IGNORED

Stoke City at home match-day thread

53 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Fair play for sticking head above parapet.

I watched on TV. For the first 15 minutes I could only see one result - a battering. Then we scored and got better but without ever establishing parity of possession (this has been the case against EVERYONE for the entire calendar year, btw - looking like the away team on our home ground).

You display commendable self-awareness not to bleat about conceding from a long throw. Fair play again. Otherwise the name Rory Delap would be stuffed back at you. Or indeed the 2 most despised words in the English language, esp around here - Tiny Penis. Or, as we say, welsh gAss untc.

Massengo's rugby tackle of Ostigard probably was a pen. But only out here in forumland - they're never given by actual referees, in actual games, in actual real life. So, no dice. Next week, one of yours will do exactly the same and it won't be given either.

Ostigard's handball when blocking a cross in the first half was never a penalty, despite our crowd's howls of protest - exactly what a home crowd should do: get on top of the referee and opposition and bend them to your will if possible.

The foul on Vrancic was a yellow - our boy was off his feet but not out of control, not reckless and not studs up. Exactly the same as the yellow for our player in the first minute. The referee was remarkably consistent on this throughout the game, to both sides. Remarkably lenient, in actual fact, given the current state of refereeing. He actually allowed a game of football to develop. He let plenty of contact go unpunished, was unfussy, wasn't card happy. Apparently, tonight was the first red card he's shown all season - and he thought long and hard about giving Allen that 2nd Yellow. He didn't really want to because he knew it meant a Red but then decided, correctly, that he had to be consistent and show the 2nd Yellow , based on the other Yellows he'd already shown for exactly the same type of foul.

Fact of the matter is, Allen's cynical trip for his 1st Yellow was borderline Red anyway - and that was in the 1st half, O'Dowda was clean through, so you should have been playing the 2nd half with 10 men. Yes, our man was on half way and out wide but there was no covering defence and he would still have had the  time and space to collect the ball and head straight for goal with no-one in sight - i.e. Allen stopped a clear goal scoring opportunity. Imo. Just because it was on half way don't mean shite -  we were countering and you had no covering defence.

It was the only thing the ref got wrong all night. Apart from blowing up at 8 mins and 37 seconds - not quite the 9 added minutes advertised but longer than the 7 minutes you've quoted. Who knows what you might have conjured up with 10 men in the missing 23 seconds?? 

But no doubt, repeat the same performances at your place and I'm certain you'll have your "revenge". As you say, that's football. 

Enjoy the rest of the season, after too long you have a good team, rather than a collection of overpaid individuals, and an excellent mamager. You'll probably do what we've done in recent times - be in contention, then snatch 10th place from the jaws of the play-offs. Still, that's progress, for you. For us, this season is all about staying up. 

Christ. That’s a long Un for this time of the morning. Are you working nights too?

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, daored said:

Firstly where are we going to raise funds to purchase there players in January? Pearson has come out and stated the financial position of the club , I don’t know how  people expect us to get these players?

Talking about team spirit under Pearson, two weeks ago talk of Pearson leaving as can’t motivate the players 

Sounds like Ian. He’s best ignored!

8 hours ago, Keepers Ball said:

Stayed in hotel near the ground three years ago as i was working up there.

the room had one of those old consoles you had between beds to put the radio on . It was very 1970s

Shite-hole

I was there 3 years ago. Was so bored there I actually went to a Stoke game against Bolton I think it was! 

Morning all! It’s always better after an evening win….. 

Plaudits rightly being given to usual suspects last night, but I havnt seen his name mentioned and wanted to give a special shout to Zac Vyner.

Thought he played with maturity last night, lots of composed moments with the ball at his feet and some excellent passing from the back. Along with COD hes been at the club a long time now and needs to start concentrating on one position, being consistent and cutting out the silly errors. He’s started doing that last couple games and I hope he continues to grow in confidence, as he’s always been a capable footballer who’s never had run in team in one position to grow. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
8 hours ago, RedsTilliDie said:

Stfu u tosspot 

Very big and hard of you

I’m just giving my opinion which being an open forum I think I’m allowed to do. I’ll keep giving my opinion as well. 

I’m not faulting the effort or criticising management or individual players. It was a great result. I’m just saying the game was poor.

So deal with it

5 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Agree with what the stoke fan says some fair points.

Im sorry you were put out us scoring from a long throw!

The amount of goals i saw your lot score from long throws over the years!

Good luck to you too.

Hmm… I think my attempt at irony may have been missed here! I’m well aware of our history with the long throw having witnessed Rory Delap in action many times. Conceding from a long throw feels very much like being hoisted by your own petard (or whatever that saying is). Apart from that he’s also on our coaching staff so you’d think we’d be prepared!

I found it amusing that our fans were going mental at how long your throw ins took -drying the ball with the towel etc, considering we practically made it an art form in our earlier PL days. Definite lack of self awareness there…

• Like 9
10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You know that geezer Nigel Pearson, our manager? He was the one who spent a whole Sunday at Jamie Vardy’s house persuading him to sign for Leicester City instead of Blackburn Rovers - this was when Jamie Vardy was pretty unknown with a non league background.

