IGNORED

One mistake

Red Army 75

We were not at the races for the first 30 minutes after half time which was annoying because we looked solid at the back in the first half.    We're still not much off an attacking force and were lucky with the deflected goal but the lads showed spirit and look much more promising

2 minutes ago, Daniro said:

We were not at the races for the first 30 minutes after half time which was annoying because we looked solid at the back in the first half.    We're still not much off an attacking force and were lucky with the deflected goal but the lads showed spirit and look much more promising

It needed a bit more composure at the back and we would have seen the game out imo.

• Like 1

Just now, Numero Uno said:

It needed a bit more composure at the back and we would have seen the game out imo.

`Exactly - and given Kalas and Bakers level of experience you'd hope it would be them providing the leadership not making fatal errors.    However, it was  a more positive game generally  so that's progress!

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Baker too didn't go with Brereton.

Otherwise a very good defensive display 2nd half by everyone imo.

I honestly have to disagree, whilst better than we've seen recently I still think we look mentally at our weakest that we've been in the last 10 years. The ability is there, the players are arguably some of the better defenders we've had in that time period but in terms of their mental strength we're rightfully where we should be in the league.

Far too often you see a wild swing at a ball and when we lose the ball in attack you can almost see how concerned the defending players are with their shape and how easily they are pulled out of position. I don't think Kalas is as good as he is viewed, in terms of ability he's very much a Premier League player but he needs to be led and Baker is not the man to lead him, nor is any of our players. Kalas is an incredible 2nd man of a defensive centre back pairing but in order to make him play at his best he needs a very confident centre back to play alongside, one who leads and is vocal enough to keep him focused so his true ability shines. Baker is another decent centre back with ability but he really does lose concentration too often which was clearly on display for the equaliser today when he lost the main threat that Blackburn had.

All in all I think we should be playing 4 at the back, the 3-5-2 isn't too bad when the back three are confident but when they are not it just allows the opposition to make them doubt their positioning and as soon as Blackburn matched our wing backs today it nullified all of the threat we had from wide positions. We should be playing a 4-3-3 using width so that when we have to defend we can collapse into a 4-5-1 giving the full backs support with our younger players and still having the midfield packed to avoid being caught in the middle. 

If I were Pearson I'd be doing whatever was possible to bring in a striker who can play in the middle by himself, Martin isn't that bad but he's certainly not good enough to be our key striker and Wells just doesn't seem to be capable of playing on his own either, he's very much best suited in a standard front two partnership. 

One thing I'd like to see us do is play the 4-3-3 like so:

n3qxr48.png

I still think we need a better right back who has the pace to keep up with fast wide players so Simpson would have to do as I don't think Vyner always reacts quick enough to threats which leaves us venerable out wide.
I'm not a huge O'Dowda fan either but with the squad we have he is the right man to play that wide left position. The strengths I think we'd have in this line up is that Scott and Weimann would be able to rotate positions as Weimann is great at making runs into wide positions creating gaps so by having him start in the middle this would allow Scott to cut inside and Weimann make his wide runs drawing out players. Scott is more than capable at running at defenders hence I'd have him looking to cut inside and run at defenders causing the opposition defence to have to react to Weimanns runs as well as Scott running at players, this would cause a lot of difficulty for center backs. I'd have Massengo advanced on the right side too when attacking as he's more than capable to creating problems but his energy would also allow him to chase the ball if Scott or Weimann were to lose it meaning it would prevent quick counters. James would be ideal in filling gaps, his experience and positioning would give Massengo a little more freedom when going forward and with Williams sitting deeper we'd have a little more cover should Massengo be caught out. I'd Atkinson play alongside Kalas because despite Kalas being the more experienced of the two I think Atkinson shows a lot more confidence on the ball and in defending and I think this would benefit Kalas.

I think Pearson is trying to create balance in the starting line ups but the issue we have is that when playing 3 at the back our centre backs do not look natural, they look like they are constantly trying to figure out who should be dealing with what threat, I'd see us get back to basics, have the two at the back with our full backs concentrating on defence first and attacking support second hence I'd take Pring over DaSilva as I think DaSilva is already set in his ways, Pring is younger and could be taught to focus on his defensive side as a priority.

All of this aside I think we really need to be looking for new clubs for Martin and Wells as soon as we can and should be looking to bring in a solid right back and a striker who looks to draw defenders out of position with pacey runs and who is more of a "fox in the box" type striker.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Dodgy_Giefer said:

I think first half we had lots of energy and hassled them into mistakes but second half we sat off and let them play. We don’t hold onto the ball at all well enough and constantly give it away cheaply. Joe Williams was a plus and we didn’t concede late so that was a bonus. 

Completely agree. It was frustrating that their goal game from a mistake, but for what felt like a long spell beforehand we did our usual thing of failing to keep hold of the ball and inviting pressure. 

• Like 1

I think why is a International defender trying to head the ball away when it's only a couple of inches off the ground when a lump into the stand would do.and why does our midfielder who is 7 foot cant win a header.me I think kalas and bakinson were the weak links today and both should be dropped on wed.Martin needs a rest as he did not offer a lot.on the whole not a bad performance nice to see the kids have a go in what I thought was a weird line up.and were was jay d Silva?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Crackers Corner said:

COD looked better and defended well too, I thought we had a good shout for a penalty for handball in 1st half

Good shout! It was bloody nailed on. I was right in line with it and the defender virtually caught the ball on the ground. Blind side of the ref though so I can see why he didn`t/couldn`t give it.

One of those where VAR (spit) would have given it for sure.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Totally.

Most goals conceded have more than one cause, a poor header by Kalas & Baker lost concentration.

Much better defensive display over all, though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Good shout! It was bloody nailed on. I was right in line with it and the defender virtually caught the ball on the ground. Blind side of the ref though so I can see why he didn`t/couldn`t give it.

One of those where VAR (spit) would have given it for sure.

I was in s23 and looked nailed to me too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Really thought the boys put a lot of effort in and deserved the win. Unfortunately one spinning ball headed away by Kalas undone us. So unlucky 

Yes, guess he was worried about swinging a left peg at it on the half volley.  Ultimately he mis-judged it.  Bloody shame, great strike though.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I screamed at both O’Dowda and Baker to switch on at the throw-in initially, they didn’t.  In some respects it wasn’t dissimilar to Barnsley’s goal from a throw-in.  Just needed them to switch on, communicate who was gonna pick him up from the throw, who was gonna stand in front.  The highlights don’t show that.  All you see is Brereton, having run a few yards off of Callum’s shoulder, lay a ball back to the crosser.  That was the first mistake for the goal…and we got punished.  It was right below me.