Jump to content
IGNORED

Best Albums of 2021


Kid in the Riot
 Share

Recommended Posts

Was surprised to look back and see I hadn't started one of these threads since 2018, apparently. I'd like to mention and remember @One Team In Keynsham who sadly passed away this year, and was always a regular contributor to music threads, and had a fine taste in music.

I actually think it's been a pretty strong year for music, certainly in respect of the type of music I like. Particularly strong for British artists too. So, some recommendations to get us started:

 

Black Country, New Road - For The First Time

Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend

Squid - Bright Green Field

Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert

St Vincent - Daddy's Home

Gruff Rhys - Seeking New Gods

Mogwai - As The Love Continues 

Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg

Low - HEY WHAT

Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over The Country Club

 

Been lucky enough to see Squid and Gruff Rhys live in the past few months and have Black Country, New Road to look forward to next week. 

What have been earworms for you this year?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites



 

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Was surprised to look back and see I hadn't started one of these threads since 2018, apparently. I'd like to mention and remember @One Team In Keynsham who sadly passed away this year, and was always a regular contributor to music threads, and had a fine taste in music.

I actually think it's been a pretty strong year for music, certainly in respect of the type of music I like. Particularly strong for British artists too. So, some recommendations to get us started:

 

Black Country, New Road - For The First Time

Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend

Squid - Bright Green Field

Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert

St Vincent - Daddy's Home

Gruff Rhys - Seeking New Gods

Mogwai - As The Love Continues 

Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg

Low - HEY WHAT

Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over The Country Club

 

Been lucky enough to see Squid and Gruff Rhys live in the past few months and have Black Country, New Road to look forward to next week. 

What have been earworms for you this year?

Love the Black Country New Road album - saw them as a support act a few years ago and have been waiting for the album since then. Just pipped to the top of my list by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis’s album which is unbelievable- compounded by seeing them at the Royal Albert Hall last month. Also agree with the Wolf Alice album - they were definitely the highlights of the televised Glastonbury substitute earlier in the year. Top ten for me as follows:

1. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis - Carnage

2. Black Country New Road - For the First Time

3. Idles - Crawler

4. Amyl and the Sniffers - Comfort to me

5. Ty Segall - Harmonizer

6. Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend 

7. Courtney Barnett - Things Take Time, Take Time

8. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Butterfly 3000

9. Bicep - Isles

10. Slowthai - Tyron

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Red Rum said:



 

Love the Black Country New Road album - saw them as a support act a few years ago and have been waiting for the album since then. Just pipped to the top of my list by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis’s album which is unbelievable- compounded by seeing them at the Royal Albert Hall last month. Also agree with the Wolf Alice album - they were definitely the highlights of the televised Glastonbury substitute earlier in the year. Top ten for me as follows:

1. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis - Carnage

2. Black Country New Road - For the First Time

3. Idles - Crawler

4. Amyl and the Sniffers - Comfort to me

5. Ty Segall - Harmonizer

6. Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend 

7. Courtney Barnett - Things Take Time, Take Time

8. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Butterfly 3000

9. Bicep - Isles

10. Slowthai - Tyron

 

 

 

 

Definitely approve of the Aussie/Flightless influence.

Still hoping that Gizz will be doing Glastonbury or a major UK festival, announced a European tour with ZERO UK dates but a big tasty gap in the middle of it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Definitely approve of the Aussie/Flightless influence.

Still hoping that Gizz will be doing Glastonbury or a major UK festival, announced a European tour with ZERO UK dates but a big tasty gap in the middle of it. 

Only actually noticed how big an Aussie theme there is there when you mentioned it… four out of 10 is a strong message!

Am with you on the Gizz front… on a related Flightless note Amyl and the Sniffers have just announced a UK tour next summer including a Bristol leg. Missed out on tickets for their London show this month.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carnage  - Nick Cave is great and the first vinyl I have bought in a while.

I know officially A Hero's Death - Fontaines DC was last year, but I didn't get it until my birthday in January so it counts in my head. :)

Behave Myself - She Drew the Gun is excellent too.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

A few I’ve enjoyed this year are:

Gary Numan - Intruder

Texas - Hi 

Iron Maiden - Senjutsu

:yawn:

Agreed. Not in the same category as the earlier stuff, but more of a return to the more classic maiden sound.

Good solid album, and the writing on the wall has actually had a lot of good things said about it from non maiden fans as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
22 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Was surprised to look back and see I hadn't started one of these threads since 2018, apparently. I'd like to mention and remember @One Team In Keynsham who sadly passed away this year, and was always a regular contributor to music threads, and had a fine taste in music.

