IGNORED

Illuminated advertising boards

Tristan Cork

Hello all
Before I send my email to the club, I was just wondering if anyone else also has trouble watching the game because of the bright illuminated advertising boards around the pitch, or if it is just me?
On Saturday, it felt worse than ever, probably because it was grey and gloomy. When the floodlights aren't as bright as the perimeter ad boards, then it's hard to watch. This is especially a problem when the action is at the Atyeo end (I sit in the South Stand). It's like squinting at silhouettes, or the equivalent of going to the cinema trying to watch a film and having someone shine a torch in your eyes while you try to watch a film.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

It’s incredibly annoying especially in The Dolman if you sit in the lower tier.

I can’t understand the logic of showing a few thousand fans the same adverts again and again - it’s not like a tv audience will see it.

Just another example of prioritising (presumably) a very small profit before a very bad fan experience - thank you for raising it, I thought it was just me!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone remember what the ads were that were too bright? If, like me the answer is no, then it patently doesn't work as an advertising medium.

I was so blinded I just remember the colours. The bright white, orange, red and yellow ones were the worst. I think there was a white one for eBay, which made me never want to use eBay ever again

• Haha 2

I'm higher up in the Dolman so the reverse pitchside ads dont bother me too much, however the exit lights are horrendously bright and make the Lansdown stand look like a christmas tree. They could be half as bright. Do they not realise that peoples eyes adjust to the lower light conditions (OR THEY I F THEY WERE ALLOWED TO.) See how shouting hurts. Same thing with them super trouper lights.

I sit in the Lower Lansdown and totally agree they are too bright - especially the white and Orange - and I agree I have never bought anything based on these advertising boards.

I’ve also raised it with the club and here’s Jerry’s reply …

Just had an interesting conversation with our commercial team.  SO we have maximum and minimum level we have to adhere to due to EFL regulations so games like Blackburn which start in daylight and end in the dark they have to reduce the brightness as the light changes which they did and apologies if it wasn't reduced quickly enough, it will always end up on the minimum permitted when dark.

They advise that the boards are aimed for the TV coverage especially with the Stoke game being live Sky but there is a maximum and minimum brightness.

Cheers Jerry

Jerry Tocknell
Supporter Liaison Officer

I do think the club need to realise the effect it has on the ‘customer experience’ and I wonder if anyone has ever worked out if it is any benefit to the companies who advertise - or is it just the club raking in the money!

The more who complain may make the club rethink!

• Like 2

Remember a couple of years ago before lockdown there were 3-4 occasions where the club admitted there was a problem with the brightness/contrast of the displays due to problems with the sensors. Wasn't there on Saturday due to illness, so can't comment, but it is something that can be easily remedied, so there should be no excuses!

:laugh:, just read the above, so clearly I was fed some bulls**t previously. Find it laughable they have to manually change the settings in this day and age.

Edited by jaydee=inspiration
  • Thanks 1

I was so blinded I just remember the colours. The bright white, orange, red and yellow ones were the worst. I think there was a white one for eBay, which made me never want to use eBay ever again

They bothered me from time to time. The ebay one was ****in' awful though.

Hello all
Before I send my email to the club, I was just wondering if anyone else also has trouble watching the game because of the bright illuminated advertising boards around the pitch, or if it is just me?
On Saturday, it felt worse than ever, probably because it was grey and gloomy. When the floodlights aren't as bright as the perimeter ad boards, then it's hard to watch. This is especially a problem when the action is at the Atyeo end (I sit in the South Stand). It's like squinting at silhouettes, or the equivalent of going to the cinema trying to watch a film and having someone shine a torch in your eyes while you try to watch a film.

Yep. Been raised before a few times.  Same with the lights within the stands themselves.  As a glasses wearer both cause me unnecessary grief in the South Stand but nothing will ever get done.  Seems ‘customer’ experience doesn’t count for much in these areas. 

Edited by lenred

I've never liked them and for the money anyone in the ground is already contributing to the club it seems too much. Anywhere online you would have ads turned off for life with that kind of subscription fee.

They should go back to static adverts or if they want to be clever they could put a green board around the pitch and let the TV companies put some adverts on them.

• Like 1

I think in the Euros the boards changed dynamically by computer depending on the feed, so they'd appear in the right language, or be appropriate for the country. I remember seeing the same replay from different sources with different boards shown.

I think a better long term solution would be to have static ones in the ground, and just overlay their stupid animations on the feed for the TV audiences.

• Like 1

Hello all

In my previous life I had a customer who was - he said - behind the development of this advertising medium.

Went to see him with one of the Merchant Venturers who we were about to appoint and we got chatting.

Yes he said. We’re marketing experts. They’re going to be massive and very lucrative.

Not sat in boxes in your car park said I. Lo and behold the business failed…..

Related to that though me and the boy loved it when the red Dinder Dunder signs were flashing up. They/the club used an image of he and me from an away game at Hull.

My Christ we were paid a fortune in royalties for that image! ?

31 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

I sit in the Lower Lansdown and totally agree they are too bright - especially the white and Orange - and I agree I have never bought anything based on these advertising boards.

I’ve also raised it with the club and here’s Jerry’s reply …

Just had an interesting conversation with our commercial team.  SO we have maximum and minimum level we have to adhere to due to EFL regulations so games like Blackburn which start in daylight and end in the dark they have to reduce the brightness as the light changes which they did and apologies if it wasn't reduced quickly enough, it will always end up on the minimum permitted when dark.

They advise that the boards are aimed for the TV coverage especially with the Stoke game being live Sky but there is a maximum and minimum brightness.

Cheers Jerry

Jerry Tocknell
Supporter Liaison Officer

I do think the club need to realise the effect it has on the ‘customer experience’ and I wonder if anyone has ever worked out if it is any benefit to the companies who advertise - or is it just the club raking in the money!

The more who complain may make the club rethink!

The TV coverage explanation doesn’t make a lot of sense - for the signs pointing towards the Dolman crowd - I didn’t think there were any cameras in the Dolman that would capture this ?

• Like 1