IGNORED

Was the resigning of the Gentle Giant the right summer move ?

Thank you Ashton 8

First of I want to start by saying I like Nathan Baker as a person and player, I might not have resigned him for the injury record as I go back to reading Fergies comments saying you always want 2 reliable centerbacks as it the most important area you don't want to chop and change. I actually think he's been not bad this season, my big concern is the balance of the defence .. Where is our Organiser/Leader in the back 4 ?... who has the game intelligence (Fevs? ) to read the game and sniff out the danger before it happens.. tell or younger full backs to get out and close down the wide men .. warn Bakinson & Massengo to not lose the runners  .... I always hear about how great Webster was bringing it out from the back (which he was) but what has been evident since his departure was his reading of the game skills and organising and marshalling those around him ..... for me that  became clear last season as it's not kalas's strength ... for the older mob they are both the Lawrenson to the Hansen or the Pallister to the Bruce ...  in citys case a organiser in Louis Carey or Shaun Taylor especially if we were always going for big Rob as while i think he's a really good signing and can hopefully get better with but it's a unfair ask "by the way you've got to jump up a division and organise everyone as well .. same with Pring (first year in championship) & even more so with Tanner ... all three players have performed well from where they are in there journey.

I've never felt Vyner was that type to organise and Cundy I've never seen play so don't know if thats in his locker but  yet again a big ask as it would be first time in championship.

I can't help but feel our talented youngster's are being let down by no pitch leadership ... our experienced players might be good pros but i just dont see them as  readers of the game ... Maybe Nige was hoping that James, Simpson and Andy King would fit that bill but you've got to be good enough (James aside)to deserve a playing spot first ..  

I love listening to the 3 peeps boys (thanks so much for doing it .. loving your work ?)  on the recurring should Dan Bentley be captain or Matty James .. I keeping thinking isn't it sad they are only the two viable options ... most decent teams I've watched down the years have 3/4 of those types plus a few of the leading by performances e.g. Kalas/Wieman etc.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

No one could shout more than Kalas was against Coventry. He seemed furious a number of times at either Massengo or Weimann ahead to the right of him. Couldn't tell which one he was shouting at.

I think there's been poor leadership in how the team sets up and in game changes. And that's down to Pearson or Fleming when Pearson hasn't been there.

Obviously someone like Matty James with his experience helps. But we've been poor even with him in there. First half against Coventry without him was one of better spells of football in a long time imo. Yes it was far from great! ?

On Baker, I would not have signed him either. If Tom Lees was an option then that might have been the better one imo. Not sure how many times he goes off injured or is unavailable. But he seems to always have played in recent years from what I can remember at Wednesday and now Huddersfield.

But I can't remember other frees at the time or possible loans we could have looked at.

Lees on £35k at Wednesday. Probably getting £20k at Huddersfield. Baker on a significantly lower incentivised deal. Fitness aside a better CB imho. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Markman said:

Gentle Giant - another of my obscure but quite liked bands - was playing Octopus only the other day

That was my first thought seeing the thread title, but couldn't work out any connection between that band and BCFC. Certainly not why they have resigned and left us.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep but 20k a week now seems a bit high

Yeah, maybe too high a guess….but even if they were both on the same money, Baker is a better CB imho.  The questions re injury do affect the balance of the debate.

Thought Baker has been pretty good this season….thought he was v.good today.  Loved him dropping his shoulder into Brereton late on.  Was a really good battle today.  He played a couple of really good passes to COD today too.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, maybe too high a guess….but even if they were both on the same money, Baker is a better CB imho.  The questions re injury do affect the balance of the debate.

Thought Baker has been pretty good this season….thought he was v.good today.  Loved him dropping his shoulder into Brereton late on.  Was a really good battle today.  He played a couple of really good passes to COD today too.

For me his best display of the season, though Poveda won’t have enjoyed facing him..

• Like 1