IGNORED

Email

Markman

One for the people that know computers and email!

Somehow I have an obscure email address ending btconnect.com - it is a Business email but I had it 25 years ago, I have no business or even BT Broadband but it still works fine set up in a Microsoft outlook set up which I know and like.

I move house next week and worry that it might not be recognised (it might be who knows) but all by paperwork is in there and so if I lose access I will be in a pickle!

I am wondering if I should open a gmail account or something and ping what I might need there just in case - but I don't know if gmail or Yahoo or whoever it is is the best alternative email option - any thoughts?

17 minutes ago, Markman said:

One for the people that know computers and email!

Somehow I have an obscure email address ending btconnect.com - it is a Business email but I had it 25 years ago, I have no business or even BT Broadband but it still works fine set up in a Microsoft outlook set up which I know and like.

I move house next week and worry that it might not be recognised (it might be who knows) but all by paperwork is in there and so if I lose access I will be in a pickle!

I am wondering if I should open a gmail account or something and ping what I might need there just in case - but I don't know if gmail or Yahoo or whoever it is is the best alternative email option - any thoughts?

It won't harm setting up another account to fire emails across to. Likewise outlook may be setup to download your emails to your device anyway, so you may have a local copy.

Take a look at your outlook account settings, make a note of the pop3 and imap settings.

As long as you are taking your computer with you it really shouldn't matter, so all of the above is just run of the mill stuff you should be checking and noting down.

Photon email might be a good bet, very secure compared to others on the market, probably a good one to move to anyway.

• Like 1

It won't harm setting up another account to fire emails across to. Likewise outlook may be setup to download your emails to your device anyway, so you may have a local copy.

Take a look at your outlook account settings, make a note of the pop3 and imap settings.

As long as you are taking your computer with you it really shouldn't matter, so all of the above is just run of the mill stuff you should be checking and noting down.

Photon email might be a good bet, very secure compared to others on the market, probably a good one to move to anyway.

Cheers - thanks - have to say as an emergency option Proton (I think it is Proton not Photon) email was a GREAT shout - dead easy to set up and really easy to navigate - on a basic level it does what I need with options to pay a little and get more should I need to - really good shout thanks

9 hours ago, Markman said:

Cheers - thanks - have to say as an emergency option Proton (I think it is Proton not Photon) email was a GREAT shout - dead easy to set up and really easy to navigate - on a basic level it does what I need with options to pay a little and get more should I need to - really good shout thanks

Sorry for the typo with the email, yep really good email, I like the fact its all encrypted, it's my go to email system for all important correspondence, so much better than the usual mail client suspect, glad it's of use to you.