IGNORED

Dean Holden on sounds of the City Monday night

Never to the dark side

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

We were at the end of year 4 of a 3 year plan, he had tried exciting attacking football and fell at the last hurdle. He then switched to ultra defensive mode, using two full backs in midfield for a long period, from memory, and then fell at the last hurdle again. He had run out of ideas and it showed, the drinking culture in the club was well known and the fact he still lived in the Sheffield area meant he had a lack of control over that. If he doesn't know why he was given the boot he also must have been very far away from the thinking within the club at the time.

He had spent lots of money but failed to win promotion. As a consequence he was told the budget had to be cut but didn't accept that.

Of course subsequently a certain Conference manager won promotion on a shoestring with a squad that on paper was weaker than Wilson's.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He had spent lots of money but failed to win promotion. As a consequence he was told the budget had to be cut but didn't accept 

DW didn’t mention that when he took part in an interview on one of the City podcasts. 

For me Wilson provided the most attacking and exiting football in years and we’ve not seen anything as thrilling since.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

DW didn’t mention that when he took part in an interview on one of the City podcasts. 

For me Wilson provided the most attacking and exiting football in years and we’ve not seen anything as thrilling since.

Of course he didn't but it was reported at the time. Also that he would have to reduce the coaching staff.

Fine if you want to be entertained in the third division for years perhaps but JW, GJ and SC all outperformed him.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Fine if you want to be entertained in the third division for years perhaps but JW, GJ and SC all outperformed him.

I boils down to one question - would you prefer to watch exiting and entertaining football week on week or dull and turgid one dimensional play and watching the grass grow?

I know what I prefer.

6 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The problem was the culture and environment created by Holden was just too...cosy. He unfortunately falls into the old stereotype of being a good no. 2 that gets on well with the players, but does not have that ruthless, or even mean streak that a confident, assertive manager and leader needs to be successful.

It even came across clearly in his interview last night, saying how he tried to lead by example, and naming all the "lovely" staff at the club. Sorry, but as manager of a Championship club you shouldn't be leading by example, you need to be a bit more dictatorial and take the reigns. Kick some arses and tear a strip of paint off the changing room walls as HT, if you need to.

He was Keith Millen mk II. Lovely, lovely bloke but not a no. 1. Huge mistake by SL that he couldn't see history repeating, when nearly everyone else could. 

It's surely no coincidence that the only success we've had in the last 20 years has been delivered by two men who were prepared to bang a few heads together if they needed - GJ and SC. They set standards and were winners.

Let's hope Pearson, who is a similar type, can also succeed given time.

What a load of bollocks!

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Wilson was at City 2000-2004 and certainly the last two seasons were a really entertaining. The likes of Tinnion, Murray, Peacock, Bell et al were a joy to watch. 

The last 2 seasons?

In his final one we scored a pitiful 58 goals in 46 games & let in 37, with loads of low scoring, boring games. We were the lowest scorers of the top eight..

In 14/15 under Cotterill we scored 96 (38 more!) in 46 games, winning the title by 8 points, but clearly not as “consistently” ???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

On 22/11/2021 at 13:09, Wiltshire robin said:

I believe so , rumour was he was really hurt by the sacking which I guess makes sense as he looked so proud when he took over .

He was sacked for losing 6 games in a row wasn’t he? A previous Head Coach held onto his job despite a far worse run of consecutive defeats than that ... 

15 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He was sacked for losing 6 games in a row wasn’t he? A previous Head Coach held onto his job despite a far worse run of consecutive defeats than that ... 

yes

Whilst Holden shouldn’t have been in charge in the first place I’ll always hold him in high regard because of the way he came across. Whenever any manager goes to a club they say how happy they are and chat shit about how big the club is but with dean you could see he was being genuine.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

yes

Whilst Holden shouldn’t have been in charge in the first place I’ll always hold him in high regard because of the way he came across. Whenever any manager goes to a club they say how happy they are and chat shit about how big the club is but with dean you could see he was being genuine.

Brill words - sums it up perfectly ... ?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The last 2 seasons?

In his final one we scored a pitiful 58 goals in 46 games & let in 37, with loads of low scoring, boring games. We were the lowest scorers of the top eight..

In 14/15 under Cotterill we scored 96 (38 more!) in 46 games, winning the title by 8 points, but clearly not as “consistently” ???

Iirc - the league was of different quality between the periods. 

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Iirc - the league was of different quality between the periods. 

Was a tough year 14/15….Swindon, Preston, Peterborough, Sheffield Utd, MK Dons.  Teams like Fleetwood, Chesterfield and Rochdale had good players who went on to play Champ football.  The fact we win it comfortably was a testament to how good we were.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1

19 hours ago, Super said:

Problem with that midfield is it lacks energy. Williams and James with HNM would be better imo.

Williams has plenty of energy (when fully fit..!)

I'd like to see that 3 with Semenyo, Weimann, AN Other in front of them.