IGNORED

Callum O’Dowda (v Blackburn)

Davefevs

A mixed bag. Did quite well but really doesn’t use his assets to the best of his ability. 

And that decision to let the ball go out for a throw in was possibly one of the most cowardly acts I’ve ever seen on a field.

Better than his normal standard I agree, but that’s a pretty low bar. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 2

Taken his fair share of slating, whcih truthfully, has been largely deserved. We need to have clear ideas of where a player like COD goes with us. If he's floating around the squad, unsure of his position and part of irregular rotation I'd expect him to start annoying a few on here again. If given a run in this side though, he should hold his place down and start performing in the way it looked like he might when we first signed him.

Edited by RedNachos

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

A mixed bag. Did quite well but really doesn’t use his assets to the best of his ability. 

And that decision to let the ball go out for a throw in was possibly one of the most cowardly acts I’ve ever seen on a field.

Definitely wasn’t cowardly. There was no other City player anywhere near. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

But there was only one defender anywhere near him. He has a chance to put real pressure on him. He chose not to try - not exactly brave. He didn’t back himself. 

Couldn’t agree more. Said exactly the same thing at the time. Could have turned and gone straight at the defender into the box.

Sums up COD as a player sadly. 

• Like 2

Pleased to see this. Few points:

- His getting the fullback a card was genius shithousing. He was a yard into our half, two players in front of him and stopped to get the challenge. He already had the better of him, and got a card from a “low chance” situation

- The throw in. Our tactic is Kalas long throw. He had no real back up had he kept it in, so again, intelligent 

- The goal. Lucky somewhat, but the ball to Weimann for the 1-2 again, top notch.

He was second only to Williams for me today

• Like 3

He had a good game today, but I was surprised that Blackburn allowed him to do so much attacking in the first half. I expected Tony Mowbray to change things in the second half, and make O’Dowda play more as a full back, which he did. City had difficulty adapting to Blackburn’s change of formation / tactics and just couldn’t retain possession for lengthy periods. Overall, a draw against Blackburn was a good result 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Pleased to see this. Few points:

- His getting the fullback a card was genius shithousing. He was a yard into our half, two players in front of him and stopped to get the challenge. He already had the better of him, and got a card from a “low chance” situation

- The throw in. Our tactic is Kalas long throw. He had no real back up had he kept it in, so again, intelligent 

- The goal. Lucky somewhat, but the ball to Weimann for the 1-2 again, top notch.

He was second only to Williams for me today

Just remembered….thought he was 45:55 to win that header v Nyambe that allowed Weimann to get on the ball and create the assist.  Showed heart today…something I’ve questioned a lot in the past.

• Like 2

Just now, pongo88 said:

He had a good game today, but I was surprised that Blackburn allowed him to do so much attacking in the first half. I expected Tony Mowbray to change things in the second half, and make O’Dowda play more as a full back, which he did. City had difficulty adapting to Blackburn’s change of formation / tactics and just couldn’t retain possession for lengthy periods. Overall, a draw against Blackburn was a good result 

There haven’t been many times this season we’ve forced our opponents to abandon their starting system and make a big change….like Mowbray did today.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Just remembered….thought he was 45:55 to win that header v Nyambe that allowed Weimann to get on the ball and create the assist.  Showed heart today…something I’ve questioned a lot in the past.

Agree - he was totally committed. And the number of times the ball to him from CM was on was huge. I think those highlighting “the throw in” situation are betraying prejudice against a wholehearted performance- which I agree, hasn’t always been evident

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I thought that was a strange one...but not as strange as the looks he got from the forwards that had made good runs into the box. They certainly weren't too happy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There was another O'Dowda header earlier in the half from which he won a free kick around the half way line. Won the ball knowing full well that he'd take a clattering - he chose to "take one for the team". Another illustration of commitment and bravery that he's perhaps lacked in the past.

Played well today. Hopefully we see more performances like this out of him. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

If this COD keeps turning up he'll have a seat on the bus.

Or the cynics may suggest its because his contract is up next summer and he can sign a pre contract in January with a new suitor.

Still fair play to him that was a decent performance today.

32 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

There was another O'Dowda header earlier in the half from which he won a free kick around the half way line. Won the ball knowing full well that he'd take a clattering - he chose to "take one for the team". Another illustration of commitment and bravery that he's perhaps lacked in the past.

Played well today. Hopefully we see more performances like this out of him. 

That was the one where he got Nyambe booked.

He’s set his benchmark.

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There haven’t been many times this season we’ve forced our opponents to abandon their starting system and make a big change….like Mowbray did today.

Exactomondo! And we did that with Benarous, Scott, Bakinson and Vyner...extraordinary!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

Exactomondo! And we did that with Benarous, Scott, Bakinson and Vyner...extraordinary!

It is strange........and what Nige will say is it has vindicated his decision to dump one or two so called senior players. It goes to show that if you have players simply prepared to "run around a bit" on top of carrying out the technical and tactical stuff at that level you can compete in a game. Go back a couple of weeks when we got obliterated 3-1 in 45 minutes by 10 men and it's hard to have sympathy for anyone left out. It was only composure that cost us today not effort or tactics. That really is an improvement over what we have been seeing lately.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 3

Just now, Davefevs said:

Vyner was really solid today.  How about that “skill-spot” on the touchline too?  Must be on the bus ?

I think he ended up losing the ball but that skill was insane. Probably a showreel highlight of this season guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

See the source image