Then Nigel Pearson signed Riyad Mahrez for £450,000 - both Vardy and Mahrez were instrumental in Leicester City winning the premier league and Mahrez was subsequently sold to Man City for £50 million ... yep this is the same Nigel Pearson who picks Andi Weimann for every game - what do you know that Nigel Pearson doesn’t?

Because Nigel seems to rate him ...

Thought Weimann was great last night, just ran and ran and ran. There was one point around 30ish mins where we broke from a corner and Weimann was the only one up top, busting a gut in and out of their defenders to create space. Getting the ball up to him allowed the rest of the team to join and from that point on it was sustained pressure - a really handy player to have.

I think if/when we have a more skilful team he will be a vital part of that and be able to show his talents a little more. At the moment him and Martin are doing the dirty work and not necessarily showcasing their potential.

Also have to mention how good Scott and Benarous were, O'Dowda and Williams strong too and I thought Massengo was decent when he came on. A really encouraging game.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, DownendStokie said:

Hmm… I think my attempt at irony may have been missed here! I’m well aware of our history with the long throw having witnessed Rory Delap in action many times. Conceding from a long throw feels very much like being hoisted by your own petard (or whatever that saying is). Apart from that he’s also on our coaching staff so you’d think we’d be prepared!

I found it amusing that our fans were going mental at how long your throw ins took -drying the ball with the towel etc, considering we practically made it an art form in our earlier PL days. Definite lack of self awareness there…

Find the reactions from your fans quite funny. The whole we should have 4,5 or 6 nil is always a funny statement because theres no telling how the game might have changed if you scored to go 1 or 2 up. What they should be saying is they had four or five chances to get their first goal. I personally think there was only 3 decent goal opportunities for you and so did the sky stats. 

On their forum, the thread is now 27 pages long. https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/302392/bristol-city-stoke?page=27

Was a painful one to take that was, thank god my short trip back to Devon wasn’t as bad. Fair play to the ones going back. Shame one or two felt the need to damage some seats, kind of like the way people react on here after a loss I suppose….So many wrong choices and rather unlucky, they seemed to waste time from the moment they scored. Shocking to think we used to play like that and enjoy it… dreadful to watch.

No one on this forum has commented on damaged seats; many or just a few?

The second highlighted comment sums up what several on here have posted ?

15 hours ago, DownendStokie said:

Well I thought I’d better stick my head up over the parapet!

I thought we were by far the better side up to the goal - and yes, being done by a long throw is really annoying!

After that we really didn’t get going again and as the game went on your players seemed to grow in confidence and belief. If Romaine Sawyers had half of that we might have done a bit better!

I thought we should have had a pen for your defender climbing all over Ostigard and the challenge on Vrancic could easily have been a straight red. Your penalty shout for handball in the first half was at the other end of the ground so no idea on that one. Allen's red was thoroughly deserved.

A minimum of 9 minutes added time but we only played 7?

Overall a typical championship game that on another day we could have won comfortably but that's football. Hopefully we get a bit of revenge at our place.

Good luck for the rest of the season ?

You're not the only Stokie in Bristol.

Just ask Harry and Bradley.

Oh yeh, and there's also the Bishop.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Some notable absentees on the forum today. Hope they're alright.

I wouldn't like to think they only want to talk when we lose.

These things take time. Trust in Nigel.

I do wonder whether a small minority of our "fans" genuinely hate football including Bristol City FC and literally only get enjoyment out of slagging the Manager, players and the club off? Is it because of the money the players earn and there is a bit of jealousy in there, is their opinion so important to them that they would rather see us lose to prove themselves right than the be happy at club winning, is it because they are high flyers in life and the club cannot meet their massively high standards or are they just miserable bastards who have such a horrible and/or sad life that they cannot even enjoy a win with everyone else? We all like a good moan from time to time but surely after a game like last night you have to enjoy the moment.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I do wonder whether a small minority of our "fans" genuinely hate football including Bristol City FC and literally only get enjoyment out of slagging the Manager, players and the club off? Is it because of the money the players earn and there is a bit of jealousy in there, is their opinion so important to them that they would rather see us lose to prove themselves right than the be happy at club winning, is it because they are high flyers in life and the club cannot meet their massively high standards or are they just miserable bastards who have such a horrible and/or sad life that they cannot even enjoy a win with everyone else? We all like a good moan from time to time but surely after a game like last night you have to enjoy the moment.

I think some just like the attention, even if it’s just ridicule, so they’ll deliberately be controversial.

I’m actually surprised that mug from Hampshire hasn’t been on here, banging on about us being so lucky last night that it doesn’t even count as a win and Pearson should still go!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Can't speak for the rest but I'm told I'm just a miserable bastard (according to Mrs Cheese).