I don't buy it, we set up in the 2nd half immediately defensive. The only player that would have an excuse for fading would be Alex Scott after being away with England.

 

It's not a ******* play ground you belter 😂

I found that 2nd half display cowardly 

Think it's easy for people to forget that there's 2 teams trying to win sometimes.

Of course it's disappointing to drop points from winning positions, but it's a relatively common feature of football (granted, we've done it in an unacceptable manner at times this season). It's not embarrassing to draw 1-1 after being 1-0 up at HT. Blackburn are a decent side - at KO they were 7th and we were 18th.

It's normal to have periods where you have to defend in games, certainly against teams notably above you in the table. Despite defending a lot in the 2nd half, we still created a very good chance for Wells and were the team pushing to win it at the end.

Obviously it would be great to be on the front foot all game, but even the best teams in the league can't do that, and we're a LONG way away from being one of the best in the league.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

The major concern for me though is that we only seem to be able to perform for half a game.

It’s, perhaps, normal that the tempo dropped in the second half as we had starters coming back from injury and not up to match fitness. 
We have such an lopsided squad made up of Dad’s Army and Boy Scouts we can’t hope to have the consistency required until that is addressed. 
 

Link to comment

A much improved performance. In the first half we played some nice stuff and deserved the lead. For the first 30 mins of the second half it was our usually habit of failing to retain possession. 

The long throw in is becoming a concern - we seem very susceptible to being caught on the break. 

Positives today: 

COD and Bakinson both had a decent game. 

Scott stuck to his task in an unfamiliar role and his set piece delivery was impressive.

Vyner looked solid.

Williams’ return is a big plus. 

Benarous looked much better today. 

We finished the game strongly. 

Edited by Offside
  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, SouthS22 said:

 Have you been watching any games this season? It’s a major factor in why we’ve been surrendering so many, especially at home.  Start well, play some decent football, then get too passive, retreat further and further back, panic on the ball and start lumping it forward,  defence comes under increasing pressure and concedes.
 

if that doesn’t concern you, I’m happy for you.  Perhaps you can tell me where to get your rose tinted specs, I could have done with some of those to watch us in the second 45.  
 

As I said, there was progress, and  when we get James back playing alongside Williams and Bakinson I hope there will be more.   Even O’Dowda looked half decent today, so there’s got to be hope. 
 

 

How many teams in this league are capable of dominating an opponent for 90 minutes? Or even 60 minutes? Three, probably.

City can try to boss the game but it's bloody hard going, especially when the opposition have as good, or even better, players in their side.

Link to comment
6 hours ago, RedM said:

DaSilva not appearing to be injured as warming up with the rest of the squad right now. So dropped it is.

Edit. Now running the touchline by himself and a coach watching, fitness test like

It’s quite normal under Nige / Rennie for non playing squad members to do the equivalent fitness work of someone who played….to keep them topped up if needed.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, mozo said:

How many teams in this league are capable of dominating an opponent for 90 minutes? Or even 60 minutes? Three, probably.

City can try to boss the game but it's bloody hard going, especially when the opposition have as good, or even better, players in their side.

I’m not talking about dominating, just simply retaining the ball for periods of time to break up the opponent’s play and relieve the pressure on our defence.  It felt like deja vu again today for most of the second half, and I’ve lost count of how often we’ve retreated in that way after half time. The difference this time was that we did actually manage to respond after they’d scored, which was a big change on the collapses we’ve seen before.  Can we say that was down to us and the amount of energy we forced Blackburn to use to get back level? let’s give ourselves the benefit of doubt and say yes and hope that we can be more positive for longer on Weds. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I prefer to look at the positives. We go a reaction today which is a major plus point. We also got a clear indication of the players who are out of favour. I thought Williams, Baker and COD stood out. Vyner was solid. Second half was clearly a team short on confidence although for all of their possession they had just the one shot on target. Substitutions were positive. We have to keep picking up points wherever possible and get to that transfer window.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s, perhaps, normal that the tempo dropped in the second half as we had starters coming back from injury and not up to match fitness. 
We have such an lopsided squad made up of Dad’s Army and Boy Scouts we can’t hope to have the consistency required until that is addressed. 
 

The squad is not balanced for sure but I’m not convinced on the coming back from injury argument.  We’ve seen the same thing happen many times this season, especially at home, with different members of the squad on the pitch. Perhaps it’s a fitness thing, but given that we’re being told the team is fitter this year than ever, I think more likely it’s more a confidence issue, with likely some bad decision making also in the mix.  We would need less energy anyway if we were able to keep better possession because there’s less running needed to chase the ball down.  Bakinson, Scott, ODowda, and Williams were a big improvement in the first half, and I think James will make a difference when he’s back, so maybe we can address that better in the not too distant future if we can keep them all injury free. 

Link to comment

This was the moment to maybe make it 2-0.

Benarous had been playing with confidence, but was maybe too keen to show the crowd what he can do on the ball there.

Rather than a simple pass to Bakinson, he turned into 3 players of traffic that became 4 Blackburn players when he had his shot.

