IGNORED

Sky Commentary

Antman

There was a passage in the second half where Stoke were on top, and Goodman said “this is much better” - then 6 seconds of silence before he says “for Stoke”. 100% odds on a producer was in his ear haha.

That said, I don’t care - if anything I always have enjoyed supporting us v “the elite”. We are to a degree an unknown club to lots of pundits, we aren’t in a football hotspot like the NW or Midlands. They are, in the most part, as thick as whale omelettes. Long may it continue, a promotion (at some point in the future) would taste even sweeter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pillred said:

First time in quite a while I never felt we sat back, a massive shift in the way we saw out the last 15 mins I genuinely feel tonight might just be a turning point the light is shining brightly at the end of that tunnel and I can't tell you how happy that makes me. 

When the board showing 9 mins went up I thought we started to, but thats when the fans piped up and that seems to encourage the players to realise what they were doing and push out more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

The funniest bit was, as Kalas was preparing to take a long throw, Goodman saying something like "there's no getting away from it, Stoke are a better team and have better players than Bristol City" (admittedly not unfair based on the play to that point).

10 seconds later, Bakinson had the ball in the net.

As pundits go I quite like Goodman. His comments are usually spot on. He was certainly right that Stoke were the better team…………..:rofl2br:They lost the game tho…..

I remember when we had Blackburn at home last season. Despite winning 1-0, commentators were going on like we would be happy with a point at home against a team below us at the time. Said Blackburn were all over us despite the only chances they had were shots straight at Bentley and gave Harvey Elliott man of the match because he was a Liverpool player.

• The title was changed to Sky Commentary
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

As pundits go I quite like Goodman. His comments are usually spot on. He was certainly right that Stoke were the better team…………..:rofl2br:They lost the game tho…..

He’s ok….but his Midlands bias is there for all to see.

Quest have done well with the likes of McAnuff (also on Sky) and Parkin.  They played predominantly across the leagues and don’t have this big-club bias / entitlement and are far more objective.  Their analysis is very good.  Quite like Dean Ashton too.

• Like 2

Think commentators can often get caught out by pre-game narratives. They come into a game thinking "Team X is good and Team Y is bad", or "Team X plays attractive passing football, and Team Y plays long ball", then commentate on the game in a way that suits that belief. We're likely all guilty of it at times, but commentators on the EFL can be some of the worst for it IMO.

3 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

At the end, I don't know which was most ridiculous.... referring to "Bristol" or discussing if we were now on for the play offs...

And also worth remembering that many "professionals" talking about our games are pretty clueless, as illustrated above. As soon as someone refers to "Bristol" or "Sheffield" I almost immediately question their familiarity with EFL football. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Quest have done well with the likes of McAnuff (also on Sky) and Parkin.  They played predominantly across the leagues and don’t have this big-club bias / entitlement and are far more objective.  Their analysis is very good.  Quite like Dean Ashton too.

Need more of the ilk to be honest. League professionals who have both played in, and not played, in PL.

• Flames 1

16 hours ago, westonred said:

Glen Murray in the studio banging on about Stoke should have had a defo penalty he doesn't notice that Massengo is having his hair pulled by the stoke player so if anything its a freekick to us 

I thought that for the Massengo one; it was at best 6 of 1, half dozen of the other. Certainly not a nailed on penalty. The Kalas challenge where he apparently "made no attempt to play the ball" was also bollocks.

But **** it. Got a win, channel that bias into some more wins 

17 hours ago, pillred said:

90%?? did you watch all of the game? I thought we were easily the best side after the first 30 mins and were in complete control for most of the last 20 were we watching the same game?

I posted my comment at half time. First half we were second best for a good 35 minutes or so 

second half much better. Very little quality but plenty of guts and determination 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agreed, Parkin is very good on the Totally Football League show podcast too. So is Adrian Clarke, who is also very good with analytics.

It amazes me how many former big name footballers seem to have little real insight into the game, or are unable to communicate it if they do. I guess they get the gigs because of their names rather than any skill.

28 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yeah, Gary Neville's levels are, er, another level, but I hear his father's levels were something else again. Mind, nothing to your Somerset Levels ....

Somerset Levels will always be vastly superior, of course..

• Like 1