IGNORED

Stoke City at home match-day thread

1 hour ago, westonred said:

I wouldnt say outplayed for 45 mins we had a good 10 mins at the end of the half (you dont work for Sky do you ?) ;)

To be totally honest I’m in Malta atm and my Sky coverage crashed at 30 minutes so my ‘outplayed for 45’ was really based on what I saw in the opening half an hour. Second half the coverage was restored ??? what a great result! 

2 minutes ago, keflav said:

Bloody hell just took my blood pressure and it's not been that high since I was in hospital with hypertension, that's what 45 years of supporting city has done to me.. ??? too be fair a great battling performance and just what we all want to see from now on win lose or draw...??

I've had to have a whisky at full time to calm down!

• Like 1
Just now, ZiderEyed said:

Hard running from Martin and Weimann cannot go unnoticed. That quick to the ball, intense City, backed up by noisy fans at AG is a hell of a combination.

UTFC

Yep, thought both were great tonight, Martin murdered them in the air and did some great closing, Weimann Duracel bunny fantastic towards the end. It’s been mentioned before and think a fair challenge, that we don’t have enough players at the peak of their careers mid to late twenties, but tonight, both Dad’s Army and the yoof were fantastic. 

Very dodgy first 15 mins or so and hardly entirely safe thereafter, but plenty of chances created ourselves and looked to be a proper connection between defence, midfield and forwards. Think where Benarous plays makes a huge difference to a better shape, along with having attack minded wing backs (albeit think Vyner needs to concentrate a bit harder to cover Scott, Baker seemed a lot better covering O’Dowda on the other side). Can’t claim I had either Benarous or Scott/O’Dowda as wing backs on my “come on Nige/Curtis, it’s obvious what to do” list, so fair play, credit where it’s due. 

As others have said, fans great as well. The celebratory, rather than terrified, mood at about 90 mins was great to see/hear. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Hey JB, tell your Aussie mate to ave it! We hammered em 1-0 

COYR’s.

FNQ don’t worry he’s had a proper double-barreled onslaught from me…..after taunting me throughout the second half about late goals and Campbell coming on to win it, etc ??? a great result and the bragging rights are mine! We certainly did hammer em 1-0 ?

• Thanks 1
Just now, Show Me The Money! said:

Great 3 points but that match was awful. On another day we would have lost that easily. They should have had a pen and Scott should probably have been sent off.

Just hope getting the win just helps to boost the confidence and get us playing some better stuff and that was dire to watch I’m afraid

A lot of championship games are like that. Difference tonight was we were not bullied

• Like 1
1 minute ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Yep, thought both were great tonight, Martin murdered them in the air and did some great closing, Weimann Duracel bunny fantastic towards the end. It’s been mentioned before and think a fair challenge, that we don’t have enough players at the peak of their careers mid to late twenties, but tonight, both Dad’s Army and the yoof were fantastic. 

Very dodgy first 15 mins or so and hardly entirely safe thereafter, but plenty of chances created ourselves and looked to be a proper connection between defence, midfield and forwards. Think where Benarous plays makes a huge difference to a better shape, along with having attack minded wing backs (albeit think Vyner needs to concentrate a bit harder to cover Scott, Baker seemed a lot better covering O’Dowda on the other side). Can’t claim I had either Benarous or Scott/O’Dowda as wing backs on my “come on Nige/Curtis, it’s obvious what to do” list, so fair play, credit where it’s due. 

As others have said, fans great as well. The celebratory, rather than terrified, mood at about 90 mins was great to see/hear. 

Benarous' disciplined really surprised me - for a boy making his first few steps in men's football, he kept demanding the ball after he got battered, kept his shape (for the most part) when he had to track back, closed down his man with real guts and determination - a genuinely good performance.

Was meant to go tonight but can't afford the train right now, so gutted I missed out on the inevitable celebrations (have one for me if you're reading/posting on OTIB in the pub).

Signs of an NP resurgence? Or is that a bit presemptuous?

• Flames 1
1 minute ago, mozo said:

Sky just showed the Massengo vs Chester pen appeal and called it a defo pen even though Chester pulled on Massengo's hair with both hands! 

Pulling hair is surely the most cowardly of fouls?! Maybe pulling a beard is worse?!

I honest to god once had a centre back pull on my pubes at a corner, I think they can handle a little hair pulling above the shoulders. 

• Haha 1

Cracking result - we could easily have been 0-4 down early on ... great attitude from the young ones and the seasoned pros put in huge efforts too - Baker was outstanding tonight and Weimann’s work rate is often unnoticed but not by me  - the boys out there tonight were playing against a fabulous team and our chaps were obviously together and determined. We weathered an early storm where Stoke could easily have been out of sight. They didn’t convert all those chances though and we came through - it’s an awesome feeling tonight - I’ll hold onto it as long as I can ... enjoy the result everyone, cheers ...

• Like 11
Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cracking result - we could easily have been 0-4 down early on ... great attitude from the young ones and the seasoned pros put in huge efforts too - Baker was outstanding tonight and Weimann’s work rate is often unnoticed but not by me  - the boys out there tonight were playing against a fabulous team and our chaps were obviously together and determined. We weathered an early storm where Stoke could easily have been out of sight. They didn’t convert all those chances though and we came through - it’s an awesome feeling tonight - I’ll hold onto it as long as I can ... enjoy the result everyone, cheers ...

Great post 

• Flames 1
7 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Benarous' disciplined really surprised me - for a boy making his first few steps in men's football, he kept demanding the ball after he got battered, kept his shape (for the most part) when he had to track back, closed down his man with real guts and determination - a genuinely good performance.

Was meant to go tonight but can't afford the train right now, so gutted I missed out on the inevitable celebrations (have one for me if you're reading/posting on OTIB in the pub).

Signs of an NP resurgence? Or is that a bit presemptuous?

I’m going for lots of steps backwards so far this season, but slightly more forward, given the circumstances. Starting to get a tune out of players I’ll confess to having written off (Eg O’Dowda and Vyner) and introducing some exciting youngsters. And in a fair few of the games this season, despite some terrible last few minutes, we’re starting to see shape and lots of effort. That might not be all we’re aiming for, but it’s a start. Even injuries are better, we still get plenty of them, but seem to be fewer season ending types that we had in abundance last season. 

A light drizzling of January window activity and think we can finish in the 9th to 16th bracket and that in my view, represents decent progress. 

• Like 3