IGNORED

Stoke City at home match-day thread

20 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Great write up.. thanks.

not sure what CF is going on about, we’ve been consistent all season at home ?

2-1 to us.. on the telly here in Aus. COYR’s

FNQ which channel is it on in Oz? Bill who I mentioned in the MDT is in Perth and didn’t think he could get it live on TV 

Morning all. Local Stoke fan here. Looking forward to the game tonight but not feeling particularly confident. Our last 3 results have looked good on paper but the performances (esp against Peterborough on Saturday) haven't quite matched them. Harry Souttar and Nick Powell are huge misses for us but we do have Vrancic who is playing really well and Tyrese Campbell who is getting back to match fitness after a long layoff due to injury.

winning 4 in a row isn’t a very “Stoke” thing to do so I’m expecting a draw at best. Hoping for a bit of entertainment to take my mind off the cold!

Good luck.

Edited by DownendStokie
  • Like 11
32 minutes ago, DownendStokie said:

Morning all. Local Stoke fan here. Looking forward to the game tonight but not feeling particularly confident. Our last 3 results have looked good on paper but the performances (esp against Peterborough on Saturday) haven't quite matched them. Harry Souttar and Nick Powell are huge misses for us but we do have Vrancic who is playing really well and Tyrese Campbell who is getting back to match fitness after a long layoff due to injury.

winning 4 in a row isn’t a very “Stoke” thing to do so I’m expecting a draw at best. Hoping for a bit of entertainment to take my mind off the cold!

Good luck.

The stats for the Peterborough game are a bit surprising;

Stoke 37% possession, Posh 63%

Stoke 327 passes, Posh 550

Stoke 7 attempts, Posh 14

But thats just the stats, its what you do with the ball and the most vital stat is that Stoke won 2-0 - looks like the second goal was very late into added time when Posh were all out attack.

If we can replicate the form from Saturday and maintain it for the whole game, we should win imo, but thats been the problem for a long time now - no consistency of performance. Its just as likely that we capitulate and lose 0-3.

2 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Would like to see this today;

Bentley

Kalas Atkinson Baker

Scott Williams Massengo Odowda

Semenyo Wells Weimann

What I think he’ll do;

Bentley 

Vyner Kalas Baker

Scott Bakinson Massengo Odowda

Weimann Martin Benarous

HNM in for Benerous would be my only change from Saturday (injuries allowing)

Tough match tonight, aren’t they all.

Stoke playing a back three (352 variant) are gonna potentially cause us the same probs that Blackburn did second half when they switched to a back three and pushed their WBs high.  Stoke’s WBs are naturally full-backs (Smith / Tymon) so will be interesting to see how high they squeeze our own WBs.

I drew some pics.  I did them in Stoke’s away kit to make it hard for @ExiledAjax…..sorry!

We can obviously go long, but if we do attempt to play out from Bentley, there are some things to overcome.  if we just allow Stoke to mark / split our CBs and we just take up standard positions then we are reliant on winning loose balls further up the pitch. (Pic 1 - ball is black circle)

70345F7D-4BA0-439C-9878-58AEAF1BC0A0.thumb.jpeg.ebcd43b5575aa8a577ce4ad13df4079c.jpeg
If Baker and Vyner split and Smith pushes high, then we can switch to Vyner (Scott needs to drag Tymon up the pitch) or ping O’Dowda.  Risk attached, but there is for Stoke too (pic2)

9473A7C2-4F5A-4A5D-9860-A9F1A2CB0B9E.thumb.jpeg.c9f590dceda1989153881e2366b0c0d3.jpeg
If Smith stays on O’Dowda but our CBs split, then we either play out to Baker / Vyner, but if they are marked too tight, then Kalas gets the ball.  If he attracts a Stoke midfielder, then that leaves someone like Williams or Bakinson free to pick up a pass and beat the first line of their press. (Pic3)

4075CD09-1D9E-4B8C-91BD-A0477B020CA1.thumb.jpeg.e3f2e16b39b4c18a87bef10789b3e648.jpeg
This of course is all a bit theoretical, so will be interesting to see how things pan out on the pitch.  But I will definitely be looking at how high Smith and Tymon play.

Up top, Brown is as energetic as Weimann, but Fletcher is their equivalent of Martin.  We need to take advantage that only one is an energetic presser and try to play on the side that Fletcher takes up.

Vrancic will play in the hole, leaving Sawyers and Allen in midfield.  Allen is busy, but Sawyers, nor Vrancic and great “trackers” and we must try to exploit that with energy in our “midfield three”.  I’m not saying don’t play Bakinson, but if ever there was a game to sit in the LS and just watch Sawyers, tonight would be it.  Bakinson could learn a lot….hopefully he’s been watching video clips.

Hoping to see more of what I saw first half and last 10-15 on Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
11 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

The stats for the Peterborough game are a bit surprising;

Stoke 37% possession, Posh 63%

Stoke 327 passes, Posh 550

Stoke 7 attempts, Posh 14

But thats just the stats, its what you do with the ball and the most vital stat is that Stoke won 2-0 - looks like the second goal was very late into added time when Posh were all out attack.

If we can replicate the form from Saturday and maintain it for the whole game, we should win imo, but thats been the problem for a long time now - no consistency of performance. Its just as likely that we capitulate and lose 0-3.

Typical possession stats for a team that score early on and then are comfy to let the other team have it in their own half.

image.png.6168b71399ba8c52dc25245b4a7752c1.png

Posh shots predominately long, just one on target….of the shots not shown on here, 5 were blocked.

Stoke are a 50.4% possession team over the season.

They also are a side that pass the ball generally, but happy to mix it when required.1EF7A375-98D9-4FB3-AA1A-8E0CC1329F4A.thumb.jpeg.336aafa584d57ed37816b204bbd6cc31.jpeg

Edited by Davefevs
  • Thanks 2

That difficult time of the season for me with myself in the home end and my wife in the away end.

For matrimonial peace a draw is always a good result. A thrashing by one team doesn’t lead to arguments but a narrow, maybe underserved win by either team will lead to a difficult journey back down the M5………but if it was in our favour I’d take it

COYR

• Like 1
  • Robin 1
7 minutes ago, TomF said:

That Stoke game in 2008 still hurts.  I think it was the TV game at 5pm and we'd stood in the away end delirious with how the 3pm results had gone.  2nd place was there on a plate for whoever won the game.   First half we simply didn't deal with Ameobi.  Second half we threw everything at them and probably should have come home with a point.

Still hate Stoke for the 'we'll never play you again' chats at full time.  Tossers. 

I remember before that game there was an evening post headline quoting "2 more wins and we are up" before facing a struggling Southampton and an average Wolves. We lost then drew and then had stoke up next which was a game we needed to get at least a point put obviously flopped it.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I remember before that game there was an evening post headline quoting "2 more wins and we are up" before facing a struggling Southampton and an average Wolves. We lost then drew and then had stoke up next which was a game we needed to get at least a point put obviously flopped it.

This is the Bristol City we know and love!  Every bloody time!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2