I liked what I saw from him though. Mostly his defensive work impressed me.

Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 08.12.46.png

Link to comment
52 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

This was the moment to maybe make it 2-0.

Benarous had been playing with confidence, but was maybe too keen to show the crowd what he can do on the ball there.

Rather than a simple pass to Bakinson, he turned into 3 players of traffic that became 4 Blackburn players when he had his shot.

I liked what I saw from him though. Mostly his defensive work impressed me.

Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 08.12.46.png

Yes, agree and I cursed to all around me at the time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

This was the moment to maybe make it 2-0.

Benarous had been playing with confidence, but was maybe too keen to show the crowd what he can do on the ball there.

Rather than a simple pass to Bakinson, he turned into 3 players of traffic that became 4 Blackburn players when he had his shot.

I liked what I saw from him though. Mostly his defensive work impressed me.

Screenshot 2021-11-21 at 08.12.46.png

When was the Weimann one at the far post where he lost sight of the ball?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Swede said:

I prefer to look at the positives. We go a reaction today which is a major plus point. We also got a clear indication of the players who are out of favour. I thought Williams, Baker and COD stood out. Vyner was solid. Second half was clearly a team short on confidence although for all of their possession they had just the one shot on target. Substitutions were positive. We have to keep picking up points wherever possible and get to that transfer window.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

9 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Much better all round we looked like a football team . Well done everyone at the club it was great to see .  They had one shot on target . Yes we can be better but we looked a competitor today .  Cannot comprehend the moaners . It’s now getting irritating and to a point you should stay away . 

This was with a team line-up that included:

Vyner - OTIB’s League One Scapegoat Player of the year 22/23 when we get relegated

O’Dowda - much maligned (me included)

Baker - waste of a re-contract

Scott - talented but a RWB?

Bakinson - lazy, League One player

Williams - injury prone

Benarous - talented player who’s just become a regular in the u23s making his full debut

Martin - needs a rest, even after an international break

Weimann - just runs around

Lucky we had Bentley and Kalas then.

Seriously though, a team not one OTIB poster would’ve selected yesterday, containing players OTIB has already declared not good enough, actually took on a team in 7th place, and over the 90 were the better team. We created more chances, better chances, we forced them into tactical changes, our subs brought us back on top for a good final 12-15 minutes having seen Rovers equalise, when normally our heads would have gone, especially the way we conceded it.

It was far from perfect, but it showed that in this league if you can compete and win your battles you can earn the right to play, and you can start imposing your play on the opposition, rather than the other way around.  It was us down the left creating the 1v1 opportunities not the other way around.  It was our CM with time on the ball to get his head up and pick out runners that stretched their defence.  It was their players moaning we were a bit physical.

Baby steps….and no point doing it yesterday if we can’t follow it up on Wednesday too.

But if OTIB wants to knee-jerk negatively based on a 90 minutes, then they need to be consistent and recognise yesterday was “alright”, a step in the right direction.

 

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

This was with a team line-up that included:

Vyner - OTIB’s League One Scapegoat Player of the year 22/23 when we get relegated

O’Dowda - much maligned (me included)

Baker - waste of a re-contract

Scott - talented but a RWB?

Bakinson - lazy, League One player

Williams - injury prone

Benarous - talented player who’s just become a regular in the u23s making his full debut

Martin - needs a rest, even after an international break

Weimann - just runs around

Lucky we had Bentley and Kalas then.

Seriously though, a team not one OTIB poster would’ve selected yesterday, containing players OTIB has already declared not good enough, actually took on a team in 7th place, and over the 90 were the better team. We created more chances, better chances, we forced them into tactical changes, our subs brought us back on top for a good final 12-15 minutes having seen Rovers equalise, when normally our heads would have gone, especially the way we conceded it.

It was far from perfect, but it showed that in this league if you can compete and win your battles you can earn the right to play, and you can start imposing your play on the opposition, rather than the other way around.  It was us down the left creating the 1v1 opportunities not the other way around.  It was our CM with time on the ball to get his head up and pick out runners that stretched their defence.  It was their players moaning we were a bit physical.

Baby steps….and no point doing it yesterday if we can’t follow it up on Wednesday too.

But if OTIB wants to knee-jerk negatively based on a 90 minutes, then they need to be consistent and recognise yesterday was “alright”, a step in the right direction.

 

Great post @davefevs 

Add to that all the comment about lack of coaching . You could see clearly there had been a lot of work on the training ground . Maybe the work of Curtis and Ball is starting to pay off . Finally we did not have those huge areas of space on the flanks that typified the last group of games .

first half in particular we had a midfield moving into space and creating passing options. All things missing over the past few weeks. 
 

Tiny steps but we returned to the early season games of promise . 

If we hold our nerve , allow the evolution of our squad , we will have a very exciting and youthful talented squad in a couple of years .

For  Nige to have  been so bold pre match about certain players he must have confidence about what is coming and club backing .

Looking forward to see if our recruitment has made the required steps forward in Jan.
 

I love it .

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...