IGNORED

Farewell to Ole

Jerseybean

8 minutes ago, Leveller said:

That’s a bit of an odd historical perspective, perhaps based on your age? Were you around in the 1960s? Granted they were not a glamour club before Busby in the 1950s, but the Busby Babes era, the Munich air crash, the Best/Charlton/Law combo, the first European Cup win in 1968 meant they were THE glamour club well before Liverpool’s emergence in the 1970s. So the Ferguson era was a re-emergence from a period in the doldrums, and I’m sure they had plenty of glory seeking fans nationwide, well before the Beckham/Giggs/ Scholes etc team came along. There were football and gloryhunters before the Premier League.

Yes, probably an age perspective.

I view that 60s era through the black and white filter as being an age of Stanley Matthews, Blackpool, Burnley, Bert Troutmann and the heavy leather ball with laces.

I'm not trying to diminish it but rather don't think that it has much connection with modern day football barring families who have supported the same club for generations and pass on the memories.

City's greatest glory days were under Harry Thickett with IIRC losing an FA cup final 1-0 and coming third in the league; though that was all before the Great War.

My clock started with seeing (on the telly) Alan Dicks and the team on the open topped bus celebrating promotion. This was probably also my first awareness that there was more to football than kicking a ball around the back garden and that there was a big team in Bristol.

I would have known about Rovers before City as we used to go to Eastville market and I knew that a team called Rovers played football at the adjoining ground.

One of the strangest things to happen is him getting 3 years - for a lot of that time they could have got Pochettino instead.

Ruined my corn flakes that they’re looking for an interim solution. Ends hopes that they could rescue us from what’s looking like a tricky situation and relationship that’s going south.

3 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

as per the title seems the decision has been made: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59364319

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

I saw the thread title and thought that Rob F has had enough !   ?

So did I!

As long as he's still posting here and making the occassional appearance on OSIB then I'm happy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Zidane is favourite I think. Can’t see that working out too well though 

I know Leeds have done well with their guy but I think Zidane doesn't speak English, surely having to coach through a translator just adds yet another hassle. 

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Edited by Redstart
Duplicated

51 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Inevitable after that performance yesterday- they were absolutely dreadful.

Anyone else think Ronaldo while a truly legendary goal scorer, was a purely indulgent signing and has made them worse?

No.

Ronaldo contributes every game. Look at the likes of Maguire and Shaw for the problem. Compare their form now to at the Euros

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Long term they are a run of the mill big club like Aston Villa.

They struck lucky in the mid 90s by having half a dozen top class youth players come through at the same time as their appointing a decent manager.

This made them pretty much unstoppable for a dozen years.

Then that core of the team started to retire and Ferguson, seeing this and that the whole team now needed a rebuild, sensibly stepped down.

The Glazers want to keep taking money out of the club rather than pushing it on to compete with Man City so the future will be like the present: hoping each season to try to nab sixth or seventh to get into Europe.

All of those plastic fans who started to support Man Utd in the 90s are going to have few highlights in the future.

And the manager's office will have a revolving door installed as nobody can make them a top three team on the Glazers' budget.

Man Utd not comparable to Aston Villa in any way - a huge difference in history,size,fanbase and expectations.

I'm not sure the Youth Team (class of 92) can be described as lucky as they were nurtured, coached and blended in to first team with experienced pros perfectly by AF.  Certainly not a regular occurrence by any means but the vision by AF, and balls to move on big names like Hughes, Ince and Kanchelskis was massive.

Alex Ferguson was ready to stand down anyway due to the years he had put in and his age (also wanted to spend more time with his wife).

Not sure how old you are - but Man Utd have always attracted masses of new fans (all over the world) - even during the 80s when they only won the FA Cup - and Liverpool dominated our game.

It is true that the Glazers have taken out huge amounts of money out of the club but have still spent massive in the transfer market and currently have the biggest wage bill in world football.

Unfortunately they have squandered alot of this - if you consider circa £180 million on Maguire, Wan Bissaka and Fred and all three just look plain terrible.

Best part of £90 million each on Pogba and Lukaku and couldn't get a tune out of either.

Best part of £115 million on Van de Beek and Sancho (who both look quality) and Ole can't find a place in his team.

The real issue for United is Woodward who has obviously done well on commercial deals for the club but his football decisions have been awful.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ostrich said:

One of the strangest things to happen is him getting 3 years - for a lot of that time they could have got Pochettino instead.

Ruined my corn flakes that they’re looking for an interim solution. Ends hopes that they could rescue us from what’s looking like a tricky situation and relationship that’s going south.

I'm sure Brenda will be tempted with a sack full of cash. Don't think he is their answer either mind. Thought I heard on the radio yesterday or this morning that if he does leave you then Lampard is in the frame....be careful what you wish for.

Yes, probably an age perspective.

I view that 60s era through the black and white filter as being an age of Stanley Matthews, Blackpool, Burnley, Bert Troutmann and the heavy leather ball with laces.

I'm not trying to diminish it but rather don't think that it has much connection with modern day football barring families who have supported the same club for generations and pass on the memories.

City's greatest glory days were under Harry Thickett with IIRC losing an FA cup final 1-0 and coming third in the league; though that was all before the Great War.

My clock started with seeing (on the telly) Alan Dicks and the team on the open topped bus celebrating promotion. This was probably also my first awareness that there was more to football than kicking a ball around the back garden and that there was a big team in Bristol.

I would have known about Rovers before City as we used to go to Eastville market and I knew that a team called Rovers played football at the adjoining ground.

Noted. I think we all see things differently based on our age and the eras we have experienced, but that’s not necessarily objective. In historical terms Man Utd and Liverpool are actually quite latecomers as glamour clubs, in my view, compared with say Arsenal or Villa, but have been up there since 1958 with a few dips.

• Like 1

Indeed he is, but he does effect the way a team has to play, as he did when he was at Juve. There's a very good article from the Guardian, at about the time he was signed by ManU, explaining why it was a wrong move for them.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/aug/28/cristiano-ronaldo-held-juventus-back-just-what-is-that-manchester-united-see-in-him

Thank You for the link to a very interesting and insightful article, as ever from The Guardian.

Never has a truer word been spoken.