I actually think it's been a pretty strong year for music, certainly in respect of the type of music I like. Particularly strong for British artists too. So, some recommendations to get us started:

 

Black Country, New Road - For The First Time

Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend

Squid - Bright Green Field

Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert

St Vincent - Daddy's Home

Gruff Rhys - Seeking New Gods

Mogwai - As The Love Continues 

Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg

Low - HEY WHAT

Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over The Country Club

 

Been lucky enough to see Squid and Gruff Rhys live in the past few months and have Black Country, New Road to look forward to next week. 

What have been earworms for you this year?

Do Low ever drop a bad LP?  Criminally underrated really. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My choices have wandered away from what I have listened to in the past, so a real mix here.

Lizzo - Cos I love you
Valerie June - The Moon and the stars : Prescriptions for dreamers
Black Pumas .... re-issue
Lady Blackbird - Black Acid Soul
Arlo Parks - Collapsed in sunbeams
and my more "normal" stuff.
Paul Weller - Fat Pop
Reytons - Kids off the Estate

Next up could be the Lathums.

 

14 hours ago, Red Rum said:

1. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis - Carnage

2. Black Country New Road - For the First Time

3. Idles - Crawler

4. Amyl and the Sniffers - Comfort to me

5. Ty Segall - Harmonizer

6. Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend 

7. Courtney Barnett - Things Take Time, Take Time

8. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Butterfly 3000

9. Bicep - Isles

10. Slowthai - Tyron


Few on that list I will check out. Not heard any of the Nick Cave stuff, how do you rate it against his earlier stuff or Grinderman ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, redsince1994 said:

The Allergies - Promised Land

Fantastic funk & hip-hop artists from Bristol, and their albums keep getting better. Combination of sample based production and live instruments & vocalists

Thanks for the recommendation... a great funky way to carry on the good feeling from last night's game.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A double CD featuring the best drummer since Buddy Rich, Mike Portnoy.

If you love prog or want to find out what this genre is all about, this is the album.

CD1 features 9 tracks with vocals including an incredible take on Bridge Over Troubled Water (I never liked the original).

CD2 is just 2 tracks! 

Neal Morse Band take a bow! 

I'll be flying over to see them at Shepherds Bush Empire in June 2022. They really are exceptional musicians. 

 

16378404943068731487101386280386.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

My choices have wandered away from what I have listened to in the past, so a real mix here.

Lizzo - Cos I love you
Valerie June - The Moon and the stars : Prescriptions for dreamers
Black Pumas .... re-issue
Lady Blackbird - Black Acid Soul
Arlo Parks - Collapsed in sunbeams
and my more "normal" stuff.
Paul Weller - Fat Pop
Reytons - Kids off the Estate

Next up could be the Lathums.

 


Few on that list I will check out. Not heard any of the Nick Cave stuff, how do you rate it against his earlier stuff or Grinderman ?

Didn’t realise Black Pumas reissued their album. Cheers.  Did you see them in Bristol a couple of weeks ago? I was a tad gutted to have to miss it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Didn’t realise Black Pumas reissued their album. Cheers.  Did you see them in Bristol a couple of weeks ago? I was a tad gutted to have to miss it. 

No, I only discovered them recently. 
Came out as a Delux edition, double vinyl & 7" single.

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/black-pumas/black-pumas-deluxe-edition/lp-x2?channable=409d9269640032383539393264&gclid=CjwKCAiAqIKNBhAIEiwAu_ZLDpDBim0LcFIEN_0Z0mlz4agD4DKF6xmSVvXMbljTbm4is5Yg6gkcvxoC4JkQAvD_BwE

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

Talking of Craig Charles, why not share an album that I contributed to

He has played a couple from this on his shows. Not mine unfortunately 😁

https://bbprecordings.bandcamp.com/album/toxic-funk-presents-boots-of-paradise

My son is studying music composition at Uni and really has got into funk (he plays sax btw). That's a great track. What did you contribute?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

My son is studying music composition at Uni and really has got into funk (he plays sax btw). That's a great track. What did you contribute?

Ah that sounds great! Funk is amazing and has so much variety to it. He will do well as a sax player, always very in demand with that sort of music.

My one is "Brick Bounce"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, redsince1994 said:

Ah that sounds great! Funk is amazing and has so much variety to it. He will do well as a sax player, always very in demand with that sort of music.

My one is "Brick Bounce"

Many congratulations on getting your track onto a CD/playlist. You must be very chuffed.

How much of that track was played/programmed by you?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Wet Leg debut album out Monday. First two singles have been very good so high hopes for this 

They have 2 tracks on Spotify , and they have around 6 millions hits between them. I think I'll be checking the rest out carefully , the first two are very catchy but not sure if I could last a whole album.

On 26/11/2021 at 10:29, Red7 said:

21st Century Love Songs - The Wildhearts

I didn't realise they were putting new stuff out. Went through a spell where I loved them, have a few albums. Will check it out.

One Album I am waiting for is the K's. They have a few great tracks out, no news of a "long player" as we used to call them. Worth a look though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...